Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,142 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Common Interview Questions And What They Mean - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Common Interview Questions And What They Mean (24579 Views)

All Job Interview Questions/answers Covered - Get The Free Ebook / Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Jids(m): 8:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
Facing your Facebook Account at Interview

So you have gotten the interview, you answered the questions well and feeling confident - then your interviewer asks you for your password to Facebook.

Yes, you heard right, be prepared as this question is sometimes being asked. So how to protect your right to privacy but still remain in the running for the role?

Recent statistics have suggested that approx 95% of employers will search for applicants online during the recruiting process. More recently it has emerged that some employers are now asking their applicants for their Facebook passwords. Could you imagine a job interview where you were asked to for your password?

Asking an applicant for a password is not without potential implications for companies - Maryland in the United States recently became the first state to ban employers from requesting social media passwords. If a Facebook page includes information on race, gender. etc, this could expose the employer to potential accusations of a discriminatory recruitment process.

So how do you protect your right to privacy but still remain in the running for the role? Here are some potential ways to approach the questions which will allow you to make your opinion known in a polite and professional manner for instance,

“I would never give out my work email and network passwords to anyone, I make it a personal and professional policy to keep all of my passwords private and secure. However, please feel free to look at my public profile”

“My LinkedIn profile is a great place for you to review my online presence”

Let them know that while you are very interested in the position, however, you feel that the request is a breach of privacy and also a potential legal breach of the Facebook terms of service.

Might be no harm to also ask “Is it something that is required to move forward with the job interview?” You will then know where you stand. Advise that you need to digest this request and will revert shortly on this.

There are some steps that can be taken to reduce your online visibility to potential employers, such as using a nickname for your facebook account, disabling the public web search on your Facebook profile which will reduce the likelihood of your Facebook account showing up in a Google search.

Now you know that it is okay to take a stand and say “no” when asked for your social networking passwords. It is ultimately up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. The most important piece of information I can give you is to watch out how you deliver this “no”. Try to play it down nicely as opposed to over asserting yourself and coming across as defensive. No need they may just be chancing their arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAqdZ2Q92VA&feature=BFa&list=PLEE4A7A52B9670405
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Dazzled: 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2012
Dis is d best post so far,rily learnt alot. Thanks al 4 ur positive contribution. God bless
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by yommy2sure(m): 8:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
Good good good, but i have to say most of the stuff above relates more to experienced interviews, for entry level just try and relate it ur unique school, service, and participation in different groups experience and pls almost everyone uses the internet to learn more about interviews...so pls make sure u dont sound mechanical and like someone that has crammed everything from the internet...trust me theyv interviewed a lot and iv heard all those stuffs...just try to sound unique by relating to your own personal experience. Be yourself and always have a defination of what u want for yourself....my two kobo...all the best.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Wallie(m): 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nice post! Here's my response to the number of golf balls that you can fit into a school bus: assuming a golf ball occupies 1 cm^3 of space and a school bus has an empty volume of 2 million cubic centimeters, you will be able to fit 2 million golf balls in the bus. Simple grin
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Yankee01: 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nice 1
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Wallie(m): 9:06pm On Jul 05, 2012
I see that some people tried to also answer the last question. The answer is very simple because you don't have any facts to work with, which means that you can just create a series of assumptions to arrive at the answer. Since you're creating your own assumptions, you might as well make them really simple with numbers you can easily work with. Outrageous questions like that will usually have a very simple answer that just requires you to look at the question differently.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Walexz02(m): 9:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
I love ds thread cool cool
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Toppie2(f): 9:26pm On Jul 05, 2012
Very brilliant thread. Thankz a bunch!
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by avicky(f): 10:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
afam4eva: This is great.

Now, how's someone supposed to answer the last question?
My thoughts exactly. D poster evaded d answer.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by avicky(f): 10:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
Wallie: I see that some people tried to also answer the last question. The answer is very simple because you don't have any facts to work with, which means that you can just create a series of assumptions to arrive at the answer. Since you're creating your own assumptions, you might as well make them really simple with numbers you can easily work with. Outrageous questions like that will usually have a very simple answer that just requires you to look at the question differently.
The answer is very simple, yet u couldn't say it. Be explicit! Give a straight forward answer.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2012
Human Psycho: I wouldn't blaim anyone of you guys..... If you're well used to psycological posts you wouldn't be seeing this as new, there are over a thousand websites that offer to treat such topics especially most psycologically inclind sites... My advice you spend sometime reading posts on websites like 'psycology[/b]today' then you get more of this and other insightful write ups...
For the guys who're asking how the last question should be answered... As you can see they only need your sense of analysis and your ability to arrive at a conclusion and simultaneously checking your confidence personal deductions in short time... You don't have to be specific, just an approximate figure would be enough say like 80,000 stressing that your answer is only approximate and not exact since it could be more or less depending size (ie) height and length of the box together with golf ball diametre... Believe me you, you get an applaud long before you finish... That is only aspect to so many other questions that could be thrown only to check analytical abilities and convey of confidence!! Do some study on [b]psycology
it sure helps!! Thanks.
you keep spelling it wrongly guru. its PSYCHOLOGY ya?
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Biggyd2: 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2012
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 05, 2012
Why did this trash made the frontpage?? Smh for nairaland mods. Mtcheeew
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Jids(m): 10:35pm On Jul 05, 2012
1. How do you handle stress or pressure?
You could answer this question by saying that stress is an important issue to you. While high levels of stress can be negative, I use stress in a productive way that can allow me to work harder. It is important for me to make sure I have the correct balance of positive stress and negative stress. You could also answer this question by saying you perform better when you are under reasonable levels of stress.

2. What do you find motivates you the most?
This is a question that does not require an answer that is right or wrong. The employer is trying to see how you are motivated. It is also a method they will use to determine if you are compatible for the job. It doesn't make much sense to put you in a position where you will not be motivated by the work you do. The best way to answer this question is to be honest. Let the interviewer know what motivates you the most. Don't tell them what they want to hear because you are trying to get the job. While this may help you in the short term, it can hurt you in the long run.

3. Do you prefer to work alone, or do you work better in groups?
This is a question that you will want to answer carefully. If the position you are applying for requires you to work alone, it doesn't make much sense to answer it by saying you enjoy working in groups. If the position requires you to work in groups, telling the interviewer you like working alone can keep you from being hired. However, the answer you give should be an honest one.

4. Give us an example of a challenging situation you've overcome.
This is a request that will require you to know a lot about yourself. If you've prepared for the interview beforehand, you should be able to answer this question without any problems. You should reflect on your past work experience. You must quickly be able to think about any challenges you've overcome. It doesn't have to be something that is related to employment. If you were in the military, you could describe a challenge you overcame. If you are a college graduate, you can give an example of an academic challenge you successfully overcame.

5. What do you find interesting about this job?
The answer that you give better be more than just the salary. You should be able to give detailed reasons for why you are interested in being hired for a certain position. Answering this question correctly may require you to do your research on the company. This is something that must be done before the interview starts.

6. Why should we hire you?
This is one of the most difficult questions in the interview process. However, it is a good question, especially if you are competing for a position against people who are equally qualified. To answer this question, describe how your skills can be valuable to the company. Not only will you want to direct the towards your accomplishments, but you will also want to demonstrate your personality and desire. Explain that you are impressed with the history of the company, and you want to play a role in the success of the organization.

7. In what ways can you contribute to our company?
You will want to answer this question by selling yourself. Explain how your skills, personality, and experience can allow you to contribute to the company. This is a question that you may want to prepare for in advance. You will want to answer it with a powerful statement. You don't want to be uneasy of hesitant. If the employer suspects this, you may lose your chance to be employed with the company.

What's the BEST Way to Close an Interview? [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][center][/center]

Many candidates will offer a great interview and then fail to close it properly. This is like baking a terrific cake and forgetting to put on the icing. The closing of your interview is the most memorable part not only because it comes at the end of your time together, but because you are able to interject your own personality, comments and questions into the conversation with the interviewer.

Ask Questions

You should be well prepared for the interview with questions of your own to show that you're considering their company as much as they are considering you. You should ask questions that show you've paid attention to information in the interview and done research on your own before coming into speak to the interviewer. If the interviewer doesn't ask for your questions, be sure to ask her, "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions before we finish?"

Reinforce Your Attributes

When the interviewer makes a statement similar to, "If you have nothing else, that will be all," offer a respectful closing comment reiterating your strengths and how they tie into the critical skills the company is seeking. Include four or five reasons why you should have the job and show your knowledge of the company in the process.

"This is an exciting position and I know that my experience with teamwork will help me mesh well with the existing sales team, my industry knowledge will be useful in developing new leads and my time spend building industry contracts will help to solidify my client list almost immediately. The work I've done with your computer system will give me ad advantage in that area as well."

Alleviate Concerns

If you suspect the interviewers have any concerns about you as the right applicant, your next statements should alleviate those concerns. It is wise to give the interviewer a chance to state concerns so that you can address them, "I believe I'm the right candidate for this position. Do you see any issues that might make you think otherwise?"

Express Enthusiasm

Your enthusiasm for the position and company should be shining through during the interview process, but be sure to include a few direct positive remarks about the company and position as well.

Determine the Next Step

Be sure you ask for the next step in the hiring process. This will show you are an organized and professional candidate. If possible, establish a time frame for the hiring decision as this will give you critical information about how and when to follow up.

Thank the Interviewer

Finally, thank your interviewer graciously and stand to shake her hand. Keep confident eye contact during the handshake and walk out of the room knowing you've done well.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/top-50-job-interview-questions.htm
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Sike(m): 12:37am On Jul 06, 2012
WoW!! I love this post. *Bookmarked*
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Dagods(m): 1:02am On Jul 06, 2012
Da best post since i registered,i think dis is unarguably da post of d year,chikena. I don't really care about wat u think,"cos racists will go against it.but gud post,"KUDOS".
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Osario: 1:05am On Jul 06, 2012
The answer on "Your Weakness" is very, very wrong
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by JojoArmani(m): 1:23am On Jul 06, 2012
woow wonderful post. Thanks @poster. Surely I learnt sometin.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by greatlee(m): 2:27am On Jul 06, 2012
nice one
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by greatgod2012(f): 4:08am On Jul 06, 2012
nice thread, txs
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by ezer(m): 5:18am On Jul 06, 2012
faithin9ja:

Job go hard you oh! didn't you see the link below
lol...@op, nice one
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by oladayo042: 8:11am On Jul 06, 2012
@OP Nice one

These questions are best answered by those who have some work experience. What of fresh graduates with no experience at all? Some of those questions will be relatively difficult for them to answer.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by ekesbaba(m): 8:23am On Jul 06, 2012
woops!
great post keep it up!!!
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by masterpiecer(m): 8:29am On Jul 06, 2012
Reyginus: Let me see what I can do as to the last question.
How many golf balls can fit into a school bus?what I think the interviewer is trying 2 do here is a test on your mental alertness.The question posed is one requiring a mathematical reasoning.It does not necessary mean that you must get correctly the answer,rather,the procedure.The first step is determing by estimation(since you dont know) the diameter of a golf ball,and as well height.This can be compared to analysing the feautures of your problem in the real world.secondly, determine the length,breath,height of the school bus.The school bus is like what you think is the answer to your problem,so,what you are doing here is a comparison between the answer and your real life problem by bringing them to the same base.Thirdly,determine the area of the golf ball and school bus.forthly,divide the area of the golf ball by that of the school bus.Whatever you get is the answer.The whole process is centered towards achieving a hierrachial analysis of problems.As in,to determine how you will solve a problem,not whether the problem is solved...*my thoughts*

this is a very smart and most likely closest approach to the question.
smart thinking wink
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Burger01(m): 11:06am On Jul 06, 2012
kerijay: question doesn't need an answer,its a brain teaser like he said,so they will watching out for your strategy in trying to answer
Okay. Thanks.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by gtrust: 11:19am On Jul 06, 2012
Human Psycho: I wouldn't blaim anyone of you guys..... If you're well used to psycological posts you wouldn't be seeing this as new, there are over a thousand websites that offer to treat such topics especially most psycologically inclind sites... My advice you spend sometime reading posts on websites like 'psycologytoday' then you get more of this and other insightful write ups...
For the guys who're asking how the last question should be answered... As you can see they only need your sense of analysis and your ability to arrive at a conclusion and simultaneously checking your confidence personal deductions in short time... You don't have to be specific, just an approximate figure would be enough say like 80,000 stressing that your answer is only approximate and not exact since it could be more or less depending size (ie) height and length of the box together with golf ball diametre... Believe me you, you get an applaud long before you finish... That is only aspect to so many other questions that could be thrown only to check analytical abilities and convey of confidence!! Do some study on psycology it sure helps!! Thanks.

You CANNOT say approx 80,000

You have to understant that 'I don't know' is an answer and a very valid one!
The Company will NOT then have to waste money trying to correct the mistakes of an oversabi (I too know who knows nothing!)

The point is what then since you don't have the answer now
Do you remember your school projects Hope you did not copy someone's project!

Tell them:
I don't know.
I will like to look at the bus and also look at the balls.
I will suppose the bus will be driven or will it be packed.
Assuming the bus is to be driven I will also want to find out if they require passengers etc
In summary, I will need to know the actual space availability!

I will just divide the actual available space (volume) by the size (again volume) and that will give me the idea
of the number of balls.

I suppose I have to then return to my supervisor to find out the protocol of this area and whether or not such a number of
balls will be allowed a bus ride.

You would have shown knowledge and humility.
You would have shown you are a safe pair of hands who will work with a supervisor and according to protocol.
You would have shown that you will not waste management time because you ONLY returned to supervisor AFTER the facts etc etc
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by mavinc4u(f): 11:50am On Jul 06, 2012
VoodooDoll: Brain teaser questions:

As already commented above the trick here is to use approximations, also:

1) ask questions as the interviewer may give guidance;
2) make assumptions and announce them eg: the bus has a square shape and no seats or passengers and a length of x, width of y and height of z;
3) make assumptions about the golf ball;
4) let the interviewer know if you're making simple but useful assumptions eg: the golf balls are in the boxes they came in and each box holds 10 golf balls, each box is of length a, width b and height c; and
5) the key here is not your answer but the logical process and thinking steps that you demonstrate.

Best of luck.

guy,bus does not have a square shape but a rectangle shape. The best answer is
lets consider the ball a circle/sphere and consider the bus a rectangle. Therefore,inorder to find how many balls that will fill the bus,certain measures like the weight,dimension and radius of the shapes must be taken to get perfect figures for the volumes.
then following the measures,the volume of a ball which is circle or sphere=4/3pi r3
volume of a rectangle = length X width X height
the total number of volume of a sphere in a rectangle= volume of a sphere + volume of a rectangle.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by mavinc4u(f): 11:56am On Jul 06, 2012
VoodooDoll: Brain teaser questions:

As already commented above the trick here is to use approximations, also:

1) ask questions as the interviewer may give guidance;
2) make assumptions and announce them eg: the bus has a square shape and no seats or passengers and a length of x, width of y and height of z;
3) make assumptions about the golf ball;
4) let the interviewer know if you're making simple but useful assumptions eg: the golf balls are in the boxes they came in and each box holds 10 golf balls, each box is of length a, width b and height c; and
5) the key here is not your answer but the logical process and thinking steps that you demonstrate.

Best of luck.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by princenat(m): 1:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
In answer to the last question, I think the interviewer will be highly impressed if your response goes this way:

The size of the school bus and that of the golf ball will determine the number of golf balls that will fit in it.

what do you think about this?

My appreciation goes to the poster for this informative piece.
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Wallie(m): 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
avicky:
The answer is very simple, yet u couldn't say it. Be explicit! Give a straight forward answer.

See post #35, which I'm quoting below:

Wallie: Nice post! Here's my response to the number of golf balls that you can fit into a school bus: assuming a golf ball occupies 1 cm^3 of space and a school bus has an empty volume of 2 million cubic centimeters, you will be able to fit 2 million golf balls in the bus. Simple grin

Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 07, 2012
You need to attend this free IQ test before going for an interview it'l help ........... http://collegetimes.us/50-free-personality-iq-career-and-aptitude-tests/
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by HumanPsycho(m): 4:30am On Jul 07, 2012
brokoto: you keep spelling it wrongly guru. its PSYCHOLOGY ya?
knew i was wrong all the way, but i did posted it anyway... Perhabs it'd pay off better if you focus on what i had to say than the spellings and between if doubt you can check my reg name to see that spelling ''psychology'' isn't any prob. Thanks mr.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Graduate Of Ahmadu Bello University Has Resorted To Selling Of Woina.... Pics / Sack: Pilots, Engineers Threaten To Shut Down All Airlines / My Boss May Be Hiding Something

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.