Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers (21784 Views)

Ubah To Buhari: Remove Fuel Subsidy, Probe Those Behind Shutdown / Fuel Subsidy Probe Report : House Of Reps Debate - Live / Okonjo-iweala Testifies Before Subsidy Probe Committee - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by onthefence: 8:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
omanzo02:

Posting the video on a public dormain will make the case in court useless, defence lawyers can easily disqualify the video and get their client off the hook, If there is a video, it will be played in court to the judges, lawyers and those present in court on that day.

Shattap. A Video that Gej, Sambo, Mark, Tambuwal and even Soyinka have seen? Are they more human than the rest of us? Why can't we see it.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by FrankC3: 9:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
Ok. They are not more human than you. Go and buy ticket to fly presidential jet. Even in heaven, there is hierarchy. Sometimes, people just want to live in dreamland.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 11, 2012
Look at the copy of the report from page 140( http://omojuwa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FINAL-SUBSIDY-REPORT..pdf) it implicates AP owned my Otedola.This is why Otedola is trying to sccuttle the integrity of the report.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by brabus(m): 9:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
seges: Look at the copy of the report from page 140( http://omojuwa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FINAL-SUBSIDY-REPORT..pdf) it implicates AP owned my Otedola.This is why Otedola is trying to sccuttle the integrity of the report.

Otedola is trying to scuttle the integrity of the report. How?
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Biggyd2: 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
People Deceiving People wink. We shall be able to differentiate between the deceiver and deceived soon.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by onthefence: 9:49pm On Jun 11, 2012
Frank-C:
Ok. They are not more human than you. Go and buy ticket to fly presidential jet. Even in heaven, there is hierarchy. Sometimes, people just want to live in dreamland.

Trash. What makes Soyinka more qualified than you? Grow some self esteem my friend.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 11, 2012
Beaf:

Have you heard of prejudicing a case? If the matter is going to court, you do not put the evidence before the public or it technically becomes inadmissible as evidence.
I'm not a legal expert, but there must be lawyers in the house to back this up.
100% wrong, but what do I know, eh? Lemme shut up before you and your cohorts claim to have a video of me grabbing Dame's barrel-belly while she was devouring a bowl of akpu.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by worldman(m): 10:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
OBJ i second the motion nigeria senators are thieves
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by greatlee(m): 11:50pm On Jun 11, 2012
holahabib: Chineke God!

my brother, aru n'eme na obodo!! chi ewere ehihie jie!!!

God! what is naija turning into? something needs to be done urgently.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Beaf: 12:31am On Jun 12, 2012
onthefence:

Wrong. We do not operate the jury system. Its only when a matter is already in court that you may do something to prejudice it. At this stage nothing should be done to INTERFERE with investigations, assuming they are incomplete as it stands.

I take it that you do not know the meaning of the word, prejudice.
It has nothing to do with the jury system, as much as it has to swaying public opinion before judgement as a way to influence legal direction.
I don't enjoy daft conversation based on half-baked knowledge. So bro, please help yourself to a legal definition of the word:

Prejudice
Definition - Transitive Verb
1 : to injure or damage the rights of by some legal action or prejudice <if it appears that a defendant or the government is prejudiced by a joinder of offenses ­Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure Rule 14>
2 : to injure or damage (rights) by some legal action or prejudice <that the denial prejudiced his right to a fair trial> <this clause does not ~ other rights>

Definition - Noun
[Old French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- before + judicium judgment]
1 : injury or detriment to one's legal rights or claims (as from the action of another): as
a : substantial impairment of a defendant's ability to defend <the court found no ~ to the defendant by the lengthy delay in bringing charges>
b : tendency for a decision on an improper basis (as past conduct) by a trier of fact <whether an ex parte communication to a deliberating jury resulted in any reasonable possibility of ~ to the defendant ­National Law Journal>
c : implied waiver of rights and privileges not explicitly retained < District Court erred in attaching ~ to prisoner's complaint for injunctive relief ­National Law Journal>
2 : a final and binding decision (as an adjudication on the merits) that bars further prosecution of the same cause of action or motion <dismisses this case with ~> <the dismissal was without ~>
3 a : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics <the Constitution does not prohibit laws based on ~ per se ­R. H. Bork>
b : an attitude or disposition (as of a judge) that prevents impartiality <that the judge before whom the matter is pending has a personal bias or ~...against him ­U.S. Code>
Pronunciation'pre-j&-d&s

http://research.lawyers.com/glossary/prejudice.html

I don't want any Dugbe market level comments, but would prefer comments on the matter from lawyers, because they know what exactly they are talking about in such matters from the Nigerian legal viewpoint.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by KokoBeware: 12:35am On Jun 12, 2012
you have to hold your trump card until the last minute... i dont think the Otedola guy will come out and talk with such guts if he doesnt have evidence......
lets watch and see...... this is really getting interesting.....
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Beaf: 12:38am On Jun 12, 2012
acidtalk:

You Bloody Freaking Son Of LUCIFER.
Don't go crying again that I insulted you because you just opened your ver own coffin.

You LOW LIFE, Drug addict gay bastard.
You said amen to the Prayer CONFIRMATING how your generation yet unboen will live and die a miserable life.

Why have you been so scared of the prayer, or did you realize the implication of how you just ruined your life and that of your unborn generation for supporting evil, corruption and lies and make the citizens suffer in frustration and hardhip?

RENO OMOKRI, for the hungry child, the old whose pension was denied, the accidents caused by nondevelopment or road and other infrastructions and the others, you and you likes will eventually have a miserable life on earth because for the crumbs you want to eat, you have put others into sorrows.

Don't dare go about crying about my prayers for you, 'cus if you do, the Wrath of God will Perish you.

You just started a new war......

You sound quite daft, sick and insane, bro.
It is quite evident that you are at war with both yourself and common sense. Since I am not Reno Omokri, shouldn't your prayer return to you and become a fulfilled wish for yourself? Say "amen," fool.
Lolzzz! grin

There are too many people like acidtalk with mental health issues running around NL. embarassed
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by acidtalk: 7:05am On Jun 12, 2012
Beaf:

You sound quite daft, sick and insane, bro.
It is quite evident that you are at war with both yourself and common sense. Since I am not Reno Omokri, shouldn't your prayer return to you and become a fulfilled wish for yourself? Say "amen," fool.
Lolzzz! grin

There are too many people like acidtalk with mental health issues running around NL. embarassed

And I suppose your FATHER is one of them as well. Bloody Freaking SON OF LUCIFER.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by onthefence: 7:27am On Jun 12, 2012
Beaf:

I take it that you do not know the meaning of the word, prejudice.
It has nothing to do with the jury system, as much as it has to swaying public opinion before judgement as a way to influence legal direction.
I don't enjoy daft conversation based on half-baked knowledge. So bro, please help yourself to a legal definition of the word:

http://research.lawyers.com/glossary/prejudice.html

I don't want any Dugbe market level comments, but would prefer comments on the matter from lawyers, because they know what exactly they are talking about in such matters from the Nigerian legal viewpoint.

It costs nothing to learn. You can not prejudice a matter that is not already in court. Simple. Has FL been charged to court? What are you in essence prejudicing. I repeat at this stage you can only Interfere with investigations.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Demdem(m): 8:03am On Jun 12, 2012
^^^^

I agree
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by yinkavelli(m): 8:18am On Jun 12, 2012
This event has just began. smiley Nigerians should watch very carefully so these magicians try to pull one out of their sleeves to decieve us. tho its gonna be a good show but today we all have the responsibility to look closely beyond the smoke screen and the clever distractions.....Naija, shine your eyes.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by lacidi: 8:50am On Jun 12, 2012
onthefence:

It costs nothing to learn. You can not prejudice a matter that is not already in court. Simple. Has FL been charged to court? What are you in essence prejudicing. I repeat at this stage you can only Interfere with investigations.

Sir, you can actually prejudice a matter that is not yet in Court. If a particular case is going to court and the primary evidence in that case is thrown open to public opinion, it can be argued in court that the Judge has become prejudiced by the comments and opinions expressed by the public on the evidence. In fact, if there is a poll in the newspaper which shows that majority of lawyers believe that the evidence presented is real/fake, then one can argue that the Judge had already formed an opinion or could be said to have been swayed by such opinion of a majority of his colleagues even before the evidence is put before him in court.

It would even be worse if the Judges friend, brother, colleague, extended family member, old boys association or whatever had stated an opinion on the evidence prior to the case going to court.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by zoomzu(f): 9:15am On Jun 12, 2012
I am totally disappointed. Where are we going in this country? those we relied on to save us are the ones selling us. God, show thy mercy on this Nation. Can't BH help to bomb them all? God......God..... I am weeping for this country called Nigeria. When a President is a thief, what do we expect of his cabinet members......Jonathan....you are a bad luck to this nation.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by emmasege: 9:23am On Jun 12, 2012
klairekk: NLC, Save Nigeria Group where is thy STING :-XNLC, Save Nigeria Group where is thy STING

You see that's why some of us think SNG are political in their approach to issues. Yes, subsidy report indicted some people who should be prosecuted. But why is the SNG not saying anything concerning the bribery scandal?, or why didn't they "Save lagos' when Fasola sacked medical doctors and the heath sector was paralyzed. If this bribery scandal were to be a flaw from GEJ or He had sacked federal medical doctors, they would have been crying in their usual manner. Pls let's drop this partisan approach to national issues. Neither Bakare nor Falana can be compared with the late Fawehinmi when it comes to saving Nigerians or advocating for the masses.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by onthefence: 9:26am On Jun 12, 2012
lacidi:

Sir, you can actually prejudice a matter that is not yet in Court. If a particular case is going to court and the primary evidence in that case is thrown open to public opinion, it can be argued in court that the Judge has become prejudiced by the comments and opinions expressed by the public on the evidence. In fact, if there is a poll in the newspaper which shows that majority of lawyers believe that the evidence presented is real/fake, then one can argue that the Judge had already formed an opinion or could be said to have been swayed by such opinion of a majority of his colleagues even before the evidence is put before him in court.

It would even be worse if the Judges friend, brother, colleague, extended family member, old boys association or whatever had stated an opinion on the evidence prior to the case going to court.

You need to show me one matter in any court especially high profile cases that has not been in the public domain before the plaintiff even consults a lawyer. You do realise that it is not every matter that goes to come. The law does not act in contemplation of an action. There must be an action.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Demdem(m): 9:29am On Jun 12, 2012
@emmasege
Will u shut up and be patient. When did the bribery scandal became a public knowledge? wasnt it over this past weekend? wont they take their time to go through all these allegations and counter allegations before coming out to take a position. Some of u guys are simply pathetic
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by TheMatrix3: 9:31am On Jun 12, 2012
ballabriggs: So Lawan said he was going to rope Otedola even when he has done no wrong. grin grin grin grin

A whole Femi Otedola! Is Lawan that stupid that he does not know the power Otedola possesses?

Rewind....

Sire, yu are danm ryt on dis one, I'm taking the whole subsidy report panel thinghy wit a pinch of salt, Farouk would be damn ryt stewpid if he feels he could rope in the high and mighty Otedola when he is innocent. More so with the like of beef and pork concluding that Farouk was guilty, makes the whole thing have a political undertone undecided
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 12, 2012
seges: Look at the copy of the report from page 140( http://omojuwa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FINAL-SUBSIDY-REPORT..pdf) it implicates AP owned my Otedola.This is why Otedola is trying to sccuttle the integrity of the report.
. FL initially said he never collected any bribe and dismissed the supposed video evidence as ' a mere caricature of his person' whatever that means. Now he is saying he took the bribe just to roped Otedola in and what's funny is the documents shown that we all know could have been cooked up and back dated to show all that he claims. I'm not saying Otedola is a saint but something is fishy about Lawan and he seems a crook.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Demdem(m): 9:57am On Jun 12, 2012
[b]Farouk Lawan released a statement on Sunday through which he denied accepting any bribe money from Femi Otedola to influence the subsidy report. The Chairman of the subsidy probe committee never denied taking $ 500,000 from oil baron Femi Otedola, he did however deny the existence of a videotape, largely because he never suspected its existence.

The Femi Otedola story of “involving the SSS and Lawan initiating the bribe attempt” appear to be part of an intricately woven plot to discredit the House of Representatives report on Fuel subsidy. The presidency is in a predicament over implementing the report as it calls for the punishment of some of his senior aides and campaign contributors, including Femi Otedola, Diezani Madueke (Minister of Petroleum Resources) and Stella Odua (Minister of Aviation).

Farouk Lawan reportedly informed the Chairman of the House Committee on Drugs/Narcotics and Financial Crimes, Adams Jagaban, about the bribe attempt, surrendering the $ 500,000 cash which consisted of ten bundles of mint $ 50,000, attached to a memo.

The memo from Lawan to Jagaban partly reads, “You may please recall that I intimated you of the persistence of Mr. Femi Otedola, Chairman Forte Oil, Zenon Oil and AP Petroleum to offer monetary inducement to influence the outcome and Consolidation of the report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Petroleum Subsidy.

“Attached (to the letter) is the sum of five hundred thousand dollars only offered to me with another promise of two million, five hundred thousand dollars.

I had considered bringing this issue as a matter of privilege on the floor of the House later today when the House sits, but I am concerned the controversy it will generate will dwarf the content of the report which needs public attention so that the necessary reforms in the sector could be effected.

“I however believe that given the desperation of Mr. Otedola, handling this matter in a furious but diplomatic manner is necessary as he has also made some vested threats which put me and members of my Committee in a delicate situation.

“While reporting this matter to you and hoping that appropriate action will be taken, we shall continue to monitor him and if further offers are made, we shall duly handover to your committee.”

The Acting Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar was also informed by the House of the bribery attempt by Femi Otedola, a member of the President’s economic management team.

Based on the letter written to the IG on the bribery attempt, the police ordered a discreet investigation into the matter.

Farouk Lawan informed the law enforcement bodies over two (2) months ago about the bribery attempts, indicating his innocence of collecting the money maliciously.

It is however telling that although the Chairman of Forte Oil claimed to have involved the SSS early enough for them to conduct a sting operation, that there is no evidence of Lawan initiating the bribe proceedings.

According to sources, Femi Otedola called Lawan’s phone over 50 times the night he was given the money.

Secretary to the Ad Hoc Committee, Mr. B. C. Emenalo, also disclosed through a memo to Lawan another bribery attempt by Femi Otedola.

The memo, entitled “Consistent Pressure to Compromise by Managing Director and Chairman, Zenon Oil and Gas, AP and Forte”. It reads: “My earlier report/discussion with you on the above subject matter and your directives refer.

“I wish to inform you that I was on his invitation, at the residence of their(Zenon Oil and Gas, AP, Forte) Chairman, Mr. Femi Otedola in Maitama, (Aso Drive) this morning and he offered me the sum of One hundred thousand US dollars in two bundles of $50,000 each. The money is hereby forwarded as evidence.

“Please find attached the exhibit for onward transmission to the relevant Committee and Leadership.”
[/b]

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/06/12/lawan-never-took-any-bribe-from-otedola-informed-ig-of-police-promptly-of-bribery-attempt/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=lawan-never-took-any-bribe-from-otedola-informed-ig-of-police-promptly-of-bribery-attempt
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by emmasege: 11:05am On Jun 12, 2012
Demdem: @emmasege
Will u shut up and be patient. When did the bribery scandal became a public knowledge? wasnt it over this past weekend? wont they take their time to go through all these allegations and counter allegations before coming out to take a position. Some of u guys are simply pathetic

Hypocrite, did it take them so long to oppose fuel subsidy removal which was a good move though, and did they ever speak up during the Fashola/Doctors saga?
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Demdem(m): 11:16am On Jun 12, 2012
emmasege:

Hypocrite, did it take them so long to oppose fuel subsidy removal which was a good move though, and did they ever speak up during the Fashola/Doctors saga?

removal of fuel subsidy was already a debatable issue in the polity as far back as November 2011 so a position has already been taken even before the retardeen went ahead so whats ur point?
tell me about any state affairs the SNG has meddled in? besides who told u the govt didnt enjoy the support of the people against the doctors during the strike? u are the hypocrite here my friend.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by lookmangiw(m): 4:40pm On Jun 12, 2012
The_Matrix:

Sire, yu are danm ryt on dis one, I'm taking the whole subsidy report panel thinghy wit a pinch of salt, Farouk would be damn ryt stewpid if he feels he could rope in the high and mighty Otedola when he is innocent. More so with the like of beef and pork concluding that Farouk was guilty, makes the whole thing have a political undertone undecided

i just discovered that it was beaf that started this thread. no wonder
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by lookmangiw(m): 4:40pm On Jun 12, 2012
The_Matrix:

i just discovered that it was beaf that started this thread. no wonder, surely there is a political undertone to this whole issue.
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2012
Its all hand in the cookie jar!
But who's "faster and smarter" to remove his hand before being caught.

There are more than "mere petty thieves in govt houses" with the connivance of corrupt businessmen/women like OTEDOLA whom are govt made billionaires.

From all said and done it seems either way one of the actors of this sleave approached the other for a favour but things turned ugly when "the powers that be" decided to use the infos discredit the subsidy probe.
Thereby both parties are now clutching at straws to save face and hoping for safe landing from the police/IG, SSS and the presidency.

Barawos!
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by lekkie073(m): 5:36pm On Jun 12, 2012
onthefence:

Trash. What makes Soyinka more qualified than you? Grow some self esteem my friend.
Soyinka is renowned globally, i bet u̶̲̥̅̊ я not even known in ur village!
Re: Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers by onthefence: 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
lekkie073:
Soyinka is renowned globally, i bet u̶̲̥̅̊ я not even known in ur village!

Your self esteem is getting lower with each post. Please continue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo: Bomb Attack Foiled In Yobe State / Wike Waives Fee, Approves Stadium For APC Presidential Campaign Rally / Alex Otti Unveils Transition Council Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.