Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria (1532 Views)

Power Generation Falls By 356.8MW In Three Weeks / ‘Nigeria Now A Model To South Africa On Power Sector Reform’ / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 11:51am On Nov 24, 2007

I guess every Nigerian is affected in one way or the other by the issue of power generation in the country. So please feel free to talk about your experiences, thoughts, appraisals, doom forecasts etc. . . I guess you get the picture,

Thinking about it, independent power generation would be a great project in Nigeria which would be reaching out to peoples immediate need and at the same time will (hopefully) be profitable to the pepertrators, whether they be Nigerian businesses or Foreign Investors (Preferably Nigerian Businesses smiley). Say for example, if a company or group pf companies decided to create local powerstations nationwide which provide electricity to say, about 500 homes at a time (Like Shell Housing generators, but available to the general public). This would provide thousands, if not million of jobs to Nigerian graduates, electricity to Nigerians and revenue to the business. What do you think the strenghts and pitfalls are? Also, what methods do you think are the most viable methods of providing power - Coal? Gas? Biodiesel? Can you justify these methods? Where would one get these materials from? Is there any legislation preventing this? Why hasn't anyone taken it up since 1960?
Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by wanaj0: 12:30pm On Nov 24, 2007
naijacutee:

I guess every Nigerian is affected in one way or the other by the issue of power generation in the country. So please feel free to talk about your experiences, thoughts, appraisals, doom forecasts etc. . . I guess you get the picture,

Thinking about it, independent power generation would be a great project in Nigeria which would be reaching out to peoples immediate need and at the same time will (hopefully) be profitable to the pepertrators, whether they be Nigerian businesses or Foreign Investors (Preferably Nigerian Businesses smiley). Say for example, if a company or group pf companies decided to create local powerstations nationwide which provide electricity to say, about 500 homes at a time (Like Shell Housing generators, but available to the general public). This would provide thousands, if not million of jobs to Nigerian graduates, electricity to Nigerians and revenue to the business. What do you think the strenghts and pitfalls are? Also, what methods do you think are the most viable methods of providing power - Coal? Gas? Biodiesel? Can you justify these methods? Where would one get these materials from? Is there any legislation preventing this? Why hasn't anyone taken it up since 1960?

Power projects are capitl intensive with long gestation perios.

Regulatory environment was not favourable hence the lack of investment by the private sector.

For Nigeria, Gas is the most cost effective option for power generator.

Economy of scale means bigger plants 500MW are preferred.
Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by obua: 1:25pm On Nov 24, 2007
In power generation ,the bigger the better and cheaper.
I run a small biz with 40kva generator. I supply power to 2 neighbours at no extra cost to myself.
Power generation in Nigeria has been retarted by bad laws and bad governance.
Obasanjo was able to push the power sector reform bill thru the senate, so now power can be generated by any body.
For the system to function efficiently , goverment ownership must change as the government ownership in Nigeria means innefficiency
Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 9:05am On Nov 27, 2007
@ wanaj0. It's true that power projects are capital intensive, but with proper research and planning, I'm sure the gestation periods won't be that long. I'm not talking about supplying the whole of Nigeria with electricity - That would require billions, if not trillions of naira, considering our population of 160million and counting. 500MW is an awful lot to start with, especially with a virgin market. Plants or generators generating a smaller amount - maybe 5MW for about 100 - 200 homes to start with.

What I'm suggesting is the creation of power stations by private companies. This is how the UK started many years ago. The market was open to the public, and private companies, as well as local authorities owned power stations and sold electricity to the general public, in different parts of the country. I guess it was just a matter of looking for areas without coverage, and expanding there. . . Sort of like GSM in Nigeria. This is a country with little or no natural resources - Most of their power stations were running on imported coal.Gas is a great idea - If it's flared off from oil fields - even better.

@ obua. I agree with you - Government ownership must change. Are there laws restricting the supply of electricity to the PHCN only?

Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by gzy212(m): 10:02am On Nov 27, 2007
上 海 双 手 机 电 有 限 公 司
SHANGHAI SUNSHOW MECHANICAL & ELECTRICAL CO., LTD
No 555,Zhaojiajing Road, Songjiang Industrial Park, Shanghai, P.R. China
Ph: 86-21-37601551/37601556 Fax: 86-21-37601556/37601177

Re: EPA/CE/SONCAP Certified Generators

We are the famous JINLING brand portable gasoline/diesel generator manufacturer located in Shanghai, China. We sell our products in Alaba market many years and we own many steady buyers, such as EATENDO POWER PRODUCTS,CHELLARAMS PLC and so on. By information search, we get to know that our captioned products may probably fall within your dealing scope, and are therefore inspired to approach to you by this mail in the hope of establishing business ties with your esteemed firm.

In a nutshell, the gasoline gen-set series can shoot rated output ranging from 0.65kva to 5.0kva under 220V, 50Hz, 3000rpm.
The diesel gen-set series can provide rated output ranging from 5.0kva to 28.0kva under 220V/440, 3300rpm (single-phase), and under 220V/440V 50Hz, 3000rpm (3-phase).

Our competitive-edge can be summed up as:
1) Having a tracked–record of focusing entirely on portable generators for 8 years.
2) Possessing an immensely large factory building housing a cluster of state-of-the-art facilities, thereby a huge potential capacity.
3) The products feature refined processing, compact structure, sound alternator, stable running, uncompromised quality, and last but not least, with main parts to be fabricated with self-invested moulds to secure precise and accurate consistency.

To achieve a one-stop view of information of our company, kindly please visit http://shanghaisunshow.en.alibaba.com.

We will be grateful if you favor us with a reply by email, fax or even a phone call.
Best regards,

Sunny,Guo
Sales
International Operations Dept
Ph.: +86 21 3760 1551 Fax: +86 21 3760 1556
Cell: 86 137 8893 7623
MSN:masterguozhiyun@hotmail.com
Website: http://shanghaisunshow.en.alibaba.com, www.sunshow.com.cn
Email: zhiyun@jinlingcn.com

Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 10:22am On Nov 27, 2007
@ chineseman. If your generator cannot supply at least 1MW of electricity, then it is not relevant to this post. angry
Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by obua: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2007
Do not be too hard on the Chineseman, he is just trying to sell his wares.
I was initially pissed off when I saw his post. We should actually vent our anger on the right people.
Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by naijacutee(f): 6:44pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ chineseman. I'm sorry I'm misfiring my latent anger at you. . . I know you are trying to do some targeted advertising I guess this post is a wrong 'target'.

@ obua. Thanks for correcting me.
Re: Discussion : Capitalising On Power Generation In Nigeria by scofield2016: 3:14pm On Jan 06, 2020
President Goodluck Jonathan’s commitment to ‘move Nigeria from darkness to light’ was one step closer to being realized today at the official signing ceremony held by the BPE for the winning bidders of the privatization of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

The ceremony was held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja and was presided over by Minister of Power Professor Chinedu Nebo. In attendance were representatives from the five generating and 10 distribution companies, including Transcorp, who successfully bid for the Ughelli power plant in the Delta. The winning companies were whittled down from over 300 interested parties in a process which the Director General of the BPE Benjamin Dikki said, “matched and exceeded international best practice.”

Dikki went on to applaud the high quality of investors, saying, “All the firms that went through this rigorous privatisation process and emerged as the preferred bidders should be congratulated. Nigerians can start to smile.”

https://transcorppower.com/2013/02/21/nigerias-power-in-the-hands-of-the-private-sector/

(1) (Reply)

Advise On How To Invest 10 Million Naira In Nigeria / Need Supplier That Accept Letter Of Credit In Alibaba / Diapers Biz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.