Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,172 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan (18142 Views)

Arms Deal Probe: I Acted In Nigeria’s Interest – Okonjo- Iweala / Saraki: Jonathan Did Not Give Me Any Bribe Over Missing $20bn / Ubah To Buhari: Remove Fuel Subsidy, Probe Those Behind Shutdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Myself2(m): 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2012
Beaf:

It takes a low self-esteemed fool to pretend to be another person. But then you are a fool, so not much is expected.
Why pretend to ne me? Your d.i.c.k too small or what?

True that
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by poj(m): 1:37pm On Jun 11, 2012
D issue is getting more complicated, i thnk we shud be careful in taking sides hoping there would be thorough investigation to expose all dt is hidden. But mr beaf y r u always hurling insult @ evrybody dt doesnt tow ur line of reasoning. Pls always act maturely.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by lateef4me(m): 2:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
Farouk Lawan fall my hand big time ! How could he played into their hands like that ? Did he forget what happened to Hembe ?
Now,nobody will care what will become of their probe again .
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Chubhie: 2:47pm On Jun 11, 2012
Soon another issue of national interest will happen and the case gets buried like others before it. What is the average nigerian benefiting from the govt? Nothing! I understand that the issues of how corruption has crippled the nation needs a man whose balls r made of steel to sanitize and clean things up before goodluck can follow.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Effwazobia: 4:02pm On Jun 11, 2012
Beaf!:
^^
mINI ME

This job must be soooo hard for you. You are so confused and r3tarded like your master GEJ

- EFCC said they have nothing on their table about bribery allegation
- It is very obvious there is no any video

Go back and finish the 'usual service' on oga to calm your brain down.

Dude, I understand that it ain't really my business, but I gotto ask you again. Why are you using Beaf's handle, are you that facinated with the dude? That is some fake as5 sh-t (change the freaking handle), cut that 5hit out and be yourself. With this your handle, you can have me making reference to something you posted, thinking that I am referring to BEAF. Now let the debate continue
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 11, 2012
Jarus: Confirmed from a very reliable source. The Faruk Lawan subsidy scandal is unfortunately true. Fell for set-up by EFCC, SSS etc. Deleted many names from the subsidy indictment list. Now, I have no doubt again that the only politician with 100% integrity is a dead one.

Jarus you are correct. Lawan indeeed soiled his hands. I have been able to confirm from a reliable source as well.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Effwazobia: 6:21pm On Jun 11, 2012
bayooooooo:

Jarus you are correct. Lawan indeeed soiled his hands. I have been able to confirm from a reliable source as well.

Now that is so unfortunate. I had high hopes on the guy. With all the ranting and shrewdness during the congressoinal hearing, I just thought that we had somebody totally different from the business as usual 9ja politician. He just seemed like he wasn't gonna get intimidated by the cabals. I just thought that he was a standup, straightforward politician who had the interest of 9grians at heart. The guy fall our hands big time. I still have hopes that he didn't do it. I will now like to know what will happen to the folks on the list. Let's say he gets convicted, what gets to happen to the list?
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by oiseworld: 6:30pm On Jun 11, 2012
bayooooooo:

ooohhh ! Now u agree beaf was right all along. Farouk lawal should have seen it coming.but he was too focused on the bribe he would collect, now fowl yansh don commot.
All his investigation is shit at the moment, how could he had forgotten Rilwan Lukman in the whole investigations. They wanted to expose others and coverup their own, just because he's a northerner. Wasn't Lukman the head of the petroleum sector then, but he wax left out in thewhole probe. And dezianni mentioned like c200times that she met things that way. Now he don happen.
I hope at the end of the day the Efcc must have shaken every 'born to rule' left in him.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by jamace(m): 7:09pm On Jun 11, 2012
And the wuru-wuru and mago-mago continues.
Nigeria we hail thee. sad
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by brabus(m): 7:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
@FL collected the bribe!

As for the video evidence, I think its best if Otedola keep it to further support his claims. Before Otedola would make such a claim, I think there are more than video evidence. Imagine been caught with serialized dollar. By now, FL should be thinking of where to spend his jail term.

FL said there were pressure from marketers to doctor the report, why can't he name them as at that time? I doubt there was any pressure on the committee, instead they were negotiating.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by brabus(m): 7:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
Let's agree FL's image was doctored in the video evidence (which I assume he watched). What about his voice? Was it nursed?

And his presence at Otedola's house? Was it staged? Abi Otedola's lagos residence is his constituency office?

Abeg, smallie with chicken brain ~ stop lying!
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by onthefence: 9:57pm On Jun 11, 2012
How long does it take to file a matter in court for Christ sakes. It is this kind of delay that makes people doubt government sincerity.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by pyx: 2:17am On Jun 12, 2012
many fools will comments and send cabals to jail with the tips of their fingers. How many of such probe has led to jail if not for a loud noise and later to die down. Forget it Nogeria is like a home Video where you watch different types of films produced in Alaba just to raise your emotion and give some foolish Newspaper Proprietors' money. The people in Government like to keep us busy will all these stuffs.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Demdem(m): 7:46am On Jun 12, 2012
pyx: many fools will comments and send cabals to jail with the tips of their fingers. How many of such probe has led to jail if not for a loud noise and later to die down. Forget it Nogeria is like a home Video where you watch different types of films produced in Alaba just to raise your emotion and give some foolish Newspaper Proprietors' money. The people in Government like to keep us busy will all these stuffs.

u have a good point and before we know it the "Cabals" will be the main beneficiary. Those criminals that made us pay more than 900% above the budgetary allocation for subsidy will never be brought to book.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 12, 2012
Demdem:

u have a good point and before we know it the "Cabals" will be the main beneficiary. Those criminals that made us pay more than 900% above the budgetary allocation for subsidy will never be brought to book.

Goes to show how powerful the cabal is, and how inconsequential the voice of Nigerians has become in the scheme of things.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Umunede(m): 8:14am On Jun 12, 2012
Only God know how many names were omitted from the subsidy report because of they settled? Farouk Lawan messed up woefully.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Demdem(m): 8:57am On Jun 12, 2012
Umunede: Only God know how many names were omitted from the subsidy report because of they settled? Farouk Lawan messed up woefully.

Exactly, some were omitted while some may have been put in there wrongfully. What stops the security agents from fine-tuning this report, investigate further and bring to justice those who truly and indeed are guilty. During the adoption of this report by the house, this was called for. That Nigerians were defrauded by a privilege few is a fact that cant be disputed.
Who knows, after thorough investigation the 2 Trillion naira fraud will jump to 4 Trillion. i'm more interested in that than a 100Million naira bribery allegation (though this is also important)the FG is much more interested in. below is an extract of my post from another thread.

[b]here are the undisputed facts:

1) Budgetary allocation (law of the land) for subsidy for the year 2011 was exceeded by over 900% with the express permission of the retardeen, my president thereby committing an impeachable offence.

2) Many of the beneficiaries of this subsidy fraud are financiers of the killer party, the PDP and the bulk of that money was used for the elections.

3)This administration is not in anyway interested in bringing to book those who has committed this crime against Nigerians because they know they themselves will be indicted.

4) The house of rep decided to investigate against the wish of the executives. have u ever wondered why the senate despite starting their own probe since Oct 2011 has still not submitted their own report till date?

5) During the presentation of the report to the house, Farouk claimed that his committee has done a good job but may not be perfect and asked the security agents to further investigate and bring culprits to book. the question is has the executive done anything about this?

6) The executives are more interested in bringing to public domain a bribery allegation of approx 100 Milion naira (which of cos is ok because Farouk may be guilty) than a confirmed trillions of naira monumental fraud perpetrated by their cronies.

7) This bribery allegation will probably go to court and months/years after, the case will be thrown out of court for lack of evidence therby literally killing this report with the main beneficiaries to be the "cabal".[/b]
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Demdem(m): 9:06am On Jun 12, 2012
Another view from a NL:

bayooooooo: A Synopsis of Events:

1. The subsidy funds were fraudulently used to finance 2011 election. [Just check figures for 2010 and 2011, the obvious illogical increase explains everything).

2.The government of GEJ knows that the opposition is aware of above fact.

3.Looking at the somewhat cordial relationship between Tambuwal and opposition, GEJ concluded that opposition was behind the probe and would use the report to instigate mass protests and discredit his government.

4.GEJ commissioned SSS to explore the political angle by monitoring call logs of Ad Hoc committee members.

5.To GEJ's greatest amazement, no opposition element was involved. Nevertheless, the probe must be discredited.

6.That necessitated the set up for Lawan and he greedily fell for it. GEJ was exploring options of Tambuwal complicity to look for ways to remove him and put his SW stooge there. They were shocked that Tambuwal was not even aware until OBJ showed him the details.

7.The sole aim of discrediting the report has been achieved. All that's needed to trash this report is a suit to challenge its credibility.

8.GEJ is not interested in punishing Lawan, Lawan is still in possession of putrid details that can bring any government down.

9.There will be accusations and recriminations, FL will be charged to court but nothing substantial will come out of it.

10. Bottom line, GEJ is running the most corrupt government in the history of Nigeria.

Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by LANRYUS(m): 9:35am On Jun 12, 2012
Whether Farouk collect bribe or not, the culprit of the subsidy thief should be prosecuted as alleged. Then EFCC should investigate Farouk. Shikena.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by monex(m): 9:44am On Jun 12, 2012
Jarus: Confirmed from a very reliable source. The Faruk Lawan subsidy scandal is unfortunately true. Fell for set-up by EFCC, SSS etc. Deleted many names from the subsidy indictment list. Now, I have no doubt again that the only politician with 100% integrity is a dead one.

bro. if even U believes lawan to be guilty then i believe it is true then. i trust ur objectivity and sources (data gathering)

though i still maintain that if those indicted on Farouk's report are guilty, let us first fry them while they are still investigating Farouk. corruption too much for naija. no time to wait
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Demdem(m): 9:54am On Jun 12, 2012
[b]Farouk Lawan released a statement on Sunday through which he denied accepting any bribe money from Femi Otedola to influence the subsidy report. The Chairman of the subsidy probe committee never denied taking $ 500,000 from oil baron Femi Otedola, he did however deny the existence of a videotape, largely because he never suspected its existence.

The Femi Otedola story of “involving the SSS and Lawan initiating the bribe attempt” appear to be part of an intricately woven plot to discredit the House of Representatives report on Fuel subsidy. The presidency is in a predicament over implementing the report as it calls for the punishment of some of his senior aides and campaign contributors, including Femi Otedola, Diezani Madueke (Minister of Petroleum Resources) and Stella Odua (Minister of Aviation).

Farouk Lawan reportedly informed the Chairman of the House Committee on Drugs/Narcotics and Financial Crimes, Adams Jagaban, about the bribe attempt, surrendering the $ 500,000 cash which consisted of ten bundles of mint $ 50,000, attached to a memo.

The memo from Lawan to Jagaban partly reads, “You may please recall that I intimated you of the persistence of Mr. Femi Otedola, Chairman Forte Oil, Zenon Oil and AP Petroleum to offer monetary inducement to influence the outcome and Consolidation of the report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Petroleum Subsidy.

“Attached (to the letter) is the sum of five hundred thousand dollars only offered to me with another promise of two million, five hundred thousand dollars.

I had considered bringing this issue as a matter of privilege on the floor of the House later today when the House sits, but I am concerned the controversy it will generate will dwarf the content of the report which needs public attention so that the necessary reforms in the sector could be effected.

“I however believe that given the desperation of Mr. Otedola, handling this matter in a furious but diplomatic manner is necessary as he has also made some vested threats which put me and members of my Committee in a delicate situation.

“While reporting this matter to you and hoping that appropriate action will be taken, we shall continue to monitor him and if further offers are made, we shall duly handover to your committee.”

The Acting Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar was also informed by the House of the bribery attempt by Femi Otedola, a member of the President’s economic management team.

Based on the letter written to the IG on the bribery attempt, the police ordered a discreet investigation into the matter.

Farouk Lawan informed the law enforcement bodies over two (2) months ago about the bribery attempts, indicating his innocence of collecting the money maliciously.

It is however telling that although the Chairman of Forte Oil claimed to have involved the SSS early enough for them to conduct a sting operation, that there is no evidence of Lawan initiating the bribe proceedings.

According to sources, Femi Otedola called Lawan’s phone over 50 times the night he was given the money.

Secretary to the Ad Hoc Committee, Mr. B. C. Emenalo, also disclosed through a memo to Lawan another bribery attempt by Femi Otedola.

The memo, entitled “Consistent Pressure to Compromise by Managing Director and Chairman, Zenon Oil and Gas, AP and Forte”. It reads: “My earlier report/discussion with you on the above subject matter and your directives refer.

“I wish to inform you that I was on his invitation, at the residence of their(Zenon Oil and Gas, AP, Forte) Chairman, Mr. Femi Otedola in Maitama, (Aso Drive) this morning and he offered me the sum of One hundred thousand US dollars in two bundles of $50,000 each. The money is hereby forwarded as evidence.

“Please find attached the exhibit for onward transmission to the relevant Committee and Leadership.”
[/b]

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/06/12/lawan-never-took-any-bribe-from-otedola-informed-ig-of-police-promptly-of-bribery-attempt/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=lawan-never-took-any-bribe-from-otedola-informed-ig-of-police-promptly-of-bribery-attempt
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by rolchi(m): 11:41am On Jun 12, 2012
^^^
So, where is the money now? Is it with the Police Acting IG, or the House Chairman on the EFCC or with Farouk Lawan himself?
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Demdem(m): 11:45am On Jun 12, 2012
rolchi: ^^^
So, where is the money now? Is it with the Police Acting IG, or the House Chairman on the EFCC or with Farouk Lawan himself?

based on the above report i made this deductons:

Farouk Lawan reportedly informed the Chairman of the House Committee on Drugs/Narcotics and Financial Crimes, Adams Jagaban, about the bribe attempt, surrendering the $ 500,000 cash which consisted of ten bundles of mint $ 50,000, attached to a memo.
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by nsiadi: 12:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
Nobody expects Farouk Lawan to just own up
Even Hembe made a spirited effort on the house floor to prove his innocence
We all know what followed
Farouk Lawan should tell us which version of video footage he is referring to
Grape vine has it that his friends, who are looking for soft landing, have doctored the original video
If he is so sure of what he is talking of he should have released the video he referred to
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by onthefence: 1:05pm On Jun 12, 2012
nsiadi: Nobody expects Farouk Lawan to just own up
Even Hembe made a spirited effort on the house floor to prove his innocence
We all know what followed
Farouk Lawan should tell us which version of video footage he is referring to
Grape vine has it that his friends, who are looking for soft landing, have doctored the original video
If he is so sure of what he is talking of he should have released the video he referred to

Is Farouk the maker of the video? Is it in his possession. Is the authentic video not with the SSS?
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by nsiadi: 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
onthefence:

Is Farouk the maker of the video? Is it in his possession. Is the authentic video not with the SSS?

If Farouk Lawan is not dumb he should have owned up or put a better defense
The caricature thing looks watery. He needs serious image laundering.
He didnt even talk of taking legal action!!!!
See what I mean? He looks guilty as charged
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
nsiadi:

If Farouk Lawan is not dumb he should have owned up or put a better defense
The caricature thing looks watery. He needs serious image laundering.
He didnt even talk of taking legal action!!!!
See what I mean? He looks guilty as charged

Please help me understand how it is in his best interest to own up to a crime he does not think he committed.
If as claimed, he did make it known to the relevant authorities that he was about to "accept" a bribe, what exactly should he now own up to?

Given the befuddlement evident in some of the questions being asked here, I think few commentators appreciate FL's famed command of the English language and much less his his deliberate use of the word "caricature"

As I see it, he appears to have his bases covered adequately, so the only real tragedy is likely to be a report left to gather dust.

I reported Otedola’s bribe to Police and EFCC in April – Farouk Lawan

The Chairman of the House of Representatives ad hoc committee which probed the management of the Fuel subsidy scheme, Farouk Lawan on Monday said that he reported the $3 million bribe to the Police and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) law enforcement agents as far back as April 24.

Documents released by National Assembly sources to the media, revealed that Mr Lawan allegedly informed the House Committee on Financial Crimes in a letter dated April 24, 2012, of pressures to offer him bribe to influence the outcome of the investigation into the fuel subsidy scheme.

In a letter to the leadership of the House, Mr Lawan also said his “life has been under constant threat since the fuel probe begun.”
Channels TV Website
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by nsiadi: 10:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
eGuerrilla:

Please help me understand how it is in his best interest to own up to a crime he does not think he committed.
If as claimed, he did make it known to the relevant authorities that he was about to "accept" a bribe, what exactly should he now own up to?

Given the befuddlement evident in some of the questions being asked here, I think few commentators appreciate FL's famed command of the English language and much less his his deliberate use of the word "caricature"

As I see it, he appears to have his bases covered adequately, so the only real tragedy is likely to be a report left to gather dust.

Channels TV Website

You will be singing a different tune if digest response from Otedola
Doesnt Farouk Lawan recognise the power of the press?
Remember the house will try to protect their own
But even @ that an alert mind can always differentiate bw facts & AFTER THOUGHTS
Keep watching the drama---when their theatrical trick fails you will see how the house will dump Farouk Lawan
No sane person will like to go down with him. ( Do you remember their reason for dis allowing display of the loot in the house?)
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by jmaine: 10:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
[size=14pt]Team[b] Farouge[/b] Lawal trying so hard to dispel the obvious . . . . Farouge messed up big time and right now is being held by the balls grin . . .No matter how hard he swirls . . .The firm hands are still squeezing him harder cheesy [/size]
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by jmaine: 10:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
Edited ( Double Post)
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by jmaine: 10:39pm On Jun 12, 2012
Edited ( Double Post)
Re: Subsidy Probe: I didn't Collect Any Bribe - Farouk Lawan by Nobody: 6:16am On Jun 13, 2012
nsiadi:

You will be singing a different tune if digest response from Otedola
Doesnt Farouk Lawan recognise the power of the press?
Remember the house will try to protect their own
But even @ that an alert mind can always differentiate bw facts & AFTER THOUGHTS
Keep watching the drama---when their theatrical trick fails you will see how the house will dump Farouk Lawan
No sane person will like to go down with him. ( Do you remember their reason for dis allowing display of the loot in the house?)

LoL
Of course I understand the power of the press, but my view remains that both crooked Otedola and bent Farouk will eventually walk away from this one, with Nigerians left holding an empty coookie jar as a consequence.
Otedola is undoubtedly the arrow-head of a state sponsored effort to squash the subsidy report, and it, sadly, now appears that objective would be realised.

As the police await Lawan’s response, some of his friends and close associates have assembled a five-man legal team to defend the lawmaker.
Members of the legal team include two Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN) with high reputation.

An associate, who spoke in confidence, said: “We are set for a major legal battle ahead because the police are after the retrieval of the bribe sum to enable them arraign Lawan in court.

“We are suspecting a premeditated plot to rope Lawan in because Otedola admitted that he was part of a sting operation of the State Security Service(SSS). By implication, he has said that he is a state agent.
“That is why it will be more convenient for us to meet in court to tender the money exhibit than to give it to the police or any security agency.
“If it was a sting operation, the onus lies on those behind it to provide evidence and not Lawan. When we meet in court, the world will hear what they never heard.
“Lawan’s legal team is already on standby for his defence.”

When pressed further, the associate said: “The police cannot claim ignorance of the fact that after the receipt of the June 4 letter, Lawan and some highly-placed members of the House were at the Force Headquarters on June 6.

Already, curious members of the House have cut short their one-week recess to return to Abuja watch the video tape or listen to the audio tape of the alleged bribe saga in Abuja.

An excited member of the House, who listened to the audio tape, said: “I have heard what transpired; it is just unfortunate, I am sad. But as you people are doing your job, we will keep on enjoying the drama until we resume.”

Another House member said: “I have watched the video. It looked more real than a make-up. But when we come back, we will hear from Lawan before we crucify him. “
A member of the Ad Hoc Committee said: “Just let the world know that it was a one-man show. Members of the committee had nothing to do with it.”
Source

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Unveils 2021 Greater Lagos Fiesta, Tasks Lagosians On Suport / Abba Kyari: Court Extends Detention Order On Detained DCP By 14 Days / Ireti Kingibe: MKO Abiola Abandoned My Husband - Kingibe’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.