Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee (5558 Views)

APC Set Up Nine-man Interim Management Committee / Jonathan Names Orubebe New Power Minister / Jonathan Names Acting President Of Appeal Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by free2ryhme: 6:51am On Jun 07, 2012
[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=JONATHANBLACK_FEC_MEETING_1A_396002910.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]•President Jonathan signing the condolence register ...yesterday

The black box of the ill-fated Dana Air plane which crashed in Lagos last Sunday will be taken to the United States today – in a bid to find out the cause of the tragedy.

Nigeria lacks a good laboratory to analyse the key conponent of the aircraft, it was learnt yesterday.

All 153 onboard the Abuja-Lagos flight 9J-922 died. On the ground, 10 died.

Also yesterday, the Federal Government ordered an up-to-date audit of all airlines as part of measures to forestall another crash. A nine-man Technical and Administrative Review Panel, headed by Group Captain John Obakpolor (rtd), an aeronautical engineer, was set up. Other members of the panel are Captain Austin Omame, Capt Dele Sasegbon, Dr OB Aliu, FC Onyeyiri, Capt Mfon Udom, Capt Muhtar Usman, Dr Tony Anuforom and Capt A Mshelia.

The panel’s report, the government promised, will be made public. President Goodluck Jonathan vowed to take a firm action when necessary.

Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar II, and others called for a “thorough” investigation of the crash in which about 160 died.

The panel will do a comprehensive assessment of all domestic airlines and recommend to the government actions that should be taken to improve safety.

Besides, it will assess the financial health line of airlines operating within Nigeria.

Briefing reporters immediately after the “special” Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting held in memory of the victims of flight 9j-922, Aviation Minister Stella Oduah said the committee, which has six months to complete its work was expected to come up with a comprehensive report on each of the airlines in the country.

On regulation, she said the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), will be strengthened. This, she said, includes the implementation of the Central Bank/Ministry of Aviation committee recommendations.

The minister, who hinted about moving the black box to the United States for analyses, said: “At the site of the incident, there were people with AIB t-shirts; they were gathering information.

“They cut the parts from the aircraft, looking for clues. The information they obtained will be taken back to the lab for analysis to get exactly the reason for the accident. But, in addition to that, because we do not have a laboratory for the black boxes, we need to take them outside the country for proper analysis.”

Mrs Oduah also assured of proper diagnosis of the cause of the crash. “I want to also say that among the team that worked with AIB, are international experts and so, you are not likely to have collusion or reports that will have integrity issue. So, I want to assure that the report we will get will be a very authentic report,” She said.

On the nine-man panel, she said: “Mr. President has graciously approved the names of those that will be part of the investigative panel. As you are aware, there are two investigative panels that will be going on simultaneously; one will use the other as a resource, based on aviation global best practices.

“We cannot redesign ours; we have to do it in line with what is obtainable in the aviation sector. And so, immediately an accident takes place in aviation, the Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) commences investigation.

The reason is to ensure that we don’t have a reoccurrence and so we are very preventive in aviation, not to have this happen again. But, most importantly, is to determine the cause of the accident.

“The economic regulatory aspect of NCAA will be strengthened to monitor domestic airlines on a regular basis. So, whenever we see signs that indicate danger, we will be able to either shut down the airline or take precautionary actions so that we don’t get into a very bad situation.”

On the recommendations of the CBN/ FMA, she said: there is an ongoing committee between the Ministry of Aviation, the CBN, commercial banks and other financial agencies. They are set in the first place to ensure that domestic airlines are restructured. They are coming out with their recommendations today and we have read a preliminary report and so we will implement it fully.

“Mr. President has granted us that approval and when this is done, all the local airlines will have a transformed structure. And we all know that the reason why most domestic airlines have problems is because the structures within which they are operating are very faulty. So, we are fixing that with this measure.

Mrs Oduah added: “The current airline economic regulatory regime will be reviewed again within the next three months to make it more effective, current and relevant to safety needs. The safety measure in aviation is like the cardinal; it is not negotiable; it is not subject to discussion. It is what must be done and it is what is done on a regular basis. Everything is safety.”

On reports of past crashes, she said: “I wasn’t there before and cannot answer for them now. I can tell you what is happening now. I also want to say that all the reports of past air crashes, the Sosoliso, ADC etc are ready and when we get the proper approval to release to the public, we will do so because it serves no purpose to keep it because it is for public knowledge; because there are lessons we should learn from such incidents and not allow them reoccur. That is the purpose.”

The minister also said the crashed aircraft was not the one that was investigated over the concern raised by Akwa Ibom Governor Godswill Akpabio. She said the aircraft involved is abroad for repairs.

Mrs Oduah assured Nigerians: “Air transportation is still the safest mode of transportation. Our airspace is very safe. I hear people say our airspace is not safe, that is not true; we have the safest airspace in the world; we are very safe. What happened has nothing to do with the safety nets of our air space. And so I want to assure Nigerians that what happened on Sunday will not reoccur, by the grace of God. We will do everything humanly possible to ensure that we enhance our safety policies and procedures and we are doing that now to ensure that NCAA becomes stronger and their regulatory oversight is enhanced.

“With all the approvals we have got and with the transformation measures that is currently ongoing, in addition to institutional reforms that we started about a year ago, everything is on course. All these are to ensure we have safe aviation sector in Nigeria. “

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/49386-jonathan-names-nine-man-airlines-audit-committee.html
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Idrico(m): 2:27pm On Jun 07, 2012
Na today!!!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by philip0906(m): 2:27pm On Jun 07, 2012
hehehehe. . .Can someone please remind me of the number of committees that have been set up by this man in only a year? I need 2 write a book about this man. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Princek12(m): 2:31pm On Jun 07, 2012
Another committee again? SMH!
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by quest003: 2:33pm On Jun 07, 2012
Mumu man. Dem mess for FEC, he sets up a commitee to find out who farted. Money miss, he sets up a commitee. Strike dey, he sets up commitee. Patience clocks 65, he sets up anoda commitee.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by ikee(m): 2:33pm On Jun 07, 2012
philip0906: hehehehe. . .Can someone please remind me of the number of committees that have been set up by this man in only a year? I need 2 write a book about this man. grin grin grin
exactly what i want to ask!
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Afam4eva(m): 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
How much did they budget for this? Another opportunity to use the blood of the Dana air victims to steal money.
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by sunjetg: 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
Well,I dont think this is a bad move.We equally need to look into our emergency response system..It's just too poor if we have any!!
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by ikee(m): 2:38pm On Jun 07, 2012
CNN: Mr president, we observed dat u ve formed so many committees upon committees in Nigeria, don't u think those committees re too much?GEJ: well, since u say d committees re too much, I will set up anoda committee 2 desolve those committees...

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by jmslimx(m): 2:42pm On Jun 07, 2012
Why do plane dont have parachute and electable seats?
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by gomentii(m): 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2012
I think every family in this country shuld form a committee to enable us benefit from this man that had no shoe n we gave him dolce n gabana b4 his tenure ends...

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by quest003: 2:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
sunjetg: Well,I dont think this is a bad move.We equally need to look into our emergency response system..It's just too poor if we have any!!
u're right but past commitees has yielded nothing, its only been used to siphone funds into their pockets
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by apoti(m): 2:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
philip0906: hehehehe. . .Can someone please remind me of the number of committees that have been set up by this man in only a year? I need 2 write a book about this man. grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/956697/list-committees-inaugurated-gej-last#11040477
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by emsquare(m): 2:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
Okay ooo!
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
Everything comittee. Just wasting our money and increasing fuel and energy price for us. What is the minister of aviation doing.
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by slimchimex(m): 2:51pm On Jun 07, 2012
no b to name commitee b d problem,bt will it b effective,will it yeild any result,n we'v nt heard any tin abt d oda commitees...naija una dey confused...sorriiiii....
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Obynx: 2:51pm On Jun 07, 2012
IS CAPT MFON UDOM , NOT THE SAME ONE OF ADC AIRLINES ?
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by inspirenet: 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2012
ok
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by ifihearam: 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2012
The most annoying part is the outcome of the disaster will never be brought to public knowlledge

That's it

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by miteolu(m): 2:53pm On Jun 07, 2012
Another chop chop committee. Life and death is vise visa.
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by sunjetg: 2:53pm On Jun 07, 2012
quest003:
u're right but past commitees has yielded nothing, its only been used to siphone funds into their pockets

Messing up with a job like this is like throwing a stone in a market place,it might just hit your own!!
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Jun 07, 2012
Another set of people to go on the payroll.
But for once i will give them the benefit of the doubt that something will come out of it.
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by niddamugu(m): 3:01pm On Jun 07, 2012
As usual! Where are the reports of the Bellview and Sosoliso air crashes? After their preliminary investigations, a high powered committee would be constituted to screen their recommendation......
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Jun 07, 2012
niddamugu: As usual! Where are the reports of the Bellview and Sosoliso air crashes? After their preliminary investigations, a high powered committee would be constituted to screen their recommendation......

With luck on the side of the panel, all will be well this time.
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by ecolime(m): 3:05pm On Jun 07, 2012
Another committee ? Seems creating of such by our leaders during the "spur of the moment" of any ugly situation just to act serious is a tradition in Nigeria... Its not bad really, i just pray and hope something good comes out of it.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Biggyd2: 3:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
Please can they comfirm to us that the members are not in any way 'attached' to these airlines in Nigeria. We need unbiased people on the panel please. That way we would be sure that Nigerians won't be given a 'contaminated report'. Thank God experts outside the country will handle the black box. Hopefully we shall receive from them the kind of report we got from the UK in re Ibori matter. And I hope the governments of all the non-Nigerians on that plane will also push for this panel and our government to do the right thing by their lost citizens.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by ballabriggs: 3:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
What happened to the Dike's committee report set up under 'Obusanjo', have they implemented half of the recommendations of that committee. Another chop-I-chop committee, I respect Captain Obakpolor but doubt how fruitful this would be.
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
ikee: CNN: Mr president, we observed dat u ve formed so many committees upon committees in Nigeria, don't u think those committees re too much?GEJ: well, since u say d committees re too much, I will set up anoda committee 2 desolve those committees...
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by cowgurl: 3:17pm On Jun 07, 2012
Quote...'Black
box will be taken to the united states in a bid to find out the cause
of the tragedy cos Nigeria lacks a good laboratory to analyse the key
component of the aircraft' grin This is embarrassingly funny, please will this analysis be done
for free? Let's go bak to the days of bicycles abeg grin
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by amosy007: 3:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
1. Subsidy reinvestment board
2. Committee on post-election
violence
3. Committee to identify
leakages and waste in the
Ministries, Departments and
Agencies
4. Committee for airport
upgrading
5. Justice Alfa Belgore
committee
6. Presidential Committee on
Award of Post-Graduate
Scholar-ship to first class
graduates
7. Presidential Committee on
the Rationalisation and
Restructuring of Federal
Government Parastatals,
Commissions and Agencies
8. Committee to negotiate with
the radical Islamist sect Boko
Haram
9. Committee to ratify FG
contracts and procurements
10.Pensions Reform Task
Force
11.Committee on transparency
in the oil sector
12.committee set up to
decongest the ports
13.Committee to monitor oil
exports
14.committee saddled with
the responsibility of expelling
all unqualified students from
the school
15.inter-ministerial committee
to work out modalities for
University lecturers to have a
minimum PhD qualification
16.NDDC fact- finding
committee
17.Presidential committee on
road infrastructure
18.Presidential committee on
restructuring and
rationalisation of the Federal
Civil Service

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by freshmoney(m): 3:30pm On Jun 07, 2012
Jonathan keep bankrolling your party people. Good eh angry
Re: Jonathan Names Nine-man Airlines Audit Committee by ifyjay: 3:33pm On Jun 07, 2012
...and the chop chop continues.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

OUK Magnificent Mansion In Abia State PICTURES / Exclusive Photo: Inside APC Propaganda Room, Where the FAKE RESULTS Emanate / Checkout James Ibori's Swag As He Arrives Venue Of His Thanksgiving Service 2day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.