Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash (8429 Views)

Google Has Banned Me From Using Their Services On My Android. / Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets / Mobile Phones ("GSM Handsets") Approved by the NCC for use in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by denny4ril: 4:45pm On Jun 11, 2012
it was very bas and it seems like people were not too concerned about d victims onboard dat Dana plane....otherwise d rate at which pics were being taken and shared in dat day was alarming. Even d emergency response team did not get immediate access
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by blessed4ril(f): 4:48pm On Jun 11, 2012
9c thread! Bravo @OP
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 11, 2012
abakiki: But have you not noticed that Nigerians do not actually catch the "action" but we always get to see an aftermath. why is that so?
So true, but am about changing this.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2012
But honestly, i think some things should not be filmed. I saw this pic of peter waxtan, the dana aircraft pilot and i think it isn't right.

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by member479760: 6:14pm On Jun 11, 2012
4bobo: i worked with one very rich ,american woman, who was a trained doctor but runs school.up till now she still uses nokia 1100 , not stingy woman, though, but she will only tell u that she dont want phone that she doesnt use the functions. She only use simple phones. I think it is mentality. We do alot of competitions and under pressure to meet up. Thats why many people dont know what to do with the phone feauture. Our atitude needs to be changed individually.

true talk!
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by double3(m): 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2012
I don't see this issue as a problem rather it's a solution to a problem in the sence that information can be easily transferred from whoever witnessed an event whether good or bad to a person not at the scene if the event...shikena!!
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by stokolie(m): 6:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
crime scene,accident scene in a system that work are either video recorded,or captured on with a camera.so as to reconstuct what might have been.the idea of capturing any event is not a bad idea,but busy trying to get a clip when one can help save lives is bad.
beside to people can witness an event and have different accounts.but a video record is just what it is.
as for dana aircrash.there was little anyone could have done,as the accident scene was deemed unstable so rescue work could even be a suicide mission.
on the other hand there is no good way to tell someone their loved one is died that it doesnt hurt.i remember losing my brother in an accident,then waiting for three days to knw the truth.it tormenting and torturing to wait for so long a time to know the truth.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 11, 2012
ERM DUNNO ABOUT YALL BUT I GUESS IM USING MINE THE RIGHT WAY AFTERALL ITS ME WHO UH WHAT I DO WITH IT SHDNT BE ON NEWSLINE WEN OTHER PRESSING ISSUES R RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. lipsrsealed
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Curiouscity(m): 8:52pm On Jun 11, 2012
For some people to bash the @OP for opening this thread and asking for idea shows how self-centered and pathetic we Nigerian are.
Most of us think things we do are so right until we become victims then we cry wolf. Someone even compared it to 'overseas'.
I doubt if that person have been to a developed country before. If s/he lives in a developed world, he should do a rough estimate the ratio
of the people around him that he sees displaying cell phones compared to Nigeria.

We are just naively arrogant about everything we do(especially the wrong ones)!!
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by jude33084(m): 9:04pm On Jun 11, 2012
smlafolabi: Average Nigerian own a camera hand set now, and they are never tired to flash their handset and start covering events as they unfold. Average Nigeria with his or her handset is a reporter and you will see us everywhere at accident sites, street fights, music concerts, rally or street protest, even street dogs mating on the street - some Nigerians will cover it. This is not a blame topic but I just want to use this means to enable people to contribute on how we can positively use our handsets to make positive impact in the society. How do you explain this, someone is dying in a crash all you are busy
doing is filming the scenario and not how to rescue the victims. someone right is being violated in the public by been striped Unclad and all some Naijas will do is to be filming the scenario with their handsets and broadcasting it on socia media.
We are in the information technology age but we should also learn to respect privacy of others and how sensitive and damaging the informations we broadcast with our handsets can be to the lives of our neighbours. Majority of the ill fated Dana aircrash victims got the news of their family member death on Blackberry broadcast, imagine people circulating unconfirmed photgraphs of airhostesses , pilots, family pictures, most of the bereaved family members are still in shock due to this fact.

@OP; I believe that the advantages of using camera phones outshines the disadvantages. My opinion anyway grin
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Pakavy(m): 9:13pm On Jun 11, 2012
k2kay: nice topic.........feels good seeing something reasonable in which people don't have to hurl abuses at each other to get their points across. bravo!
c ur mawt..just kidding bro
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by SmileGirl(f): 1:36am On Jun 12, 2012
@Nashville u are a coward. If u happend 2 b one of d victims who ws badly injured while som1 else takes ur photograph. U wil use ur blood 2 curse d person. Heartless human
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by wellmax(m): 6:28am On Jun 12, 2012
@ OP
But whenever there is an incident, crises, accident etc, you will be among those shouting 'pictures pls'. So there is nothing wrong, once some people are offering help.

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by secnelly: 6:55am On Jun 12, 2012
@Poster, How on Earth does it affect my friend or neighbour what i do with my camera phone? How can u go to secure a crash victim whereas the security men are there and barricade people from invading? Do u expect me to go and rescue man, being beaten up by an army Not at all. The best thing is to advertise it so people can see whats happening and people on top positions who find it bad should address their crew members. I bought my camera phone to have fun with it and not for u to teach me what am supposed to do with it..

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by secnelly: 6:55am On Jun 12, 2012
@Poster, U are actually on poitnt but How on Earth does it affect my friend or neighbour what i do with my camera phone? How can u go to secure a crash victim whereas the security men are there and barricade people from invading? Do u expect me to go and rescue man, being beaten up by an army Not at all. The best thing is to advertise it so people can see whats happening and people on top positions who find it bad should address their crew members. I bought my camera phone to have fun with it and not for u to teach me what am supposed to do with it..*just talking*
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by walcolm(m): 7:08am On Jun 12, 2012
Folks, i think we are reacting emotionally.

there is so much untruth and corruption in the world that it is pertinent for as many bits and pieces of information about any event be captured as much as possible to avoid cover ups and exploitation

let's use the dana crash as a case in point. it is a sad event and an unfortunate one but it is not everybody at the scene of that accident that has the capacity to provide rescue or help to the victims at the time of the accident. not because they don't want to but because they don't have the capacity to do it without complicating the incident and endangering themselves and others

i am in no way endorsing insensitivity by sharing false pictures or spreading rumors. the least bit people who cannot provide help can do is cover the real events and share it so that rescue workers who go over and beyond to help the victims can be identified and lauded and even rewarded. those who misbehave or choose not to provide help when they are paid and mandated to provide rescue will also be captured and feel the displeasure of the world.

its a delicate topic that needs cool headed logical analysis rather than emotional shutdown
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Meklex(m): 7:52am On Jun 12, 2012
Used my camera phone once to record a fight in my off campus lodge....later showed it to both fighting gladiators....

So poster you are suggesting that mass communication should be abolished....
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by jeak123(m): 9:28am On Jun 12, 2012
the advice for all users of mobile phones is moderation. phones can be a veritable tool for dissemination of information. and can also be a destroyer. like i said earlier every user should use his/her head while using it.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by TheMatrix3: 9:42am On Jun 12, 2012
see one very good use of a mobile phone grin

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by smlafolabi(m): 12:56pm On Jun 12, 2012
@ saddyeek why the shut up, why not make your opinion known in a gentlemanly manner, your reaction indicated that we that agreed with this post have landed a blow on your ribs, are you guilty? @ nashville your suggestion is right, but also if you see a lady been beaten and striped naked in the public must we capture her unclothedness and start broadcasting it on phones,if nah your mama or sister be the victim will you do such. see the image of the illfated crash below taken from the accident scene- if watson nah your papa will you love the dead body of your family members to be displayed and circulated this way. If the whole civilised world can criticize the way Mohamed Ghadafi dead mutilated pictures are been circulated on smartphones, what are we arguing about. I will expand the scope of this society ills to other part of the world ( obviously its not only Nigerians now , its happens all over the world, our own is just very worse.) That was what formed the essence of this post, I was part of the subsidy rally and I love the role mass media gadgets played during the rally. we are not condemning Nigerians we are just intellectually trying to make this our society a better and civilised one. All these omo alata, omo elepo, danfo conductors, okada riders , even the very enlighthned and educated ones that have access to blacberrys , Iphones, should be very carefull and inteligent with the way they use their gadgets. Thank you all for your contributions.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by smlafolabi(m): 1:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
Thank you o jeak123
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by mummy3(f): 2:15pm On Jun 12, 2012
snapping of bad or good events and forwarding to contacts is a way of passing informations to people for them to beware. Because we're living in a dangerous world. And atimes such information makes us to be at alert, put fear in us and also makes us to realise that God has been so good to us that so many are dying in pains, it doesnt mean some of those pictures are being snapped for mocking or just to look at that person's unclothedness. Tho our media organizations usually blur the face of the victim before broadcasting. i believe the horrible pictures and news we receive everyday on our bb have really shaped most of our life styles. We seem to be more careful now a days compare to when we were living in darkness . No PhCN power supply to watch news on the tv, no money to buy news paper everyday and how many newspaper will you buy? and most of the information we used to get in those days were rumours. but now with your bb is life and direct and you can also extend it to your family members for viewing. i believe also with so much of snaping snaping we do now adays, some people with bad intention might be scared of carrying out their evil intentions, because they might feel someone could be somewhere trying to video or snap them.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by adventisty: 3:09pm On Jun 13, 2012
keeping on course!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Come In For Innjoo Fire Plus 3g Lollipop Rom,root And Upgrades / How To Watch Videos And Surf The Web Without Using A Lot Of Data / What Star Did You Left 2go Mobile App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.