Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,299 members, 7,811,890 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark (7595 Views)

Okorocha Will Contest 2015 Presidential Election - Imo Dept Gov / I Will Contest Presidency In 2015 – Buhari Declares / I Will Contest 2015 Presidency - Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Depointer1: 11:43pm On May 25, 2012
ABUJA—Against the backdrop of the resolution of the 19 northern governors not to support any presidential candidate from the southern part of the country in 2015 election, elder statesman and Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark declared, yesterday, that President Goodluck Jonathan will contest the 2015 presidential election because former Presidents of the country contested for second term in office.

The northern governors at their forum last week, expressed their determination to sink their differences and unite towards producing the president in the next election.

Addressing newsmen in Abuja as part of activities to mark his 85th birthday today, Chief Clark, however, said section 137 of the 1999 Constitution gives President Jonathan the constitutional right to seek for a second term in office, adding, “I am not aware whether he made any commitment to contest for only one term to Nigerians which is irrelevant at the moment. Personal promises cannot override the constitution of Nigeria”.

Making reference to former President Shehu Shagari to support his point that Jonathan must run for 2015 Presidential election, Chief Clark stressed, “former President Shagari contested the presidential election in 1979 and won and in 1983, he contested for the second term in office before he was ousted by the military, led by General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd).

“Also, former President Olusegun Obasanjo contested for the presidential election in 1999 and won and later contested for the second term in office in 2003 and won”, asking why the case should be different for President Jonathan.

According to him, “Jonathan is a Nigerian. Nigerians voted for him beyond religious and cultural differences. What we should be asking is that he should perform as President in office. If he performs well, the same Nigerians should vote for him as he has another term”.

No to scrapping of EFCC

The Elder statesman who criticised those calling for the scrapping of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practice and other related offences Commission (ICPC), stressed that scrapping them was not the best alternative.

Speaking on the conviction of former governor of Delta state, Chief James Ibori for corruption by a London court, Clark said that it will remain a dent on the Nigerian judiciary that had earlier given Ibori a clean bill.

On the activities of members of the Boko Haram sect, Chief Clark appealed to northern elders to help fast-tract the process of dialogue as that would bring an end to the insurgency in the northern part of the country. He stressed that what is happening at the moment is an evil wind which will blow the country no good, just as he urged them to emulate the Niger Delta elders who went to the creeks to talk to the militants to lay down their arms.

Clark who hailed the Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, and the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) for ensuring dialogue between the federal government and the Boko Haram sect, said that some politicians must be blamed as masterminds of the Boko Haram sect insurgency.

The Elder statesman who titled his statement: “My 85th Birthday Message to Boko Haram is Peace”, said, “these attacks challenge the very foundation of our unity as a nation. They strike at the root of our democracy, challenge our settled ways of life, our purpose and everything that we stand for.

Nigeria belongs to all of us

“Nigeria belongs to all of us, not to a select few and we cannot allow a few group or persons to condemn our country to the dangers of terrorism and threaten our very existence. Open and honest dialogue is the solution to any grievance whether real or imagined. There is no misunderstanding or grievance that dialogue cannot resolve”.

The press conference was attended by another 87 year-old politician, Alhaji Tanko Yakassai who noted that it was wrong to associate the Boko Haram crisis to the run off to the 2015 general election but traced the emergence of the sect to 2003 during the regime of President Obasanjo in the states controlled by the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).

Obasanjo can’t comment on corruption

Chief Edwin Clark also tongue-lashed ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo for saying that many of the lawmakers at both the states and national assemblies are rogues and thieves. According to the Ijaw leader General Obasanjo has no moral justification to describe members of the National Assembly as rogues and armed robbers.

He argued that the former Chairman of the Board of Trustees, BoT, of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP is the least person to present people as corrupt against the backdrop that he never showed good example on corruption. According to him, “he never showed good example. What was he in 1999 when he assumed office and today, he is one of the wealthiest in this country?

“Presidents build their libraries when they leave office. Look at his investment at the library, look at his investment at Transcorp. What was he in 1999?”, Chief Clark said, while castigating Obasanjo on corruption, explaining that in the United Kingdom, parliamentarians go to jail because of a mere one thousand pounds bribe.”
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Nobody: 6:05am On May 26, 2012
Nooooo!!! *feigns surprise*

He just wouldn't dare. He promise to "give it" to the SE.

LMAO!
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by PointB: 9:56am On May 26, 2012
Jonathan may contest for 2015 presidency, but the SE votes will be dependent on how far he has measured up to various expectations of the SE voting block. Taking a shot at it by ourselves is still very much on the table!
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by inspirenet: 10:19am On May 26, 2012
Ok.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Mynd44: 11:39am On May 26, 2012
His loss will be colossal

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by donpeluchi(m): 2:12pm On May 26, 2012
What a country. Power truely corrupts
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by MrGlobe(m): 2:17pm On May 26, 2012
Maybe the Ijaw nation should go into procreation craze so that by 2015, they would have given birth to over 40 million new children who will add to their present population and vote jonathan. They can do underage voting. Its allowed. Only that way will he win in 2015. Thats if Nigeria doesnt break up.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by peruso: 2:18pm On May 26, 2012
I TINK YOU WILL ALL WITNESS A SITTING PRESIDENT LOOSE ELECTION IN 2015.

EDWIN CLARK..........WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO HIS AGE, MY ESTEEM FOR HIM FAILS BY THE DAY.BY THE HOUR, BY THE SEONDS......

I SAY THIS WITH SEVERAL REASONS KNOWN TO ME ALONE.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by slimming: 2:24pm On May 26, 2012
Politic of tribalism in Nigeria will not take us anywhere.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by philips70(m): 2:24pm On May 26, 2012
I used to respect this elderly statesman. This same Jonathan disgraced him when he attempted to support another candidate against the anointed Uduaghan in the last election in delta state. Now he has been compromised by the same Uduaghan and have turned to be "His Son". He is now here blabbing about Jonathan even with all the glaring incompetencies and corruption laden system that he runs. Wither honour in all these aged men in Nigeria?
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Abimbade: 2:28pm On May 26, 2012
[quote author=Depointer1]ABUJA—Against the backdrop of the resolution of the 19 northern governors not to support any presidential candidate from the southern part of the country in 2015 election, elder statesman and Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark declared, yesterday, that President Goodluck Jonathan will contest the 2015 presidential election because former Presidents of the country contested for second term in office.

The northern governors at their forum last week, expressed their determination to sink their differences and unite towards producing the president in the next election.

Addressing newsmen in Abuja as part of activities to mark his 85th birthday today, Chief Clark, however, said section 137 of the 1999 Constitution gives President Jonathan the constitutional right to seek for a second term in office, adding, “I am not aware whether he made any commitment to contest for only one term to Nigerians which is irrelevant at the moment. Personal promises cannot override the constitution of Nigeria”.

Making reference to former President Shehu Shagari to support his point that Jonathan must run for 2015 Presidential election, Chief Clark stressed, “former President Shagari contested the presidential election in 1979 and won and in 1983, he contested for the second term in office before he was ousted by the military, led by General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd).

“Also, former President Olusegun Obasanjo contested for the presidential election in 1999 and won and later contested for the second term in office in 2003 and won”, asking why the case should be different for President Jonathan.

According to him, “Jonathan is a Nigerian. Nigerians voted for him beyond religious and cultural differences. What we should be asking is that he should perform as President in office. If he performs well, the same Nigerians should vote for him as he has another term”.
THEM NO BORN GEJ WELL EVEN IF HIM CONTEST NA HIM HOUSE HE GO ENTER NOT ASO ROCK AGAIN.... PRAY NOW
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Abimbade: 2:30pm On May 26, 2012
[quote author=Depointer1]ABUJA—Against the backdrop of the resolution of the 19 northern governors not to support any presidential candidate from the southern part of the country in 2015 election, elder statesman and Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark declared, yesterday, that President Goodluck Jonathan will contest the 2015 presidential election because former Presidents of the country contested for second term in office.

THEM NO BORN GEJ WELL EVEN IF HIM CONTEST NA HIM HOUSE HE GO ENTER NOT ASO ROCK AGAIN.... PRAY NOW
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by duality(m): 2:32pm On May 26, 2012
Mr President has the right to contest. and IF he does, HE will win. & any one who feels cheated will go to the tribunal or go to war.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by prinxard(m): 2:33pm On May 26, 2012
all of them confuse wella!
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 26, 2012
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts the shoeless man absolutely!
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Detongue: 2:38pm On May 26, 2012
Dis old man should just help me keep his mouth shut. EK Clarke is d demon troubling delta state. We know him, he is d chief of all corruption beating Obj to it. I beg everybody not to take him seriously, he is 90yrs dis yr but officially 85yrs. So wen he talks 4give him and c him as ur great great great grandfather. Thank u
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by ohlala1: 2:42pm On May 26, 2012
The Masquerade is speaking.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by GenOrumov: 2:46pm On May 26, 2012
I thought @ 85, Baba Clark would have retired from politics and quit spewing dust. We know GEJ is eligible to contest come 2015 but the greatest mistake he will ever make in his life and career is seeking to contest for a second time come 2015. Just 2 years as President and Nigeria has retrogressed badly in all aspects.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Beaf: 2:48pm On May 26, 2012
I don't see what of beating ourselves over 2015 in 2012 will bring.
I understand Clarks statement as a reactive strike against ethnic hawks that have been singing about weird alliances and cackling about dogs and baboons getting soaked in blood.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by ebamma(m): 2:52pm On May 26, 2012
if jonathan lose the election in 2015,militants will start causing violence and choas throughout the tenure of the northerner, as the used bokoharam to disrupt his tenure

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Ideasroole: 3:00pm On May 26, 2012
Beaf: I don't see what of beating ourselves over 2015 in 2012 will bring.
I understand Clarks statement as a reactive strike against ethnic hawks that have been singing about weird alliances and cackling about dogs and baboons getting soaked in blood.
Well said. Politicians and their demagogues.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by GenOrumov: 3:00pm On May 26, 2012
Beaf: I don't see what of beating ourselves over 2015 in 2012 will bring.
i understand Clark's position but we shouldn't ignore the reality on ground. What Chief. Clark should be doing now is ensuring that GEJ who the people voted for doesn't disappoint any longer. It is not Clark that will make GEJ President but the people and GEJ is fast losing these people at an alarming rate.
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Musiwa51: 3:00pm On May 26, 2012
What nonsense is that which militia will do what. the nigeria army will finish the militia that show his face.

Jonathan Goodluck can not win.. And there is no way the north will get back power. break up Nigeria. And let us end this.. for the sake of millions of 200 million nigerian .Nigeria should not make the mistake of Gowon again.

it is too big a risk to risk the life of 200 millions of Nigerian .

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by pryzlez: 3:07pm On May 26, 2012
I think old age is affecting mr clark...spewing arrant nonsense that he aint aware maybe bros J promised nigerians just a single term...I really bow ƒσя all deez our naija politicians ooo
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by AGBORMAN1(m): 3:11pm On May 26, 2012
If President GEJ PERFORMS well & if Nigerians start having electricity 12 hours
every day at Least, surely, I'll be one of the 1st to vote for him 2015.

Also, i think power should not go back to the North soon, until the Northern leaders Developed
their own states. They must stop supporting Boko haram terrorist.

Question: All the years the Norths has ruled Nigeria, what have they got to show for it? answer: Backwardness.

GEJ is developing nigeria slowly. We dont want aboki to drag the whole country backward so soon again.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Musiwa51: 3:14pm On May 26, 2012
majority of Nigerian do not want Jonathan Goodluck . If he claim he won, millions of Nigerian will end up dead. this is what they are trying to tell you, over and over. so anyone dreaming Jonathan Goodluck is going to return is wishing nigeria bad. Over 70% do not want him back. So you can see the problem.

Jonathan Goodluck return means More Igbo and Yorubas are going to get killed. So most people do not want him back. And most people from the south do not want the north too.

So you can see there will be trouble.

And with the satellite pictures.. It is only a foolish southerner that will vote for Jonathan Goodluck or northerner. If the north too get back power, the issue of the satellite pictures will not be resolve. And they will never return power back to the south. they dont give a shiit. So Nigeria have major issue to deal with
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by GenOrumov: 3:25pm On May 26, 2012
^^^Hehehe! What satellite pictures??
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by velo10: 3:42pm On May 26, 2012
We knew that since 2011
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by doctokwus: 3:52pm On May 26, 2012
For factors legion,GEJ shd not contest in 2015;morally,economically,ethnically,administratively,for corruption sake,for d good of those born& unborn,GEJ shd stick to one term& leave,he evn promised so
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 26, 2012
thats good news
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Eazeee(m): 4:10pm On May 26, 2012
atleast we kno dat contesting is diff from winning. or may b by d time we giv him d beating of his life he wil understand beta n know dat his services is no longer needed
Re: Jonathan Will Contest In 2015 – Edwin Clark by Eazeee(m): 4:13pm On May 26, 2012
even though we dont need his services coming 2015,neither do we need d services of d jihadist mohammedans.bunch of useless idiots

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Police Salary Structure / Voters Are Been Forced To Vote APC Or Go Home In Rivers State / Lieutenant General Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau- What Are You Up To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.