Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,727 members, 7,955,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:16 PM

Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo (5748 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Culture Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 4:37am On Jun 04, 2012
For some time now, I've wondered about the reasons behind the settlement patterns of the Igbo peoples. I took interest in this topic when I noticed that most of the upper and central half of Igboland was dotted with groups that lived in independent cities/large villages while the lower half was characterized with groups that expanded beyond the conventional city-state and inhabited 'lands' of their own.

For example, the Ọnicha people are based in the bustling city of Onitsha, whereas the Ngwa people are spread across a large area of land dotted with medium-sized cities and large villages. The Ọka people, in the Igbo heartland, are all based in the city of Awka while the Ikwere people (in the southernmost fringes of Igboland) are spread (again like the Ngwa) over a large area of land dotted by mid-sized cities and large villages.

With groups like the Ikwere, Ngwa, Etche, and Ọlu (to some extent), it is possible to add the suffix 'land' when speaking about their actual location but it's not so for groups like the Ọnicha, the Ọka, the Nkanu, or the Ọhafia who are all 'city-state clans'. The only real exception that I've noticed (so far) are the Aro who occupy varioius city-states but yet have no real concept of 'Aroland' since they aren't concentrated in one area.

My question is why is this so? Why is the upper half of Igboland generally urban and concentrated while the lower is more spread out?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by AndreUweh(m): 12:54pm On Jun 04, 2012
Prior to the coming of the Europeans, there were no Igbo towns or cities except Onitsha. The whole of Igbo clans lived in same kindred-clan settings. Some of the places that has become towns and cities rose as a result of administrative headquarters-Owerri, railway terminus-Umuahia, Aba, Port Harcour; mineral production-Enugu etc.
Cancel this examples, Igboland have the same settlement patterns and Igbo people still lay more emphasis on their clans and kindreds more than the towns.
I do not really believe that northern half of Igboland is more urbanised than others if not for the coming of the whiteman.

2 Likes

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 11:23pm On Jun 04, 2012
Andre Uweh: Prior to the coming of the Europeans, there were no Igbo towns or cities except Onitsha. The whole of Igbo clans lived in same kindred-clan settings. Some of the places that has become towns and cities rose as a result of administrative headquarters-Owerri, railway terminus-Umuahia, Aba, Port Harcour; mineral production-Enugu etc.
Cancel this examples, Igboland have the same settlement patterns and Igbo people still lay more emphasis on their clans and kindreds more than the towns.
I do not really believe that northern half of Igboland is more urbanised than others if not for the coming of the whiteman.

I understand that the Europeans were responsible for the mass emergence of cities in Igboland, but what I mean is why do the groups in the upper half generally reside in single communities made of clusters of villages while those in the lower half reside in 'lands' made of clusters of communities rather than single communities.

For example, the Ọnicha people only indigenously inhabit the city-state of Onitsha and the concept of 'Ọnichaland' is non-existent. However, the Ngwa people are found in several city-states and village-states.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 12:57am On Jun 05, 2012
odumchi:

I understand that the Europeans were responsible for the mass emergence of cities in Igboland, but what I mean is why do the groups in the upper half generally reside in single communities made of clusters of villages while those in the lower half reside in 'lands' made of clusters of communities rather than single communities.

For example, the Ọnicha people only indigenously inhabit the city-state of Onitsha and the concept of 'Ọnichaland' is non-existent. However, the Ngwa people are found in several city-states and village-states.

The Igbos further South had more lands to live than the ones up North, hence the differences in settlement.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by AndreUweh(m): 1:02am On Jun 05, 2012
Perhaps, commerce and urbanisation changed the status of Onicha. Onicha could have been like any of the villages in Ngwa upon arrival in their present location. They could have been like Eziama, Abayi,Nsulu, Ntigha etc.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 2:57am On Jun 05, 2012
Abagworo:

The Igbos further South had more lands to live than the ones up North, hence the differences in settlement.

You might be right. But then again, the Southern Igbo had not only to worry about each other but also the Ibibio, the Ijo, and other Niger-Deltan groups.

Andre Uweh: Perhaps, commerce and urbanisation changed the status of Onicha. Onicha could have been like any of the villages in Ngwa upon arrival in their present location. They could have been like Eziama, Abayi,Nsulu, Ntigha etc.

Who knows? Maybe they once formed a series of communities. I also noticed that part of Western Igboland is characterized by 'lands' instead of many city-state-subgroups; the Ukwuani and Ika both have 'lands' of their own.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:17am On Jun 05, 2012
In my own opinion, it could be a combination of different factors. The first most obvious factor is simply difference in land area. Unlike southern communities, northern communities do not seem to cut across large expanses of land, as you rightly noted. Simply put, northern communities either could not, or chose not to settle vast expanses of land, and rather maintained tight, nucleated settlements. Southern communities, on the other hand, who's traditions emphasize uninhabited areas, had the freedom to settle large expanses of land. This answers the question of why the upper half of Igboland is generally concentrated while the lower is more spread out.

The next factor is the difference in societal structures. Northern communities practiced a rather stratified and titled social system, in contrast to southern communities, which traditionally maintained a thoroughly egalitarian system. This stratified social structure in particular, coupled with northern communities' characteristically compact, large village-group type structure, could have likely facilitated the development of city-states in the northern part of Igbo area, unlike in the southern part, where no such stratification traditionally exists.

The societal difference between northern and southern communities is then further contrasted by another factor; southern communities' development of extensive cultural, historical, and ancestral self-awareness. Basically, southern communities developed several townships (its own version of northern communities' city-states), which self-identified with each other, ethnically. This ethnic self-awareness ("clan consciousness", as some Igbo would like to put it), is probably the most defining factor for why it is possible to add the suffix "land" when speaking about southern communities' locations. The fact that this self-awareness also cuts across large expanses of land helps to further validate and facilitate this particular concept of land.

That's how I understand the development of the characteristically nothern city-states and the characteristically southern lands.

Communities in Northern region
- Small settlement area
- Dense settlement pattern; single, compact large village-group type structure
- Social stratification and title society
(concentrated settlement and social stratification tends to bring about city-states)

Communities in Southern region
- Large settlement area
- Spread out settlement pattern; multiple townships
- Egalitarian
- Ethnic self-awareness

Different factors in play.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 05, 2012
Having huge populations could be a factor.

I also think that having a monarchy in place also tend to concentrate a people.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ifyalways(f): 8:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
There is actually Onicha-land though its not as popular as Ngwaland.Its known in the town as "enu Onicha" and thats where u get the indigenous villages et all.

I think dede Andrews reply captures it perfectly.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 8:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
ChinenyeN: In my own opinion, it could be a combination of different factors. The first most obvious factor is simply difference in land area. Unlike southern communities, northern communities do not seem to cut across large expanses of land, as you rightly noted. Simply put, northern communities either could not, or chose not to settle vast expanses of land, and rather maintained tight, nucleated settlements. Southern communities, on the other hand, who's traditions emphasize uninhabited areas, had the freedom to settle large expanses of land. This answers the question of why the upper half of Igboland is generally concentrated while the lower is more spread out.

The next factor is the difference in societal structures. Northern communities practiced a rather stratified and titled social system, in contrast to southern communities, which traditionally maintained a thoroughly egalitarian system. This stratified social structure in particular, coupled with northern communities' characteristically compact, large village-group type structure, could have likely facilitated the development of city-states in the northern part of Igbo area, unlike in the southern part, where no such stratification traditionally exists.

The societal difference between northern and southern communities is then further contrasted by another factor; southern communities' development of extensive cultural, historical, and ancestral self-awareness. Basically, southern communities developed several townships (its own version of northern communities' city-states), which self-identified with each other, ethnically. This ethnic self-awareness ("clan consciousness", as some Igbo would like to put it), is probably the most defining factor for why it is possible to add the suffix "land" when speaking about southern communities' locations. The fact that this self-awareness also cuts across large expanses of land helps to further validate and facilitate this particular concept of land.

If you ask me, that's how I understand it. The development of the characteristically nothern city-states and the characteristically southern lands was brought on by different factors.

Communities in Northern region
- Small settlement area
- Dense settlement pattern; single, compact large village-group type structure
- Social stratification and title society

Communities in Southern region
- Large settlement area
- Spread out settlement pattern; multiple townships
- Ethnic self-awareness

It seems like you've hit the nail. I noticed that your own opinion built on Abagworo's and the both of you identified land area as a major factor. I apprecoate this in depth analysis.

mbatuku2: Having huge populations could be a factor.

I also think that having a monarchy in place also tend to concentrate a people.

I agree; the existence of a monarchies is an important factor in the concentration of people.

When you said that population could be a factor, did you mean a concentrating factor or an expanding factor?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 8:59pm On Jun 05, 2012
ifyalways: There is actually Onicha-land though its not as popular as Ngwaland.Its known in the town as "enu Onicha" and thats where u get the indigenous villages et all.

I think dede Andrews reply captures it perfectly.

Really? I didn't know.

Is the "enu Ọnicha" a group of autonomous communities/villages that all identify as Ọnicha or is it a cluster of villages around/within Ọnicha city?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 05, 2012
odumchi:

When you said that population could be a factor, did you mean a concentrating factor or an expanding factor?

I meant an expanding factor. Like in the case of Ngwa people, from their original ancestral settlement in Aba, they started expanding to other places to reduce the competition caused by overpopulation.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 11:10pm On Jun 05, 2012
odumchi:

Really? I didn't know.

Is the "enu Ọnicha" a group of autonomous communities/villages that all identify as Ọnicha or is it a cluster of villages around/within Ọnicha city?

Ify didn't get your thread. Onitsha is a cluster of people and not adequate to be addressed as land unless you include say Idemilis, Ogbaru, Nnewi and co. Nnewi in itself could be addressed as Nnewiland since all the 4 towns that make up Nnewi accept being one but not to be compared with Ngwa that has 7 local Governments and dozens of towns. Ezaa is another Igbo group of note. Ika if considered Igbo could be addressed as Ikaland too.

But all these are as a result of recent ethnic rearrangements. In actuality, the biggest Igbo subgroup is the "Isu" whose land is known as "Isuama" or "Isoma" and spans through the most densely populated part of Imo and Anambra. The truth is that today many people are no longer aware of Isuamaland.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 12:07am On Jun 06, 2012
Abagworo:

Ify didn't get your thread. Onitsha is a cluster of people and not adequate to be addressed as land unless you include say Idemilis, Ogbaru, Nnewi and co. Nnewi in itself could be addressed as Nnewiland since all the 4 towns that make up Nnewi accept being one but not to be compared with Ngwa that has 7 local Governments and dozens of towns. Ezaa is another Igbo group of note. Ika if considered Igbo could be addressed as Ikaland too.

But all these are as a result of recent ethnic rearrangements. In actuality, the biggest Igbo subgroup is the "Isu" whose land is known as "Isuama" or "Isoma" and spans through the most densely populated part of Imo and Anambra. The truth is that today many people are no longer aware of Isuamaland.

All of what, exactly?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 1:06am On Jun 06, 2012
mbatuku2:

I meant an expanding factor. Like in the case of Ngwa people, from their original ancestral settlement in Aba, they started expanding to other places to reduce the competition caused by overpopulation.

Oh ok. I see what you mean now.

Abagworo:

Oh ok.

Like you said regarding the Isuama, most people don't identify themselves as Isuama (that is if they ever did). Nowadays, the term 'Isuama Igbo' is just as relevant as the term 'Cross-River Igbo'; it represents only a collection of different groups in a particular geographical location.

In my opinion, the only group in Isuama that can be classified as a 'land' would be the Ọlu.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by Abagworo(m): 2:37am On Jun 06, 2012
odumchi:

Like you said regarding the Isuama, most people don't identify themselves as Isuama (that is if they ever did). Nowadays, the term 'Isuama Igbo' is just as relevant as the term 'Cross-River Igbo'; it represents only a collection of different groups in a particular geographical location.

In my opinion, the only group in Isuama that can be classified as a 'land' would be the Ọlu.

@bolded. You just stressed the point I was trying to make . "Cross River Igbo" is a recent coinage while Isuama is older than the word Igbo. The use of the phrase "Isuama-Igbo" is like "Ngwa-Igbo" or "Aro-Igbo". The Isuama always knew themselves as Isu until very recent past. Who are the "Ọlu"? Our history has been highly distorted and younger generations know little of these.

The question should be why nowadays people who are Isu are no longer aware. An example is chino11 who is an Isu from Uga in Anambra State condemning Isu from Imo and I told him that he is the same tribe as those people more than Awka and Onitsha but he seemed not to know. I've met some people from Afam in Rivers who are unaware that they are same as Azumini in Abia. I mean people of less than 16years old. Their parents know but for unknown reasons did not pass it down to their kids.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 3:42am On Jun 06, 2012
Abagworo:

@bolded. You just stressed the point I was trying to make . "Cross River Igbo" is a recent coinage while Isuama is older than the word Igbo. The use of the phrase "Isuama-Igbo" is like "Ngwa-Igbo" or "Aro-Igbo". The Isuama always knew themselves as Isu until very recent past. Who are the "Ọlu"? Our history has been highly distorted and younger generations know little of these.

Oh ok, now I see what you mean. The Ọlu (aka Orlu) are a people in northern Imo state who dwell in a few autonomous communities including Orlu and Amaigbo.

Abagworo:

The question should be why nowadays people who are Isu are no longer aware. An example is chino11 who is an Isu from Uga in Anambra State condemning Isu from Imo and I told him that he is the same tribe as those people more than Awka and Onitsha but he seemed not to know. I've met some people from Afam in Rivers who are unaware that they are same as Azumini in Abia. I mean people of less than 16years old. Their parents know but for unknown reasons did not pass it down to their kids.

I perfectly understand what you mean. I think the Isuama presence was felt mainly through the Isuama version of Igbo which was basically the Igbo spoken in southern Anambra and northern Imo. With the adoption of a new version of centralized Igbo came the decline of Isu awareness.

Anyway... @Everyone,

I'd like to thank you all very much for your worthwhile contributions. If anyone would like to say more, please feel free to.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ifyalways(f): 4:56pm On Jun 06, 2012
I'm quite confused now. I have to go through the thread again.

Odumchi, enu onicha is the collective name for all the villages in onichaland (?)
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:14pm On Jun 06, 2012
odumchi:

Really? I didn't know.

Enu Onicha is simply the residential areas of the indigineous Onicha ppl; Most of Onicha metropolis were unused and farm lands some of which were farmed on by the Obosi,Nkpor,Ogidi and Onucha ppl. We the Nris had the concept of "Ana" which is more ancient than this current "land" idea,which was introduced by the whites. We say Ana Umuoji,Ana Obosi,Onicha and more...
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2012
ifyalways: I'm quite confused now. I have to go through the thread again.

Odumchi, enu onicha is the collective name for all the villages in onichaland (?)

Oooh, I understand what you mean now. I see that I also misunderstood what you said.

Odenigbo Aroli:

Enu Onicha is simply the residential areas of the indigineous Onicha ppl; Most of Onicha metropolis were unused and farm lands some of which were farmed on by the Obosi,Nkpor,Ogidi and Onucha ppl. We the Nris had the concept of "Ana" which is more ancient than this current "land" idea,which was introduced by the whites. We say Ana Umuoji,Ana Obosi,Onicha and more...

The Nri and the Umunri are one of the few upper Igbo groups that are comprised of multiple communities. I thank you again for your clarification on Ọnicha.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 2:35am On Jun 07, 2012
odumchi:
The Nri and the Umunri are one of the few upper Igbo groups that are comprised of multiple communities. I thank you again for your clarification on Ọnicha.
Are you trying to liken Nri/Umunri communities to southern communities?
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by odumchi: 3:15am On Jun 07, 2012
ChinenyeN:

No. I'm only saying that unlike many other northern groups, they are comprised of several autonomous communities that share the same identity. Although it's possible to assert the existence of an 'Nriland', the circumstances behind it and those behind the lands of southern groups like the Ngwa and Ikwere differ.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:53pm On Jun 07, 2012
Alright. I believe I understand. Thank you.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:22pm On Jun 08, 2012
odumchi:

Oooh, I understand what you mean now. I see that I also misunderstood what you said.

I hope you know that Umunri comprises of about eight separate towns who are independent and has their own Ezes; Agukwu Nri,Enugwu Agidi,Enugwu ukwu,Nawfia and Oraeri,Umudioka,Neni,Enugu Ezike and a lost town called Ora and the are the well known Original Umunri clan.Most Anambra groups are divided into small towns but still maintains their clan history.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:36pm On Jun 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

To clarify,the town known as "NRI" is actually calle Agukwu-Nri but most ppl refers to it as Nri,while Umu-Nri is the clans name.

let me ask you something: Does all the Ngwas share one King ?? I dont see much difference between these "city-state" and towns like "Aba" because these city-states are also a part of a larger clan which can be likened to a town like "Aba" or "Nnewi" but more independent.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:48pm On Jun 08, 2012
NRI PRIEST:
To clarify,the town known as "NRI" is actually calle Agukwu-Nri but most ppl refers to it as Nri,while Umu-Nri is the clans name.

let me ask you something: Does all the Ngwas share one King ?? I dont see much difference between these "city-state" and towns like "Aba" because these city-states are also a part of a larger clan which can be likened to a town like "Aba" or "Nnewi" but more independent.

Ngwa has never had a king, unless you want to count the post-colonial 'ezeship' occurrence. Now, concerning the rest of your post, I'm not sure I get where exactly you're coming from. The bolded in particular, I do not understand. For instance, how Aba fits into your explanation.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:31pm On Jun 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Ngwa has never had a king, unless you want to count the post-colonial 'ezeship' occurrence. Now, concerning the rest of your post, I'm not sure I get where exactly you're coming from. The bolded in particular, I do not understand. For instance, how Aba fits into your explanation.

Isnt Aba Ngwa land ? I was trying to state that Northern Igbo has large settlements like in the southern parts but are also independent because of their republican mindset. like in Nnewi,they have Otolo,Ichi and Uruagu quaters but they are still part of the larger Nnewi town just like you have Isiala Ngwa,Okpu ala Ngwa and so on.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2012
It seems to me that you're overestimating the settlement area of northern culture-groups. In the south, whole culture-groups occupy at least double the landmass of most northen groups. So it doesn't make sense to attempt to liken northern settlement areas to that of southerners by calling northern settlement areas "large".

To put it into perspective, you cannot even begin to compare the whole of Umunri settlement area to that of Asa which is even small, let alone attempting to compare Nnewi and its quarters, which is much much smaller, to Ngwa. But that is just concerning settlement area. If you were talking about the republican/autonomous/independent community structure, then I could see the sense in your comparison and agree with it, but otherwise, no.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:12am On Jun 09, 2012
ChinenyeN: It seems to me that you're overestimating the settlement area of northern culture-groups. In the south, whole culture-groups occupy at least double the landmass of most northen groups. So it doesn't make sense to attempt to liken northern settlement areas to that of southerners by calling northern settlement areas "large".

To put it into perspective, you cannot even begin to compare the whole of Umunri settlement area to that of Asa which is even small, let alone attempting to compare Nnewi and its quarters, which is much much smaller, to Ngwa. But that is just concerning settlement area. If you were talking about the republican/autonomous/independent community structure, then I could see the sense in your comparison and agree with it, but otherwise, no.

Dude,calm down; I am not comparing the size of Ngwaland to that of Nnewi,my point rather is the set-ups and structures of these groups which is similar. Nnewi is a clan and so is Ngwaland.
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:36am On Jun 09, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Dude,calm down; I am not comparing the size of Ngwaland to that of Nnewi,my point rather is the set-ups and structures of these groups which is similar.
ChinenyeN: If you were talking about the republican/autonomous/independent community structure, then I could see the sense in your comparison and agree with it, but otherwise, no.

-----------------------------------------

NRI PRIEST: Nnewi is a clan and so is Ngwaland.
You don't know what you're talking about. Anyway, if Nnewi wants, it can be "clan".
Re: Urbanism And Expansionism In The Culture Of The Igbo by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:51am On Jun 09, 2012
ChinenyeN:

-----------------------------------------

You don't know what you're talking about. Anyway, if Nnewi wants, it can be "clan".

Feel free to say what you want to say!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Early Colonial Views Of Igbos And Yorubas In Sierra-leone.. / Nigerians & Foreign Accents / Which Lineage Should A Mixed Child Take?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.