Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,058 members, 7,814,640 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? (9641 Views)

How To Solve China Android Tablet Pc Hanging On Android Logo When Booting / Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? / Good Sites For Downloading Free Full Version Of Fashion Designing Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 19, 2012
With the advent of Tablet PC's and various computer hardware manufacturers joining the band wagon. Microsoft being the latest of them with it's "surface" tablet computers.
Seems buying or owning a laptop isn't any longer the in thing.
I personally no longer use my laptop. It packed up and i didn't even bother to fix it. I hope to replace it with a tablet PC.
So what do you think? Is it no longer fashionable to own or use a laptop for business and personal use. What are the pros and cons of using a Tablet PC?

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Maleeq(m): 10:13am On Jun 19, 2012
Call me old fashion. but I don't fancy the tablets. Perhaps my line of work doesn't have a need for it.

Surely, the latops aren't being phased out anytime soon. For mobility and ease, the tablets may be winners, but for mobility and power, its always a laptop that wins the day!

2 Likes

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by iwakunbaba: 2:14pm On Jun 19, 2012
All tablets are designed on laptops, it realy depends on wat u do. If u r into just data entry then a tablet will do but when u need to do real work eg animation, graphic design, etc u must need ur laptop.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
iwakunbaba: All tablets are designed on laptops, it realy depends on wat u do. If u r into just data entry then a tablet will do but when u need to do real work eg animation, graphic design, etc u must need ur laptop.
So what can a tablet not do that a laptop can? For example, does all tablet pc's support plugins like adobe reader and flash? Just want to know because i don't have one yet and i might want to get it.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by tessyade: 12:41pm On Jun 20, 2012
The advantage of tablet's pc is just its size i.e. it is very portable, there is nothing special about it. Moreso a lot of other vital computer processes cannot be done with it. For me laptop is it atleast for now.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Emmyk(m): 1:22pm On Jun 20, 2012
Laptop anytime
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by aljharem(m): 2:40pm On Jun 20, 2012
A laptop would always be chosen over tablet if you are professional and know what you are doing. A tablet pc is just for gadget loving people
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Skywalker5(m): 2:48pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tablets are not fast enough. Besides typing on screens is not really ideal but i guess we have detachable keyboards but thier processing powers are not fast enough and they dont have a lot of space. Maybe in the future if they add processing power and diskspace
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by sylve11: 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2012
Sexy is the tablet, rugged is the laptop. The laptop won't fade a way in as much humans exists. cool
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by charlsecy4(m): 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2012
Laptops and Tablets are two different things, although in some areas they serve the same purpose.

Tablets are built specifically for Internet surfing, while laptops are designed for other advanced computer works, for example, animation, graphic design, data entry, word processing, computational works, etc.

To be honest with you, laptops were not primarily designed for Internet browsing, tablets are!
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by manny4life(m): 2:52pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tablet over Laptop? embarassed embarassed embarassed

In the next world, not in this life.

For professionals who work with large spreadsheet data files, how does a 9inch screen resolve that? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by extension: 2:58pm On Jun 20, 2012
For entertainment and soft work,you can use tablets pc.For hardwork like construction site and utility mgt sites, you use laptop.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 20, 2012
Everyone love it portable. Thank God for the tablet, i use ipad with my blackbery and Nokia, the world is getting smaller day by day

1 Like

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by ghostofsparta(m): 2:59pm On Jun 20, 2012
Maleeq: Call me old fashion. but I don't fancy the tablets. Perhaps my line of work doesn't have a need for it.

Surely, the latops aren't being phased out anytime soon. For mobility and ease, the tablets may be winners, but for mobility and power, its alway a laptop that wins the day!

For performance, speed and power...its always the Desktops
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by surveycash(m): 3:01pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tablet PC are handy for the upwardly mobile...You can check out the one in my signature...
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 20, 2012
I got a tablet as a gift, i can count how many times i use it.
I use just for social network, but any serious job my laptop does it.

Sometimes i dont even remember i have such.

As for replacement, i doubt if it will replace a laptop as per accessibility of computer programs but for sociaal network/games etc it sure has values.

BTW, why cant i attached a pic in Nairaland with an Ipad?

Can someone help pls!
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by linearity: 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2012
Yes, the tablets will take some market shares away from laptops....just like laptops took away lots of market shares from desktop PCs...

There are some mobile users who do not need a laptop but uses it because they have no choice..e.g. the traveling salesman who have need to do demos across country or worldwide, heavy media clients eg movie, music, etc....also remote data users...

Tablets do not have the huge storage, memory, CPU power etc that laptops have....Though with time these main difference will be eliminated..eg with the advert of solid state drives; storage devices does not need to be bulky...but the price point of solid state drive is too high at this point to make any sensor for their mass introduction in tablets...lots of people use cloud computing instead..
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Afam4eva(m): 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2012
Laptops will never go out of fashion for people who use them to do serious work.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by kaiter: 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2012
I got a tablet as a gift, i can count how many times i use it.
I use just for social network, but any serious job my laptop does it.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tablet can not take laptop out of business, it will only make laptops last longer as no one goes outdoor with laptop anymore, infact, phones like Galaxy Note will take tablets out of fashion. Who wants to move around with tablet when the Note is pocket-sized with phone service as added feature.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by kanywoods: 3:39pm On Jun 20, 2012
WHAT IS A TABLET PC?
DEFINITION: A GLORIFIED PHONE WITH A LARGER SCREEN BUNDLED WITH A FANCY OS.
now how on earth can that replace a Real computer....CMON

1 Like

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 20, 2012
Sky-walker:
Tablets are not fast enough. Besides typing on screens is not really ideal but i guess we have detachable keyboards but thier processing powers are not fast enough and they dont have a lot of space. Maybe in the future if they add processing power and diskspace
who told you that rubbish you are saying,i own and use a tablet pc,its hdd is 400GB,its ram is 4gb and with amazing processing power.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by aktunde(m): 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2012
I do not see the tablets replacing the regular laptops soon. However, I have seen devices e.g Dell Latitude XT, XT2 and XT3 which have the potentials of retiring the regular laptops. This is because it has most of the features of tablets and regular laptops combined. The touch screen features and the likes. With the 360 rotation, you can change the look to that of a tablet or to that of a laptop. You do not need to buy or download Apps to do your normal office work. My summary is that, its a normal laptop which is convertible to a tablet (if you like). And you enjoy both features of a tablet and laptop at the same time. I think a device like this have much potentials of retiring the regular laptop than the tablets. Right now, I have 2 tablet; yet I cant do without my laptops for my school and office work.

Find pix of the Dell latitude XT below. XT3 is currently sold above $1500 at Dell stores. But I helped a friend to get the XT at $450 directly from Dell, here in the US.

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by aktunde(m): 4:04pm On Jun 20, 2012
sad
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Skywalker5(m): 4:14pm On Jun 20, 2012
Temistatics 007: who told you that rubbish you are saying,i own and use a tablet pc,its hdd is 400GB,its ram is 4gb and with amazing processing power.

Congratulations.

Are you saying your tablet PC can run applications faster than laptops?
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by linearity: 4:23pm On Jun 20, 2012
Temistatics 007: who told you that rubbish you are saying,i own and use a tablet pc,its hdd is 400GB,its ram is 4gb and with amazing processing power.

Having a lot of ram aka 4gb is only half of what makes computing to be fast....having a 4gb ram only means you have enough memory to buffer real time data...the question is how fast does the data gets into/out of the ram, which is the function of the CPU and buffer speed...the highest tablet PC CPU out there is 2.66Ghz..but it is more expensive comparable to an equivalent laptop or PC. Laptops and PCs also have level2 caching...which is faster than ur 4gb ram.

If you compare apples with apples...features with features at each price point...I will say that laptops are faster than tablets.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Maleeq(m): 5:08pm On Jun 20, 2012
ghostofsparta:

For performance, speed and power...its always the Desktops
The topic refers to "Tablets and Laptops". Surely I know desktops trumps laptops
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:10pm On Jun 20, 2012
Brand_new: With the advent of Tablet PC's and various computer hardware manufacturers joining the band wagon. Microsoft being the latest of them with it's "surface" tablet computers.
Seems buying or owning a laptop isn't any longer the in thing.
I personally no longer use my laptop. It packed up and i didn't even bother to fix it. I hope to replace it with a tablet PC.
So what do you think? Is it no longer fashionable to own or use a laptop for business and personal use. What are the pros and cons of using a Tablet PC?

You better go and fix your laptop or get a new one plus a tablet.

I use my iPad mainly for browsing, reading ebooks, games, writing notes but when it comes to designing websites/blogs, graphic design, programming etc, I use my laptop.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Jun 20, 2012
JideTheBlogger:

You better go and fix your laptop or get a new one plus a tablet.

I use my iPad mainly for browsing, reading ebooks, games, writing notes but when it comes to designing websites/blogs, graphic design, programming etc, I use my laptop.
That's how it should be.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by LordReed(m): 5:29pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tablets are going to replace laptops just the same way laptops "replaced" desktop. This will happen once processing capacity of the tablets match that of the laptops, just the same way the processing power of laptops rival that of desktops. Don't forget that the World is going mobile plus mobile OS capabilities rival that of traditional OS capabilities already, I mean check it out what can you do on Windows or Linux that you can't do on Android? Very few things and mostly those are tied to processing capacity. Even image processing and manipulation AKA "Photoshoping" is already possible on the tablet.

I predict that according to Moore's Law* within 5 years tablets will outsell laptops and be more widely used for productivity than they are being used now.

*Moore's law is a rule of thumb in the history of computing hardware whereby the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit doubles approximately every two years. The period often quoted as "18 months" is due to Intel executive David House, who predicted that period for a doubling in chip performance (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and their being faster).
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Reference(m): 5:32pm On Jun 20, 2012
manny4life: Tablet over Laptop? embarassed embarassed embarassed

In the next world, not in this life.

For professionals who work with large spreadsheet data files, how does a 9inch screen resolve that? undecided undecided undecided

They just kill your eyes faster than you can blink. Tablets are okay for people with short attention spans not for serious work.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Danish Used Sony Vaio Pcg71211m I5 Intel Core For Sale / Sale Of Gadgets. Strictly Gadgets. / No Adverts In This Section: You Will Be BANNED!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.