Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,040 members, 7,814,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? (54902 Views)

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine / Mazda MPV Problems: Car Won't Accelerate Beyond 60km/hr At Half-tank / Peugeot 307 Problems! Help! Car Does Not Start When Hot! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by Ikenna351(m): 1:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
Sienna With Hard Start In The Morning. by jothan(m): 12:19pm On Jun 14

Dear Auto Gurus, I bought a 2001 Toyota Siena (automatic transmission) few months ago and since then I have discovered the car has a peculiar problem. I observed that whenever the vehicle's engine is cold and you start the car and for whatever reason, you turn off the engine, the car will not be able to start except you leave it for a long while like 30mins before it will be able to start again.

Again, if you drive the car to the office which takes about 20mins, (by this time the engine is hot) you can turn off/start the car as many times as you wish and the car will respond. i have changed cold start, changed the fuel pump and stil to no avail.

Pls, what do i do

See what I meant.

Ikenna.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by Ikenna351(m): 1:17pm On Jun 17, 2012
chiebube: Oga Ikenna!, Ikenna!!, Ikenna!!!

How many times did I call u?

Pls be more cautious when u are responding to other people's suggestions especially when they proffer suggestions to people's car problems.

U can diplomatically tell them its wrong instead of making them look like 'MUMU'.

Pls I hope u won't be offended.

Ikenna! Ikenna!!! Ikenna!!!

Next time I will ask ur primary school teacher to beat u.

But on a serious note, its not funny.

Pls take note

I read that my post again & truely sensed arrogance.

To make it up for you guys, I will stay out of the forum for a while. Others need to make their input too. Thats how everyone learns.

I sincerly apologise.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by ajilegend(m): 2:44pm On Jul 02, 2015
USAutoBuy:
Don't waste your money. The best guess i could think of at the moment is something called "COLD START VALVE"
Its job is to tell the brainbox/injectors to supply more petrol cos the car is cold. And less when warm.
That is why you have no problem starting the car after driving it.
Find below the picture where its located and what it looks like
Good luck out there

I really want to say thank you for the explanation and most importantly the picture. It really helped me in preventing mechanics from sucking me dry when I had the cold start problem.

1 Like

Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by ebhohon: 6:13pm On Jan 01, 2016
I have this challenge of changing my fuel pump. When i park it wont start my mechanic change the fuel pump twice and told me that the fuel pump is working. Base on other experience on the cold start valve i will tell an auto electrician to check it. Right now my car is parked on the road.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by honmusa(m): 12:44am On Jan 02, 2016
ebhohon:
I have this challenge of changing my fuel pump. When i park it wont start my mechanic change the fuel pump twice and told me that the fuel pump is working. Base on other experience on the cold start valve i will tell an auto electrician to check it. Right now my car is parked on the road.
u can get more accurate suggestion if u can state the model of ur car.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by carblognaija: 6:30am On Jan 02, 2016
Why don't u give more details about the car and the symptoms. if possible open a new thread, you will get more help that way. kpele!
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by ebhohon: 12:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
Please help advise me, i have change fuel pump 3 times , After each change the car will start and move when i switch off the car it will not start again. The mechanic and electrician has made all manner of suggestion, yet they have not been able to resolve it. Right now they are still guessing. The car is a toyota camry tiny light.
Made in canada.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by honmusa(m): 5:57am On Jan 03, 2016
ebhohon:

Please help advise me, i have change fuel pump 3 times , After each change the car will start and move when i switch off the car it will not start again. The mechanic and electrician has made all manner of suggestion, yet they have not been able to resolve it. Right now they are still guessing. The car is a toyota camry tiny light.
Made in canada.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by honmusa(m): 6:02am On Jan 03, 2016
ebhohon:

Made in canada.
u need to change ur mechanic and rewire ,all of them are working blindly.u will need to run diagnosis on your car to resolve this issue ,this will pin point the root of the issue instead of your mechanic approach of throwing part at issue.
call autologic @ 08061166316 to run diagnosis on your car.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by ebhohon: 8:08am On Jan 04, 2016
I have tried to use diagnosis but i was told that diagnosis cannot work if it doesn't start. Now they said it is crankshaft position sensor
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by honmusa(m): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
car diagnosis is limited by the skill level and the equipment of the person doing the troubleshooting for u .
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by ebhohon: 8:23pm On Jan 04, 2016
Someone brought diagnosis and said it is brain box which i disagree with him because my friend brought his car, the car brain box was used in my car it didnt work my brain box was used in his car it worked which means my car brain box is ok. What i need is a knowledgable technician.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by honmusa(m): 7:33am On Jan 05, 2016
Have u called autologic ? Diagnosis doesn't necessary means a particular equipment ,it involves all the the whole array of equipment and mental skill to troubleshoot and resolve a particular issue .
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by Boxzyy24: 10:59am On Feb 04, 2019
Good morning,please I own a 2013 Hyundai Elantra automatic transmission which I use for taxify and my car doesn't start after changing my crankshaft sensors as the old one cut,when the car is rolled from the engine,the kick start rolls the engine but it doesn't start,but when rolled with the key,it doesn't roll,just makes a kack kack kack sound,it happened after a rewire opened the fuse box with the key in the ignition
Please I'm confused now cause they don't know the cause of the problem as every wiring is not faulty,but they say enough light is not entering the kick start,and they say it's brainbox issue
Please help

Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by Hafromax(m): 2:04pm On Sep 06, 2021
Hi @Meerkat,, am currently dealing with this issue, coincidentally my car is also a camry 96..
Were you able to resolve the issue and how pls?

I have change fuel pump, filter,ignition coil, igniter , distribution and high tension coil cable,,,
At this point I just don't want to continue wasting money on part anymore..
Pls I'll really appreciate a reply from you.
Thank you
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by Smartmatics: 6:42pm On Dec 02, 2023
Hello bro, the problem with your early morning hard start is COLD START SENSOR professionallycalled ECT( Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). Pls do not heed to the advice of removing your thermostat.
Mechanics do so cos they don't understand the principles of car thermostat.

It plugs into the coolant base and senses when the engine is hot from the coolant and switches on the thermostat which controls the fan and vice versa when cold is switches the fan off. So when the sensor goes the thermostat won't be able to start the fan. This can lead to over heating. Thus they will tell you to remove your thermostat without understanding.

The solution is just to replace your cold start sensor or ECT sensor. You can Google ECT sensor and its functions bro. Don't destroy your innocent car.

Infact the presence of thermostat saves fuel as it help your engine relax at intervals than remaining on a steady high steaming with stead fan cooling. The fan also places demand on your engine.
Also it brings down the steaming sound of your engine from high to low.

GOODLUCK.
Re: My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? by Smartmatics: 6:45pm On Dec 02, 2023
Cold Start Sensor.

ECT Sensor

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Unbelievable Vehicles Owned By Equatorial Guinea’s President’s Son / ₦6million Can-Am Spyder Roadster Spotted In Lagos (Photos) / Photos Of Cars And Jets With Matching Colors: They Are Just Too Cute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.