Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,767 members, 7,824,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? (55505 Views)

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users / MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING? NISSAN ALTIMA 2003-2006 EVERYWHERE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by lilkech(m): 9:19am On Jun 08, 2012
inspired_m: The Car is Popularly Called "BIG DADDY" or "BIG For NOTHING".

Model year started from 2002 - 2006

The Later explains further, the Vehicle is Unnecessarily Spacious, the Trunk Can Contain a Large COW.

However, mechanical Wise, It is very SOUND and Cheap to Maintain.

The 4 Cylinder Engine is the same Up till 2011 Toyota Camry,

The 2006 - 2011 Toyota RAV 4 and also the 2001 - 2011 Toyota Highlander SHARES the same 4 CYLINDER Engine with the Camry.

The Engine is arguably the Best YET from Toyota.

Cheers

i heared that the car does not sell overseas because once winter sets in the engine tends to freeze up and then knock up due to extreme cold temperatures

hence the name ' big for nothing '

is this true ?
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by benodese(m): 9:37am On Jun 08, 2012
Dem say it's 2 big n nt gallant enuf.that weneva u travel n drive alone,u shud brrow 3bags of cement 2 go wit otherwis,h go capside oh! Seriously.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by baaliyah(m): 9:46am On Jun 08, 2012
I have seen more than 50 Big 4 Nothing this morning the exteriors are great and clean. It doesn t loose shape at all. The interior is not too bad if you dont compare it with honda. I appreciate reliability in cars not console or A/C vent or DVD. If you like the design go for it.
A good second hand is about 900-950k which is not too bad.
I dont know the cost of gear box.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by elviszzz: 9:49am On Jun 08, 2012
utenwuson: toyota s d one of d best car producing company... Bt i fink camry big daddy is dier mistake..formally call big 4 nofin. S 2 big,d body s nt strong, nt heavy n people ridicul it n dats y is very cheap... Ma aunt bought hers 4 850k

who says toyota is one of the best car producing company? the most expensive n luxury cars in the world are european cars......European cars are for men while japanese are for boyzzz.

2 Likes

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 08, 2012
bisi16:

So so correct, even d voltron model too isn't dat fantastic interior wise.

Subsequent models of voltron from 2008 has an improved dashboard similar to the evil spirit.Let's just say the evolution of camry started from 07 till date.I prefer avensis 05 to this big daddy .

1 Like

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:56am On Jun 08, 2012

the Vehicle is Unnecessarily Spacious, the Trunk Can Contain a Large COW.

LOL. Very funny. Your description of the car's trunk space.

I like the car's exterior and spacious interior. However, I feel the car's dashboard looks too spartan and plain. Very few controls and frills. I believe that is why people refer to it as "Big for Nothing".

1 Like

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 08, 2012
elviszzz: ...........

who says toyota is one of the best car producing company? the most expensive n luxury cars in the world are european cars......European cars are for men while japanese are for boyzzz.

Which european cars ? Peugeot,volkswagen or mercedes ? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Ozichim(m): 10:04am On Jun 08, 2012
lilkech:

i heared that the car does not sell overseas because once winter sets in the engine tends to freeze up and then knock up due to extreme cold temperatures

hence the name ' big for nothing '

is this true ?

By default U should know that this is a makeup. It is serious lie. Every Car has special facility that takes care of freeze/cold issue. No car/engine can work well in overseas without such provision. And no Engine/car manufacturer takes this for granted. So it is a big lie.

NB, Toyota "Big Daddy" is not selling well in Nigeria because people have given it bad name, and many people are follow-follow type. This car has lasted since 2002 and now. If it has such problem Toyota would have recalled it since, and the car won’t have lasted more than three years. I think it is only Nigerians that call this Camry model Big for nothing.
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by bolarine: 10:09am On Jun 08, 2012
Its just d size n simply interior, i ve driven the toyota orobo n toyota big daddy, big dad is super on express if u dont run above 150km/h. Anything above dat, it becomes very light n any bump or bad holes on d nigeria road might lead to accident. I had an accident wt mine last year june but because of GOD,the spacious interior n seat belt i escape unhurt. At top speed i.e 160km/h n above, the trunk takes control n car may be swerving in d direction d wind blows its trunk. But other dan this, big daddy toyota is for d big boys with its elegant look, n its easy to maintain

1 Like

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 08, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

That's one ugly camry.

I'm a camry lover, but the make year has to start from ATLEAST '08.

LOL grin
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by 989900: 10:19am On Jun 08, 2012
I used to own one. Reliable car. Nothing wrong with the car. I guess some are not just in love with the shape or something, which ironically some of us really love.
On the flip side, poor maintenance culture and incompetent auto-mechanics can mess up any car.

1 Like

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 08, 2012
Ozichim:

By default U should know that this is a makeup. It is serious lie. Every Car has special facility that takes care of freeze/cold issue. No car/engine can work well in overseas without such provision. And no Engine/car manufacturer takes this for granted. So it is a big lie.

NB, Toyota "Big Daddy" is not selling well in Nigeria because people have given it bad name, and many people are follow-follow type. This car has lasted since 2002 and now. If it has such problem Toyota would have recalled it since, and the car won’t have lasted more than three years. I think it is only Nigerians that call this Camry model Big for nothing.

But on a serious note,big daddy is far better and cheaper to maintain than Eod especially the 4 plugs model.The only cons with the car is just the size that doesnt commensurate with the interior.From orobo to penicil light and fishlight,the interiors are no different from one another;poorly designed dashboard and gearstick.
One would have expected an aggresive upgrade and improvement of the these models in big daddy but toyota really fuckedup !
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by xreal: 10:56am On Jun 08, 2012
Yes, personally, I like its outer look and dislike the interior.

The interior looks too 'empty'; most especially for a car made 2003/2004.

Too much unecessary and empty space under the Dashboard down the gear.

That's my own reason for the dislike.
And yes 'Big For Nothing' is just right for it.

1 Like

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Chinom(m): 10:56am On Jun 08, 2012
dayokanu: Honda Accord series : HondaAllah, Honda Skirach, Honda bullet, Honda Bulldog, Honda Baby-boy, Honda End of discussion, Honda Discussion continues and the latest Honda evil spirit

Toyota Camry series: Toyota Pure water, Toyota Orobo, toyota pencil light, Toyota fish light, Toyota Big-Daddy, Toyota Muscle/Voltron. Dont know what they call the latest 2012

Hahahaha... stupid names Nigerians give cars.Nigerians drive only 2 brand of cars : Toyota and Honda. Now that pisses me off. I was in Lagos in April, i cannot believe the number of Toyotas i saw on the road. TOYOTA PURE WATER should be the appropraite name. Don't wanna drive one anymore.Will go for a BMW or Mercedes. Too many damn Toyotas and Hondas
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 08, 2012
sgsltd1: let be satisfy on all type of car we have,if not you will continue pursuing till u died,if you need Benz c-class for fee click my signature

Humans are NATURALLY conditioned to be insatiable !
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 08, 2012
Chinom:

Hahahaha... stupid names Nigerians give cars.Nigerians drive only 2 brand of cars : Toyota and Honda. Now that pisses me off. I was in Lagos in April, i cannot believe the number of Toyotas i saw on the road. TOYOTA PURE WATER should be the appropraite name. Don't wanna drive one anymore.Will go for a BMW or Mercedes. Too many damn Toyotas and Hondas

I think japanese cars are the best for Nigeria roads !
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by lilkech(m): 11:05am On Jun 08, 2012
Ozichim:

if you make first hand inquiries about this car from your friends or relatives living in europe and america they will tell you that ' this specific camry model is not being used at all in their countries because of their climate '

i know that cars have their engines equipped to withstand cold temperatures but that of this specific car is not really good at all. Out of 100% cases of their engine freezing up, in 90% the car refused to come alive again even after the engine has thawed completely

i heard this from someone who has shipped many of them to nigeria from overseas after a massive recall from the japanese auto makers (abi u no sabi say 9ja na waste basket of the world nah)
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Lexusgs430: 11:10am On Jun 08, 2012

Model year started from 2002 - 2006

The Later explains further, the Vehicle is Unnecessarily Spacious, the Trunk Can Contain a Large COW.

However, mechanical Wise, It is very SOUND and Cheap to Maintain.

The 4 Cylinder Engine is the same Up till 2011 Toyota Camry,

The 2006 - 2011 Toyota RAV 4 and also the 2001 - 2011 Toyota Highlander SHARES the same 4 CYLINDER Engine with the Camry.

The Engine is arguably the Best YET from Toyota.

Cheers

How many large cows do you know?
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by pek(m): 11:24am On Jun 08, 2012
chiebube: Good morning comrades.

Thank you for your responses so far. Pls does anyone know the cost of the GEARBOX?

Many thanks.

You all are wonderful
depending ön your location and bargaining power, you can get it for 240k first grade. Thats what i got mine last year.
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by VIPICO(m): 11:30am On Jun 08, 2012
Neither here nor there!
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Claracuzio: 11:37am On Jun 08, 2012
Superb ride, been using mine a 2005 model since 2007 and no complains though wanna change the shock absorbers this weekend.
Lovely ride no complains.

2 Likes

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 08, 2012
Chinom:

Bro, fuel economyy is the name of the game. Who wants to spend #6000/day on fuel when the can spend#3000-#3500/day (and spend the remaining #2500 on peppersoup and guiness). Bros abeg na your own make you talk o. It is a fact that during the recent global economic disaaster that sales of Toyota cars went through the roof in the US, because people were economising, and we knoww that only the 'poor' in the US drive Toyota.

3 Likes

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 08, 2012
Claracuzio: Superb ride, been using mine a 2005 model since 2007 and no complains though wanna change the shock absorbers this weekend.
Lovely ride no complains.

By my guess. . . .If the 4 shocks is between 15-20k,then maintenance for this car is cheap. cheesy
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by bravedude(m): 12:03pm On Jun 08, 2012
How reliable is Toyota Avalon 2000 to 2004 model?
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 08, 2012
hmmm! i almost went for big daddy before finally settling for a highlander.

when it comes to cars, for me bigger is always better.

so, there's really no big for nothing car at all.

and big daddy toyota is definitely big for something! grin

3 Likes

Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by tlife(m): 12:56pm On Jun 08, 2012
i changed my 4shocks(new original) for around 30k not too long ago. I also think general maintenance is not too costly. Parts are also readily available.
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by Diligence: 12:58pm On Jun 08, 2012
The design seems to be classless ...
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by mystikal(m): 1:29pm On Jun 08, 2012
Chinom:

Love my 750i!

fresh_dude: Bro, fuel economyy is the name of the game. Who wants to spend #6000/day on fuel when the can spend#3000-#3500/day (and spend the remaining #2500 on peppersoup and guiness). Bros abeg na your own make you talk o. It is a fact that during the recent global economic disaaster that sales of Toyota cars went through the roof in the US, because people were economising, and we knoww that only the 'poor' in the US drive Toyota.

U talk true bro, thats why u need that everyday Toyota.
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by critic(m): 1:41pm On Jun 08, 2012
Ozichim: Bros, the response so far doesn’t sound reasonable, for somebody asking for reason not to buy a car,

Pls, the Toyota car Big Daddy is just ok. Don't mind those talking about shape. Believe me, It must be some half educated Nigerian Mechanics that must have given it the name “Big for nothing” though they may not mint it for evil. The car Engine wise, body shape interior are just ok. It is just that the car (Big Daddy) is a bit intimidating outwardly, so some proud/poor people get so surprise that it is not after all so expensive. I'm a technical person and if you ask me this car is the best Camry car so far. Believe me any serious technical owner can service the Alternator & Kick by himself, because they are easily mounted and dismounted.

You may be surprise that even though the car is very good some people will not buy this car just because some people call it big for nothing.

It you like the car, you must be so reasonable, just go for it. So far I have not seen any defect on the car. Any problem with the car can be managed. If you have done small racing with just four plug model of this car you will understand that the car Engine & suspension wise is very good. The Nigerian Name (Big for nothing is low level man description and is a name deformation). For people looking for good, portable, easy, manageable car, this is their Choice.

The name "Big Daddy" is a better description for the car, It is men’s car and any good Man attracts respect & wonderful good looking men are intimidating & sometimes with fearful countenance.
Re: Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? by nairaman66(m): 1:59pm On Jun 08, 2012
Maybe because it is not really BIG!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Protects His Car Side Glasses In A Hilarious Way {hilarious Pic} / Passenger Bus Falls Into Lagoon Along Ijebu Ode-ore Expressway (photos) / Had A Ghastly Accident (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.