Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,671 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Chatting: ASL Please? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Chatting: ASL Please? (7267 Views)

Chatting Web / Chatting On Msn, Yahoo, Aol All At Once! / Instant Messaging & Chatting Rules & Tips? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chatting: ASL Please? by twinstaiye(m): 4:24pm On Apr 03, 2006
Ever since Seun made it easy for Nairaland members to know if members are online for yahoo chat, I had got several chat up lines that are really annoying. After the usual this is twinstaiye of Nairaland, and you responded with Hi or how are you doing, the next thing they do is asl? please. To me courtesy demands that you answer the question you are about to ask the other person at the other end of the chat. For example I am 25,M, Lagos before saying asl? please. By this, the chatter at the other end will feel glad to give his?/her own answer too. Am I the only one that share this view?
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:26pm On Apr 03, 2006
No!!!!! U're not at alllllllllllll, infact i receive exactly da same msgs angry hi it's so so n so from nairaland and i go like So? grin grin im normally jst kiddin whn i say that n some go like oh sorry, i didnt mean any disrespect n i go like then back off!!!!!! and later i apologize and tell them it was jst ma lil prank game grin grin and they go like, so? whats your asl and im like whats that angry shocked shocked shocked shocked whats that anyway?
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Z4M4eva(f): 6:30pm On Apr 03, 2006
twinstaiye:

Ever since Seun made it easy for Nairaland members to know if members are online for yahoo chat, I had got several chat up lines that are really annoying. After the usual this is twinstaiye of Nairaland, and you responded with Hi or how are you doing, the next thing they do is asl? please. To me courtesy demands that you answer the question you are about to ask the other person at the other end of the chat. For example I am 25,M, Lagos before saying asl? please. By this, the chatter at the other end will feel glad to give his?/her own answer too. Am I the only one that share this view?

Well I personally don't get that kind of thing. As in some random person just popping up on my screen wanting to chat with me.
And that's the reason, I don't go on Yahoo messenger, 'Cos it's really not safe, at least, that's how I feel.
I'd rather go on MSN where I add my friends and know who I'm talking to, I feel more comfortable and safe that way.
Also the reason why I don't have my yahoo E mail add. on my profile.
Yeah, I agree with you, that the right thing to do is: 'Give your ASL first, before demanding the other user's ASL.'
Yeah that way, the other person feels a bit more comfortable giving their's as well.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Whitelady1(f): 12:15am On Apr 04, 2006
Sorry, but what is ASL?
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by hotangel2(f): 5:22am On Apr 04, 2006
White lady:

Sorry, but what is ASL?
Age/Sex/Location.

I don't give it out if i don't want to. You really shouldn't make a big fuss about it. If you don't want the attention/messages. Just take your email off of your page. I don't mean to sound rude, but daing that's the fact. I agree though that it could be a lil annoying, plus some people just dont get it when you say Uhmm "i dont wanna chat". Yahoo has a feature that allows u block user, and u can go invisible whenever u want. If it's email they send, Don't reply if u don't want to.

The ASL thing, is probably the first question most strangers ask each other when talking for the first time. If you don't wanna release urs cos u don't know theirs, Ask them to tell u theirs first! If they play the "no u go first game", just cut the crap n block em.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by sunshine10(f): 5:59am On Apr 04, 2006
Hot Angel,

Girlfriend your right on the money grin. That's exactly what I do.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Whitelady1(f): 10:25am On Apr 04, 2006
Thanks hot angel. I thought as much. Just wanted to be sure
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by dafman(m): 12:36pm On Apr 04, 2006
You're even lucky the person started with asl, someone started by asking me 'please i'm looking for a sugarmummy'
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by drered(m): 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2006
dafman:

You're even lucky the person started with asl, someone started by asking me 'please i'm looking for a sugarmummy'
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by dracosh(m): 9:02am On Apr 05, 2006
u are very right. this happens to me almost every time and it's disturbing indeed. especially as in my case asl is written in my description on nairaland.com. once a dude asked me for asl and when he found out i'm a man he said bye. he could have looked in my description and saved my time.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by twinstaiye(m): 9:52am On Apr 05, 2006
dracosh:

u are very right. this happens to me almost every time and it's disturbing indeed. especially as in my case asl is written in my description on nairaland.com. once a dude asked me for asl and when he found out i'm a man he said bye. he could have looked in my description and saved my time.
Exactly dracosh, it is really irritating, just in front of my username there is (m) in bracket meaning Male, if anyone is eager to chat with me, he should have known I am male and dont disturb by buzzing me up. Na wah for Naija sha, they will always take things to the extreme.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by ono(m): 10:07am On Apr 05, 2006
and one chap wants me to do a business deal with him that might fetch me a couple of dollars!! I often put my status on YIM on invisible mode. You won't know if I'm online or not. And I may not reply you if If I don't want to.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by queen2(f): 11:34am On Apr 05, 2006
]

hot-angel:

Age/Sex/Location.

I don't give it out if i don't want to. You really shouldn't make a big fuss about it. If you don't want the attention/messages. Just take your email off of your page. I don't mean to sound rude, but daing that's the fact. I agree though that it could be a lil annoying, plus some people just don't get it when you say Uhmm "i don't want to chat". Yahoo has a feature that allows u block user, and u can go invisible whenever u want. If it's email they send, Don't reply if u don't want to.

The ASL thing, is probably the first question most strangers ask each other when talking for the first time. If you don't want to release urs because u don't know theirs, Ask them to tell u theirs first! If they play the "no u go first game", just cut the crap n block em.

I second that, they can chay with u beacuse your email adress is on your profile, if u take it out, then your free Lol.
I hate the Asl thingy too, its really annoying angry.[quote][/quote]
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by maki(f): 12:02pm On Apr 05, 2006
hello
25 f port harcourt
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by dracosh(m): 1:36pm On Apr 05, 2006
it's a nice thing to do to leave your ym id on a forum. i'm in you're on a forum to talk, isn't it? ym was created o talk, wasn't it?
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by dracosh(m): 1:37pm On Apr 05, 2006
nice picture maki grin
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by maki(f): 1:40pm On Apr 05, 2006
dracosh:

nice picture maki grin

hey dracosh thanks smiley
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by wormedup(m): 1:44pm On Apr 05, 2006
from twinstaiye's post i think what he's saying is, if u wanna know someone else's ASL u should let the person in on yours first. right ??

u can't just go about asking people question u don't fancy answering urself.

cheers.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Ynot(m): 1:57pm On Apr 05, 2006
dracosh:

nice picture maki grin

Not to be rude maki but you look like one of my cell mate in kirikiri.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by maki(f): 2:07pm On Apr 05, 2006
Ynot thats is your business angry, am not bothered about you cool
Ynot:

Not to be rude maki but you look like one of my cell mate in kirikiri.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Ynot(m): 2:15pm On Apr 05, 2006
Don't take it the wrong way sista. I got out last week too. There is nothing wrong admitting you've been in pen. cool i'm pretty sure you took that picture right after you got released.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by wormedup(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2006
maki:

Ynot thats is your business angry, am not bothered about you cool

u should know better than taking some things too seriously in here.

meanwhile, nice "French Tips".

Ynot:

Don't take it the wrong way sista. I got out last week too. There is nothing wrong admitting you've been in pen. cool i'm pretty sure you took that picture right after you got released.

lol cheesy cheesy grin
i thought i saw u on "crimewatch" now i'm sure ! grin grin grin
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by kenniy(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2006
i was reading this and a "fellow nairalander" tried to add me without even tryin to chat up first. isnt that rude!
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Ynot(m): 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2006
wormedup:

u should know better than taking some things too seriously in here.

meanwhile, nice "French Tips".

lol cheesy cheesy grin
i thought i saw u on "crimewatch" now i'm sure ! grin grin grin

You got it right. That was me alright. Been in for the last 4 years.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by maki(f): 2:31pm On Apr 05, 2006
Ynot:

You got it right. That was me alright. Been in for the last 4 years.

thanks my dear
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Ynot(m): 2:35pm On Apr 05, 2006
Why thank me? What did i do wrong? shocked
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by maki(f): 2:43pm On Apr 05, 2006
Ynot u better stop th
Ynot:

is nonsense
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by otokx(m): 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2006
yes o; there are a lot of rude people; i just reply them you first.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by bluenubian(f): 6:03pm On Apr 05, 2006
@twinstaiye,
you hit the nail on the head, and OMG i get at least 10 IMs a day with people saying they are from nairaland and none of these names i even recognize and like @ rhodalyn says, i say ""SO"" and i mean it, its really annoying and yes the first thing they ask is a/s/l. without even telling u their's. and they gey mad when u dont respond. i wonder if anyone has a solution to this nuisance
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by bluenubian(f): 6:05pm On Apr 05, 2006
and lets try not to blame seun for any of this, he has brought us this wonderful site, and he's jus trying to step it up with these new features
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by bluenubian(f): 6:12pm On Apr 05, 2006
and oh i've thot about removing my yahoo info from my profile, but i have met a couple of nice people though, so i'll still hang in there.
Re: Chatting: ASL Please? by Rhodalyn(f): 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Everything can be fixed at McDorsey. (Phones, Laptops and Home appliances) / I Need Acer Aspire 5630 Recovery Cd/dvd / What Does "poke" Mean On Facebook?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.