Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,373 members, 7,836,511 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (578) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4431448 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutie999(f): 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2016
cutie999:
Welldone to all the mammas here..
Ported from pregnancy thread and im sure my seniors in the house are here already cc enkaydewdrop....mitchy and co. Kikikikiki grin grin grin grin
My Ds Damisi is saying hi to everyone. Pls i need a recommendation for a brand of good feeding bottle and sterilizing unit... *****Cheers
Mammas please dont jump and pass ooo, still awaiting your inputs wink wink cheesy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 9:50pm On Aug 02, 2016
cutie999:

Mammas please dont jump and pass ooo, still awaiting your inputs wink wink cheesy
Nuby is good both d bottles and sterilizer. You can also try Avent
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 11:02pm On Aug 02, 2016
cutie999:

For bottles i use medela with the calma teat (which i use with BM or the premixed liquid formula) and advent with the normal teat( for powder formular). My baby is not picky but i know different people have different experiences and some babies accept some teats more than others.

For sterilizers, most bottle manufactures will have their versions and your options are:

Electric sterilizers which are just a fancy version of steamer or pot of boiling water sterilizing. It will have a timer and let you know when bottles are ready. Dependent on electricity though, so if nepa show you pepper you are screwed, alternative is to pop the items into a boiling pot of water and boil for 5 mins.... but who gat time for this? Except you are supper organised.

Microwave sterilizer- essentially a bowl with a water holder and vent. Zap for 3 mins and let cool for 2 mins and voila! Bottles ready. Dependent on electricity as well. I personally would like to cut my baby's exposure to microwaved items especially plastics, so its not my prefered method but for other people there is absolutely no issue with it.

Cold water sterilizer in either tablet or liquid to add to it. Milton is a very popular brand of both types.

Most microwave sterilizers also double as cold water sterilizers..... this is what i use.
Pros: you only need to change the solution every 24 hours. Items only need to be in it for 15 mins. Not dependent on electricity. You can leave the items in the solution and take out when you need it however be mindful of silicone products. I leave it for min. 15 mins and take them out to air dry a bit before using.

Cons: slight smell of chlorine, but it doesnt affect baby in any way. After a while you get used to it.
Only leave silicone items for the stipulated time as the solution willl discolour it - take note for silicone teats. Most will come in a 5L capacity. If you are bottle feeding full time this is fine, however if like me baby was EBF for 6 months and only takes a bottle or so of formular per day now.....that is a lot of water to be wasting.

Modification: if in naija, ensure you get your sterilizer tablets/liquid from a reputable source! i.e. its not fake! As you could be exposing your child to more harm than Good

However, Milton does a travel sized sterilizer which is only 1.25L and you only need to use a 1/4 of the tablet. So i am just finishing my first pack of sterilizer tablets. This has worked well for me.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 5:24am On Aug 03, 2016
cutie999:

I use avent bottles (7 bottles) and avent 3 in 1 steam steriliser. (Pictures attached)

In addition to these seven bottles, the steriliser is large enough to accommodate a baby's feeding bowls, spoons, sippy cup, et al once they move to solids.

It's also pretty quick as it sterilises in 5-6 minutes and it works using a standard generator in nigeria. I have used it every single day for the past 11months and it has proven to be durable.

Personally, I'm not a fan of sterilising tablets and fluids. Even when I travel - whether long or short trips, I pack the steriliser with me.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enkaydewdrop(f): 6:50am On Aug 03, 2016
Good morning mamas and Happy new month...
Please, I'm sorry this question is coming late.

My bubba's 6 week immunisation is this morning, and I heard it's advisable to administer paracetamol before getting it done.

Please, how long before the immunisation and what quantity do I administer?

Cc zaynie, mitchyy, AlphaHandMaiden, helovesme, babythug, Fortius, ozycy, ahnie, Liftedhands and every sabi mama...

Cutie999, I see you sis...
Kiss baby for me...
kiss
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 7:39am On Aug 03, 2016
enkaydewdrop:

My bubba's 6 week immunisation is this morning, and I heard it's advisable to administer paracetamol before getting it done.

Cc zaynie, mitchyy, AlphaHandMaiden, helovesme, babythug, Fortius, ozycy, ahnie, Liftedhands and every sabi mama...

Kiss baby for me...
kiss
For Pentas right? Is it necessary to administer paracetamol cos I hard it reduce d efficacy of d immunization taken, but if d baby react to d immunization that is when pcm is advisable to be administered. meanwhile if u want to give d baby pcm I think is 0.4ml for less than 3months baby and it d drop version u give not d syrup. hope this help.

Pls mamas contribute cos its urgent as d immunization is this morning.

Note: Pls don't rub/massage d site.
also people advise not to bathe baby after d injection, I don't buy dat idea, bathe ur baby and nothing will happen.
constant breastfeeding today cos baby go cry well well.
Soothe him by strapping him on ur back.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:35am On Aug 03, 2016
enkaydewdrop:
Kiss baby for me...
kiss

comtem2011:
For Pentas right? Is it necessary to administer paracetamol cos I hard it reduce d efficacy of d immunization taken, but if d baby react to d immunization that is when pcm is advisable to be administered. meanwhile if u want to give d baby pcm I think is 0.4ml for less than 3months baby and it d drop version u give not d syrup. hope this help.

Pls mamas contribute cos its urgent as d immunization is this morning.

Note: Pls don't rub/massage d site.
also people advise not to bathe baby after d injection, I don't buy dat idea, bathe ur baby and nothing will happen.
constant breastfeeding today cos baby go cry well well.
Soothe him by strapping him on ur back.

Well, I gave paracetamol for all my immunisations. I cant shout abeg! preferably no more than 30 mins before or even just as soon as it is given or within 30 mins afterwards. Then i watch to see if it is neccessary to re-administer it. All babies react differently.

If you wait till the fever sets in, you go nearly crase! Even with the paracetamol, the crankiness no be joke. My MIL( God bless her) had to back alphababy and kept dancing allover the place.... she sef need ibruprofen for all the dancing wey she do! cheesy

Stick to the pack reccomendation and dose for your child's age. Do not exceed the number of doses in a 24 hr period.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babyokujide(f): 10:43am On Aug 03, 2016
Gd mrng sabi mamas+papas! Make una help me torchlight this matter; my 2mos old LO has been having cough, I thought it was like choking from breast but it persisted. I read about using palm oil and st Louis sugar, I don't know the dosage. Has anyone experienced this kindly help me out. My DS is tender to start taking cough syrups I need natural treatment pls. Thanks mamas. Have a nice day all.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ginababy(f): 11:48am On Aug 03, 2016
babythug:

They're one and the same.
i don't think it's a good idea to be changing the milk/formula upandan. Except the baby is fussy and you're trying to find the one he/she likes or for cost reasons. Their digestive system is still tender no point experimenting with it if you get me wink

Tnx dearie. Dh has been the one changing dem ooo. Today he will buy dis tomorrow is another. I have lyk 3 unfinished brands due to Dh not satisfied with d out come. Bt I sha don stop am ooo he shudnt kiam n kill my ds.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutie999(f): 12:48pm On Aug 03, 2016
[quote author=soonest post=48130924] Nuby is good both d bottles and sterilizer. You can also try Avent[/quote

Thanks ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutie999(f): 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

For bottles i use medela with the calma teat (which i use with BM or the premixed liquid formula) and advent with the normal teat( for powder formular). My baby is not picky but i know different people have different experiences and some babies accept some teats more than others.

For sterilizers, most bottle manufactures will have their versions and your options are:

Electric sterilizers which are just a fancy version of steamer or pot of boiling water sterilizing. It will have a timer and let you know when bottles are ready. Dependent on electricity though, so if nepa show you pepper you are screwed, alternative is to pop the items into a boiling pot of water and boil for 5 mins.... but who gat time for this? Except you are supper organised.

Microwave sterilizer- essentially a bowl with a water holder and vent. Zap for 3 mins and let cool for 2 mins and voila! Bottles ready. Dependent on electricity as well. I personally would like to cut my baby's exposure to microwaved items especially plastics, so its not my prefered method but for other people there is absolutely no issue with it.

Cold water sterilizer in either tablet or liquid to add to it. Milton is a very popular brand of both types.

Most microwave sterilizers also double as cold water sterilizers..... this is what i use.
Pros: you only need to change the solution every 24 hours. Items only need to be in it for 15 mins. Not dependent on electricity. You can leave the items in the solution and take out when you need it however be mindful of silicone products. I leave it for min. 15 mins and take them out to air dry a bit before using.

Cons: slight smell of chlorine, but it doesnt affect baby in any way. After a while you get used to it.
Only leave silicone items for the stipulated time as the solution willl discolour it - take note for silicone teats. Most will come in a 5L capacity. If you are bottle feeding full time this is fine, however if like me baby was EBF for 6 months and only takes a bottle or so of formular per day now.....that is a lot of water to be wasting.

Modification: if in naija, ensure you get your sterilizer tablets/liquid from a reputable source! i.e. its not fake! As you could be exposing your child to more harm than Good

However, Milton does a travel sized sterilizer which is only 1.25L and you only need to use a 1/4 of the tablet. So i am just finishing my first pack of sterilizer tablets. This has worked well for me.

Thanks mama
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutie999(f): 1:02pm On Aug 03, 2016
helovesme:

I use avent bottles (7 bottles) and avent 3 in 1 steam steriliser. (Pictures attached)

In addition to these seven bottles, the steriliser is large enough to accommodate a baby's feeding bowls, spoons, sippy cup, et al once they move to solids.

It's also pretty quick as it sterilises in 5-6 minutes and it works using a standard generator in nigeria. I have used it every single day for the past 11months and it has proven to be durable.

Personally, I'm not a fan of sterilising tablets and fluids. Even when I travel - whether long or short trips, I pack the steriliser with me.

Thanks alot mama. Any idea where i can get this and the price?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maxiflexi(f): 1:39pm On Aug 03, 2016
ginababy:

Tnx dearie. Dh has been the one changing dem ooo. Today he will buy dis tomorrow is another. I have lyk 3 unfinished brands due to Dh not satisfied with d out come. Bt I sha don stop am ooo he shudnt kiam n kill my ds.

I had to come out of ghost mode to ask: What exactly are you looking for in a formular? You cannot tell if a particular brand has achieved the desired result in less than 3 days. Discuss with your hubby then come to table your requirements, Mamas should be able to suggest a formula that meets his needs,
Your baby's needs, not your hubby

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mzsI: 2:34pm On Aug 03, 2016
Hi mamas,

First time mum here....i was wondering if anyone has experienced gum bleeding when brushing lo's teeth and how they overcame it. thanks in advance for your suggestions
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2016
enkaydewdrop:

Kiss baby for me...
kiss

Sorry ma cheesy just woke up wink

How did the immunisation eventually go? I hear giving straight afterwards is the way to go these days! the quantity is usually 2.5ml. But its best to go with what's on the bottle of pcm/ibrupofen.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 03, 2016
enkaydewdrop hw far sis..gv pcm b4 leavin d house nd aftawards...

cutie999 welxum mam..for me na to wash d feeding bottles,plates,spoons nd odas wt brush nd pour very
hot water nd cover up for 30mins o nd my lucas neva had any issue wt his system o,i get confused wt all dose tablet tin..am jst a typical local mama pls dnt get it twisted sis all my sabi mamas suggestion maks sense jst choose d one dat suits u..kisses to damisi

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2016
enkaydewdrop:

Kiss baby for me...
kiss

We didn't give any pain relieving meds before. She only took twice in her entire one month schedule of Immunisation. Professional Injection taker! I was told in the U.S. not to give her unless she ran a fever and she only did the first time (it made her sleepy). Weirdly, we cry endlessly over taking oral immunisation. She hates swallowing stuff.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 4:24pm On Aug 03, 2016
enkaydewdrop:

kiss

We didn't give any pain relieving meds before. She only took twice in her entire one year schedule of Immunisation. Professional Injection taker! I was told not to give her unless she ran a fever and she only did the first time (immunisation made her sleepy). Weirdly, we cry endlessly over taking oral immunisation. She hates swallowing stuff. She cries more from the shocl of the needle and by the time we are leaving the hospital had stopped shedding tears.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 5:20pm On Aug 03, 2016
Hello mamas pls i need your advise ;my FIL thinks my 3.8kg 1 week+ son should be given multivatimins .please advise if it is too early to place a baby on drugs as I plan to discuss with my Dr on my next appointment
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 6:04pm On Aug 03, 2016
Adeime:
Hello mamas pls i need your advise ;my FIL thinks my 3.8kg 1 week+ son should be given multivatimins .please advise if it is too early to place a baby on drugs as I plan to discuss with my Dr on my next appointment
If you are doing ebf then it's you that should be on vitamins while baby takes from you, if formula feeding there's absolutely no need cos formula is fortified with vitamins and minerals sufficient for babies.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 03, 2016
Good Evening Mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 6:57pm On Aug 03, 2016
Thanks mama liftedhands for always being dear
Liftedhands:
If you are doing ebf then it's you that should be on vitamins while baby takes from you, if formula feeding there's absolutely no need cos formula is fortified with vitamins and minerals sufficient for babies.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
Mommas please can you recommend any good vitamins I can take as I'm doing EBF
Liftedhands:
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hajarahbadmus(f): 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
Fenugreek seeds contain hormone precursors that increase milk supply. Scientists do not know for sure how this happens. Some believe it is possible because breasts are modified sweat glands, and fenugreek stimulates sweat production. It has been found that fenugreek can increase a nursing mother's milk supply within 24 to 72 hours after first taking the herb. Once an adequate level of milk production is reached, most women can discontinue the fenugreek and maintain the milk supply with adequate breast stimulation...
For your fenugreek seeds and oil, please contact
2348168595034 via watsapp.. guidelines on how to use it will be provided..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 7:06pm On Aug 03, 2016
zionx:
Good Evening Mamas, pls I need suggestions of a good pediatrician around Iyana-Ipaja/Ipaja/Egbeda axis(Lagos State).
How are you coping? Hope all is well with your LO. Let me cc some Lagos mamas for you.
Mitchyy liftedhands sugah enkaydewdrop Zaynie
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoberry(f): 8:05pm On Aug 03, 2016
mamas wet no dey ask of anybody *folds arms*
anyways.... how have you all been? how is babyies smiley the twins has not given me time for myself at all... infact... I just thank God. if i was working in an office before I had them, dey for son sack me tey tey

so I have JUST WEANED the twins. at ONE YEAR FIVE MONTHS.

I put it in caps so you will clap for me ni o.
although iim still tempted to chook breast once a while. I just weaned them yesterday. twin girl has been shouting "mam best, best" (mum breast) which can be quite embarrassing when we go out.

twin boy is still suckin his thumb. sad

16 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mitchyy(f): 8:18pm On Aug 03, 2016
ozycy:

How are you coping? Hope all is well with your LO. Let me cc some Lagos mamas for you.
Mitchyy liftedhands sugah enkaydewdrop Zaynie

Zionx, the ones i know on the mainland close to you are at okota and festac axis

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mzfunshy(f): 9:19pm On Aug 03, 2016
zionx:
Good Evening Mamas, pls I need suggestions of a good pediatrician around Iyana-Ipaja/Ipaja/Egbeda axis(Lagos State).

Crystal specialist at sobo bstp egbeda has good paediatricians (the lady in particular).

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2016
Adeime:
Mommas please can you recommend any good vitamins I can take as I'm doing EBF
There's Pregnacare for breastfeeding mums, and a host of others. It's an over the counter medication you don't need a doctor's prescription for it. Just walk into any good pharmacy and ask for it or any other one then compare their nutrients volume and make your pick.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Mati4christ: 10:05pm On Aug 03, 2016
sayoberry:
mamas wet no dey ask of anybody *folds arms*
anyways.... how have you all been? how is babyies smiley the twins has not given me time for myself at all... infact... I just thank God. if i was working in an office before I had them, dey for son sack me tey tey

so I have JUST WEANED the twins. at ONE YEAR FIVE MONTHS.

I put it in caps so you will clap for me ni o.
although iim still tempted to chook breast once a while. I just weaned them yesterday. twin girl has been shouting "mam best, best" (mum breast) which can be quite embarrassing when we go out.

twin boy is still suckin his thumb. sad

Mama u v tryd m seriously clappn for u. Ur thot flashd ma mind sm weeks bak as I had nt read any update abt d twins....... God bless ur effort n may ur los mk u proud. As for ur tummy dt still luks preggy, hs it gone down nw?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 10:19pm On Aug 03, 2016
Wow sayoberry it's really been a while! Glad to know you all a doing great! Well-done mama and kisses to the twins kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2016
Fortius:
enkaydewdrop hw far sis..gv pcm b4 leavin d house nd aftawards...

cutie999 welxum mam..for me na to wash d feeding bottles,plates,spoons nd odas wt brush nd pour very
hot water nd cover up for 30mins o nd my lucas neva had any issue wt his system o,i get confused wt all dose tablet tin..am jst a typical local mama pls dnt get it twisted sis all my sabi mamas suggestion maks sense jst choose d one dat suits u..kisses to damisi

My sis, na d same method we dey use o and I don't have any issue with my baby. Na this ctry wey light no dey person go dey buy all those electric stuff and u end up not using them.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) (580) (581) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.