Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,450 members, 7,954,767 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:51 AM

Lauryn Hill Could Face Jail Time For Tax Evasion? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Lauryn Hill Could Face Jail Time For Tax Evasion? (943 Views)

Hot! Lauryn Hill Performing At Eko Hotel, Lagos Nigeria / Fat Joe Admits He’s Facing Jail Time For Tax Evasion / Lauryn Hill | Live At Mtv (unplugged) Full Concert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lauryn Hill Could Face Jail Time For Tax Evasion? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 12, 2012

By SYDNEY LUPKIN
June 9, 2012
Former Fugees singer Lauren Hill says she didn't cheat on her taxes; she went "underground."

A day after federal prosecutors in New Jersey charged Hill, 37, with three counts of "knowingly and willfully fail(ing) to make an income tax return to the IRS," according court documents, Hill took to Tumblr to share her side of the story.

Hill said she withdrew to heal and grow away from the forces that had oppressed and manipulated her in the past. She didn't name any names.

"It was critically important that I find a suitable pathway within which to exist, without being distorted or economically strong-armed," she wrote. "Failure to create a non toxic, non exploitative environment was not an option."

Hill won five Grammys when she launched her solo career with the album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" in 1998, but she dropped out of sight in the early 2000s.

The singer pointed out that she paid her taxes before going underground.

"This only stopped when it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family," she wrote.

Hill made a more than $1.8 million from 2005 through 2007, the years she allegedly failed to pay taxes, according to federal court documents.

Hill said she conveyed the contents of her post when authorities questioned her about her taxes.

"Obviously, the danger I faced was not accepted as reasonable grounds for deferring my tax payments, as authorities, who despite being told all of this, still chose to pursue action against me, as opposed to finding an alternative solution," she wrote, adding that she always intended to rectify the situation.

She could face up to a year in prison or $100,000 fine for each of three counts, according to a press release from the Department of Justice. She is scheduled to appear before a judge on June 29.
Source
Re: Lauryn Hill Could Face Jail Time For Tax Evasion? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2012
Voice is all messed up here
I suppose going underground messed up the vocal cords too sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUMSceOWSTM
Re: Lauryn Hill Could Face Jail Time For Tax Evasion? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2012
Lauryn Hill Live In Concert Video Montage - 14 May 12 - 02 Indigo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRtoOpcL2o

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Wih Barry Ayinde's Music / NEW MUSIC: African China – Boko Haram & Gen Gen / E-x-p-o-s-e-d!- Don't Ever Watch Or Listen!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.