Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model (1632 Views)

Any1 Dat Sell Infinty Jeep 1994 Model Call Me / Your Views On BMW I3 ? (Photo) / Advice Needed Pls: On BMW X5 (2002) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by redcliff: 11:36pm On Jun 23, 2012
Hi house. I wanted to buy a car from germany but my uncle over there was like he has a bmw 320 he wants to give out, if I would like to have it. I was happy and at the same time not happy cos its a bmw. But its a really good offer so I could not reject it. So I'l be sending him some money for the shipment. My question is this. How reliable is this car in terms of fuel consumption, readily available parts, maintenance and durability. I don't mind(infact I want) ideas from owners and pervious owners.

Thanks
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by ZUBY77(m): 5:36am On Jun 24, 2012
I use BMW 325 double exhaust. 6 cylinder sealed engine with 260 on the speed clock. Runs like hell. It uses E36 series of spare parts with 320, so the parts are available everywhere. Fuel consumption isnt that bad since i drive from Onitsha to Lag on a single full tank.
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by yungboss(m): 7:31am On Jun 24, 2012
ha ha, look at my profile pic and you'l see a bmw, that's a 320i...e36. I got it at 69,000km and now its got 80,596km on it. That car is wonderful... Single exhaust tail unlike the 323/5/8i. Its 6cyl...the car is not as fast as a 325i or 328i performs better than a 2002 V6 toyota avalon, and a '98 camry v6 cos its got better handling.
0 to 60mph=9.2s
0 to 100=16.9s
max speed limited=214km/h (133mph)
unlimited=250km/h
gear auto/manual=5spd.

The car is very good on gas, better than my previous benz C220...reliable. Bought mine last year july, till date i haven't had an overheating issue, service 3monthly,only done suspension issues and my steering pump and thats all. I use it to travel and no issues. Go to www.carinf.com and get more info. I'm planning to get a e36 '96 /328i/325i or a 95 e36 M3 or an e46 330i next yr. Get the car you'l have no issues bro its a good choice you'l be making.
Watch out for your cooling system tho, i just noticed a very subtle leak in my radiator i'l get it fixed asap...
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by redcliff: 7:32am On Jun 24, 2012
Thabks for ur reply I really appreciate. But u did not say anything in terms of cost cos that one sef is very important. My neighbours eho live opposite the street got two bmw cars and one is parked outside and the other inside the compound and they no longer use it so I'm guessing that they are tired of fixing the thing..I'l like to know if its a kind of car a young guy can maintain.
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by ZUBY77(m): 7:51am On Jun 24, 2012
The only problem i have with mine is radiator. It overheates if it stands on a hold up for about 20 minutes or more. I changed the radiator from the one it came with. I actually bought it myself in Berlin Germany and thats why its difficult for me to dispose. the car overall balance on motion is perfect. It dusts all the toyotas on a freeway
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by yungboss(m): 8:02am On Jun 24, 2012
redcliff: Thabks for ur reply I really appreciate. But u did not say anything in terms of cost cos that one sef is very important. My neighbours eho live opposite the street got two bmw cars and one is parked outside and the other inside the compound and they no longer use it so I'm guessing that they are tired of fixing the thing..I'l like to know if its a kind of car a young guy can maintain.
cost...ok my experience has been...little or no cost. Why i did suspension overhaul was because wwhen i bought it, the ball joints were bad, the front shocks were bad and the right back shock too. Bought the rear shocks (in port harcourt) for N12,5OO, ball joints N3000, sway bar links N1500, rear shock mounts (what holds them to the body) 2500 (suspecting i was cheated) steering pump N8k or so, cant remember, after market front shocks both (N5k), but there rear shocks were brand new (N12,500) after market costs N5k. Thyroids N2,500 or so...these are basically the things i've done since last year and they still serve me pristine till today. Though i choose the kind of potholes i enter grin.
I wake up everyday and drive the car, not had any issues with it, just pay attention to details. I service it when the indicator on the dashbord tells me to...
Then u might have little issue with your central lock (switch keeps popping when you press it). It could just be the central lock pump (N1,500)...serviced my gear box. I used the ATF Abro 6 bottles (N600x6) gearbox oil filter N2,500...
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by yungboss(m): 8:09am On Jun 24, 2012
ZUBY77: The only problem i have with mine is radiator. It overheates if it stands on a hold up for about 20 minutes or more. I changed the radiator from the one it came with. I actually bought it myself in Berlin Germany and thats why its difficult for me to dispose. the car overall balance on motion is perfect. It dusts all the toyotas on a freeway
so did it take care of the prob, cos i have just noticed a very minor leak in my radiator, though it doesn't overheat yet. Did you bleed it when it first overheated...its very easy to do...
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by redcliff: 9:55am On Jun 24, 2012
I'm so happy with the info u guys gave me. I'l defintely stick with the ride.
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by Ikenna351(m): 11:34am On Jun 24, 2012
ZUBY77: The only problem i have with mine is radiator. It overheates if it stands on a hold up for about 20 minutes or more. I changed the radiator from the one it came with. I actually bought it myself in Berlin Germany and thats why its difficult for me to dispose. the car overall balance on motion is perfect. It dusts all the toyotas on a freeway

Most times, the overheating issues with BMWs & Benz in Nigeria has nothing to do with the radiator sizes but the Viscous mechanical cooling fan.

RWD cars do come with Viscous fan, as factory. The fan is mechanical, but not as the mechanical fans bolted to the engine/water pump, as found in Peugeot 504/505 assembled in Nigeria. The Viscous fan uses clutch & spin independently from the water pump shaft, as engine spins. The speed of the fan wont be enough to suck heat out of the radiator. But as soon as the engine temp tries to rise beyond optimal temp, the fan will de-clutch & engage with the water pump shaft & will be driven by the shaft. Thats when the fan starts it work, sucking out heat or pushing in cool air through the radiator to reduce the hot temp of the fluid inside.

All am saying is, if the viscous fan clutch fails, the fan will stop doing its work, even though you will see it spinning, but not speed enough to do the cooling work. Over there in the western world, they understand how the Viscous fan works & would simply replace it when the fan's clutch fails. But here, we would blame the radiator & would always complain that Benz & BMW are peculiar with overheating issue.

The way out: Electric fan conversion.

My Peugeot 505 V6 had the same Viscous mechanical fan, being a foreign assembled Lion. The fan's clutch at a point failed. I made attempt to replace it. Actually bought a used one at APO mechanic Village here in Abuja (since new wont be available, which I didnt bother to check, anyway). The used one I bought too failed to work & overheated the engine the day i swapped it in. I then simply did the electric fan conversion & have been having peace of mind since then. I did the conversion myself. Infact, i now gained more hp out of the engine, since the mechanical fan saps power from the engine (though i now miss the roaring sound of the engine a bit, not all). Electric fan also increases the fuel economy.

If I were you, I would simply convert it to electric. And its an easy installation. You will have so much to gain from the conversion.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by ZUBY77(m): 12:57pm On Jun 24, 2012
yungboss:
so did it take care of the prob, cos i have just noticed a very minor leak in my radiator, though it doesn't overheat yet. Did you bleed it when it first overheated...its very easy to do...

Yea, i bleeded it and it stopped. I have not been in a major hold up again yet
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by ZUBY77(m): 1:01pm On Jun 24, 2012
Ikenna351:

Most times, the overheating issues with BMWs & Benz in Nigeria has nothing to do with the radiator sizes but the Viscous mechanical cooling fan.

RWD cars do come with Viscous fan, as factory. The fan is mechanical, but not as the mechanical fans bolted to the engine/water pump, as found in Peugeot 504/505 assembled in Nigeria. The Viscous fan uses clutch & spin independently from the water pump shaft, as engine spins. The speed of the fan wont be enough to suck heat out of the radiator. But as soon as the engine temp tries to rise beyond optimal temp, the fan will de-clutch & engage with the water pump shaft & will be driven by the shaft. Thats when the fan starts it work, sucking out heat or pushing in cool air through the radiator to reduce the hot temp of the fluid inside.

All am saying is, if the viscous fan clutch fails, the fan will stop doing its work, even though you will see it spinning, but not speed enough to do the cooling work. Over there in the western world, they understand how the Viscous fan works & would simply replace it when the fan's clutch fails. But here, we would blame the radiator & would always complain that Benz & BMW are peculiar with overheating issue.

The way out: Electric fan conversion.

My Peugeot 505 V6 had the same Viscous mechanical fan, being a foreign assembled Lion. The fan's clutch at a point failed. I made attempt to replace it. Actually bought a used one at APO mechanic Village here in Abuja (since new wont be available, which I didnt bother to check, anyway). The used one I bought too failed to work & overheated the engine the day i swapped it in. I then simply did the electric fan conversion & have been having peace of mind since then. I did the conversion myself. Infact, i now gained more hp out of the engine, since the mechanical fan saps power from the engine (though i now miss the roaring sound of the engine a bit, not all). Electric fan also increases the fuel economy.

If I were you, I would simply convert it to electric. And its an easy installation. You will have so much to gain from the conversion.

Ikenna.

This sounds good. So if i go to spare parts market, what will i be looking for?
I mean the tools for the electric conversion and how to do it.
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by Ikenna351(m): 2:08pm On Jun 24, 2012
ZUBY77:

This sounds good. So if i go to spare parts market, what will i be looking for?
I mean the tools for the electric conversion and how to do it.

I took some pics while I was doing the conversion, which I always do whenever am working on my car. The pics will explain everything. But the pics will need to be resized to be able to upload them here. Will do that tomorrow at office.

Ikenna.
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by redcliff: 1:48am On Jun 25, 2012
This baby we are talking about, how much is a tokunbo worth in the market? Cos I have no idea of bmw prices.
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by yungboss(m): 7:19am On Jun 25, 2012
you've got to find out from car ealers...i'm sure it's in the region of N800k
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by redcliff: 8:13am On Jun 25, 2012
Wow that's some change. When I get mine I'l see if I can sell to buy something japanese, if not, I'l just use the thing. Thanks y'all especially u young boss
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by yungboss(m): 10:27am On Jun 25, 2012
you'r welcome mr redcliff
Re: What's Ur Take On BMW 320 1994 Model by Mist100: 5:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
Is this a good car?

(1) (Reply)

Another Vehicle Suspended On Iron Proctector On Oba Ovoramwen Square In Benin / Its A Murano A Good Choice Than Honda Element? / Pls Help Me Fix My Key(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.