Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,706 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Convert Existing Website To Phone App? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Convert Existing Website To Phone App? (5852 Views)

18 Yr-Old Nigerian Launches Website To Disrupt Africa's Job Recruitment Industry / Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira / How To Convert Folder/file To Jpeg Format (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by ekubear1: 2:14am On May 30, 2012
Suppose that you have an existing website/web app.

What is the easiest way to make it suitable for mobile phones? Let's say Android, to be concrete.

I'm contemplating the following two options:

1) Just make a new style sheet for mobile phones.
2) Actually write an Android application that communicates with my web app.

In both cases I'd be hiring out the labor.

Any comments/suggestions from those who have some experience with this type of stuff?
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by delomos(m): 4:22am On May 30, 2012
If you're app has a solid seperation of front & back-end, you can (which is what most folks do):

1. Write a JS/CSS (HTML5) version using one of the many frameworks (JQ Mobile, Sancha Touch 2, etc) and, well, that might do it. If you want to go the extra mile, you can PhoneGap it and make it native.
OR
2. If all you care about is having your app accessible in mobile, add media queries to your stylesheet (look at SASS/Compass, or, if you're using a CSS frameworks like 960.gs, you can try the Impact.js) that adapts your site to any screen, PC or Mobile.

1 Like

Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by ektbear: 4:26am On May 30, 2012
delomos: If you're app has a solid seperation of front & back-end, you can (which is what most folks do):

1. Write a JS/CSS (HTML5) version using one of the many frameworks (JQ Mobile, Sancha Touch 2, etc) and, well, that might do it. If you want to go the extra mile, you can PhoneGap it and make it native.
OR
2. If all you care about is having your app accessible in mobile, add media queries to your stylesheet (look at SASS/Compass, or, if you're using a CSS frameworks like 960.gs, you can try the Impact.js) that adapts your site to any screen, PC or Mobile.

Which typically looks better?

I suspect #2 will be easier for me. I use Sass/Compass and 960.gs. I'll take a look at this Impact.js as well.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by delomos(m): 5:11am On May 30, 2012
#2 is easier, #1 feels more native and much more flexible

Both might require some JS-fu skills, but I think the investment in #1 is worth the learning (at least browse through their respective docs).
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by ektbear: 5:17am On May 30, 2012
I don't have the time (or interest, really) to learn it...I'll hire it out.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:49am On May 30, 2012
you can use nokia web tools.. It's an sdk that lets you modify web apps for nokia mobiles using html5, javascript and CSS. Am sure if done well or with a little tweaking any stuff you design there can be used across multiple mobile platforms
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by c0274309: 12:36pm On May 30, 2012
Nice one you all. Great to see some educative pointers on this medium.......not the usual everyday no value add nonsense!!!

Please keep it up!! cheesy
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by kensandrea: 1:14pm On May 30, 2012
u can use dudamobile.com its a web converter to mobile applicable 4 all phones its a css and html applicable application
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by AFOLS: 2:42pm On May 30, 2012
Selectin "all media" on ur css is d easiest way, but not optimised for some mobile devices wit smaller screen.
Seun shld tell us how he did his own NL. I enjoy NL on my nokia mobile device. My site is ok on mobile device but still seekin beta options.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by Mcleo007(m): 2:49pm On May 30, 2012
Nice thread!
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by 27naira(m): 2:58pm On May 30, 2012

i bet i stumbled into the wrong place

These guys don't speak english, they speak.... i dont know. undecided
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by moderattor: 3:19pm On May 30, 2012
I wrote a completely seperate stylesheet for my website.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by delomos(m): 3:21pm On May 30, 2012
ekt_bear:
I don't have the time (or interest, really) to learn it...I'll hire it out.
Yes, you can, but just to let you know, JS is a must-have toolkit in any modern dev'er box -- so even if not now, you might be forced to later. And quite frankly, dev'ing for mobile is getting more exciting by the day.

So while you can source it out, it might be nice to understand your deliverable expectations.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by davechika(m): 3:49pm On May 30, 2012
27naira:

but its not late at all for you to learn the language,cos am getting started to learn this funky language and i think i'd love it.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by kanywoods: 5:52pm On May 30, 2012
JUST USE JQUERY MOBILE [ITS DEAD SIMPLE] OR IF YOU ARE VERY LAZY LIKE ME THE BLACKBERRY WEBWORKS SDK WUD BE YOUR BEST BET NO CODING REQUIRED...LOL grin
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by spikesC(m): 10:14pm On May 30, 2012
media queries is easier and faster and you can even test with your desktop browser. Just minimize the browser to the viewport you specified in the media query
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by spikesC(m): 10:50pm On May 30, 2012
kanywoods: JUST USE JQUERY MOBILE [ITS DEAD SIMPLE] OR IF YOU ARE VERY LAZY LIKE ME THE BLACKBERRY WEBWORKS SDK WUD BE YOUR BEST BET NO CODING REQUIRED...LOL grin

but jquery mobile requires a seperate domain/sub domain or if i just insert the header scripts and css, would it just convert the website to mobile optimised

Blackberry webworks, haven't really understood it. In my case, i have an already developed website, how do i use these to optimise them for mobile
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by delomos(m): 11:12pm On May 30, 2012
spikes C:

but jquery mobile requires a seperate domain/sub domain or if i just insert the header scripts and css, would it just convert the website to mobile optimised

Not necessarily, read the docs: http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.1.0/#/demos/1.1.0/docs/about/intro.html
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by spikesC(m): 12:11am On May 31, 2012
delomos:
Not necessarily, read the docs: http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.1.0/#/demos/1.1.0/docs/about/intro.html

quite understood but just to be sure, i still must add those there data role and markups for the changes to be made?

if so, this still means i'll have to touch the semantics
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by spikesC(m): 12:19am On May 31, 2012
ok, kind of found this too...am gonna test this on ma web development website.

Conventions, not requirements
Although the page structure outlined above is a recommended approach for a standard web app built with jQuery Mobile, the framework is very flexible with document structure. The page, header, content, and footer data-role elements are optional and are mostly helpful for providing some basic formatting and structure. The page wrapper that used to be required for auto-initialization to work is now optional for single page documents, so there isn't any required markup at all. For a web page with a custom layout, all of these structural elements can be omitted and the Ajax navigation and all widgets will work just like they do in the boilerplate structure. Behind the scenes, the framework will inject the page wrapper if it's not included in the markup because it’s needed for managing pages, but the starting markup can now be extremely simple.

Note that in a multi-page setup, you are required to have page wrappers in your markup in order to group the content into multiple pages.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by ektbear: 12:55am On May 31, 2012
jQuery mobile might be an option.

I have no problems setting up a separate m.whatever.com subdomain.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by netesy(m): 9:37am On May 31, 2012
Hmm jquery seems the option for me.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by spikesC(m): 8:21pm On May 31, 2012
Yeah, but you need to rewrite all your codes(output) and setup a redirect script(it fly's around the internet)
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by giggle(m): 1:47pm On Jun 01, 2012
can u send me d way i can hack my E71.send it to my mail-charlesnosy@yahoo.com.i wan to install ttpod on my phone ,but it did not work.
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by Ema4rl: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2012
27naira:

Hahahahahaha!!! Sorry, Its not English Language, Its Programming Language.
I'm I right?
Re: Convert Existing Website To Phone App? by alexiump: 1:24pm On Jun 04, 2012
get ur ebooks and multimedia tutorial on programming at an affordable price. Cal alex 08176468385

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Building An App With More Features Than Uber / Online Banking Source Code In PHP, MSQL / Video Maker Fx Password And Username

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.