Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (3153 Views)

Chimamanda Ngozi-adichie Celebrates Her 38th Birthday Today / Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is now married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by Orikinla(m): 12:41am On Nov 25, 2007
Real Food
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I was nine years old, sitting stiffly at the dining table in my blue-and-white school uniform, and across from me sat my mother, who had come home from work at the university registry, elegant in her swishy skirt, smelling of Poison perfume and saying she wanted to watch me eat. I still do not know who told her that I was skipping lunch before school. Perhaps it was the houseboy, Fide. Perhaps it was my little brother Kenechukwu, who went to school in the morning and came home just before I left. The firm set of her mouth told me that I had no choice but to eat the garri and soup placed on the table. I made the sign of the cross. I plucked a morsel from the soft lump of garri. I lightly molded it with my fingers. I dipped it into the soup. I swallowed. My throat itched. I disliked all the variants of this quintessential Nigerian food, whether made from corn, cassava, or yams, whether cooked or stirred or pounded in a mortar until they became a soft mash. It was jokingly called “swallow,” because one swallowed the morsels without chewing; it was easy to tell that a person chewing garri was a foreigner.

“Hurry up,” my mother said. “You will be late for school.” We had garri for lunch every day except Sunday, when we had rice and stew and sometimes a lush salad that contained everything from baked beans to boiled eggs and was served with dollops of creamy dressing. The soups gave some variety to lunch: the yellowish egusi, made of ground melon seeds and vegetables; onugbu, rich with dark-green bitterleaf; okro, with its sticky sauce; nsala, with beef chunks floating in a thin herb-filled broth. I disliked them all.

That afternoon, it was egusi soup. My mother’s eyes were steady behind her glasses. “Are you playing with that food or eating it?” she asked. I said I was eating. Finally, I finished and said, “Mummy, thank you,” as all well-brought-up Igbo children were supposed to after a meal. I had just stepped outside the carpeted dining area and onto the polished concrete floor of the passage when my stomach churned and recoiled and the garri and soup rushed up my throat.

“Go upstairs and rinse your mouth,” my mother said.

When I came down, Fide was cleaning up the watery yellowish mess, and I was sorry he had to and I was too disgusted to look. After I told my mother that I never ate garri before school, that on Saturdays I waited until nobody was looking to wrap my garri in a piece of paper and slip it into the dustbin, I expected her to scold me. But she muttered in Igbo, “You want hunger to kill you,” and then told me to get a Fanta from the fridge.

Years later, she asked me, “What does garri really do to you?” “It scratches my throat,” I told her, and she laughed. It became a standing line of family teasing. “Does this scratch your throat?” my brothers would ask. Following that afternoon, my mother had boiled yams, soft and white and crumbly, made for my lunch; I ate them dipped in palm oil. Sometimes she would come home with a few wraps of warm okpa, which remains my favorite food: a simple, orange-colored, steamed pie of white beans and palm oil that tastes best cooked in banana leaves. We didn’t make it at home, perhaps because it was not native to our part of Igboland. Or perhaps because those we bought on the roadside from the women who carried them in large basins on their heads were too good to surpass.

I wish I ate garri. It is important to the people I love: My late grandmother used to want to have garri three times a day. My brother’s idea of a perfect meal is pounded yam. My father once came home from a conference in Paris, and when I asked how it had gone he said that he had missed real food. In Igbo, another word for “swallow” is simply “food,” so that one might overhear a sentence like “The food was well pounded, but the soup was not tasty.” My brothers, with affectionate mockery, sometimes ask whether it is possible for a person who does not eat swallow to be authentically Igbo, Nigerian, African.

On New Year’s Day of the year I turned thirteen, we went to my Aunt Dede’s house for lunch. “Did you remember?” my mother asked my aunt while gesturing toward me. My aunt nodded. There was a small bowl of jollof rice, soft-cooked in an oily tomato sauce, for me. My brothers praised the onugbu soup—“Auntie, this is soup that you washed your hands well before cooking”—and I wished that I, too, could say something. Then my boisterous Auntie Rosa arrived, her wrapper always seeming to be just about to slip off her waist. After she had exchanged hugs with everyone, she settled down with her pounded yam and noticed that I was eating rice. “Why are you not eating food?” she asked in Igbo. I said I did not eat swallow. She smiled and said to my mother, “Oh, you know she is not like us local people. She is foreign.” ♦

~ From the New Yorker
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by angelempy(f): 10:39am On Nov 26, 2007
real nice story, and i guess some people also have dat experience but not urs trully.
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by jiddah: 11:13am On Nov 27, 2007
nice one!makes me remember when i was forced eat certain foods.

i think the story is coming out nicely
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by dot2002(m): 11:35am On Nov 27, 2007
simplicity, genius beckons
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by kay9(m): 1:42pm On Dec 17, 2007
Good 'un. I used to have the same experience too with yam and vegetable - in fact every thing with green vegetable. Darn things used to get stuck in throat, no kidding. in end, my mum started preparing separate meals for me whenever we had those things.
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by zukkie4eva(f): 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2008
I'm really loving dis girl. . . . simple story, nice narration.
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by ndubest(m): 9:59am On Jan 08, 2008
simple and practical

nice piece
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by eaz(f): 1:25pm On Jan 30, 2008
A well written story. Reminds me of my childhood. My grand mother called me Queen of England for not eating 'food'. Just developed an intense hatred for anything swallowable from the age of eleven till I was nineteen. Right now I do not still eat pounded yam or fufu. Chimamanda has a way of reminding us that were brought up in the east of those wonder years. Right now, I pity my child because I am in an intertribal marriage where I speak english everyday, live in Lagos which is synonymous with I do not stay at home, and there is no village to travel to during the holidays. I miss Enugu, I miss my 82 year old Grandma in Ogidi, who cooked and still cooks better than anyone I know. I regret the fact that my child can no longer play with other children unsupervised cause everyone is so afraid and paranoid. I miss those day of trekking from ilo ngwodo to chinua achebe's house and back to afo udo with my cousins unsupervised and very carefree. I am indeed sorry for my generation.
Re: Real Food By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie by pekkyn: 12:07pm On Jan 31, 2008
what a well natural written story. Thumbs up to the writer!!, I encourge Chimamanda to keep it up. The sky is her starting point.

(1) (Reply)

The Ticket: A Short Story / 100% Plagiarism Free Content For Your Blogs And Websites!!! / Want 2 Write

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.