Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,748 members, 7,840,905 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (868) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4437022 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Chanbaby: 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2017
luscioustrish:
Good morning mummies,,,my son is 6 months plus and I just started him on nutriben,he was exclusively breastfed,what else can I add to it? Does he need formular?

Pls mama how were u able to do exclusive bf for 6months for ur baby boy. For the past 2days my sons demand has increased tremendously. I want to add formula but DH is begging me seriously to continue Ebf. He always suck me dry and will still be putting his hand in his mouth. He is just 9weeks old.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 6:49pm On Apr 20, 2017
can we feed oats from 6 months or wait a bit longer?

feddy27:

You can blend at home using your dry mill.

To make it, mix with water and put on the fire. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add banana or apple to sweeten with plenty milk.

You can also make dates syrup and use as sweetener for babies. Buy dates (dabino), wash, remove the seed and blend it smooth. U can add to their meals
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by luscioustrish(f): 6:56pm On Apr 20, 2017
Chanbaby:

Pls mama how were u able to do exclusive bf for 6months for ur baby boy. For the past 2days my sons demand has increased tremendously. I want to add formula but DH is begging me seriously to continue Ebf. He always suck me dry and will still be putting his hand in his mouth. He is just 9weeks old.

I drank lots of tea and pap maybe you should try that..
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by GodMercy2015: 7:55pm On Apr 20, 2017
I hail all wonderful mamas on this thread, may God bless and keep our Los.

My baby boy will be one next week and want to switch is formula to full cream milk, which brand is suitable babies of one year old or should I continue with toddler milk. I confused jare.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olamitie: 8:32pm On Apr 20, 2017
sugah:

Are there any reviews on the site you saw it on?
none, but the review on aliexpress is not bad..
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jaysmama(f): 8:34pm On Apr 20, 2017
Chanbaby:

I am an advocate for exclusive breastfeeding. Right before I had kids I had decided that I would do the 6 months minimum. I breastfed my first kid for 6 months and then gave him formula subsequently he weaned himself at 10 months. My second for 2 and a half years I actually stopped breastfeeding him when I got pregnant with my last baby. He never tasted formula even his cereals I used to mix it with breastmilk. I plan to fo the same for my last now.Breastfeeding is very hard o especially at the beginning and it takes commitment. Babies by nature enjoy sucking so it's not all the time that they are hungry when they put their hands in their mouth. Sometimes it's just for comfort. They also go through growth spurts where you will notice they just want to eat all the time and sleep a lot. I would encourage you to hang in there eat when you are hungry put the baby to breast anytime he wants it. As you breastfeed more the flow will increase . If you can express do so and let your hubby feed him so you can take a break. If I have to go shopping I express milk for my baby if he wakes up hungry my hubby warms the milk and feeds him. One other thing is that your baby will have good immunity my kids are rarely sick. If you are stressed you can start giving formula now but try and see if you can do the 6 months before you know time will fly. No mind my epistle jare

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by phummy1821: 9:07pm On Apr 20, 2017
Thanks feddy for this tips, please can I give my 5 months old these? He is already taking guinea corn pap with milk.
feddy27:

I decided to make homemade meals for my daughter.

Examples of what she takes:

1. Sweet potatoes+chicken+peas
2. Millet/Guineacorn pap + apples + milk (I make the pap by myself)
3. Ground rice + carrot + milk
4. Oats +banana + milk
5. Maize pap + peanut butter or avocado + milk
5. Irish potatoes + carrots + fish

All these meals listed above, I blend them to puree, add formula before giving it to her. You can try to play around recipes too. Check mummysyum.com; you will get nice ideas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hotmomma(f): 9:28pm On Apr 20, 2017
Yeah! Our experienced mamas are out giving out what they know best! Pure advices based on experience.

To some of my questions grin mama feddy27, sugah pls get in here.

These food combos, can it be stored or it must be consumed immediately, I.e can I make it in d morning and pack it up for creche?

Quacker oat was mentioned by sugah, can that be consumed by a six month old, I ask cos my mum wasn't in support and I had to get Gerber oat in d pics attached.

Ds is 5months+, and ebf, can these your combos be used at exactly 6months cos I told to use d contents in d pics attached to welcome him to solids lol. Abeg what's your take in this?
Nb abeg after that similac finish, I wan switch to lactogen hope it won't be an issue.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maradelkitchen(f): 9:31pm On Apr 20, 2017
sugah:

One doesn't really need to eat for two to make breastmilk. You only need about 500calories more to sustain a good supply...That said, you need about 5 small meals a day but don't suddenly reduce your intake cos the sudden decrease would affect your supply. Substitute high carb foods for moderate carb ones... That's sweet potatoes for yam, oatmeal for garri, eat lots of vegetables and stay very hydrated.
Don't take very heavy meals at nighttime.
Exercises would also help.
thanks so much ma'am.I'll sure stick to it

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 9:46pm On Apr 20, 2017
olamitie:
none, but the review on aliexpress is not bad..

I'd say go for it.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 9:52pm On Apr 20, 2017
zaynie:

Hahahhaha cheesy
Me, I am a full fledged OgiVoltron, defender of all things pap-y. grin
Don't make me list all the benefits of pap o.... cheesy cheesy cheesy
lolz grin grin ogivoltron here too tongue

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 9:56pm On Apr 20, 2017
GodMercy2015:
I hail all wonderful mamas on this thread, may God bless and keep our Los.

My baby boy will be one next week and want to switch is formula to full cream milk, which brand is suitable babies of one year old or should I continue with toddler milk. I confused jare.
Toddler or full cream milk whichever one you like.will do.just right.
Any toddler milk of your choice that you can afford and any full cream milk, Take note of the full and not go for filled milk.
My usual brand is dano or peak.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 10:13pm On Apr 20, 2017
Hotmomma how are you doing dear?

I'd try and answer as much as I can grin

I prep my foods for the week and store in the freezer. (Pix attached) If you have good power supply you can do same..Then just put the frozen foods in a plate and cover it to take to creche..It should have melted and ready for consumption by the time he needs to eat it. They can just mix in the milk and feed.

I started feeding my LO from 6months. Initially I was making it the way Feddy described (as a porridge) but I switched to making it into swallow and feeding him with soup.
The Gerber oatmeal is a cereal that you just mix with milk. Don't limit him to just cereals, give him more of homemade nutritious foods.

No don't start with the combos. You need to gradually introduce each food to him to watch for allergy. E.g you give pureed potatoes mixed milk then you repeat again cos he might not accept the foods outrightly as he is only used to breastmilk. Then when he accepts and there's no allergic reaction, you add carrots or egg yolk. Then eventually increase the combo.

Hope you are already putting soup in his mouth with your fingers while you eat, it helps prepare thier taste buds I think. He was already struggling with me for my foods cos I make sure I carried him while eating swallow, I guess that's why it's his favorite meal. grin

A favorite and easy first meal is Amala and okro soup/ewedu with plenty crayfish. Cos he only knows how to suck now so swallowing​ Amala and a slimy soup might be easier than cereal.

For the milk, as long as he doesn't react to it I guess it's fine. And Feddy says it's good.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hotmomma(f): 10:34pm On Apr 20, 2017
Iya ayomide, I am fine. How's Ayo?

Thanks a lot for the response.
I put very small soup with d tip of my finger and the way he licked d bitterleaf today ehen! No be small something.

All your comments are noted. Thanks a lot once again

Cc: Sugah
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 12:32am On Apr 21, 2017
We are doing great dear, thanks.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 7:48am On Apr 21, 2017
Liftedhands:
lolz grin grin ogivoltron here too tongue

Dear Ogivoltrons, grin grin

at what month can we start ogi and how do we make it nutritious?
Dd will be 5 months next week, and I am gradually gearing up for 6 months

Zaynie & Liftedhands
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:17am On Apr 21, 2017
enque:

Zaynie & Liftedhands

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:38am On Apr 21, 2017
hotmomma:
Yeah! Our experienced mamas are out giving out what they know best! Pure advices based on experience.

To some of my questions grin mama fed.dy27, sug.ah pls get in here.

These food combos, can it be stored or it must be consumed immediately, I.e can I make it in d morning and pack it up for creche?

Quacker oat was mentioned by sugah, can that be consumed by a six month old, I ask cos my mum wasn't in support and I had to get Gerber oat in d pics attached.

Ds is 5months+, and ebf, can these your combos be used at exactly 6months cos I told to use d contents in d pics attached to welcome him to solids lol. Abeg what's your take in this?
Nb abeg after that similac finish, I wan switch to lactogen hope it won't be an issue.

As suga.h has mentioned start with single flavours and foods before you start combining.

For starters keep the textures pappy hen you can gradually make it thicker and chunkier.

I have all my own food notes here:

http://alphahandmaiden..co.uk/?m=1

At least i can refer to it for future references. grin

For creche food i will be inclined to say keep out the milk and let them mix in the milk when they are ready to serve. Purely because on the formula packaging they say discard after 2 hours so you really dont want to mix milk down at 7:00 and they dont feed baby till 15:00.

Pap can keep well and they can warm by putting in hot water. This is also applicable in my opinion to vegetable based food.

If however you add fish, meat or chicken, please ensure they heat it thoroughly and let it cool before feeding baby.

The difference between normal oats and any baby brand oats are simply they have blended it and formulated it to be mixed with milk only without cooking and added extra vitamins.

You are paying for the convenience of making small portions. It is easier to take 4 scoops, add milk and done.
However, You can blend your own oats and cook then add banana and formula (which is fortified with vitamins and minerals)and you basically have the same thing.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 8:50am On Apr 21, 2017
iomoge2:
Su..gah,fed..dy27 n all sabi mamas.

Please wat do you use to mash food for lo?

I dont even know where to start from...

Then blending chicken or fish.... what blender?
My home blender is used 4 pepper.
Can i still use it?

The dates syrup.... water will be added right?

Is your baby up to 8 months? If not, she needs pureed foods not mashed foods

I use my regular blender at home. Wat I do is dis, I fill warm water inside and "blend" to remove every particle like pepper dat might be hiding before I blend baby's food.

Yes, you add water to the dates

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 8:55am On Apr 21, 2017
hotmomma:

To some of my questions grin mama fe..ddy27, su..gah pls get in here.

If you have dis milk dispenser container, you can measure them up there and they prepare it when baby is ready to eat and discard wateva remains.

When introducing baby to cereals, start with single grains and watch for reactions. Yes, you can use those in the pics. Make them individually with milk. Also, start with 2-3teaspoons and gradually increase wen he gets a hang of it.

Switiching to lactogen should nt be a problem; I switched from Enfamil to lactogen to for my daughter and she's got no issues watsoeva.

Please try introduce fruit purees to him as well.

Yes, quacker oats can be consumed by 6 months old, ensure you blend it

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 9:00am On Apr 21, 2017
enque:
can we feed oats from 6 months or wait a bit longer?

Yes you can feed oats from 6 months. You can add pureed banana or apples to it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 9:04am On Apr 21, 2017
sugarcanebaby:
hello team I. he is six months o. same AGe with fedora. its still there.

Wao..dis stooling has stayed long o

Wat is his diet like? wat do you normally feed him with?

AV you taken him to see a paed?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 9:14am On Apr 21, 2017
enque:

Zay..nie & Lifted..hands

To make you ogi nutritious, add a lot of milk + fruits and veg

You can have the following combos:

1. Ogi + banana + milk
2. Ogi + peanut butter + milk
3. Ogi + potato&chicken puree ( I cook sweet or irish potatoes + chicken breast + carrot and blend all together)
4. Ogi + pureed strawberry or apple or blueberry + milk
5. Ogi + pureed carrots + milk
6. Ogi + oats + milk
7. Ogi + Fish&carrot puree + milk (boil mackerel fish + carrot and blend together)

3 Likes 10 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 9:18am On Apr 21, 2017
Thanks Ma

feddy27:

To make you ogi nutritious, add a lot of milk + fruits and veg

You can have the following combos:

1. Ogi + banana + milk
2. Ogi + peanut butter + milk
3. Ogi + potato&chicken puree ( I cook sweet or irish potatoes + chicken breast + carrot and blend all together)
4. Ogi + pureed strawberry or apple or blueberry + milk

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jesufifunmi: 9:30am On Apr 21, 2017
sugah:

I got a chinco pump too (kinyo) and it's been serving me fine since my Medela packed up. But mine sef was quite expensive (33k or so), this is too cheap so it looks too good to be true. That's just my thoughts sha, you might be lucky
Abeg wetin happen to your medela? My power pack got burnt so i intend to replace it. But then i am scared it might have affected the real engine. Haven't tried it with battery though. Sebi they said repair is free? Don't want anything to happen to that thing o, dollar is not smiling this time around angry
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 9:33am On Apr 21, 2017
You can use it with the battery. Works well

jesufifunmi:
Abeg wetin happen to your medela? My power pack got burnt so i intend to replace it. But then i am scared it might have affected the real engine. Haven't tried it with battery though. Sebi they said repair is free? Don't want anything to happen to that thing o, dollar is not smiling this time around angry
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 9:34am On Apr 21, 2017
phummy1821:
Thanks feddy for this tips, please can I give my 5 months old these? He is already taking guinea corn pap with milk.

I actually started all these with my daughter from 5 months. so u can give it a try. Introduce new foods gently, give 4 days interval to check for reaction and take note of what he likes. Eg my daughter struggles to take oats alone but if I add to pap, she finished it witout blinking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 9:49am On Apr 21, 2017
jesufifunmi:
The power pack got burnt, I called thier customer care from Naija and they sent a brand new pump to the US address I provided. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get through to my friend whose address I used so the pump is still stuck in the US. They would most likely replace the whole pump.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jesufifunmi: 10:11am On Apr 21, 2017
hunniesuzie:
You can use it with the battery. Works well

But I noticed the suction is not as strong when using with the battery. Or may be my battery brands aren't strong enough. Will definitely try it again when i have milk in my breast to try with.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jesufifunmi: 10:13am On Apr 21, 2017
sugah:

The power pack got burnt, I called thier customer care from Naija and they sent a brand new pump to the US address I provided. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get through to my friend whose address I used so the pump is still stuck in the US. They would most likely replace the whole pump.
A brand new pump? shocked *dancing palongo* But does this warranty period have an end? I bought mine about 2 years ago o.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by feddy27: 10:14am On Apr 21, 2017
Chanbaby:

If you want to do exclusive successfully, you have to get a good breast pump. This will help you pump and store to feed later. Exclusive does not mean you must always feed from ur b.r.easts directly. Pump enough, store in the freezer. when he's ready to eat, you can warm and give someone to serve him while you take a rest

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 10:19am On Apr 21, 2017
jesufifunmi:
A brand new pump? shocked *dancing palongo* But does this warranty period have an end? I bought mine about 2 years ago o.
I don't know about warranty period. Just call them and see

(1) (2) (3) ... (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: omotolly22(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.