Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,696 members, 7,955,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:28 AM

Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun (8231 Views)

Cameroonian Soldiers Chase Nigerians Out Of Bakassi (Photo) / Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi / Group Protests Ceding Of Bakassi To Cameroon In Abuja (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by mekoyo(m): 2:40pm On Nov 25, 2007
When are we going to stop this Bakassi issue?

Just see the way our past leaders have mislead and mishandled this country, to the extent of selling a part of their land for what i dont know,
bla, bla, bakassi, bakassi, bakassi,

Lets wait and see what Yaradua's administration will do about this.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 25, 2007
willy*2:

It was one Stupid Gowon in conjunction with his Hausa/Fulani brothers signed to give bakassi to the Cameroonian, why? because of their hatred to the EFIKS and also to make sure that BIAFRA can't use the channel to lunch attack and retake their land.
And to tell the Former Eastern Region 'We can mess with you any time we want' One foolish Yorubaman called OBASANJO finally gave away the land of Efik(Bakassi) to the Cameroon, why, because it's not Yorubaland, So!!!!! for them who cares.
Can you see that!!!!!!, Because of this peoples well known conspiracy to destroy the IBO'S, now all of us are Victims of their devil policy, they pretends to love us but in their mind they hate us. Can you see now, how the vision of their hero (Any thing across the Niger are IBO'S) are working, because of Fulani/Hausa North and Yoruba we have lost our Bakassi. This shows that one day they will give away IBIBBIO, ANANG,, Oron, Ogoni, IJaw etc land in the Former Eastern region thinking we are all IBO'S. For them no different between you and IBO man, that means we are not save too.
The only solution before they hand over more of our Land is to join hand, First -chase this Corrupt tribes away from our land, because they are back stabbers and then confront the Cameroonian by(militarily/diplomatically) and retake our dear Bakassi. If we don't wake up now, one day Yoruba/Hausa/Fulani will conspire and hand our land over to Equatorial Guinea immediately the oil dry up.

WHY DON'T U SHUT THE F88CK UP. IF YOU READ THE THREAD VERY WELL YOU WILL NOTE THAT THIS HAS GONE BEYONG THE HAUSA, IGBO,YORUBA SHIT. WE ARE DISCUSSIN THE LEGALITY OF WHAT OBJ DID AND U R OPENING UNNESSARY HISTORY JAGONS. PLS GET A LIFE AND FORGET ABOUT THIS TRIBE STUFF.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by ininathan(m): 8:51pm On Nov 25, 2007
When I was in secondary sch i was giving the mentallity of how the map of my country look like now tell me the sycological event it will create in me by reversing the trend. when it would happen I will run back home to defend that land.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by willy4: 9:49pm On Nov 25, 2007
cool4ny:

WHY DON'T You SHUT THE F88CK UP. IF YOU READ THE THREAD VERY WELL YOU WILL NOTE THAT THIS HAS GONE BEYONG THE HAUSA, IGBO,YORUBA SHIT.  WE ARE DISCUSSIN THE LEGALITY OF WHAT OBJ DID AND You R OPENING UNNESSARY HISTORY JAGONS. PLS GET A LIFE AND FORGET ABOUT THIS TRIBE STUFF.
Mumu,
Yoruba Obasanjo and Hausa/Fulani Northern Gowon willingly gave away our Bakassi to Cameroon because it's not Yoruba or H /Fulaniland, can they do that to their Tribe?=No.
well, i will not blame them. i sounded warning to my people how dangerous this tribes are, but they refused to listen, can you people see now what they had done to us? are your eyes clear now or still blind !!!!?, in daylight our Bakassi is gone, the children of Bakassi are now Refugee, because of this dangerous tribes. Kei!!!! it's a pity.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by debosky(m): 11:39pm On Nov 25, 2007
Another rash of emotional responses.

Has anyone here even bothered to seek out the historical antecedents of the dispute?

Its a matter of splitting the Efik people right? So the Efiks magically end on the tip of Bakassi Peninsula and not one soul is found on the Camerounian side?

This Gowon dashing business has not been backed up by fact, its just silly conjecture brought up to blur the issues

If there was a wrong delineation of the borders that has now been corrected, what is the hold that you have on Bakassi as the 'nation' Nigeria?

fighting war 'not listening to white judges' and other such silly comments are unwarranted. Emotional responses to an issue which deserves deep examination is not going to help anything.

I repeat how much of this right to self determination has been given to other groups? How many Yoruba people in 1960 decided to be part of Nigeria and not Benin or Togo? Or Hausas decide to be in Nigeria or Niger?

If you say the Bakassi people should be allowed to simply move where they want, then fine, Dacosta Street, Lagos wants to be independent now grin grin grin we shall be known as Republic of Da-Costa cheesy

The ownership of the land has not changed, the Bakassi people still own their land, no one has chased them off and placed Camerounians there. The land's national authority has changed, but on the micro level, things remain as they were. The Bakassi people should focus on getting a good deal from the Camerounian government, I wonder what they have benefited from Nigeria all this while. I would rather take my chances with another government if I were them.

Mr babasin is saying fund southern Cameroun to secede. . .of what benefit is that to you? All these delusions of grandeur and ludicrous suggestions all in the name of being a 'power' like the 'WEST' is simply foolishness. Nothing is being 'given' away

Have any of you examined the original maps of the areas named Nigeria and Cameroun? That is how you became 'Nigerians' not because anyone 'dashed' anything out. A longstanding error was corrected, simple and short. Forget about this issue and let us move forward as a nation.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by doyin13(m): 1:01am On Nov 26, 2007
Debo--------is your surname OLEMBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin cheesy grin
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by debosky(m): 2:49am On Nov 26, 2007
doyin13:

Debo--------is your surname OLEMBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin cheesy grin

Doyin you no like me o! Why didn't you say my Surname is Eto'o? At least I'll be getting some of that Barca cheddar tongue grin

All these people dey scream for Bakassi to remain in naija, I wonder what the country ever did for Bakassi. I hope they stay in Cameroun and get a better deal, If they do I will move my hometown in Osun state to become part of Benin Republic grin grin
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by naijaway(m): 4:51am On Nov 26, 2007
We should be more concerned with Sudan and ready for Sudan where our soldiers died than cameroun even though we should be all around prepared.
We should lobby for bakassi to choose either they want to be cameroun, or Nigeria, or their own with Nigerian help inotherwords a mini Nigeria.
We should also lower our rhetoric n not talk about regular oil in bakassi, but focus our yarns on the people and historical facts while we incite democracy on camerounians, pan Africanism, and openness at the same time we shouldn't forget to keep improving militarily.
Cuz we are going to also need cameroun for something bigger in AU things as a whole but we should denouce their government in the name of democracy. It should be made clear that West Africa is free of dictactors and power grabbers.
I say some of this cuz at this point all these old men just want to do something in a haste to show that they don't just eat money and do no public work. They should be realistic, say some planes strike calabar, bakassi, port harcourt, Lagos and abuja what will they do? I bet u that day, airport, border, and embassies go full not only regular civilians but all those senators; dat time Ghana will be very OK for u cuz how will u fight plane na, who train u abi wetin u go use. One of the things they have to do is to solve that issue based on fairness and goodwill while we still have our eyes on sudan. The prospects of full scale yawa with cameroun with their help no go be cake walk, is not like they are not going to get it hot but we are sort of disorganized lacking everything possible; cuz a mumu shit like dat sometimes end up like damn! why? we should show we resist it but also ask cameroun like so what are you going to do without taking it. That way we can rally support in West Africa and some other big African nations. If u notice other African nations like us but they most
times want us to make mistakes and get hurt maybe to teach us lesson, so this time they might not be on our side if we try to bully our way out.

And dat reminds me, this is a test to our military to show they have some logical and communicative capabilities cuz if they can weep citizen like the devil and not have nothing to say, then they must be some heavy mumus. They should be able to come with either a peaceful idea or some form of direction but still with the president's approval.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by naijaking1: 5:40am On Nov 26, 2007
@debosky

You make a very good point about Bakassi, however, my concern is about precedence.

What if a Nigerian president decides to negotiate away another Nigerian enclave tomorrow, it may be Lagos to Benin Republic, Calabar to Cameroon, Maidugri to Chad, and so on, what can we do.

I think the senate should ratify all foreign accords reached by the President(if that's not already the case).
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 9:49am On Nov 26, 2007
Mr babasin is saying fund southern Cameroun to secede. . .of what benefit is that to you?

This will keep the Biya and his frency boys busy while we consolidated and secure Bakassi.

The ownership of the land has not changed, the Bakassi people still own their land, no one has chased them off and placed Camerounians there.

You are joking right?

They will be subject to Camerounia law and rule. The land does not belong to them anymore, they are being relocated to some part of Calabar while cameroun send his own people to occpuy the land. This shows very little you have on this.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by suprman: 1:41pm On Nov 26, 2007
Yewa-man,
i dont blame u for saying bakasi does not belong to nigeria who are u to say that? Perhaps if bakasi was in ogun state u would have still opened ur filthy trash bin to say that. thats wat ur broda obasanjo tot that made him tlk carelessly that any decision by icj on the matter will be accpeted in good fate by nigerians as if he was nigeria. And others in the room who say nigeria accepted the judgment, let me tell u that obasanjo accepted it not nigerians.
on the other hand i still understand why u are panicing over war treat by the issue, u are a yoruba person well known for fears. una no get liver at allllllllll. grin. una too de fear death grin
Look as a real man u better call a spade spade and die honourably rather than living enslaved.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by Babylove2(f): 2:19pm On Nov 26, 2007
grin grin grin
were there no Senate when Baba (OBJ) signed the agreement??

Or were they not educated enough to know that its against the so called 1999 Constitution??
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 2:52pm On Nov 26, 2007
were there no Senate when Baba (OBJ) signed the agreement?

Good but this is what you get when you have dictator as President.

That said, OBJ did not represent Nigeria at the 'Green Tree' agreement.

He was playing to galary thinking the WEST will back his 3rd term like they are backing Musharaf now.

Enough: where is yaradua action on this? when are the 'ground-forces' getting deployed? are we a toothless giant?
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by folem: 4:19pm On Nov 26, 2007
Both Nigeria and Cameroon are Products Of The Berlin Conference that partitioned Africa.

If the same West now claims Bakassi belongs to Cameroon, Any talk about the reject of the transfer is just playing to the gallery  unless you want to fight a war to claim the peninsula.

African Union may decide in its wisdom to have a Bakassi Conference where a new map of Africa may be redrawn subject to a referendum of the people affected by relocation if any.

What makes a Senegalese different from a Gambian?

Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by idupaul: 5:21pm On Nov 26, 2007
Me thinks the senate are doing the right thing but rather late, I said this when the territory was ceded back then I made one remark "Obj has just turned on the proximity fuse for a future crisis bw nigeria and cameroun" . me is now being proven rite.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by klarry79: 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2007
[table]What is wrong with you all. The Ceding of Bakassi to Cameroun was one of the best things OBJ did. At least he showed that Africans can solve problems without barbarism. Now you all want to turn all that around and take the usual route of violence. "something dey worry una O!"

[/table]

Mr. Delex

I think it is you that has a problem angry. Is that how you will open your eyes till they cede your hometown to lord knows who. In the age were nations are consolidating political power and influence through strategic alliances and geo-political expansion, Nigeria as stupid nd visionless as our leaders has often been goes the opposite direction. If bakassi was near US or Britain or Spain, it definitely would be a different story. these are countries that go half way round the world to claim territories that they have no relationship whatsoever with. but Bakasi (with nigerian inhabitants, speaking Nigerian language, with Nigerian culture) was given away to cameroun just like that. and you dare say it was a noble thing. ask the how important mainland asia is to them and ask the chinese why they refuse to give them even a single square foot.
it shows that our leaders are ready to trade us off for whatever price that is on offer. cameroun was ready to die for bakassi because they understand the economic and political influence it would bring them. Our leaders saw them as a small island of peasants that had nothing to offer.
may God deliver us from these evil men who simply have nothing to offer this nation. tomorrow it could be your hometown they would cede to togo or Niger republic.

I wish we never got into his mess.
I think we should move in to Bakassi and take back what is ours. (at least the military will then prove themselves to the country that they are able to defend us)
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by buluti(m): 9:11pm On Nov 26, 2007
So Nigerians really want a war, because we perceive that we can defeat Cameroun.

How easy it is to criticise the United States, but see all of you shouting war, war.

Absolute nonsense, the senate is just playing politics, nothing is going to change or happen.

Its not only ground forces, its space forces. cheesy cheesy
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by klarry79: 9:20pm On Nov 26, 2007
buluti

how true your comments are
i guess they want their share of the deal.
its not that we nigerians like war but we have to defend our territorial integrity no matter how irrellevant or 'unuseful' or insignificant it may seem.

nations and tribes go to war over land and we are doing father christmas with ours.

what else can we get wrong as a nation
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 12:04pm On Nov 27, 2007
Crystal Clear statement. What is this coward Yaradua waiting for

The Senate is constitutionally right. And I support what the senators did because their action is in accordance with the law. First of all, there is the Bakassi Local Government Area as one of the 18 local government areas of Cross River State. And you will see that in the First Schedule Part I of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria. If you also look at Section 3(1) of the Constitution, it states that there shall be 36 states in Nigeria. And Section 3(6) also provides that there shall be 768 local government areas. One of these local government areas is the Bakassi. So, Bakassi Local Government Area is entrenched in the constitution. Therefore, you cannot transfer Bakassi or cede it to any foreign country without amending the constitution. And I challenge anybody to fault that argument.

--->

Absolutely. You cannot do anything on this matter until the 1999 Constitution is amended. Secondly, the people of Bakassi, and there are almost 200,000 of them, are Nigerians. When you transfer their territory to a foreign country, do they retain their nationalities as Nigerians or they become the nationals of the foreign country? In any case, no government has the legal power to transfer its nationals to a foreign government or territory? Those who are attacking the Senate, I want them to answer all these points. And importantly, the President of Nigeria, when he took office, he took oath as President i.e the oath of office. He also took the oath of allegiance. And in these oaths, he swore to protect the integrity of the country. Ceding part of the territory of Nigeria to a foreign country without going through the legal process is not part of obedience to oath of office or part of obedience to oath of allegiance. In my view, nobody can fault the decision of the Senate in this matter. It is legally and constitutionally right. If the President of Nigeria at that time entered into an agreement with his counterpart in Cameroun or with the government of Cameroun, such agreement cannot be effective – to transfer Bakassi to Cameroun – until such agreement is ratified under Section 12(1) of the 1999 Constitution and in accordance with our treaty obligations and the customary international law. These are the principles that apply; whether it is a unitary or federal state

--->
Of course, there are precedents in history. The exchange of Greek and Turkish population in 1925 applies. And these are dealt with copiously in books on international Laws. And that principle applies, not only to federal states but to unitary states. Even if Nigeria wants to implement the ICJ’s judgment, you cannot implement it without obeying the provisions of our constitution. Any such implementation is ultra vires, null and void. Our constitution has to be amended in conformity with its provisions. Before you can alter the constitution or in order to implement any obligation of the ICJ or other international laws, no head of state has the power to flout the constitution and his oath of office under the guise of carrying out international obligations or implementing a judgment of the ICJ. The internal law and the constitution are very important and sacred. Any other approach is chaos and anarchy

--->
Our 1999 Constitution is not in conflict with ICJ’s judgment. You have to amend the constitution in order to implement that judgment. The 1999 Constitution was there before the ICJ’s judgment was delivered in 2002. So, how can something in existence before the judgment be in conflict with something that came into effect or alive after the constitution? You see, it is not as if the judgment was there before the constitution was made. The constitution was there before the judgment was delivered. So, anybody who says that the constitution is in conflict with the ICJ’s judgment is talking nonsense.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007112712114651
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by jankaraman(m): 3:13am On Nov 28, 2007
Make una no worry about Bakassi o! Na arrangee with Cameroun. Very soon Cameroun go sell Bakassi to Transcorp , "OBJs" mega company and Bakassi will be back in the hands of "Nigeria" and dem go build a working refinery there weh go de provide petrol for the two countries.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 10:41am On Nov 29, 2007
when are throwing this crazy, foolish OBJ back to prison for good this time

Obasanjo said the last Senate and House of Representatives under the leadership of Senator Ken Nnamani and Hon. Aminu Bello Masari were duly served the Green Tree Agreement between Nigeria and Cameroon on the ceding of Bakassi for ratification by the National Assembly.
He was however silent on whether or not the agreement was ratified by the National Assembly.

He cant even understand the basic difference between 'informing' and getting 'written' approval. what a charlatant!

Bakassi people are now speaking up:
The Bakasi leaders further noted "while thanking the generality of Nigerians for their maturity and understanding displayed this far, we wish to state that the struggle for a sovereign Bakasi land is our collective dream and relentless struggle."

Among those who signed the release are Senator Florence Ita-Giwa, Chief Patrick-Ene, Mr. Gabriel Etim, Mr. Joseph Etene, Bassey Ita Edet and Chief Emmanuel Etene among others.

What the f**k this yaradua waiting for?

where are the ground forces or his he going to call the british??

This yaradua is a weakling, the more he waits, the better french and Cameroun are better prepared.

example: you see how turkey started moving it forces towards iraqi; quickly everyone was listening to them.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by youngies(m): 7:25pm On Nov 29, 2007
OBJ was actually aiming to be nominated a nobel prize winner for "peace". What an overfed frog!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by nacom(f): 10:52pm On Nov 29, 2007
A lot of stupid and senseless posts from the agitators of war all in the name of supporting the quite dumb senators whom seem to have woken up from slumber when they actually gave the nod to OBJ when he ceded Bakassi to Cameroun.

Please let the Senators face more realistic issues,never in a 1000 years can then revert the ruling passed by the International Court of Justice,Hague.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by Nobody: 12:09am On Nov 30, 2007
na.com:

Please let the Senators face more realistic issues,never in a 1000 years can then revert the ruling passed by the International Court of Justice,Hague.

lol the same "court" whose rulings are none binding on the US and the very Europeans who set it up?
African mentality na wa.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by babasin(m): 8:40am On Nov 30, 2007
lol the same "court" whose rulings are none binding on the US and the very Europeans who set it up?
African mentality na wa.

exactly.

Africans still subject themselves to 'slavery'  isreal never obey any of ICJ rules. And our Senate is above ICJ, its time we show this to the world.

The world we treat us, the way we want to be treated; slave or independent  people.

Hear Ajibola speaking:
According to Ajibola, as a member of the United Nations, Nigeria has no choice but to abide by the decision of the ICJ not minding whether it was able to put its house in order by ensuring that the appropriate legislative agency ratify such a decision
shocking!
and Akinjide:
"where an agreement is subject to ratification under the Nigerian Constitution, such as in the Nigeria/Cameroon Bakassi controversy, the signature, that of President Obasanjo, does not, in international law, establish consent by the Nigeria state to be bound.

The signature of President Obasanjo only qualifies the signatory state to proceed to the ratification of the document if it wants. But the signature does not create an obligation to ratify.

"Ratification involves two distinct procedural acts: the first is the act of the appropriate organ of the state, that is, the Senate in the case of Nigeria.

This is ratification in the constitutional sense under Section 12 of our Constitution or the Crown in the case of the United Kingdom or of the Senate in he United States of America.

so we know ajibola is doing obj work; trying to save face. what a country!
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by folem: 11:16am On Nov 30, 2007
Nigeria's border demarcation is an ongoing process and many Villages will be won and lost in the North and South during this process.

All the war mongers should better find something else to do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5082380.stm

Nigerians told to accept transfer

Nigeria's president has gone on national television and radio to reassure residents of an oil-rich peninsula being handed to Cameroon.
President Olusegun Obasanjo told residents of the Bakassi peninsula their safety would be guaranteed even when Nigerian troops leave this year.

Mr Obasanjo agreed on Monday to implement a 2002 World Court ruling after talks at the United Nations.

A BBC correspondent said people in the area feel betrayed by the deal.

The territorial dispute sparked military clashes between Nigeria and Cameroon during the 1990s.

Most of those who live in Bakassi are Nigerians and are strongly opposed to coming under Cameroonian jurisdiction.

Respect

"We have ensured that Nigerians living now on the peninsula have a choice either to relocate or to remain in Bakassi," Mr Obasanjo said.

"Whichever choice they make, we have taken adequate measures for their protection, security, welfare and well-being. That was our concern and that we have achieved."

He also said that Cameroon had agreed to respect their culture, language, beliefs, property and fishing rights and not to impose "discriminatory" taxes.

Nigerian troops are to leave Bakassi within 60 days, with a possibility of extending this by a further 30 days, following the deal between Mr Obasanjo and Cameroon's President Paul Biya, brokered by UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

A special transitional arrangement will be in place for five years, Mr Obasanjo said.

Following the deal, Mr Obasanjo said solving the dispute peacefully was far cheaper than war and said it could serve as a model for other African disputes.

Bakassi juts into the Gulf of Guinea - an area which may contain up to 10% of the world's oil and gas reserves.

It is also rich in fish.

Nigeria has always said it would abide by the 2002 ruling but in 2004 said that "technical difficulties" prevented it from handing over the peninsula.

The 2002 International Court of Justice ruling was based on a 1913 treaty between former colonial powers Britain and Germany.

The agreement also settles the border for 1,690km (1,056 miles) up to Lake Chad.

Some villages further north have already been exchanged

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900sid/SNAO-63WSBH?OpenDocument

NIGERIA

The situation is beginning to calm down although minor altercations between religious and ethnic groups continue to occur sporadically. Humanitarian assistance is now being provided. However, in anticipation of a re-emergence of inter-ethnic and inter-religious attacks the Nigerian authorities need to address the underlying causes of the conflict that bear the risk of compromising law and order in the country.

Nigeria and Cameroon have exchanged 3 border villages following the verdict of the International Court of Justice concerning the border question between the two countries. The villages of Bourha-Wango and Ndabakura were returned back to Nigeria while the authority over Narki has been transferred from Nigeria to Cameroon.

Nigeria and Benin have made progress in the redefinition of their shared border covering a stretch of 870km. The negotiations are led by a joint commission (Nigeria-Benin) and could result in the transfer of 7 Nigerian villages to Benin and to the transfer of 2 villages to Nigeria that are currently under the authority of Benin. The implementation of these transfers will depend on the adoption of a resolution on a ministerial level. Experts are currently in the process of examining the status of three other villages that are situated along the border. The maritime borders between the two countries are regulated through the UN convention on maritime law, which locates this border at equal distance from the coasts of both countries.

http://www.afrol.com/articles/13474

Benin, Nigeria to demarcate border

The Beninese-Nigerian border was last demarcated in 1912 and since that, beacons have disappeared and settlements have expanded, crossing the border. A maritime border has never been agreed upon. Now, the neighbours are to "urgently" resolve the problem.

The Beninese Ambassador to Nigeria, Benoit Adekambi, at a meeting with Nigeria's Director General of the National Boundary Commission, Alhaji Dahiru Bobbo, has made "a passionate plea" for a speedy demarcation of the land and maritime boundary. His Nigerian counterpart promised the Ambassador his "commitment to urgently demarcate" the border.

Benin and Nigeria want to avoid the hardships of an international court process to reach a border agreement. Nigeria only recently lost out in a highly emotional court case against Cameroon. Benin, on the other hand, is currently negotiating its border with Niger in the The Hague-based International Court.

The exact location of the 770 kilometre Beninese-Nigerian boundary, however, is not less controversial than the two other examples. It is already clear that several villages will shift nationality when the border is demarcated. Also a future maritime border can be drawn upon various models with far reaching consequences if resources such as oil are found.

The Nigeria-Benin Republic boundary has only been demarcated once before. This was done with very few beacons by colonial masters in 1912 and most of the aged beacons have by now disappeared, according to the federal government of Nigeria.

This, said Nigeria's National Boundary Commission (NBC) leader Bobbo, necessitated "the need to rediscover and re-beacon fully this boundary." His commission together with the Beninese border commission, Mr Bobbo added, were using an inherited 1912 and 1914 protocol treaty on it between France and Britain for the exercise.

In revealing other grey areas, Alhaji Bobbo said, "after we have recovered the boundary, we discovered certain border settlements in a country through their growth, extended into it's neighbour's territory and are now called stranded settlement."

Other problems mentioned by the Nigerian expert were with the new and agreed joint boundary description of Nigeria and Benin. This included that some towns and villages became "transferred into having new sovereignty." Example of some were Bukuro, Organwe towns presently administered by Nigeria's Kwara State now falls under Benin, while also Muranukuru town in Benin is transferred into Nigeria's sovereignty.

On areas of Nigeria-Benin maritime boundary demarcation, Mr Bobbo stated that no single colonial document was inherited to delimitate this vital boundary. Marine borders were not a common issue at the time of decolonisation. The two neighbours would have to resort to international standards for reaching a logical border.

This exercise, Mr Bobbo added, was "enjoying commendable progress through the use of the 1958 and its revised 1982 United Nations Maritime Conventions in negotiating the maritime boundary."

The maritime border may become decisive for the management of fisheries resources and for possible future oil or gas explorations. Currently, however, there are no known resources except fisheries in the non-settled marine border area.

Beninese Ambassador Adekambi has been pushing the Nigerian government into action over the long boundary to avoid a lengthy international court process. At the meeting with Mr Bobbo, he was assured of Nigeria's "earnest desire to demarcate this boundary," according to a Nigerian government release.

Alhaji Bobbo informed his Beninese colleague that his commission would from 20-22 July hold two meetings of joint technical committee and joint inter-ministerial committee for the resolution of "outstanding grey areas" affecting the final re-demarcation of the boundary. If the proposed July 2004 meeting does not resolve the boundary problems, "political solutions would be sought," he said.

Commenting upon his experience regarding solutions to this boundary, the NBC boss said, "discussions and various Joint technical and field meetings held at finding lasting solutions to this boundary has remained very cordial and fruitful."

In his response, Ambassador Adekanbi commended the peaceful initiatives of Nigerian government at resolving the Nigeria-Benin boundary problem. The diplomat added that this development is "predicated upon the spirit of good bilateral relationship enjoined by both countries."

related: http://www.afrol.com/articles/13628

Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by denex: 11:28am On Nov 30, 2007
Some people are trying to use big, big words like Ramification and Ratification to beat the drums of war. May God punish them all. Our president is our representative and whatever he says or does while holding that office is seen as an action by us all.

Why will people call on us to disobey an ICJ ruling simply because some rogue states have decided to use war as their only means of international diplomacy?

Nigeria would have not gone to the ICJ if we did not intend to obey the ruling. Would we have called for the ruling to be disobeyed if it was in our favour?

WE WILL NOT EIGHT A WAR THAT WAS SCRIPTED IN EUROPE HALF A DECADE AGO!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by McKren(m): 11:28am On Nov 30, 2007
Some Nigerian Newspapers dont seem to know the difference between Prince Bola Ajibola and FG.

Sorry out of curiousity does Bola hold an office in the FG that am not aware of?
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by McKren(m): 11:35am On Nov 30, 2007
Denex

God knows the rougue states who disobeyed ICJ ruling you are talking of, USA? Spain?

The judge who precided over Nigeria/Cameroon case was French. Need I remind you the French Government's position on this whole issue

It is curious that an ICJ ruling which was not binding on Nigeria is one of the few Judgements OBJ's Government implemented hastily.

You know why we lost Bakassi?? Our priority was to avert war not to posses what is ours while the Cameroonians where busy threatening war. You don't go to a negotiation table with cold feet.
If war breaks out between Nigeria and Cameroon tomorrow, we will not feel the consequences alone so I don't understand why it should be up to us to avert war by giving up what is ours.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by folem: 12:01pm On Nov 30, 2007
McKren:

Denex

God knows the rougue states who disobeyed ICJ ruling you are talking of, USA? Spain?

The judge who precided over Nigeria/Cameroon case was French. Need I remind you the French Government's position on this whole issue

It is curious that an ICJ ruling which was not binding on Nigeria is one of the few Judgements OBJ's Government implemented hastily.

You know why we lost Bakassi?? Our priority was to avert war not to posses what is ours while the Cameroonians where busy threatening war. You don't go to a negotiation table with cold feet.
If war breaks out between Nigeria and Cameroon tomorrow, we will not feel the consequences alone so I don't understand why it should be up to us to avert war by giving up what is ours.

Do you sincerely believe that Bakassi belongs to Nigeria (rather than being inhabited by people who now refers to themselves as Nigerians who could have been Biafrans for example) based on the maps Of Nigeria and Cameroon drawn by the European Powers (Colonizers) and from the Picture shown above?
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by McKren(m): 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2007
folem:

Do you sincerely believe that Bakassi belongs to Nigeria (rather than being inhabited by people who now refers to themselves as Nigerians who could have been Biafrans for example) based on the maps Of Nigeria and Cameroon drawn by the European Powers (Colonizers) and from the Picture shown above?

Dont start a debate you can not win

There are defects in that map as Akinjide stated, it did not take into cognisance the wish of Obong of Calabar or the then Calabar people in general, just the like the present ICJ ruling did not take into cognisance the wish of the Present day Bakassi people.

No one else know the Nationality of the Bakassi people than the Bakassi people themselves.

And any attempt to present defective maps drawn during the colonial era is simply celebrating the colonial and slave trade era.

Arround the world the West are appologising for what their forefathers did, if we are upholding the wish of our colonial masters against the wish of the inhabitants of Bakassi (in terms of defining the Nationality of Bakassi) then we simply have no right to grief of our history.

Prince Bola Ajibola should kindly allow the Bakassi people decide their own Nationality, I guess if he was from Bakassi himself he will not hold the same position.
Re: Senate Rejects Transfer Of Bakassi To Cameroun by folem: 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2007
Bakassi people have a right to determine thier Nationality. The ICJ judgement only confirms that the land on which they live on is within the jurisdiction of Cameroon. They may decide to continue living there as immigrants or relocate to another land within Nigeria's jurisdiction.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu's Wife Is A Pastor In The Church And A Muslim At Home - Pics / Resident Doctors Suspend Proposed Strike / IG Of Police, Idris Visits Ambode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.