Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,740 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

How Is Your Landlord Treating You - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Is Your Landlord Treating You (8203 Views)

These 7 Tips Will Easily Make Your LandLord Lower Your House Rent. / Fire Your Landlord Now!!!2bedroom Flat For Sale For Just N1.5million / Sack Your Landlord With N997250 At Ogijo, Ikorodu, in Lagos State with Less Than 1m. Details Below. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Your Landlord Treating You by beeter(m): 8:45am On Jun 01, 2012
i got a house at Egbeda, the Landlord and his wife stays with us in the compound, staying with them has not been so easy. it is always problem everyday. i stay in a flat where i have to come back from work and get water oustide while my landlord and his wife are enjoying water. he can only give you water once in a week to store. He imposes unecessary payment on us. i reported the case to a lawyer and he suggested we sue him.what do you think ?
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Odunnu: 8:54am On Jun 01, 2012
I have a very cordial relationship with my landlady. She doesnt give me trouble and I am not nosey. I dont seek her attention or opinion. So, i'm like a little wonder to her.

4 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by stepo707: 9:30am On Jun 01, 2012
Great landlord i got.Guess am lucky.

2 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:31am On Jun 01, 2012
I am a Landlord!!
I will torture these mofos

3 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by kiviglomi: 9:32am On Jun 01, 2012
I stay in the same compound with my landlord but we hardly see each other, he is busy as well as the wife so nobody has that time for conversation, we return from work and walk into our apartments quietly, despite having his kids around, the compount is very quiet and at peace, we only stop ones in a while to ask ourselves how work is coming and get to talk about the stupid thing happening in nija.

2 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by BBDelta(m): 9:35am On Jun 01, 2012
Invite your Landlord to a meeting, Tell him everything you don't like that is happening in the compound, Make Him understand very politely that you deserve water and every other things depriving your from. If he disagree don't argue with Him, make him know that you actually and honestly deserve these things and that you would do everything within your power to get them even if it means terminating your tenanacy agreement if there is any. If He is not willing to refund what is left then you can sue Him, If you sue for not providing water and that's not part of the agreement you are wasting your time, but if you sue Him because He refuses to give you your balance for poor service then you have a case.

4 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Murphy7h4: 9:37am On Jun 01, 2012
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by SpaceAngel: 9:40am On Jun 01, 2012
I guess i have one of the best landlords. He does not bother me at all. The only time he calls is to ask me if something is wrong with the structure and whether i like the house or if i need him to change anything grin !!!! The strange one is that he comes from a tribe that hates mine with passion. Abeg follow me thank God.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by djeezy(m): 9:41am On Jun 01, 2012
My Landlord in school is an understanding man. I don't really talk to him that much save for greetings. He lives upstairs, while i live down stairs. The most annoying facet is that he doesn't want to buy a big generator for pumping of water and whenever Nepa takes light, he will block the tenant's flow of water forthwith...Then when the hoarded one is gone, he will send his wife outside to fetch water. Sometimes i'll have to go outside to get water for myself. He's a good man anyway.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Esiere: 9:46am On Jun 01, 2012
I am an existing tenant. I stayed in Ajah Lagos .My rent has expired and I told my landlord to allow me pay 70 percent of my new rent (1 year) n I will pay the remaining 30percent in 4 months time. He started raking oo. Please advise me. Shld I also go mad with him n call his bluff? Wat are my chances?
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by ZUBY77(m): 9:48am On Jun 01, 2012
My landlord is the best. He makes sure i eat whenever i am hungry. My wife said he comes to our apartment whenever he likes. My mother is fond of him. He is a big comic relief. He dont ask me for rent money. He makes sure there is water in the house always. The reason why he does all this things for me is because my landlord is ME.

17 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Paentera(m): 9:49am On Jun 01, 2012
A lot of times we can only infer what is going on in your compound going by the gist you have given us thus I can hardly advise you. You did not tell of previous disputes that might have brought about the actions perpetuated by the Landlord either have you told us if you're a bellicose tenant yourself! Now, water can be contentious as there is a cost to it and most times Nigerians hardly like to pay for it. If the water in your compound is pumped privately, do you pay the Landlord for this? If no, it means the Landlord is subsidising your water costs and you probably have a problem seeing it this way. I might be incorrect but hey, the information you provided is limited, hence my assumption. My advice to you is this - approach your landlord and ask how you can enjoy water conveniently especially if you can pay extra to do this. If this does not work, you can ask if you can purchase a small tank to store water and then you stop using the one provided by him. I believe this should ease of the tension.

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Afam4eva(m): 9:53am On Jun 01, 2012
Spirit of Okija: I am a Landlord!!
I will torture these mofos

Are you an Ikwerre landlord?

@OP
The worst thing that can happen to anyone is leaving in the same compound with their landlord.

3 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Afam4eva(m): 9:55am On Jun 01, 2012
Paentera: A lot of times we can only infer what is going on in your compound going by the gist you have given us thus I can hardly advise you. You did not tell of previous disputes that might have brought about the actions perpetuated by the Landlord either have you told us if you're a bellicose tenant yourself! Now, water can be contentious as there is a cost to it and most times Nigerians hardly like to pay for it. If the water in your compound is pumped privately, do you pay the Landlord for this? If no, it means the Landlord is subsidising your water costs and you probably have a problem seeing it this way. I might be incorrect but hey, the information you provided is limited, hence my assumption. My advice to you is this - approach your landlord and ask how you can enjoy water conveniently especially if you can pay extra to do this. If this does not work, you can ask if you can purchase a small tank to store water and then you stop using the one provided by him. I believe this should ease of the tension.
Absolue bunkum. It's only in Nigeria that people don't have the full benefits of what the paid for.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Afam4eva(m): 9:57am On Jun 01, 2012
Esiere: I am an existing tenant. I stayed in Ajah Lagos .My rent has expired and I told my landlord to allow me pay 70 percent of my new rent (1 year) n I will pay the remaining 30percent in 4 months time. He started raking oo. Please advise me. Shld I also go mad with him n call his bluff? Wat are my chances?
You will be a fool to call your landlord's bluff for requesting for what belongs to him. How will you feel if you were in your landlord's shoes.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by TawaTemi1(f): 10:00am On Jun 01, 2012
Like someone suggested,talk to him. If he didn't change,have it at the back of your mind that you will eventually pack out once your money is due. My dear it is not easy 2 sue your Landlord over water and some other stuffs and live with d landlord happily ever after without crisis which may be harmful to both. Get a better apartment,ask questions that will be favourable 2 you,if you are satisfied,pack in.

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by akinwaleok: 10:01am On Jun 01, 2012
i stay in 2bedroom apartment but not in lagos. I packed in september'11 and paid 25percent of d house rent as tenancy agreement, after spending 6months my landlord is asking of damages fee of 40percent of house rent inwhich we havent damage anything and now ask us to pack out if we cant pay it.
What do we do because we are not ready to pay it?
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by ebamma(m): 10:03am On Jun 01, 2012
na because of the chicken change u spend to buy water make u want to sue your landlord?,

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 01, 2012
I HAVE THE BEST LANDLORD, HE IS VERY SINPLE, GENTLE AND UNDERSTANDING TYPE (THOUGH HE'S A YOUNG GUY).
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by johnstar(m): 10:11am On Jun 01, 2012
U have 2 pay d damages grin grin, i my self am a landlord
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Bright2(m): 10:13am On Jun 01, 2012
My dear, please endure once your rent expire get your self a better place and plan your life.Some people naturally posses bad attitude in this case there is nothing the law can make out of him other than inflicting more expenses upon your living. Beside during the trial in the court you will still live in that house under that same condition while giving your lawyer N5000 every court sitting for transport,my dear be wise! Thank God you didn't buy the house rather you rented it. To caption it all,endure when your rent expire,carry your load to the promise land.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by harakiri(m): 10:14am On Jun 01, 2012
Funny thing is people who complain about Landlords do worse when they finally have their own houses. They forget that these landlords didn't fall from Mars and where tenants too themselves at some point. Nobody wants to pay rent. The landlord becomes an "evil man" when he asks for his rent money 6months after it has expired.

Human beings can be so funny and predictable!

3 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 01, 2012
afam4eva:

@OP
The worst thing that can h
afam4eva:

@OP
The worst thing that can happen to anyone is leaving in the same compound with their landlord.
appen to anyone is leaving in the same compound with their landlord.

u re very right...
my ikwerre caretaker is worse... i always dodge him, there is always something to pay for whenever he comes around.

2 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by TawaTemi1(f): 10:17am On Jun 01, 2012
Esiere: I am an existing tenant. I stayed in Ajah Lagos .My rent has expired and I told my landlord to allow me pay 70 percent of my new rent (1 year) n I will pay the remaining 30percent in 4 months time. He started raking oo. Please advise me. Shld I also go mad with him n call his bluff? Wat are my chances?
My dear dont do that,let him see reasons with you. We all know it's hard 2 get money in this country but to go contrary to a laid down agreement btw u and ur landlord with rudeness? I pray u wont be sorry later. Plead with him,let him know you are broke now afterall,he is a human being.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by bknight: 10:21am On Jun 01, 2012
How are you treating ur landlord?

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by honeric01(m): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2012
My landlord? well just 2 months old in the building for now and there's not an issue. we hardly see because the man hardly stays outdoor, we are both living together (my apartment is deep inside the building (upstairs), yet we haven't clashed, just that 2k for power bill sounds "huge" to me.

Water is free and i have my own private line i spread my washed clothes, water is everywhere (about 4 tanks), also very quiet and his kids (at least 2) are my pals, one often come around to play videogames with me when i am around.

All in all, i have no issues, he powers the whole building with his generators and i enjoy from the light, though i buy fuel too (once in a while).

The only problem i have now is the key to the main gate, i am the only tenant in the 18 rooms mansion, he'd promised to get me a spare key to the gate but he keeps saying the same thing.. wondering why he's delaying (maybe he's trying to know me better).

2 Likes

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Bright2(m): 10:25am On Jun 01, 2012
Those pointing at Ikwerre landlords of cause i am one,when you get to ikwerre land,try & rent an appartment from non indigene who bought land & built you will find out the ikwerre man don't have problem so far as you fulfil your own part.I am also a tenant as a traveler ,right now i am in Gwer east LGA of Benue state,i didn't carry my house along,sometimes we have this challenges too. It doesn't really matter about tribes rather it's about individual & it happens every where.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by kuss: 10:26am On Jun 01, 2012
if you are staying in house that has scorpion of zero sign on it, pray hard.

1 Like

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 01, 2012
Imanuelle:

u re very right...
my ikwerre caretaker is worse... i always dodge him, there is always something to pay for whenever he comes around.
What is it with ikwerre landlords ? I had this roommate about 2 yrs ago. His dad who is late owned a house in ph. You needed to see the way he threatened tenants on the phone, boasting of what he wld do when he gets home, and to think of the fact that he was only 23.
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by trigar12(m): 10:32am On Jun 01, 2012
Our landlord wants us to pay 4 everytin. He accuses me wrongly of doing bad tinz and he stares at everytin we buy. I HATE HIM
Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by POTUT(m): 10:38am On Jun 01, 2012
I am owing my landlord 200k from last year and another 500k for the new rent that has just rolled in. He has been to my house and we have talked about 4 times now about the payment. He understands that losing a job isn't easy, especially when you haven't found another. He prays for me and even when I asked him to give me a fixed moratorium, he told me that he couldn't, that God will make a way for me. Now how do I describe such a man?

He is Yoruba and I am Ibo...tribalism just died! He even used some Ibo adages during our conversation.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Is Your Landlord Treating You by Dipwater(m): 10:39am On Jun 01, 2012
1st landlord wus nice but has a stewpid wife dat wants to know evri thng about her tenants. I did put her in her place , she's dirty and doesn't take care of her kids ,
Second lanlord wuz nosy and wen I bought new properties automatically my rent went up .we later settled it in court
The third lanlord wuz ok ,I didn't know much about him cuz he wuznt living with us ,nice building but very xpensive slendid environment with gud neighbors .the 4 of us were yung men so we did enjoy each others copany
The present one is a mother. She doesn't trouble no body luv her so much but its so sad I,ll be leaving her cus am gonna be a landlord very soon catch yall am hungry. I wan go chop

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is This The Most Beautiful House You've Seen In Your Life / Systems Of Land Tenure In Nigeria / *SILVERTON GARDENS 1 AREPO* 10mins Drive From Alausa. #6m Per Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.