Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? (4885 Views)

Paul Vs. Jesus's Teachings: Is There A Conflict? For serious bible scholars / Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 18, 2012
thehomer:
You have been mislead by your fellow creationists. This simply shows the sort of dishonest quote-mining that they do.
You're welcome to read this short article which clarifies the entire issue. You need to learn not to swallow whatever you come across from those creationists.

The guy is a special case. He remixes evolution, adds in a sprinkle of the big b@ng theory and tops it up with a large dose of "GOD did it".
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 8:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
Martian:

The guy is a special case. He remixes evolution, adds in a sprinkle of the big b@ng theory and tops it up with a large dose of "GOD did it".

That is something I find amusing. One can actually read up on these topics and try to have a relevant discussion instead they begin with such false information that refuting it without them first learning the basics is futile.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 18, 2012
thehomer:
That is something I find amusing. One can actually read up on these topics and try to have a relevant discussion instead they begin with such false information that refuting it without them first learning the basics is futile.

I think they just refuse to learn. There is a lot of misinformation out there but any reasonable and educated person can tell the difference between reasonable theories and outright lies unless their religious convictions stops them from doing so. It all adds up to fear. They are scared.

Scared of life. Scared of death. Scared of not existing. Scared of illusions. Scared of their own superstitions. And they refuse to believe that they have been hoodwinked from birth. "God JUST HAS TO exist"
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 9:49pm On Jun 18, 2012
thehomer:

You have been mislead by your fellow creationists. This simply shows the sort of dishonest quote-mining that they do.
You're welcome to read this short article which clarifies the entire issue. You need to learn not to swallow whatever you come across from those creationists.
Dude I have read one or two articles concerning this quote.. This article does not prove anything .. Did Dr. Patterson disprove the quote ? The writer of the article only sort to explain what the Dr. meant and in opinion ended up saying the same thing Dr. Patterson meant to say..

Like I keep saying there will never be " true transitional fossils" found that will prove the evolution theory the way we've been told because they do not exist period.. One life form did not evolve into another. It may appear that way as a result of similarities in form but that's because all life forms are designed by the same God, intelligence, Force or whatever you want to call it.. Every life form is unique and purposely created, no need for one to evolve into another...

Everything in this universe is created by thoughts and unique and purposely done.. And we are all co creators with God. There is nothing like fate or chance. We all are living the reality that we have created not by chance or fate..Once people begin to understand that they would stop blaming God or Satan for their misfortunes, plights and misgivings..
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 10:03pm On Jun 18, 2012
nyameke: Dude I have read one or two articles concerning this quote.. This article does not prove anything .. Did Dr. Patterson disprove the quote ? The writer of the article only sort to explain what the Dr. meant and in opinion ended up saying the same thing Dr. Patterson meant to say..

If you've actually understood what the Dr. meant, then you will understand that your fellow creationists were quote mining him. Dr. Patterson is the one who actually made the quote that was being misused.

nyameke:
Like I keep saying there will never be " true transitional fossils" found that will prove the evolution theory the way we've been told because they do not exist period.. One life form did not evolve into another. It may appear that way as a result of similarities in form but that's because all life forms are designed by the same God, intelligence, Force or whatever you want to call it.. Every life form is unique and purposely created, no need for one to evolve into another...

What do you think a transitional fossil is? And how old do you think the earth is?

nyameke:
Everything in this universe is created by thoughts and unique and purposely done.. And we are all co creators with God. There is nothing like fate or chance. We all are living the reality that we have created not by chance or fate..Once people begin to understand that they would stop blaming God or Satan for their misfortunes, plights and misgivings..

There is no fate or chance? If neither God nor Satan is to be blamed, then is God to be praised when things go right?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 10:08pm On Jun 18, 2012
Martian:

I think they just refuse to learn. There is a lot of misinformation out there but any reasonable and educated person can tell the difference between reasonable theories and outright lies unless their religious convictions stops them from doing so. It all adds up to fear. They are scared.

Scared of life. Scared of death. Scared of not existing. Scared of illusions. Scared of their own superstitions. And they refuse to believe that they have been hoodwinked from birth. "God JUST HAS TO exist"
No one is scared of nothing I know I'm not and there is a lot of people like me.. Im here to live and experience and will move on from this world when I want.. Physical death is an illusion..

Speaking of misinformation I think you and I know the misinformed are " atheist" but I know you will disagree.. A false mixed with some truth and sold as THe Truth does not make it true.. I always say there is a reason why rat poison is 99% food and only 1% poison.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 11:18pm On Jun 18, 2012
thehomer:

If you've actually understood what the Dr. meant, then you will understand that your fellow creationists were quote mining him. Dr. Patterson is the one who actually made the quote that was being misused.

What do you think a transitional fossil is? And how old do you think the earth is?

There is no fate or chance? If neither God nor Satan is to be blamed, then is God to be praised when things go right?
I'm using phone so will answer them numerically..
1. Well I don't know how other people mis uses that quote.. But the bigger picture is that most of the so called transitional fossils does no good to the theory of evolution ..

2. there is no need defining transitional fossils. I will leave that to you. But I will say this that none of the so called transitional fossils supports the gradual change mantra and I'm tired of hearing the famous because of imperfections of fossils record melody.( like I said I'm not into the back and forth evolution stuff anymore more )

I don't know how old the earth and I'm not about to speculate or get scientific on that question .. I know where you going with this so I will satisfy your curiosity. No the earth is not 6000 or 7000 yrs old.

3. And yes there is nothing like fate and chance because you create your own reality as a freewill being ..people attribute everything that happens to them to the devil or God because of ignorance.. ask yourself this If everything depends on God and the Devil, why do we even need to have a mind of our own at all? that's absurd and wrong thinking..
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 11:48pm On Jun 18, 2012
nyameke:
I'm using phone so will answer them numerically..
1. Well I don't know how other people mis uses that quote.. But the bigger picture is that most of the so called transitional fossils does no good to the theory of evolution ..

People misuse the quote when they use it the way you did in your response because it implied the opposite of what the original person was saying.
What do you mean when you say transitional fossils do no good to the theory of evolution? I mean, if these fossils were available, they would be evidence that evolution occurred.

nyameke:
2. there is no need defining transitional fossils. I will leave that to you. But I will say this that none of the so called transitional fossils supports the gradual change mantra and I'm tired of hearing the famous because of imperfections of fossils record melody.( like I said I'm not into the back and forth evolution stuff anymore more )

I think there is a need to have an idea of what transitional fossils are in order to claim that there are none of them. The rarity of fossilization is true whether or not you like it.

nyameke:
I don't know how old the earth and I'm not about to speculate or get scientific on that question .. I know where you going with this so I will satisfy your curiosity. No the earth is not 6000 or 7000 yrs old.

I'm not asking you to speculate, I'm asking you for you best estimate of how old the earth is not how old you don't think it is. I didn't say the earth was 6000 or 7000 years old. And saying that doesn't mean you don't think it is 100,000 years old. If you don't wish to go scientific on that question, then what are you willing to go scientific on?

nyameke:
3. And yes there is nothing like fate and chance because you create your own reality as a freewill being ..people attribute everything that happens to them to the devil or God because of ignorance.. ask yourself this If everything depends on God and the Devil, why do we even need to have a mind of our own at all? that's absurd and wrong thinking..

Can you create your reality where gravity is absent yet you continue having this conversation?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by UyiIredia(m): 11:56pm On Jun 18, 2012
thehomer:

Here's another side of the story for you to consider: http://asa.chm.colostate.edu/archive/evolution/199912/0020.html
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 6:00am On Jun 19, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Here's another side of the story for you to consider: http://asa.chm.colostate.edu/archive/evolution/199912/0020.html

What do you think it shows that is different from the talk origins article?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: No one is scared of nothing I know I'm not and there is a lot of people like me.. Im here to live and experience and will move on from this world when I want.. Physical death is an illusion..

Yes, you're scared. "physical death is not an illusion", and conciouness won't survive the death of your brain. Youre not moving anywhere this life is all you have, stop thinking that you will go and be a slave of some ridiculous Jewish coccept. They enslaved your ancestors once with that same story, time to come back to reality.

nyameke:
Speaking of misinformation I think you and I know the misinformed are " atheist" but I know you will disagree.. A false mixed with some truth and sold as THe Truth does not make it true.. I always say there is a reason why rat poison is 99% food and only 1% poison.

Better to be an atheist who at least tries to learn new stuff everyday unlike you who has swallowed the rat poison of Christianity while holding your stomach and begging for the antidote from the idiot who fed you the poison.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 2:28pm On Jun 19, 2012
thehomer:

People misuse the quote when they use it the way you did in your response because it implied the opposite of what the original person was saying.
What do you mean when you say transitional fossils do no good to the theory of evolution? I mean, if these fossils were available, they would be evidence that evolution occurred.

I

I think there is a need to have an idea of what transitional fossils are in order to claim that there are none of them. The rarity of fossilization is true whether or not you like it.

I'm not asking you to speculate, I'm asking you for you best estimate of how old the earth is not how old you don't think it is. I didn't say the earth was 6000 or 7000 years old. And saying that doesn't mean you don't think it is 100,000 years old. If you don't wish to go scientific on that question, then what are you willing to go scientific on?

Can you create your reality where gravity is absent yet you continue having this conversation?
1. I don't see where I misused the quote but you're more than welcome to show me. His whole lresponse letter speaks for itself...
It does no good because instead of proving evolution it is doing the opposite and most honest paleotologists and evolutionists know this. The theory of evolution is a dead science my friend. But let's entertain your statement for a second . You said " if these fossils were available it would prove that evolution occurred " Any reason why they are not available and what is not available?

2. I have already told you I don't know and that's a fact.. Even geologists don't know.. saying could be 4.5 or 4.4 or 4.6 doesn't make it factual. The bible doesn't say anything and science at this point is also speculating so I don't know..If you know kindly tell me.

3. Well if there are different versions of transitional fossils go ahead and state it I'm all ears..And did you say rarity of fossils? How so

4.That's a very silly question and this question could be answered a number of ways depends on what you believe you as a man is capable of.
The simple answer to your question though is No. If you don't have the knowledge, awareness and workings of the metaphysical and you try to defy the laws of this physical realm YOU DIE or disengage from this focus.

This question is typical of minds like you though. I talk about creating your own reality and boom you come up with this question lol. Whats your reason for that question again?

Btw before I ask you a couple of questions which of the two versions of the evolution theory do you support?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 3:11pm On Jun 19, 2012
Martian:

Yes, you're scared. "physical death is not an illusion", and conciouness won't survive the death of your brain. Youre not moving anywhere this life is all you have, stop thinking that you will go and be a slave of some ridiculous Jewish coccept. They enslaved your ancestors once with that same story, time to come back to reality.
lol calm down son. I repeat physical death is an illusion. The real you is Spirit. In other words you my friend is a spirit having a human experience. Your body is like a vehicle and when you disengage or " die", your spirit the real you moves to the metaphysical realm. If you have experienced out of body experience you would have an idea of what I'm saying but we all know that's not going to happen to you.
( I said that because everything that happens in reality is based on beliefs. If you don't believe you don't experience because you create your own reality as long as you're here).. btw what is reality to you since you brought it up.

Better to be an atheist who at least tries to learn new stuff everyday unlike you who has swallowed the rat poison of Christianity while holding your stomach and begging for the antidote from the idiot who fed you the poison.
Excuse me. But your ignorant my friend but I will let you enlighten me about your new stuffs. Tell me some of the stuff you learning so I may also learn.. So let's talk tell me why you dislike Christianity and chose atheism. We may learn something from each other
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Kay17: 6:10pm On Jun 19, 2012
What is unscientific about evolution??
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke: lol calm down son.

I'm copacetic.

nyameke:
I repeat physical death is an illusion.

You're going to die and it won't be an illusion. lol

nyameke:
The real you is Spirit. In other words you my friend is a spirit having a human experience. Your body is like a vehicle and when you disengage or " die", your spirit the real you moves to the metaphysical realm. If you have experienced out of body experience you would have an idea of what I'm saying but we all know that's not going to happen to you.

The real you is an "unembodied" leprechaun which resides in your chest cavity. Your body is like a biological space suit and when you disengage, the mothership from the contstellation Z11-88*9 will send a lightspeed traveling pod to retrieve you and transport you to another world where you will inhabit another biological body suit. If you have experienced the Chakalozoid vision, you would have an idea of what I'm saying but we all know that's not going to happen to you.

nyameke:
( I said that because everything that happens in reality is based on beliefs. If you don't believe you don't experience because you create your own reality as long as you're here).. btw what is reality to you since you brought it up.

You don't create your reality, you create your own values. Reality is objective and exists with or without your consciouness. How you choose to perceive and embellish it is your business. How you choose to live your life in it, is also your business and your freedom is only constrained by the social pact of civility men have choosen in order to live in peace with each other.
What men perceive to be freedom is also relative, but the only objective fact is reality itself and it's not based on anybody's beliefs. People are born, they live and they die. That's reality. Whatever else you tell yourself is your business. Call physical death an illusion till your face turn blue, it won't make it true.

nyameke:
Excuse me. But your ignorant my friend but I will let you enlighten me about your new stuffs.

lmao

nyameke:
Tell me some of the stuff you learning so I may also learn.. So let's talk tell me why you dislike Christianity and chose atheism. We may learn something from each other

What makes you think that jewish mythology is historical fact?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2012
nyameke:
1. I don't see where I misused the quote but you're more than welcome to show me. His whole lresponse letter speaks for itself...
It does no good because instead of proving evolution it is doing the opposite and most honest paleotologists and evolutionists know this. The theory of evolution is a dead science my friend. But let's entertain your statement for a second . You said " if these fossils were available it would prove that evolution occurred " Any reason why they are not available and what is not available?

You misused it in thinking that the implication of the speaker was that there are no transitional fossils.
The fossils are available and constitute one of the lines of evidence that evolution occurred.

nyameke:
2. I have already told you I don't know and that's a fact.. Even geologists don't know.. saying could be 4.5 or 4.4 or 4.6 doesn't make it factual. The bible doesn't say anything and science at this point is also speculating so I don't know..If you know kindly tell me.

I'm asking for your best estimate. Why are you suddenly afraid of giving an estimate? If I asked you for your age, you could give me just the years or the months years and days or you could give me the answer in hours. Simply present the best estimate of the age of the earth that you accept. Even if science is speculating, simply use the best source of information you have to say what you think.

nyameke:
3. Well if there are different versions of transitional fossils go ahead and state it I'm all ears..And did you say rarity of fossils? How so

I ask you a simple question and you just dance away? What is wrong with you? I'm asking you what you think transitional fossils are to see if your idea of it actually matches the scientific concept.
What do you mean by "how so"? If I said diamonds are rare, would you be asking the same question?

nyameke:
4.That's a very silly question and this question could be answered a number of ways depends on what you believe you as a man is capable of.
The simple answer to your question though is No. If you don't have the knowledge, awareness and workings of the metaphysical and you try to defy the laws of this physical realm YOU DIE or disengage from this focus.

This is a very silly response. Do you have the knowledge, awareness and workings of the metaphysical for you to go around creating your own reality all over the place?

nyameke:
This question is typical of minds like you though. I talk about creating your own reality and boom you come up with this question lol. Whats your reason for that question again?

The reason is that you're talking about creating your own reality. You sound as though you're suffering from a delusion of grandeur to be thinking that you make your own reality. I'm just trying to decide one way or another.

nyameke:
Btw before I ask you a couple of questions which of the two versions of the evolution theory do you support?

What are the two versions you're talking about? The last time I checked, there was only one theory of evolution.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 8:01pm On Jun 19, 2012
Martian:

I'm copacetic.
well glad to know

You're going to die and it won't be an illusion. lol
lol I actually chuckled on that ignorance..I will move on from this world when I'm ready trust me on that..

The real you is an "unembodied" leprechaun which resides in your chest cavity. Your body is like a biological space suit and when you disengage, the mothership from the contstellation Z11-88*9 will send a lightspeed traveling pod to retrieve you and transport you to another world where you will inhabit another biological body suit. If you have experienced the Chakalozoid vision, you would have an idea of what I'm saying but we all know that's not going to happen to you.
goodluck with that.

You don't create your reality, you create your own values. Reality is objective and exists with or without your consciouness. How you choose to perceive and embellish it is your business. How you choose to live your life in it, is also your business and your freedom is only constrained by the social pact of civility men have choosen in order to live in peace with each other.
What men perceive to be freedom is also relative, but the only objective fact is reality itself and it's not based on anybody's beliefs. People are born, they live and they die. That's reality. Whatever else you tell yourself is your business. Call physical death an illusion till your face turn blue, it won't make it true.
yes you create your own reality through your beliefs whether consciously or unconsciously. Every experience that you ever had was created by your thoughts/mind my friend. What you have to know is that reality is both objective and subjective..And yes the objective is governed by the physical world but know that even the physical world is governed by a higher reality.
As for Subjective reality, it is the aspect of reality that you have immediate and direct control over because it is made up by your thoughts and interpretations of your experiences. It is the inner world of your mind. This reality can be shaped influenced and transformed by you.

Quantum physics states that everything in the most minute level is actually pure energy that is conscious, intelligent and living. This energy is directed and governed by consciousness itself. Therefore the physical laws of the universe are actually governed by the mental laws of consciousness. The physical is ruled by the mental or spiritual ..

Your perception of things is based on your core beliefs. Everything is based on beliefs. You are what you think. Events are manifesting In your life right now based on past thoughts. Your past thoughts created your present condition and your present thoughts will create your future reality.

What makes you think that jewish mythology is historical fact?
what makes you think it is not..
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 9:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
thehomer:

You misused it in thinking that the implication of the speaker was that there are no transitional fossils.
The fossils are available and constitute one of the lines of evidence that evolution occurred.
Dude you and I know unless, you blind to the truth that, there are no true transitional fossils. His statements spoke for itself the after effect and the back and forth was all to save face.. Can you explain to me what he implied by " There is not one such fossil for which one might make a watertight argument."?..While at it can you also tell me about any found transitional fossils that proves the theory of revolution. I'm waiting

Im asking for your best estimate. Why are you suddenly afraid of giving an estimate? If I asked you for your age, you could give me just the years or the months years and days or you could give me the answer in hours. Simply present the best estimate of the age of the earth that you accept. Even if science is speculating, simply use the best source of information you have to say what you think.
you're not making sense and blowing air. My answer was I don't know and if you know o how do tell me. so why the going in circles?

I ask you a simple question and you just dance away? What is wrong with you? I'm asking you what you think transitional fossils are to see if your idea of it actually matches the scientific concept.
What do you mean by "how so"? If I said diamonds are rare, would you be asking the same question?
lol keep playing dumb. You stated about the rarity of fossils and I ask you how so and that's the best you come up with? Is that rarity that you speak of the reason why there is not one credible " transitional fossil" found to prove the theory? Because the last time I checked there has been a lot of fossils found since the days of Darwin.

This is a very silly response. Do you have the knowledge, awareness and workings of the metaphysical for you to go around creating your own reality all over the place?
yes I have knowledge of them though not all of them..what you seem not to be aware of though is that whether you have knowledge of the metaphysical or not you still create your own reality in this life.

he reason is that you're talking about creating your own reality. You sound as though you're suffering from a delusion of grandeur to be thinking that you make your own reality. I'm just trying to decide one way or another.

my brother there is nothing delusion of grandeur about what I'm saying it is what it is.. whether atheist Christian Islam etc we all create our experiences whether aware or not. That's one secret hidden from the masses nothing is fate. You call it fate because you don't know.

What are the two versions you're talking about? The last time I checked, there was only one theory of evolution.
well since evolutionists want so much for the theory to be true they seem to be always shifting the goal post.At first it was the main or classical one , the Modern Synthesis or Neo-Darwinian but Since the fossil record does not show tiny changes between one type of creature and another, a few of your kind proposed a modification to the main evolution theory. It says that change occurred by occasional leaps (punctuated equilibrium), not gradually. Im sure you already know this though ..

This is my last response on evolution to you but we can continue on other stuff if you want.. but I'm going to ask this because I know the theory clearly defies these two laws of science. Do you think the evolution theory defy these two laws of science ? The second law of thermodynamics and the law of biogenesis? And if not why
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Kay17: 10:16pm On Jun 19, 2012
Mixing religion with science will always cause confusion and disaster. Cos two entirely different system are thrown into the same pot.

A conflict is inevitably. Liberal theists have little problems with reconciling scientifc findings with their faith, unlike the creationists and IDers.

The theory of evolution does recognize the tree of life is incomplete but it patches up, every piece/fossil is instrumental in setting the right picture. Thus every fossil is transitional. Changes also take time, creationists who claim they don't see dogs transforming to donkeys are simply barking at the wrong tree.

As complexity in life, evolution owes that to the mechanism of natural selection and a gradual build-up.

Nobody is claiming evolution is an absolute truth, but its a goddamn good explanation.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by judebeyou: 10:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
As for me, this argument is not clear enough to argue about. I assume we all know that science is science, when I say science is science it's because science has a universally agreed method. Per contra, When look into religion, we could see that there is no particular method or belief system (different religious groups). I am suggesting that the argument could have been more concise if we compare science to a particular religion. Let's say, science and christianity.
Thanks.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by nyameke: 11:20pm On Jun 19, 2012
Kay 17: Mixing religion with science will always cause confusion and disaster. Cos two entirely different system are thrown into the same pot.

A conflict is inevitably. Liberal theists have little problems with reconciling scientifc findings with their faith, unlike the creationists and IDers.

The theory of evolution doies recognize the tree of life is incomplete but it patches up, every piece/fossil is instrumental in setting the right picture. Thus every fossil is transitional. Changes also take time, creationists who claim they don't see dogs transforming to donkeys are simply barking at the wrong tree.

As complexity in life, evolution owes that to the mechanism of natural selection and a gradual build-up.

Nobody is claiming evolution is an absolute truth, but its a goddamn good explanation.
lol I can't tell you the number of times I have heard that said in different ways in defense of evolution .. Dude there are a lot of goddamn good explanations about alot of things including scientific theories, it doesn't make them true. False sold as truth repeatedly doesn't make it true.. And oh a lot of ignorant evolutionists consider the theory as absolute truth. The theory might have made sense when it was first published in 1859 but not today.. it is a dead science and they know but so many people are benefiting from it that they refuse to take it to where it belongs, the trash can..

There is no fossil evidence to support the theory that life emerged from nonliving chemicals, or that life gradually underwent a series of changes until new and different species were formed.

The bottom line is evolutionists assume evolution is true , and then write endlessly about when and where it happened rates and lineages etc but if macroevolution is physically impossible in the real world, which it is, then all the rest and bla bla is fantasy..

Truth is the only evolution is evolution of consciousness.. I'm done with this evolution thing sef.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:36am On Jun 20, 2012
Science and religion will forever remain in conflict because they are both irreconcilably different in their fundamentals. Science is a never-ending journey of discovery(of the mechanics of the natural universe), while religion sees itself as having discovered the end point of that journey(GOD), and thus, there is nothing more to discover. This is fundamental difference that will keep religion and science at each other's throat for all eternity.

Spiritual disciplines, on the other hand, harmonize perfectly with science because they are both on the journey of discovery and growth. The scientific methods take care of the outer natural world, while the spiritual disciplines takes care of the inner landscape. Merge the two together and the human race would have an infinitely powerful tool of evolution of the self. The merging is going on right now, as we speak.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Kay17: 8:40am On Jun 20, 2012
^^ theories on the origin of life are separate from evolutionary theory. Theories on the Origin of Life don't demand a fossil record. Your argument against fossil record for origin of life is a straw argument.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:44am On Jun 20, 2012
Are you okay, kay? Where did you see me argue about fossil records and the theories of the origin of life in my post? I care not about such debates and i have never participated in them.
Kay 17: ^^ theories on the origin of life are separate from evolutionary theory. Theories on the Origin of Life don't demand a fossil record. Your argument against fossil record for origin of life is a straw argument.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Kay17: 10:24am On Jun 20, 2012
LOL! Sorry Jen, I was refering to Nyanmeke
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Jenwitemi(m): 11:15am On Jun 20, 2012
Soright, kay. smiley
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 20, 2012
“Science purifies religion from error and superstition...
Religion purifies science from prideful idolatry and false absolutes.”

JP II
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by UyiIredia(m): 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2012
thehomer:

Can you point to three peer reviewed articles that support this claim of intelligent design?
You were unable to present any arguments because you kept on committing a fallacy. You refused to make the necessary corrections there and you've come here to continue with the very same fallacy.
Do yourself a favour and read this article on Natural Selection. Then see if the question you're asking is relevant.

I won'T mention the articles now due to time-constraints. However I would refer you to the book Signature In The Cell & Signature of Controversy (a reply to the previous book's critics) by Stephen Meyer. You did not mention the fallacy I made & how I made it. You have repeatedly referred me to that article and my reply has been that it is a a bogus concept based on a supposed ability that Nature doesn't have OR where it has it is grossly exaggerated.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by UyiIredia(m): 12:51pm On Jun 20, 2012
thehomer:

What do you think it shows that is different from the talk origins article?

That Theunissen misrepresented Carl Weiland. BTW Have you read it ? Do you intend to read it ?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by UyiIredia(m): 1:03pm On Jun 20, 2012
thehomer:

This is more misunderstanding. This is the sort of ambiguity that intelligent design proponents use to confuse people.
DNA and RNA are molecules. A code is an abstract concept. Humans have been able to understand the way those molecules work to the extent that they're able to work out the rules and represent them in various ways.
What is the point of presenting another naturally occurring code?

@ bolded This is akin to saying the software on your computer are mere magnetic polarities (which is the physical expression of a code). Molecules is also an abstract concept that's why its ambigous and maps to many physical materials e.g water, salt, ozone etc. BTW the method of working out the relationship is by linguistic analysis which only goes ,more to show that it is a code. Agreed. the DNA is a molecule but, and this is very critical. its arrangement is not haphazard but according to very precise means if not the DNA molecule itself becomes useless. Unfortunately, many atheists deny the simple fact that the DNA is a physical object used to encode the body's structure since it can be used as a basis for ID theories.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2012
nyameke: Dude you and I know unless, you blind to the truth that, there are no true transitional fossils. His statements spoke for itself the after effect and the back and forth was all to save face.. Can you explain to me what he implied by " There is not one such fossil for which one might make a watertight argument."?..While at it can you also tell me about any found transitional fossils that proves the theory of revolution. I'm waiting

What he meant was that one cannot point at one particular fossil and say with complete certainty that one extant species descended from it rather than one of its cousins that may not be found. That is why he specified that there isn't one such fossil. But, if one considered the fossils together, one can see the patterns that emerge. You seem to think that what he says means that there are no fossils that show features present within a certain species and another.
Simply read the link I posted. It is clearly stated.
This is why I asked you to clearly say what you think a transitional fossil is.

nyameke:
you're not making sense and blowing air. My answer was I don't know and if you know o how do tell me. so why the going in circles?

You cannot simply say you don't know and leave it at that. That would be demonstrating extreme laziness. Now, to see just how far you're willing to take this laziness, I'll give you some information and see how you respond.
The best evidence tells us that the earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old. Do you agree with this?

nyameke:
lol keep playing dumb. You stated about the rarity of fossils and I ask you how so and that's the best you come up with? Is that rarity that you speak of the reason why there is not one credible " transitional fossil" found to prove the theory? Because the last time I checked there has been a lot of fossils found since the days of Darwin.

Fossils are actually rare just as diamonds are rare. Diamonds and other precious gems have been found but that doesn't mean they aren't rare so quit being so dense. If you don't understand, simply look up what the word "rare" means. And simply say what you think a transitional fossil is. You need to know what it is in order to decide on whether or not they exist.

nyameke:
yes I have knowledge of them though not all of them..what you seem not to be aware of though is that whether you have knowledge of the metaphysical or not you still create your own reality in this life.

If you create your own reality, then why aren't you able to create the reality I spoke about? You have the knowledge so what stops you?

nyameke:
my brother there is nothing delusion of grandeur about what I'm saying it is what it is.. whether atheist Christian Islam etc we all create our experiences whether aware or not. That's one secret hidden from the masses nothing is fate. You call it fate because you don't know.

Don't you also call it fate? There is a difference between one's experience and reality in general. You need to actually sit back and think of the difference.
Your inability to understand that controlling the whole of reality is beyond your mind and powers actually bears significant resemblance to having a delusion of grandeur.

nyameke:
well since evolutionists want so much for the theory to be true they seem to be always shifting the goal post.At first it was the main or classical one , the Modern Synthesis or Neo-Darwinian but Since the fossil record does not show tiny changes between one type of creature and another, a few of your kind proposed a modification to the main evolution theory. It says that change occurred by occasional leaps (punctuated equilibrium), not gradually. Im sure you already know this though ..

Your post already has a false assumption about the fossils and you're also demonstrating a certain ignorance of how science works. Neither the concept of punctuated equilibrium nor the idea of gradualism implies that the theory is wrong. They aren't two theories of evolution. You simply demonstrate more of your ignorance of the topic.

nyameke:
This is my last response on evolution to you but we can continue on other stuff if you want.. but I'm going to ask this because I know the theory clearly defies these two laws of science. Do you think the evolution theory defy these two laws of science ? The second law of thermodynamics and the law of biogenesis? And if not why

No I don't think it defies those two laws of science.
It simply doesn't defy them. In order for me to answer you better, I need to know how you think it defies them because based on your previous posts, you don't seem to understand what you're trying to criticize.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 6:51pm On Jun 21, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

I won'T mention the articles now due to time-constraints. However I would refer you to the book Signature In The Cell & Signature of Controversy (a reply to the previous book's critics) by Stephen Meyer. You did not mention the fallacy I made & how I made it. You have repeatedly referred me to that article and my reply has been that it is a a bogus concept based on a supposed ability that Nature doesn't have OR where it has it is grossly exaggerated.

I already did that in our previous discussion on this very topic. You didn't rectify it then and you're committing it again.
You cannot mention three articles due to time constraints? I'm not asking you to read them but simply provide a place where I can see these articles for myself. This is a bogus excuse.
What are the strongest arguments in the book that counter the idea of natural selection?
Did you even read the article and understand what it says before you try to dismiss it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It A Sin For A Born-again Christian To Watch Wrestling Show? / Is Lust Wrong Even In Marriage? / Catholic Church Compiled The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.