Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,970 members, 7,817,848 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? (44674 Views)

Who Killed Funmilayo Ransome-kuti (Fela's Mother)? / Picture Of Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti & Beko Ransome-Kuti / Funmilayo Ransome Kuti - Nigeria's Wonder Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 2:57pm On May 31, 2012
Whoever gave this woman that title couldn't have been right you know. How did they know that someone did not drive a car before her and was not captured. I can understand that of the first woman to fly a plane because planes were very few in the country at that time and people would definitely notice if one flew a plane. Especially if it's a woman.

On the 20th of January, 1925, she married the Reverend Israel Oludotun Ransome Kuti. The marriage produced the activists Fela Anikulapo Kuti, a musician, Beko Ransome-Kuti, a doctor, and Professor Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, a doctor and health minister of Nigeria. She was the first woman in Nigeria to drive a car and to ride a bike He also defended the commoners of his country, and was one of the founders of both the Nigerian Union of Teachers and of the Nigerian Union of Students. Ransome-Kuti received the national honor of membership in the Order of Nigeria in 1965. The University of Ibadan bestowed upon her the honorary doctorate of laws in 1968. She also held a seat in the Western House of Chiefs of Nigeria as an oloye of the Yoruba people.
http://nnn.com.ng/?page_id=315

[img]http://3.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/S4KoJutYtaI/AAAAAAAADJA/a5bZAoF8IjE/s400/funmilayo+kuti2.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Skywalker5(m): 2:59pm On May 31, 2012
were cars not very few back then?

3 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 3:01pm On May 31, 2012
Sky-walker:
were cars not very few back then?
There were few cars then but don't you think that in one remote village or town, a woman could have driven a car even if she was been thought how to drive.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Onlytruth(m): 3:02pm On May 31, 2012
It cannot possibly be right.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Skywalker5(m): 3:04pm On May 31, 2012
Maybe u right but i have always though only the rich could buy a car then and were they good roads that could go to the village back then? i think for you to drive a car back then, you must be kind off educated in a way because cars back then will be like magic to people

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 3:06pm On May 31, 2012
Sky-walker:
Maybe u right but i have always though only the rich could buy a car then and were they good roads that could go to the village back then? i think for you to drive a car back then, you must be kind off educated in a way because cars back then will be like magic to people
I think one of the reasons why Fumilayo Kuti is credited with this title is because she was in the public eye at that time. I'm not sure though.

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Skywalker5(m): 3:09pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva:
I think one of the reasons why Fumilayo Kuti is credited with this title is because she was in the public eye at that time. I'm not sure though.
or mayb she went for a driving school course or something which made her more credible.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by nduchucks: 3:10pm On May 31, 2012
This woman was known as the First Nigerian woman to drive a car and also the First Nigerian woman to ride a motorcycle. The number of cars and motorcycles present in Nigeria and their locations were known to the authorities, hence no one has been able to dispute the claim.

People will soon turn this into another tribal war. SMH

11 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 3:13pm On May 31, 2012
Sky-walker:

or mayb she went for a driving school course or something which made her more credible.
Probably.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by aljharem(m): 3:13pm On May 31, 2012
Yawns grin grin grin grin grin Ayam grin grin grin

@ OP

Yes she was because we only had few cars back then in Nigeria and we could even count it, it was that bad

Thus those that said so could not have been wrong. wink
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by aljharem(m): 3:14pm On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks: This woman was known as the First Nigerian woman to drive a car and also the First Nigerian woman to ride a motorcycle. The number of cars and motorcycles present in Nigeria and their locations were known to the authorities, hence no one has been able to dispute the claim.

You have said it all !!!

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 3:14pm On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks:
At least it will be on record that you started it.

3 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 3:15pm On May 31, 2012
alj harem: Yawns grin grin grin grin grin Ayam grin grin grin

@ OP

Yes she was because we only had few cars back then in Nigeria and we could even count it, it was that bad

Thus those that said so could not have been wrong. wink
Isn't it possible that one of the few people that had cars then allowed their wives to drive a car inside their compound without seeing it as an acheivement.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by aljharem(m): 3:19pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva:
Isn't it possible that one of the few people that had cars then allowed their wives to drive a car inside their compound without seeing it as an acheivement.

quite possible not to be biased I can not rule out that,,but in reality how many men had cars back then ? in 1982 ?
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by aljharem(m): 3:20pm On May 31, 2012
1898 The name Nigeria was given by Mrs. Flora Shaw (Lady Lordlugard)
Nigeria is the populated country in African continent
Nigeria’s population is a mix of over two hundred fifty (250) tribes and former three (3) regions of the East, West and North. The three regions has total of 923, 768,000 square kilometers.
Nigeria borders are: Atlantic Ocean on the South, Cameroon on the East, Niger Republic on the North, and Benin republic of West.
First Islamic School Started in Borno State

1859 First Secondary school in Nigeria CMS (Grammar School Lagos)

1860 First Newspaper Published ( Iwe Iroyin)

1859 First Nigeria Hospital was built at Abeokuta (Sacred Heard Hospital)

1922 First Political party establish (NNPP) by Herbert Macaulay

1925 First Aeroplane landed at Kano

1959 First Television station WMTV in Ibadan and now known as NTA

1982 First Nigerian Woman Pilot: Mrs. Chinyere Onyemaucheya
First Nigerian Woman to drive car: Mrs. Funmilayo Kuti
First Nigerian Woman to buy a car: Efuroye Tinubu
First Nigerian Woman Major: Ronke kale
First Nigerian Female Vice Chancellor: Professor Grace Alele Williams
First Nigerian to speak foreign language: Oba Esigie of Benin
First Nigerian chief judged: Ademola Adetokubo

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva:

Internet revisionists at work again! How many cars were there in Nigeria at that time?

Small time now we go hear say one woman dey drive corvette at that time for Onitsha.

11 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by miteolu(m): 3:43pm On May 31, 2012
She was famous
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by PeterKbaba: 3:45pm On May 31, 2012
Onlytruth: It cannot possibly be right.

SHE WAS, REMEMBER LAGOS WAS THE CAPITAL THEN AND THE FEW CARS BROUGHT IN BY THE COLONIALS WERE MOSTLY OPERATED AND BEEN DRIVEN FIRST IN LAGOS... IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A MAN, ITS A DIFFERENT CASE... DO YOU KNOW THAT FELA'S FAMILY WERE PRETTY RICH THEN... FELA WAS SENT TO LONDON TO STUDY AND BECOME A DOCTOR WITH HIS BROTHERS. WHEN HE GOT THERE, HE STARTED STUDYING MUSIC AND LYING TO HIS PARENT ABOUT HIS STUDIES

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Soskid(m): 3:50pm On May 31, 2012
just one person is regarded as the oldest in the world. another question we have to ask ourselves is can't there be someone in a remote village who is older than the person who is regarded as the oldest? i think that answers your question.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva:
There were few cars then but don't you think that in one remote village or town, a woman could have driven a car even if she was been thought how to drive.

I think she was and how will a poor woman in a remote village get access to car let alone driving it

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Flodel(f): 3:51pm On May 31, 2012
@ poster, why on earth will even bring dis up, guess u don't sumtin to do with ur tym. Pple just creat threads unnecessarily.

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by poweredcom(m): 3:58pm On May 31, 2012
coolNa my grandmama first drive car

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dave9103: 4:03pm On May 31, 2012
Sky walker I dnt tink u av wrk, anyway shud u cum accros d question anywhere u cn simply said ur mother.
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks: This woman was known as the First Nigerian woman to drive a car and also the First Nigerian woman to ride a motorcycle. The number of cars and motorcycles present in Nigeria and their locations were known to the authorities, hence no one has been able to dispute the claim.

I was surprise when I watched her as the only woman on the NIGERIAN Independent fronters to present the Nigeria case to the queen of England with Jaja Nwachukwu, Awo, and Zik , and it is disheartening that it was her fellow yoruba man that killed her and he is still alive enjoying their sweat. SMH

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 31, 2012
The height of joblessness! What a meaningless thread by an empty vessel. I feel even ashamed i clicked to make a comment! LOAD OF CRAP!
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by T9ksy(m): 4:06pm On May 31, 2012
Onlytruth: It cannot possibly be right.

Of course, it cannot be right!!!

Had the name been one of Ojukwu snr's wife/concubine then, it is an absolute truth!

Ibos and their bad belle, sef! I tire 4 una!!

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Goldenheart(m): 4:07pm On May 31, 2012
she cud be d first RECORDED lady naaa....
Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Afam4eva(m): 4:08pm On May 31, 2012
engineerd: The height of joblessness! What a meaningless thread by an empty vessel. I feel even ashamed i clicked to make a comment! LOAD OF CRAP!
Your Joblessness must be at it's peak since you poured all these on a thread created by a jobless person. Go and bury your d1ck in a sand. Fvcktard.

2 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Dave9103: 4:09pm On May 31, 2012
I cn nw c d manifestation of d sayin dat 'EDUCATION IS NOT THE SOURCE OF WISDOM'. Wht a useless thread. U fit say na ur mama if den ask u 4 exam or interview.

5 Likes

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by brabus(m): 4:10pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva: Whoever gave this woman that title couldn't have been right you know. How did they know that someone did not drive a car before her and was not captured. I can understand that of the first woman to fly a plane because planes were very few in the country at that time and people would definitely notice if one flew a plane. Especially if it's a woman.

Eventually, you made frontpage with this thrash. Well done!

But if I may ask, "who is the first man to drive bicycle in your village?"

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by timmy1999(m): 4:11pm On May 31, 2012
afam4eva: Whoever gave this woman that title couldn't have been right you know. How did they know that someone did not drive a car before her and was not captured. I can understand that of the first woman to fly a plane because planes were very few in the country at that time and people would definitely notice if one flew a plane. Especially if it's a woman.

Go ask mama fela for grave..she go answer u

1 Like

Re: Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? by Sagamite(m): 4:12pm On May 31, 2012
Who gives a shyt!

What is so special about being the first to drive a car.

All these useless, moronic "records" we Africans, especially Nigerians, like to brandish about.

Yeah, I was the first from Sagamu to drink McDonald milkshake. WOOHOO!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Ganduje Visit Dangote Tomato Farm In Kano (Photo) / Ekiti APC Slams Pastor Adeboye Over Support For Fayose, Alleges Bribery! / Photos; Bomb Scare At American Consulate In Lagos. See What Was Discovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.