Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,751 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? (1074 Views)

Is It Right For A Christian Wife To Say Things Like These During Sex? / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Christians: Can a Non-Christian Go to Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 26, 2007
2 Corinthians 6:14 declares, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?” While this passage does not specifically mention marriage, it most definitely has implications for marriage. The passage goes on to say, “What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people." Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you” (2 Corinthians 6:15-17).
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 26, 2007
I hate it when people spread discrimnation and stigmatization in the name of religion. I wonder some times, the same God made us all, why would God want to tear us apart
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2007
aisha2:

I hate it when people spread discrimnation and stigmatization in the name of religion. I wonder some times, the same God made us all, why would God want to tear us apart

aisha2 . . . i also dislike dishonesty and people who attempt to wave the "God made us all" card as an excuse for their own deceit.

This is what the bible says about this very topic: 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

You are absolutely free to go cry "discrimination" to Jesus Christ, i can assure you we didnt write that verse into the bible. That is if indeed you ever read that portion of the bible at all.

If the "same God made us all" why did He bother to make a clear distinction between believers and unbelievers? Why didnt he just come and say we would all go to heaven?

You ask - why would God want to tear us apart? But that same God says in 2 Cor 6:15-17 Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you”
Do we then accuse God of discrimination and stigmatization?
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Nov 26, 2007
aisha2:

Aisha, this has nothing to do with stigmatization or discrimination or we would say you are guilty of the same in the fact that you will not go out there and just marry anything that moves but will actually PICK what you will settle with and what you can not stand. Not being equally yoked with that that is not for what you are for is simple human reasoning. Even if religion is not involved, you and I do that on a daily basis. If you do not understand what anything means ask and if you are itching to throw claims about, make sure you yourself are not going to have to eat your words later on.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 27, 2007
You have all not answered my question. Christainity to me is practical and simple, the greatest commandment in Christainity is love, Would God who commaned us to love each other now make us hate each other.
I am not into all the Bible quoting stuff, i am practical, I live my life as a christain by showing Gods love to people i meet, not by quoting scriptures to support or justify discrimniating against people.
Discrimination everywhere, you can't get a job or something because you are a different race or religion, The people who have influencved me and shown me a lot of love in my life are mostly Moslems.
I am a Christain a Baptised one with one of these orthodox churches but am not a Hypocryte, I will not serve a God who will discrimniate, that will mean everything i tot God stands for is a lie. However i know my God, i know who i serve and i know He is Love and has no place for hate or discrimination, people have turned Him to a Political tool to spread their wicked nature and destruction
My late mother is my role model, she loved everyone, she never believed anyone is bad, even when they hurt her. She always said we are hypocrytes, people go to Church and even Mosque as if there is no tomorrow but how can we love God who we have not seen when we do not even love one another.
If i have all the world knowledge and have no love , i am nothing, everything will cease and fail but love will never fail. You can Quote all the Bible verses in the world but if you cannot love people who hurt you then you have done nothing with your life. 1st Corithains verse 2 and 8
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Nov 27, 2007
aisha2:

You have all not answered my question. Christainity to me is practical and simple, the greatest commandment in Christainity is love, Would God who commaned us to love each other now make us hate each other.
I am not into all the Bible quoting stuff, i am practical, I live my life as a christain by showing Gods love to people i meet, not by quoting scriptures to support or justify discrimniating against people.
Discrimination everywhere, you can't get a job or something because you are a different race or religion, The people who have influencved me and shown me a lot of love in my life are mostly Moslems.
I am a Christain a Baptised one with one of these orthodox churches but am not a Hypocryte, I will not serve a God who will discrimniate, that will mean everything i tot God stands for is a lie. However i know my God, i know who i serve and i know He is Love and has no place for hate or discrimination, people have turned Him to a Political tool to spread their wicked nature and destruction
My late mother is my role model, she loved everyone, she never believed anyone is bad, even when they hurt her. She always said we are hypocrytes, people go to Church and even Mosque as if there is no tomorrow but how can we love God who we have not seen when we do not even love one another.
If i have all the world knowledge and have no love , i am nothing, everything will cease and fail but love will never fail. You can Quote all the Bible verses in the world but if you cannot love people who hurt you then you have done nothing with your life. 1st Corithains verse 2 and 8

Christianity is practical and simple Only if you are really walking according to God's word and Not according to your idea of how it ought to be based on what you think. , remeber, lean not on your own understanding. No where in the Bible does it say that LOVE ONE ANOTHER means MARRY anyone you see or find@Aisha.

Again please read what is written and apply it to your own life to get better understanding of the message. Do you walk around dating any man that comes up to you OR do you discriminate when you want to date or marry?? @Aisha. If you say you do not, then you are a hypocrite and nothing more. If you say you do then you may actually have some idea of what this might mean.

Love your neigbour is not same as bed with your neighbour. Love your neighbour is not same as commit sin with your neighbour. Love your neighbour is not same as lie so you can have favour in the eyes of your neighbour.

From the very beginning, believers are told to set themselves apart from the world. Why is this one strange to you?? Be ye holy, even as God is holy. Do not mingle with the world. Even Jesus himself set himself apart from those who are not of God. He made sure to point out the evil doers. Why is this different for you?? What makes you think that not marrying someone who is not of God means you HATE THE PERSON?? isn't that a rather naive way of looking at the world?? Basically, that would imply the one you choose to marry as a woman is the one you love and all other men you did not choose, you HATED?? Come on @Aisha. I am sure you are a wise woman and can figure out that even the word of God does not cancel itself out. Just cause you are commanded to marry those that are of God and not those that are of the world does not mean you HATE those you do not choose to bed.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2007
If loving people without discriminating makes me a hypocryte them am proud to be one. Why should i only love people who are a certain tribe or religion, did those people fall from heaven, Nobody has the right to define who i should love.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Nov 27, 2007
aisha2:

If loving people without discriminating makes me a hypocryte them am proud to be one. Why should i only love people who are a certain tribe or religion, did those people fall from heaven, Nobody has the right to define who i should love.

Notice how you are going on and on and on but yet to answer the question I have asked you twice now @Aisha. What has LOVE thy neighbour to do with Marrying a Christian in this case. Explain to me how those two work together please so I understand how you apply it in your own life there @Aisha
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 27, 2007
Why should there be a barrier on whom i should love or marry.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Nov 27, 2007
aisha2:

Again, you still have not answered my question still. When you pick a man to marry. Do you  Marry any man who walks across your path or up to you or do you PICK the man to marry based on advantages the one you choose has over the others or not ?? @Aisha

What God do you worship?? @Aisha. Tell me so I can find the right answers to your question please!!
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by olabowale(m): 9:14pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Aisha: Change your name, please. Aisha is the name of a great Muslim
woman! Since you are a Christian, take a christian name, from the Zillions
that are available! I need to know who is a Muslim and who is not. You are
deceiving us by your name.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Purist(m): 9:53pm On Nov 27, 2007
aisha2:

Christainity to me is practical and simple, the greatest commandment in Christainity is love, Would God who commaned us to love each other now make us hate each other.

Brilliant! I couldn't have said it any better.  I concur, absolutely! cool
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 27, 2007
aisha2:

You have all not answered my question.

here we go then:

aisha2:

Christainity to me is practical and simple,

Very true ONLY if you TRULY understand that christianity is a lot more than just following moral codes of behaviour.

aisha2:

the greatest commandment in Christainity is love, Would God who commaned us to love each other now make us hate each other.

Perfectly correct! The greatest commandment is love . . . infact check this out 1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

aisha2:

I am not into all the Bible quoting stuff, i am practical,

You cannot claim to be a christian . . . shun the word of Christ which is God Himself (John 1) and claim to be "practical".
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Any "practicality" outside the bible is nothing but self righteousness . . . guess what the bible calls your type of "practicals"? Filthy rags!

aisha2:

I live my life as a christain by showing Gods love to people i meet, not by quoting scriptures to support or justify discrimniating against people.

1. What do you understand by "God's love"? Even a shango worshipper can claim to be "showing love to people" they meet. What makes "God's love" unique outside His word?

2. Sadly too many people with a lack of understanding of biblical principles, too many people excusing their disobedience and hypocrisy by hiding under the umbrella of the scriptures discriminating against people. The bible differentiates "people" into two groups - believers and unbelievers.
We are enjoined to show love to unbelievers and even PRAY FOR OUR ENEMIES. But the same bible is very explicit about yoking yourself unequally with unbelievers. It is this SPIRITUAL mixing that Christ is against.
The bible is not saying you should refuse to speak to your neighbour simply because he is muslim.

aisha2:

and what has the above got to do with the bible? Anywhere the bible says you shld refuse people jobs based on their religion?

aisha2:

I am a Christain a Baptised one with one of these orthodox churches but am not a Hypocryte, I will not serve a God who will discrimniate, that will mean everything i tot God stands for is a lie.

Read the bible, apostle Paul had a more impressive religious CV. But until he met Jesus on the way to damascus he was no more than a moral unbeliever.
God stands for love BUT does not stand for lukewarmness.

aisha2:

However i know my God, i know who i serve and i know He is Love and has no place for hate or discrimination, people have turned Him to a Political tool to spread their wicked nature and destruction

You certainly do not know this God if you don't understand what He meant to convey with regards to unequally yoking yourself with an individual. A person who willfully goes into a marriage with another who DENIES the Lordship of Jesus Christ does NOT know the God of the bible even though they may pretend to be.

aisha2:

To start with Jesus Christ SHOULD be the only role model of he who calls Himself a follower of Christ.
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

My dear, even your mother could not have been more loving. To your statement in highlights . . . those words are not even ur mothers, they are taken straight from the bible . . . 1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

aisha2:

Madam, you are mixing things up completely. There is a difference between praying for your enemies and being unequally yoked with unbelievers. Until you can completely understand this concept you will forever continue to decieve yourself.

Let us look at just 3 examples of biblical marriages:

Gen 26: 34 And Esau was forty years old when he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite:
  35 Which were a grief of mind unto Isaac and to Rebekah.

Why would Esau's marriage to two seemingly "nice" women be a grief of mind to Isaac and Rebekah?

Gen 24: 3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:
  4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

Why would Abraham make Eliezer swear that He would not choose a wife for Isaac from among the very people with whom they lived? Was Abraham being discriminatory and hateful?

Genesis 28:6 When Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob, and sent him away to Padanaram, to take him a wife from thence; and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughers of Canaan;

why would Isaac strictly command Jacob NOT to take a wife of the daughters of Canaan?

Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Hmmmmmmm Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Hmmmmm Can two become one flesh except their spirits be agreed? Aisha2, the choice is yours. . .
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 27, 2007
aisha2:

Nne, there is no barrier at all. Here is the problem though . . . the God i serve does not bless unwholesome relationships built on wilfull disobedience to His word.

Again the choice is urs.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Nov 27, 2007
I am still waiting for you to answer my question @Aisha. Cause I would like to understand how your idea of free love passes into marriage setting. How you make this about love your neighbour and what not when it has nothing to do with that at all in this setting but about being able to choose to right spouse.
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by BlackMamba(m): 11:00pm On Nov 27, 2007
NO.

Likewise, Amadioha dictates, as an Igbo man, I must marry an Igbo girl. grin
Re: Is It Right For A Christian To Date Or Marry A Non-christian? by Kobojunkie: 2:07am On Dec 05, 2007
Still waiting for the answer to my questions ,

(1) (Reply)

What Is Holy Spirit And What Is The Holy Ghost? / A Christian And Inspirational Forum For Everyone / Is Obama The Antichrist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.