Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,479 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

“A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi (20841 Views)

Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 / A Nigerian Senator Earns More In Salary Than Barack Obama And David Cameron (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

“A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Nobody: 11:05am On May 27, 2012

Pat Utomi, one of Nigeria’s prominent political economists and a former presidential aspirant, offered an anecdote that unwittingly supported a widely reported statement by erstwhile President Olusegun Obasanjo that Nigeria’s National Assembly is filled with rogues.

Addressing a group of Christian youths in Lagos at an event themed “The Building Blocks of Effective Leadership,” yesterday, Mr. Utomi touched on dysfunctions he had witnessed in the Nigerian system and x-rayed the difficulties of changing the system. His topic, “Towards Creating a Network of Corruption-Intolerant Youth Leaders,” presented a comparative analyses of Nigeria, once regarded as a powerful and emerging nation, and Indonesia, a nation that was once written off in the past

Mr. Utomi, who holds a PhD, spoke about the shocking twist of fate in which Nigeria became a strategic failure whilst Indonesia became a model of success. He identified corruption as a critical factor in the fortunes of the two countries.

Speaking through anecdotes, he related several instances of corruption involving Nigerian government officials and the aftermath of underdevelopment. Mr. Utomi disclosed that he had spoken out several times about the phenomenon of “intrinsic corruption” to the faces of public officials guilty of the crime.

He said: “I told Barth Nnaji and a host of governors, in a recent Town Hall meeting, that the problem they have currently is that Nigerians do not trust them,” said Mr. Utomi. He added, “I said, you, Yuguda, I have told journalists to publish your boutique, in terms of how many women are dying in child delivery because you spend that kind of money on your boutique rather than spend it to work for the people.”

But the most startling statement by Mr. Utomi came when he disclosed that a man who once duped him was now a senator. “A man who had 419’ed [duped] me in the past is now in the Senate. And I called the attention of a senior senator who is from the same state with the dupe, and who also knew about my dupe story with the man before, that this man is a thief and he was aware. The senior senator wanted me to keep quiet, and he said that is the problem with me, and that after all, seventy percent of government people are 419’s.”

Utomi, who quit the presidential race during last year’s election cycle, expressed the extreme difficulty of establishing a new order in Nigeria. He emphasized that those benefitting from the old system would do everything to resist any change. Even so, he stated that the youths were the only ones who have the ability to make the change.

“Youths can make these desired changes because you are not hostages of the errors of yesterday,” he said, adding that the challenge would be daunting because those benefiting from the current system “will do everything to resist the change.” He reminded the youths, “These old people are powerful and have the resources to influence anything.”

Mr. Utomi related the anecdote of a non-governmental organization located on Victoria Island in Lagos. Faced with absence of electric power to do their work, the NGO complained, said Mr. Utomi. “One of the bankers around then revealed to them that the banks are responsible for the outright lack of power supply because they are buying diesels for some companies and so they bribe the electricity workers not to provide power in order to continue to maintain their arrangement of buying more tons of diesels for their business to continue.”
[url=http://saharareporters.com/news-page/%E2%80%9C-nigerian-senator-duped-me%E2%80%9D%E2%80%94pat-utomi/]Source[/url]
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Nobody: 11:21am On May 27, 2012
"But the most startling statement by Mr. Utomi came when he disclosed that a man who once duped him was now a senator. “A man who had 419’ed [duped] me in the past is now in the Senate. And I called the attention of a senior senator who is from the same state with the dupe, and who also knew about my dupe story with the man before, that this man is a thief and he was aware. The senior senator wanted me to keep quiet, and he said that is the problem with me, and that after all, seventy percent of government people are 419’s.”

A confirmation of OBJs assertion?
Shebi NASS want names abi. ok let's go there gradually....................

2 Likes

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by emisun(m): 1:30pm On May 27, 2012
this man knows how to sit on the fence on national issues.he has never been specifically outspoken against any current administration.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by OneNaira6: 1:38pm On May 27, 2012
That says a lot about the backwardness of this nation.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by doctokwus: 1:41pm On May 27, 2012
He hasn't helped anybody in any way;y does he still kp d name of d so called senator dupe to himself,he shd come out wt d name or else kp quiet,afterall majority of nigerians av also fallen victim,d only way to bring anybody to book is u name d person& provide proof
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by redsun(m): 1:55pm On May 27, 2012
The only time nigeria can be called a country is when peole like Utomi are in full control.People with common sense,people that reasons,people that are resourceful,people that creates and people with soul.

Nigerian government is more detrimental and more ruthless than the italian mobs.It has always been.

Gangsters Paradice aka nigeria
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 27, 2012
doctokwus: He hasn't helped anybody in any way;y does he still d name of d so called senator dupe to himself,he shd come out wt d name or else kp quiet,afterall majority of nigerians av also fallen victim,d only way to bring anybody to book is u name d person& provide proof

Utomi has done himself no favours here, and this saddens me in no small measure.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by maclatunji: 2:23pm On May 27, 2012
Give us the name! Give us the name!! Give us the name!!!

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 27, 2012
d man sef na one kind man..
tryin to b a middle man.
he wont say d truth even in obvious times.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by ebamma(m): 2:31pm On May 27, 2012
what makes me more afraid is that we the youths who are to be the future leaders are no different from the current crop of leaders,if some of us get chance we fit thief pass abacha sef

2 Likes

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by edicolove: 2:35pm On May 27, 2012
doctokwus: He hasn't helped anybody in any way;y does he still d name of d so called senator dupe to himself,he shd come out wt d name or else kp quiet,afterall majority of nigerians av also fallen victim,d only way to bring anybody to book is u name d person& provide proof

So if he names someone and his proof is not enough to nail him and he gets sued for libel, you will feel ok, abi?

Some of you lot are sooooooo stup1d, it is alarming! How does just naming people aid in the fight against corruption? Anyone can name anyone. And by the way, if he names someone you support, the same you will come here and call it witch hunt or fighting perceived enemies!

The biggest problem with fighting corruption in Nigeria is that most of those shouting about corruption are as corrupt as those they accuse. The only reason they are shouting is that its not their person that's in power. He that must come to equity must come with clean hands!

15 Likes

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Dondbuzor: 2:37pm On May 27, 2012
U could ve done a great deal of favor to us and yourself by naming d said 419er senator

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by kaiter: 2:38pm On May 27, 2012
Nigerian government is more detrimental and more ruthless than the italian mobs.It has always been.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by neksummi(m): 2:44pm On May 27, 2012
We need names!
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by DLegacy1(m): 2:45pm On May 27, 2012
Every1 knows that d problem of Nigeria is corruption...I thought identifying a problem is halfway d solution? D obvious challenge now is: How do we remove d breath of a system and expect it not to collapse? Corruption is obviously d breath of dis nation...even OBj bears testimony to this
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by aljharem(m): 2:48pm On May 27, 2012
edicolove:

So if he names someone and his proof is not enough to nail him and he gets sued for libel, you will feel ok, abi?

Some of you lot are sooooooo stup1d, it is alarming! How does just naming people aid in the fight against corruption? Anyone can name anyone. And by the way, if he names someone you support, the same you will come here and call it witch hunt or fighting perceived enemies!

The biggest problem with fighting corruption in Nigeria is that most of those shouting about corruption are as corrupt as those they accuse. The only reason they are shouting is that its not their person that's in power. He that must come to equity must come with clean hands!

Sir you talk like someone that lack sense. No form of brain at all

So him not mentioning his name, how has it helped the matter ?

Everything is not politics, this is purely a criminal case not ACN, PDP rubbish you and your fellow goons do here on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by velo10: 2:49pm On May 27, 2012
This is a man I wish we'll put off all ethnic and religious bigotry off for and elect him as president. I see in him intellect, experience and most of all PASSION
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by redsun(m): 2:49pm On May 27, 2012
[quote author=kaiter]Nigerian government is more detrimental and more ruthless than the italian mobs.It has always been.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img] [/quote

Have you heard of Lucky Luciano,the top italian mafia dog in the 20th century america?If you have heard,was he as ruthlessly stupid as any nigerian leader you can think of in the 21st century?

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Obinoscopy(m): 2:51pm On May 27, 2012
maclatunji: Give us the name! Give us the name!! Give us the name!!!

neksummi: We need names!

You wan make dem kpai d guy?
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by edicolove: 2:54pm On May 27, 2012
alj harem:

Sir you talk like someone that lack sense. No form of brain at all

So him not mentioning his name, how has it helped the matter ?

Everything is not politics, this is purely a criminal case not ACN, PDP rubbish you and your fellow goons do here on Nairaland.

I can see how much brain and sense you have yet you don't know the implication of calling someone a thief in public without enough evidence to nail them in court. You have a stupi1d and delusional appraisal of your self worth. Low IQ!

2 Likes

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 27, 2012
If Utomi is not greedy too,how come he ended up being duped by the senator ? There is no difference between maga and mugu,both are greedy to me.

2 Likes

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by redsun(m): 3:00pm On May 27, 2012
Sometimes i find it difficult put together what makes up intelligence in nigeria,especially when suppose learned people tend to turn a blind eye to the atrocities of nigerian politicians and even most times see them as achivers.

We all know these guys are criminals,including obj.The salaries they award themselves alone is treasonable,talkless of the unofficial corruption that goes on in the system.I.e,bankole mago mago.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by fm7070: 3:01pm On May 27, 2012
As much as I agree that there is high rate of corruption in the system, I will not take Prof. Pat Itomi seriously.
Was the dupe case ever reported and taken to court before now?

There is something about 419 that people don't know. They will make you do something 'illegal' along the line. Such that, you will not be able to complain at the end of the day.

Prof should let us know the senator and let's hear from both sides before we allow the blameless person to cast stones

2 Likes

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by blayz0923: 3:09pm On May 27, 2012
Unfortunately regretable it is, that we have ppl with great intellect and sound mind, morally up to date with the zeal and will to serve this our great nation, but painful to note that they may( call it will) never see the seat of power in this country.

yet let us all pray for for the nation to prosper.

happy sunday.

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 27, 2012
fm7070: As much as I agree that there is high rate of corruption in the system, I will not take Prof. Pat Itomi seriously.
Was the dupe case ever reported and taken to court before now?

There is something about 419 that people don't know. They will make you do something 'illegal' along the line. Such that, you will not be able to complain at the end of the day.

Prof should let us know the senator and let's hear from both sides before we allow the blameless person to cast stones

Exactly. . . . .He duped him but wouldnt let the whole world know what went wrong instead chose to cry to the public to gain sympathy.In fraudology,the smarter person wins ! Was pat soliciting for help that he had to part with cash to the senator ?

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On May 27, 2012
But the most startling statement by Mr. Utomi came when he disclosed that a man who once duped him was now a senator. “A man who had 419’ed [duped] me in the past is now in the Senate. And I called the attention of a senior senator who is from the same state with the dupe, and who also knew about my dupe story with the man before, that this man is a thief and he was aware. The senior senator wanted me to keep quiet, and he said that is the problem with me, and that after all, seventy percent of government people are 419’s.”

This is why I have a hard time with people. If someone duped you, the law is there for you to not only use to your advantage but to use in helping make sure these corrupt individuals ever make it into positions of power.

Mr Pat Utomi disappoints yet again. Why did he not go as far as to name the culprit? If this story is real, did he make sure to go to the courts with the story? if yes, tell us the person's name so we get him/her kicked out of senate with immediate effect. We have criminals in high places because people, like him, choose to PROTECT the culprits by doing nothing/not naming them. All this talk of some senator low-balling him is just fluff to us if he Pat Utomi did nothing at the end of the day.

Nigerians need to understand that the law is not there for decoration. It is there as our mini-revenge tool, and is there to help us in cleaning up the country. However, the law needs our help. If we do not take advantage of it, the law, as we all know, can do little or nothing to help us.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by slimming: 3:18pm On May 27, 2012
House of assembly does not care about your last reputation before joining the senators, all that matter is money to give to electorate to win.
Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On May 27, 2012
slimming: House of assembly does not care about your last reputation before joining the senators, all that matter is money to give to electorate to win.

That is a lie. These people were elected by Nigerians, people like you. So if you elect the criminals, it is on your head, and not some phantom you choose to call "House of Assembly".

1 Like

Re: “A Nigerian Senator Duped Me”— Pat Utomi by redsun(m): 3:23pm On May 27, 2012
Duping is not always advance fee fraud.Just mere betrayal of trust with finacial or material consequecies is duping.

And if he is not ready to go all the way when compelled to,i dont think he would have mentioned it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GEJ Opens The 600meter Bridge At Ibeno (PICTURE) / Why Buhari Has No Certificate - Col Ben Gbulie (rtd) / APC Governors Assemble To Ask Buhari For Bailouts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.