Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane (29806 Views)

Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie / Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims / Survivor Of Dana Plane Crash!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by KOURTNEYK: 9:50pm On Jun 05, 2012
Dana airline pilot has been identified as peter Waxtan who just so happens to be a former Spirit airlines pilot from Florida. It is so sad that such a young vibrant man and a very good pilot who tried his best to save the airline from crashing could have unfortunately been handed a plane that was definitely not a awarding all was it we doubt it was.
http://www.naijagal.net/2012/06/peter-waxtan-dana-airline-pilots.html

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by downdraft: 7:06am On Jun 06, 2012
I personally knew Capt Peter Waxtan. before I was captain at Spirit Airlines in 2000 I flew with him as his co-pilot. Captain Waxtan had many years of experience flying DC-9's, MD-83's, Air Bus A-320 series. he was a good pilot and would have no problem flying the MD-83 with a simple engine filure. The MD-83 is an easy plane to fly, with almost all manual flight controls. I dont want to seccond guess but on 1 single engine, 147 Pax light fuel load, no problem to handle. I suspect there may have been fuel contamination, causing a dual engine failure. The only other thing that would be difficult to handle would be a Horizontal Stabilizer Jackscrew fairlure or a thrust reverser unlock. One thing for sure, the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder should explain what happend. I am very sad to hear this story, especially about my co-worker but also the many loss of lives from the airplane and the ground. May God bless them all and may the rest in peace.

44 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by aweaweawe: 10:01am On Jun 06, 2012
this mean,the fault is not from the pilot.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Mavor: 10:03am On Jun 06, 2012
So sorry you lost a dear friend. Really terrible for his family. God be with you and his family in this difficult period. Look on the bright side. He's in a better place (Heaven). Cheers.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:06am On Jun 06, 2012
aweaweawe: this mean,the fault is not from the pilot.

Jamb Question?

Have you ever heard any news that the fault is from the pilot.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by stepo707: 10:06am On Jun 06, 2012
Definitely not the pilot
@ downdraftpilot. So sorry man.Take heart
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 06, 2012

Its neither the airline's too, shit happens in the air.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by honeric01(m): 10:12am On Jun 06, 2012
Maybe the plane ran out of fuel?
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by silibaba: 10:15am On Jun 06, 2012
sorry man. may their souls rest in the blossom of the most high cry cry
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by ayusbobs(m): 10:17am On Jun 06, 2012
no o,it is from the passenger. See talk!

1 Like

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by miteolu(m): 10:17am On Jun 06, 2012
honeric01: Maybe the plane ran out of fuel?

Investigation is irrelevant. It had happened.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by amosy007: 10:22am On Jun 06, 2012
miteolu:

why is it irrelevant? if we don't learn from current occurrences how do we plan to avert the future occurrences?

4 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by ogboss: 10:26am On Jun 06, 2012
I think its high time they give pilots d previledge of accessing the conditions of d planes de fly, and subdue any higher authority above dem 2 dat effect, cos since d country is corupt, I don't tinl any resonable human being wuld accept bribe 2 fly an air coffin

3 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by lifestyle1(m): 10:27am On Jun 06, 2012
downdraft: I personally knew Capt Peter Waxtan. before I was captain at Spirit Airlines in 2000 I flew with him as his co-pilot. Captain Waxtan had many years of experience flying DC-9's, MD-83's, Air Bus A-320 series. he was a good pilot and would have no problem flying the MD-83 with a simple engine filure. The MD-83 is an easy plane to fly, with almost all manual flight controls. I dont want to seccond guess but on 1 single engine, 147 Pax light fuel load, no problem to handle. I suspect there may have been fuel contamination, causing a dual engine failure. The only other thing that would be difficult to handle would be a Horizontal Stabilizer Jackscrew fairlure or a thrust reverser unlock. One thing for sure, the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder should explain what happend. I am very sad to hear this story, especially about my co-worker but also the many loss of lives from the airplane and the ground. May God bless them all and may the rest in peace.

undecided

2 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Rickybel(m): 10:27am On Jun 06, 2012
Not saying its his fault,but a lot of plane crashes are also attributed
To human error.Watch Aircrash Investigation on NatGeo
E.gThe russian pilot who allowed kids to have his breifly cos d plane
Was on autopilot
The Polish plane crash which killed d Polish prime minister and members of his
Cabinet as also down to human error,they weren't cleared for landing due to
Bad weather,but govt officials overruled d pilot.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by olapluto(m): 10:28am On Jun 06, 2012
downdraft: I personally knew Capt Peter Waxtan. before I was captain at Spirit Airlines in 2000 I flew with him as his co-pilot. Captain Waxtan had many years of experience flying DC-9's, MD-83's, Air Bus A-320 series. he was a good pilot and would have no problem flying the MD-83 with a simple engine filure. The MD-83 is an easy plane to fly, with almost all manual flight controls. I dont want to seccond guess but on 1 single engine, 147 Pax light fuel load, no problem to handle. I suspect there may have been fuel contamination, causing a dual engine failure. The only other thing that would be difficult to handle would be a Horizontal Stabilizer Jackscrew fairlure or a thrust reverser unlock. One thing for sure, the flight data recorder and the cockpit voice recorder should explain what happend. I am very sad to hear this story, especially about my co-worker but also the many loss of lives from the airplane and the ground. May God bless them all and may the rest in peace.
That over-confidence in the face of relevant safety may have been the cause of this crash. Following safety procedure has to be 100% though it may look boring. Even if he can fly a faulty train, he SHOULD NOT fly it with people on board. It is irresponsible
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 06, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

Jamb Question?

Have you ever heard any news that the fault is from the pilot.

Did he ask a question?

1 Like

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by wandeay: 10:32am On Jun 06, 2012
the major problem is d plane is problematic, it had fault b4 Dana bought it, it landed an emergency landing in Lagos some weeks ago, it workd on saturday, nd had flown to Abuja earlier that day, b4 returning back to Lagos, d major problem is frm d NCAA who had faild 2 do their job by making sure all planes are in order b4 taking off.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Slyr0x: 10:32am On Jun 06, 2012
ola_pluto:
That over-confidence in the face of relevant safety may have been the cause of this crash. Following safety procedure has to be 100% though it may look boring. Even if he can fly a faulty train, he SHOULD NOT fly it with people on board. It is irresponsible

WTF are you saying?

2 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by honeric01(m): 10:33am On Jun 06, 2012
amosy007:
why is it irrelevant? if we don't learn from current occurrences how do we plan to avert the future occurrences?

u dey mind some people?

Thief come rob your house, so it's wrong to ascertain how it happened because it has already happened?
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 06, 2012
From the jist , i heard, T B Joshua prophesied it and in the prophesy, he said ppl will be saying its a technical fault, but dt its a security breach.
They should not forget that angle during the course of the investigation. For me, i prefer an independent investigation on this issue since we are afraid to step on toes that we should have crushed.
What pains me in this country is dt recommendations are swept under the carpet most times. We have a lot of reports that we cant act on. What is the use of investigation if we cant act on the report.
Why do we pay fire service ppl/ safety, if they are not prepared at all times to stop fire disaster. Its either we want it and keep it functional or we scrap it. I heard the explosion didnt happen immediately, it took some time. if the fire was stopped from entering the engine, we wouldnt have lost the number of people we lost.
We have a lot to do.

I weep for Nigeria. I weep for Goodluck Jonathan. He should realise that he commander in chief ( of Everything) and use the power vested on him to fix this ailing country.OOOh!!!

4 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by novaman: 10:42am On Jun 06, 2012
ogboss: I think its high time they give pilots d previledge of accessing the conditions of d planes de fly, and subdue any higher authority above dem 2 dat effect, cos since d country is corupt, I don't tinl any resonable human being wuld accept bribe 2 fly an air coffin

Just like checking if your car is in order before you drive out my brother its not beans o, after all the years training to become a pilot, he will then return for additional engineering training.

honeric01: Maybe the plane ran out of fuel?
I am thinking they should create fuel station in the air, as well as a plane park in the air too grin
You are right, a boy was flying his kite and it obstruct the view of the pilot, so i agree with you completely

@Downdraft - I feel your pain, may his soul rest in peace
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by maclatunji: 10:46am On Jun 06, 2012
miteolu:

Holy Macaroni! I cannot believe this!

2 Likes

Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by drzed: 10:47am On Jun 06, 2012

Thank you for your insight. Just a question/observation:

Based on account of eye witnesses who said the plane kept dipping and rising as the pilot tried to control it, doesnt that suggest that the engines were still functioning? If the engines were out due to contaminated fuel of whatever, surely, it would be difficult to manoeuvre the plane up and down, continuously. But hopefully, the flight data and cockpit voice recorder will reveal details of what the pilots' went through before it crashed.

So sad. I know the family that lost NINE relatives in that crash. I dont even know what to say to my friend. The pain is incomprehensible. I hope this tragedy wont be swept under the rug of our corrupt system.

May God have mercy on the departed and comfort the living.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Nobody: 10:50am On Jun 06, 2012
wandeay: the major problem is d plane is problematic, it had fault b4 Dana bought it, it landed an emergency landing in Lagos some weeks ago, it workd on saturday, nd had flown to Abuja earlier that day, b4 returning back to Lagos, d major problem is frm d NCAA who had faild 2 do their job by making sure all planes are in order b4 taking off.

Bros, don't say what you have no idea of here, the plane that had an emergency landing last week has a registration of 5N-FRI, while the ill fated plane on sunday was with registration 5N-RAM, so get your facts right. There are some things that are hidden from public knowledge, mere speculations are flying here and there.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by mrperfect(m): 10:51am On Jun 06, 2012
This is really sad.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Gbengazzee(m): 10:51am On Jun 06, 2012
ola_pluto:

GBAM.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by Dgunnerz(m): 10:53am On Jun 06, 2012
I heard the fault is from the luggage!
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by teskyg: 10:53am On Jun 06, 2012
R.i.p,but why did you fly a faulty plane?Lesson to other Pilots too.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by shabaranky: 10:54am On Jun 06, 2012
Na wa o! Life!!
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by maclatunji: 10:54am On Jun 06, 2012
drzed:

Thank you for your insight. Just a question/observation:

Based on account of eye witnesses who said the plane kept dipping and rising as the pilot tried to control it, doesnt that suggest that the engines were still functioning? If the engines were out due to contaminated fuel of whatever, surely, it would be difficult to manoeuvre the plane up and down, continuously. But hopefully, the flight data and cockpit voice recorder will reveal details of what the pilots' went through before it crashed.

So sad. I know the family that lost NINE relatives in that crash. I dont even know what to say to my friend. The pain is incomprehensible. I hope this tragedy wont be swept under the rug of our corrupt system.

May God have mercy on the departed and comfort the living.

From eye witness reports I saw on TV last night, it was said that the plane got tangled between a mango and coconut tree, got out of tangle by rising and then crashed into the building which contained a warehouse with several shipping containers with different imported goods including books.
Re: Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane by tpia5: 10:57am On Jun 06, 2012
Seems that was supposed to be his last flight before returning to florida. Also, someone on a news site mentioned the pilot was american , within hours of the crash. ( i even thought he was mistaken). This was while nlers were posting pictures of a nigerian captain. How did foreigners overseas have access to this information so quickly?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adeyemi Oyetade Facilitating Deportation Of Nigerians From Norway / Updates On The Lagos - Ibadan Railway Line (Photos) / Anambra Int'l Airport: Commercial Flights Arrive From Abuja & Lagos:video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.