Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai (1455 Views)

Battle Between Awolowo, Akintola Led To 1966 Coup- Yakassai / Anenih Lied, I Didn’t Receive Up To N63m From Him- Yakassai / Tribunal Nullifies Election Of PDP Rep For Lack Of Educational Qualification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by Germannig: 8:27am On Nov 28, 2007
Why North Is Backward Educationally –Yakassai

Interviewer: In the North, it is believed that the level of education is low, particularly among women. Why is this and what do you think can be done to address this problem?

Yakassai: There are a lot of factors that are responsible for a drawback in acquiring western education in the North. One of the factors was the fact that the Europeans came to the Northern part of the country rather late. They came to the South first and after so many years, they came down to the North. Secondly, because of religious factor. Majority of the people in the North are Moslems and at that time, that was a suspicion because the western education was introduced to Nigeria by the British through the missionaries. So, Moslem leaders at that time particularly were skeptical as to whether it was a device by the white man to introduce his religion as against their own religion, which is Islam. Additionally, by tradition, we take our children first to Islamic schools. It is after they have grown up that they are free to go to any type of school to pursue professional activities. Because of the combination of these factors, we were not able to embrace western education much earlier like our southern compatriots. But thank God that we are now trying, and if the trend continues, I am sure it is a matter of time before we come shoulder to shoulder with our southern compatriots. It is true that the South is ahead of the North in terms of western education, but it is not limited to the North. In the South-South, our compatriots from that part of the country are in the same situation as in the North. The level of education in South-South is almost at the same level with that of the North. But one thing is clear, we are now determined to overcome the setback, which we believe that with the combination of efforts by government and the people, we will soon overcome this problem.

http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=138&a=6237
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by ono(m): 9:43am On Nov 28, 2007
Well, I don't think the level of education in the South-South is shoulder to shoulder with that of the North. The South South is light years ahead of the North in educational development. It's amazing how he's not even ashamed to compare the entire Northern part of the country to the South-South, the least populated part of the country and the part that practically provides the meal on the table for all the folks in the north and other parts of this country. I wonder why he had to pick on the South-South, where the resources that feeds himself and his bearded nomadic kinsmen comes from.

He should realise by now that it might be impossible for his people to measure up shoulder to shoulder with the South-South if the revenue from oil sales from that area stops ''flowing'' to them. He should go ask how Niger Republic, their neighbour have been coping with draught and desert encroachment, given that they don't have the means and resources to get fertilizers and do much irrigation and large scale farming that they enjoy in northern Nigeria - courtesy of oil sales proceeds!

So much for educational progress in the North.
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by willy4: 10:09am On Nov 28, 2007
Germannig:

Yakassai: It is true that the South is ahead of the North in terms of western education, but it is not limited to the North. In the South-South, our compatriots from that part of the country are in the same situation as in the North. The level of education in South-South is almost at the same level with that of the North. But one thing is clear, we are now determined to overcome the setback,
Cheii!!!!!!!!!, why dis man come pick South-South, keiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dis one really show sey we don finished.
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by grafikdon: 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2007
I can't believe this! Wow. Is this a joke? shocked shocked shocked

I am a teacher with 50 students in my class, Odenson (Another teacher) has just 5 students in his class. Only 3 of my students passed with flying colors, while the remaining 47 failed woefully. In the case of Odenson, 3 of his students passed with flying colors while the other two failed woefully. . . Lo and behold, I stand up and flex my muscles declaring my students are in the same league with Odenson's students. . . na real wa for WAEC o. Simple mathematics people no fit do grin grin grin

I think this is pure comedy.
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by ono(m): 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2007
The guy's name should be ''Olodo Yakata''
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by Germannig: 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2007
grafikdon:

I can't believe this! Wow. Is this a joke? shocked shocked shocked

I am a teacher with 50 students in my class, Odenson (Another teacher) has just 5 students in his class. Only 3 of my students passed with flying colors, while the remaining 47 failed woefully. In the case of Odenson, 3 of his students passed with flying colors while the other two failed woefully. . . Lo and behold, I stand up and flex my muscles declaring my students are in the same league with Odenson's students. . . na real wa for WAEC o. Simple mathematics people no fit do grin grin grin

I think this is pure comedy.

Grafikdon

Your logic is correct, since a far greater precentage of your student failed woefully, in comparison to your friend's. So, it is either that you are a bad ''tisha''  grin, or that your students are olodos of the highest order  grin
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by willy4: 6:32pm On Nov 30, 2007
ono:

The guys name should be ''Olodo Yakata''
haaaaaaahaaa, real Olodo Yakata grin
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by Tylenol: 5:04am On Dec 06, 2007
@ grafikdon

Ehm, Which kind analogy be that? I'm quite sure he didn't make the comparisons based on actual figures. When you see economic analyses that compare countries' GDPs and living standards, how come you don't say "How can you compare UK with 55 million people (?) to the US with 300 million?"
Surely, you know that an index, ratio, percentage or other means are emplyed to make comparisons logical. In the case of countries, GDP per capita or at Purchasing Power Parity can be used to mitigate differences in the non-relevant factors.

In your case, the 3/5 = 60% and 3/50 = 6%. Therefore, you can say Mr. (what's the other teacher's name again?) has a higher success rate. That was what Yakassai meant in terms of Northern Nigeria and South South being at the same level. If he had said more students in Northern Nigeria pass than in the South South, then that would have been a rubbish comparison as the population size is not taken into consideration.
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by wendymanda: 5:35am On Dec 06, 2007
In your case, the 3/5 = 60% and 3/50 = 6%. Therefore, you can say Mr. (what's the other teacher's name again?) has a higher success rate. That was what Yakassai meant in terms of Northern Nigeria and South South being at the same level. If he had said more students in Northern Nigeria pass than in the South South, then that would have been a rubbish comparison as the population size is not taken into consideration.

However, plus, then, and he is still wrong in his comparison despite the fact that this is not an economic analysis. I agree with the first guys reasoning that this is uneqal comparison. He should have stuff to talking about the North rather that bringing in the South- South.
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by Tylenol: 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2007
I did not say it was an economic analysis. That was just an example showing how you have to find a common basis for comparison before comparing things.

Also, my post does not concern whether Yakassai is right or wrong in his statements. Just trying to explain what he meant by the North and the South-South are about level in terms of education. Finish!
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by folahann(m): 10:12pm On Dec 06, 2007
what instrument is used in measuring the level of Education btw regions
Re: North And South-South On Same Level Of Educational Achievement-yakassai by willy4: 9:26am On Jan 05, 2008
wendymanda:

He should have stuff to talking about the North rather that bringing in the South- South.
Maybe he was afraid to talk about the East and west

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Builds Home For Prostitutes And Destitues In Lagos. / Yinka Craig Is Dead / Nigerian Satellite Begins Fall To Earth!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.