Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,493 members, 7,812,528 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT (1483 Views)

Shortlisted Candidates For 2014 Addax/nnpc Scholarship Exam Is Out / Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / GRE, GMAT, SAT, TOEFL Etc Testing Suspended In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 6:39pm On Jun 02, 2012
which exam is relevant to study mechanical eng. in abroad, like GRE, GMAT, SAT etc. and what are d requirements 4 d exam
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 7:23pm On Jun 02, 2012
Dstar4u: which exam is relevant to study mechanical eng. in abroad, like GRE, GMAT, SAT etc. and what are d requirements 4 d exam

Are you an undergrad or a grad? You just lumped undergrad and grad tests together.
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2012
Undergraduate, explain further pls, all comments are welcome. Tanx
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 10:25pm On Jun 02, 2012
Bro, that is why am here, i ve no knowledge of these tests but pls, explain them 2 me. Which level can i take it? How much is it? When & where can i take Am an undergraduate. Tanx bro
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 2:53pm On Jun 03, 2012
Dstar4u: Bro, that is why am here, i ve no knowledge of these tests but pls, explain them 2 me. Which level can i take it? How much is it? When & where can i take Am an undergraduate. Tanx bro

These tests are mainly requested by US schools. Is it a US school you want to study?

Do you want to sponsor yourself fully? Do you have up to 5 A1s or 6 A2s/A3s or a combination of these grades with little or no C?

T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 6:49pm On Jun 03, 2012
Tanx. Test to apply for admission in US schools base on scholarship, i had 3 A1s n 4 B2s.
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2012
Dstar4u: Tanx. Test to apply for admission in US schools base on scholarship, i had 3 A1s n 4 B2s.

Try to research SAT 1 & 2. You will need a TOEFL score too.

Meanwhile, I think it is better for you to study and do well in Nigeria. Afterwards, you can easily get scholarships to study in the US.

T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 10:26pm On Jun 03, 2012
Tanx. 4 this contribution to my life. You mean after B.sc or what. I don't get you like that. Tanx
tanimola22:

Try to research SAT 1 & 2. You will need a TOEFL score too.

Meanwhile, I think it is better for you to study and do well in Nigeria. Afterwards, you can easily get scholarships to study in the US.

T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 11:16pm On Jun 03, 2012
Dstar4u:
Tanx. 4 this contribution to my life. You mean after B.sc or what. I don't get you like that. Tanx

Hey, sorry for being unclear.

Do a BSc at any naija university, make a GPA as close to 5/5 as possible. You will not find it hard to get scholarships afterwards.

Have you tried UME?
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 11:30pm On Jun 03, 2012
Am presently studying mech. eng in a polytechnic but i wish to go for Bsc in abroad after my ND. Thats why i want to apply for any possible test to get scholarship to study in US.
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 12:40am On Jun 04, 2012
Dstar4u: Am presently studying mech. eng in a polytechnic but i wish to go for Bsc in abroad after my ND. Thats why i want to apply for any possible test to get scholarship to study in US.
+
Good one for opening up. I know a guy who was given a scholarship to begin BSc after his OND. He had 3.68/4.0 in the OND, Yabatech. He did the SAT and TOEFL. He still had to prove that someone in naija would be willing to sponsor him just in case he fails to meet the scholarship GPA while studying in the US. A minimum GPA is usually required to continue enjoying a scholarship.

If your profile is similar to that of the guy and you have someone who is willing to give you a sponsorship letter, then you can start by taking SAT.

T22.
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 1:59am On Jun 04, 2012
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 2:00am On Jun 04, 2012
tanimola22:
+
Good one for opening up. I know a guy who was given a scholarship to begin BSc after his OND. He had 3.68/4.0 in the OND, Yabatech. He did the SAT and TOEFL. He still had to prove that someone in naija would be willing to sponsor him just in case he fails to meet the scholarship GPA while studying in the US. A minimum GPA is usually required to continue enjoying a scholarship.

If your profile is similar to that of the guy and you have someone who is willing to give you a sponsorship letter, then you can start by taking SAT.

T22.
My brother, frankly speaking, no one to sponsor besides how much is school fee in US, although i know it varies and how i can register for these tests and how much does each cost? I pray for God's intervention positively in your life.
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 9:28am On Jun 04, 2012
Dstar4u: My brother, frankly speaking, no one to sponsor besides how much is school fee in US, although i know it varies and how i can register for these tests and how much does each cost? I pray for God's intervention positively in your life.

I can only advise you to continue with this plan of yours if you have the following

1. Good O'level (which you say you have)

2. > 3.5/4.0 OND and your full transcript

3. Money to take those tests (SAT 1 & 2 together cost around 30-50K, TOEFL costs around 17-25K, books for these tests cost 10-12K)

4. Being very sure to do very well on the tests

5. Someone to act as your sponsor just in case the embassy needs a letter from your sponsor

6. Money for application fees to the many schools you will apply to

If you do not have all these things, then forget about undergraduate studies in the US. Instead, focus on crossing to a university there in Nigeria. Do very well at the university (you are at an advantage because poly people are known to do very well at BSc level). After you have done very well at the university, you won't have problems getting a scholarship to go pursue graduate studies abroad, in fact any country of your choice.

However, if you confidently feel you have the above listed items, and even more, then visit http://www.eglobaltechng.com/satdates.html to learn more about registering for the tests.

Finally, start only what you can finish.

T22.

2 Likes

Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by sawyer89: 1:44pm On Jun 04, 2012
Mr Tanimola,thanks a lot for sparing time to solve people's challenges.May God reward you greatly!
I'll be glad if you can outline the reguirements needed in securing a PG scholarship in either Canadian or America universities. Moreso,which university(ies) will you advise a Chemical Engr. Student to process for his Masters.
NB:likely to finish with 2:1 with a GPA of 4.10/5
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 3:40pm On Jun 04, 2012
sawyer89: Mr Tanimola,thanks a lot for sparing time to solve people's challenges.May God reward you greatly!
I'll be glad if you can outline the reguirements needed in securing a PG scholarship in either Canadian or America universities. Moreso,which university(ies) will you advise a Chemical Engr. Student to process for his Masters.
NB:likely to finish with 2:1 with a GPA of 4.10/5

Congrats in advance, and thank you for the best wishes.

First, register and ace GRE and TOEFL. When you have done so, we can start the serious discussion.

Do your best to maintain anything >= 4/5

T22.

1 Like

Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by AjanleKoko: 5:50pm On Jun 04, 2012
I have to say, kudos to T22 for always responding to Career section posts, no matter how embarrassingly asinine, or utterly ridiculous they are.
I've long since been frustrated by the threads people come here to open. undecided
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 6:33pm On Jun 04, 2012
tanimola22:

I can only advise you to continue with this plan of yours if you have the following

1. Good O'level (which you say you have)

2. > 3.5/4.0 OND and your full transcript

3. Money to take those tests (SAT 1 & 2 together cost around 30-50K, TOEFL costs around 17-25K, books for these tests cost 10-12K)

4. Being very sure to do very well on the tests

5. Someone to act as your sponsor just in case the embassy needs a letter from your sponsor

6. Money for application fees to the many schools you will apply to

If you do not have all these things, then forget about undergraduate studies in the US. Instead, focus on crossing to a university there in Nigeria. Do very well at the university (you are at an advantage because poly people are known to do very well at BSc level). After you have done very well at the university, you won't have problems getting a scholarship to go pursue graduate studies abroad, in fact any country of your choice.

However, if you confidently feel you have the above listed items, and even more, then visit http://www.eglobaltechng.com/satdates.html to learn more about registering for the tests.

Finally, start only what you can finish.

T22.
Tanx for making nairaland a place to be. More power to your elbow, am very grateful.

1 Like

Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 8:43pm On Jun 04, 2012
Dstar4u: Tanx for making nairaland a place to be. More power to your elbow, am very grateful.

You are very welcome.

T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 8:59pm On Jun 04, 2012
AjanleKoko: I have to say, kudos to T22 for always responding to Career section posts, no matter how embarrassingly asinine, or utterly ridiculous they are.
I've long since been frustrated by the threads people come here to open. undecided

Thanks. Lol, yes some posts can really be exasperating and comical..

T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 3:30pm On Jun 08, 2012
bro am here once again, pls SAT and TOEFL tests result last for how many years for the application into US universities. Tanx
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 3:42pm On Jun 08, 2012
Dstar4u: bro am here once again, pls SAT and TOEFL tests result last for how many years for the application into US universities. Tanx

TOEFL --2 years
SAT--5 years (I am not too sure here. I just deduced from GRE/GMAT. Please do further research)

T22.
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Dstar4u(m): 12:56am On Jun 09, 2012
ok alright tanx bro
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by jnrremedy(m): 8:57am On Jun 09, 2012
@t22
tanks a lot for always responding to questions u ve helped a lot of people wit ur insightful threads.God will also ans u
pls i need ur help. is it compulsory to write gre nd toefl before one can apply for pg scholarships even if it is not in us or canada.i ve not written any of d exams(planned to write dem next year due to financial constraint nau)does dat mean i cant apply for any scholarship now. i am a fresh graduate of biochemistry wit a cgpa of 4.4/5
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 10:40am On Jun 09, 2012
jnrremedy: @t22
tanks a lot for always responding to questions u ve helped a lot of people wit ur insightful threads.God will also ans u
pls i need ur help. is it compulsory to write gre nd toefl before one can apply for pg scholarships even if it is not in us or canada.i ve not written any of d exams(planned to write dem next year due to financial constraint nau)does dat mean i cant apply for any scholarship now. i am a fresh graduate of biochemistry wit a cgpa of 4.4/5

Hi,

Thank you for noticing and congrats on your huge achievements so far.

No, the tests are not a must. However, without scores from the tests, your reach will mostly be limited to the EMEA and Asian countries. The tests will help you increase the number of places you can send your applications to. And as you know, this also increases your likelihood of being accepted and getting good scholarship offers.

Might I also add that your GPA is what we term 'painfully frontier'. Imagine you not including such a GPA on your CV. You just have to, mhen. If you don't, then you will be doing yourself a huge disfavor. There is statistically no difference between you and another 'I am a first class grad with a GPA of 4.51'. As I remarked in one of my previous posts, many first class people don't include their GPAs on their CV. Have you bothered to ask why? Someone even said including one's GPA on one's CV will cause the assessor to troway the CV in the bin. hahahah. Well, let's not go there. After all, first class na first class, 2.1 na 2.1 and 2.2 na 2.2. But I am sure you get my drift.

Meanwhile, if you can also add the GRE Biochemistry subject test to your list of tests to be taken, then admissions committees, especially those in North America, will love you.. For info on GRE Biochem subject test, please see http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/biochemistry

Enjoy!
T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by jnrremedy(m): 2:34pm On Jun 09, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

Thank you for noticing and congrats on your huge achievements so far.

No, the tests are not a must. However, without scores from the tests, your reach will mostly be limited to the EMEA and Asian countries. The tests will help you increase the number of places you can send your applications to. And as you know, this also increases your likelihood of being accepted and getting good scholarship offers.

Might I also add that your GPA is what we term 'painfully frontier'. Imagine you not including such a GPA on your CV. You just have to, mhen. If you don't, then you will be doing yourself a huge disfavor. There is statistically no difference between you and another 'I am a first class grad with a GPA of 4.51'. As I remarked in one of my previous posts, many first class people don't include their GPAs on their CV. Have you bothered to ask why? Someone even said including one's GPA on one's CV will cause the assessor to troway the CV in the bin. hahahah. Well, let's not go there. After all, first class na first class, 2.1 na 2.1 and 2.2 na 2.2. But I am sure you get my drift.

Meanwhile, if you can also add the GRE Biochemistry subject test to your list of tests to be taken, then admissions committees, especially those in North America, will love you.. For info on GRE Biochem subject test, please see http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/biochemistry

Enjoy!
T22
tanxs a lot for replying
for d cgpa, lose out in d dime minute as at 1st semester 400l i was stil withing d 1st class range(four.four eight) but was down wit an illness in d last semester dat kept me out of skul for 10weeks(d whole semester is 15 weeks) so dat in a way affected my final results(had an e in 3unit course). But i ve put dat behind me i believe i can stil get a good offer even with this cgpa. Thanks for the advice, i hv seen one of ur posts where u buttressed the point of indicating cgpa in cv when one is having a border class cgpa nd i ve taking note of dat
i wil write d gre exam next year is the biochemistry gre part of the general gre or i will have to write that seperatly and wats EMEA u mentioned it in ur post
thanks once again pray God wil continue to bless u nd ur prayers wil not be left unanswered. U re realy torching lives
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by tanimola22: 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2012
jnrremedy:
tanxs a lot for replying
for d cgpa, lose out in d dime minute as at 1st semester 400l i was stil withing d 1st class range(four.four eight) but was down wit an illness in d last semester dat kept me out of skul for 10weeks(d whole semester is 15 weeks) so dat in a way affected my final results(had an e in 3unit course). But i ve put dat behind me i believe i can stil get a good offer even with this cgpa. Thanks for the advice, i hv seen one of ur posts where u buttressed the point of indicating cgpa in cv when one is having a border class cgpa nd i ve taking note of dat
i wil write d gre exam next year is the biochemistry gre part of the general gre or i will have to write that seperatly and wats EMEA u mentioned it in ur post
thanks once again pray God wil continue to bless u nd ur prayers wil not be left unanswered. U re realy torching lives

Yes, your chances of getting something good are very, very far from being low. You are already writing out your statement of purpose. Please include the above in your statement of purpose. It will help explain the E you got.

This is how it works. GRE general--comprises quantitative, verbal and AWA(analytical writing). GRE subject--Biochemistry in your case. Most people don't take the subject test because almost all grad schools just recommend it. This means that it is not necessarily important for admissions and scholarships. However, if you take it and do very well, then many schools will beg you with scholarships. In fact, if you take it and blast it, then there is no need looking at only average schools around the world. You have to go well above average. See http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/biochemistry-rankings and http://www.chem.harvard.edu/academic/FAQ_update_for_2011_12.pdf for you to start dreaming. Mind you, your dream can become reality.

Sorry, EMEA means Europe, Middle East and Africa. See http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=29979.

Finally, if you just want scholarships from any universities abroad (minus the US), then begin your search and start applying by August 2012 for September 2013 admissions. You don't need to wait until next year if your plan is not necessarily biased towards North America. See http://www.scholarships-links.com/field/Biochemistry-Scholarships.html. You can begin your application now,now before you even log out.

I am happy to help you design an academic CV. Just use a combo of http://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/mwinterhalter/CV/CV_TRAN.pdf and http://eecs.wsu.edu/~mehrizi/201205_CV_AliMehrizi-Sani.pdf as a guide to come up with something nice.

T22
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by jnrremedy(m): 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2012
tanimola22:

Yes, your chances of getting something good are very, very far from being low. You are already writing out your statement of purpose. Please include the above in your statement of purpose. It will help explain the E you got.

This is how it works. GRE general--comprises quantitative, verbal and AWA(analytical writing). GRE subject--Biochemistry in your case. Most people don't take the subject test because almost all grad schools just recommend it. This means that it is not necessarily important for admissions and scholarships. However, if you take it and do very well, then many schools will beg you with scholarships. In fact, if you take it and blast it, then there is no need looking at only average schools around the world. You have to go well above average. See http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/biochemistry-rankings and http://www.chem.harvard.edu/academic/FAQ_update_for_2011_12.pdf for you to start dreaming. Mind you, your dream can become reality.

Sorry, EMEA means Europe, Middle East and Africa. See http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=29979.

Finally, if you just want scholarships from any universities abroad (minus the US), then begin your search and start applying by August 2012 for September 2013 admissions. You don't need to wait until next year if your plan is not necessarily biased towards North America. See http://www.scholarships-links.com/field/Biochemistry-Scholarships.html. You can begin your application now,now before you even log out.

I am happy to help you design an academic CV. Just use a combo of http://www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/mwinterhalter/CV/CV_TRAN.pdf and http://eecs.wsu.edu/~mehrizi/201205_CV_AliMehrizi-Sani.pdf as a guide to come up with something nice.

T22

tanks so much wil start working on your recommendations immediately
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by worldz(m): 11:46pm On Jun 09, 2012

1 Like

Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Wumil: 5:42am On Feb 14, 2013
Hello, Tani; i would like to say you have done well on this thread, I will like to ask the following questions
1.]
Re: Which Exam Is Relevant To Study Mechanical Eng. In Abroad, Like GRE, GMAT, SAT by Wumil: 6:13am On Feb 16, 2013
Hello @tani; I will liketo ask the following questions, your response will be highly appreciated.

1.] I had a 3rd class in Physics Education from UI, presently I can't remember my exact CGPA, but I will be writing GRE n TOEFL ASAP n I've also been teaching Physics ever since.
2.] Can you suggest schools that will accept me for any IT or ICT related course.
3.] I will also like to know about SEVIS fees.
4.] Whats the difference between, US assistanceship and Canada's Co-op.
5.] Will you suggest that I should use a visa processing company or do the processing myself

(1) (Reply)

...simplest Method To Root Your Tecno P7.... / Unizik Admission List Out(first Batch) / Issue On Direct Entry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.