Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,233 members, 7,836,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun (3083 Views)

Tafa Balogun Arrived Court In Handcuffs (Throwback Pic) / Photos: Ex-Police IG, Tafa Balogun Celebrates Wife's 60th Birthday / Ibru, George, Others To Lose National Honours • Tafa Balogun, Erastus Akingbola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun by BigB11(m): 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2007
Former Police Inspector General Ehindero was a bigger thief than Tafa Balogun

As our headline, which is the title of a novel suggests, the lid was blown off the corrupt three-year administration of the former Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, yesterday when a police commissioner and others were arrested with millions of naira in a luggage. Apart from confirming the scandal, the new police hierarchy led by Mr. Mike Okiro, also ordered the detention of the police officer and other aides of the former IGP arrested in connection with the loot.

P.M.News investigations revealed that the drama started when a police aide of Ehindero was arrested when he went into the IGP’s office and brought out a travel bag said to belong to Ehindero.

The new IGP, Mike Okiro, who was in the office at the time, was said to have ordered that the bag be searched.

On searching the bag, millions of naira in both local and foreign currencies, worth N27 million, were allegedly found in it.

On interrogation, the aide confessed to Okiro that it was Ehindero who asked him to bring the bag and that the money belonged to the former police boss.

The arrested aide also reportedly identified other police officers keeping various sums of police money in their offices.

This revelation led to the arrest of the Commissioner of Police in charge of Budget, Mr. Sunday Obaniyi, who was reportedly found stuffing millions of naira in local and foreign notes worth N200 million into a box in his office.

Obaniyi allegedly confessed during interrogation that the money belonged to Ehindero and he was immediately taken to Okiro who ordered his detention.

Those arrested are currently being detained on the 7th floor of the Louis Edet Police Headquarters in Abuja.

Police sources told P.M.News that the new police boss, Okiro, was particularly irked that Ehindero left behind N4 million in the police account only for him to send some officer to cart away millions of naira.

Investigations revealed further that Ehindero waited this late to remove his loot from his office because he never thought he could be removed so hastily by the Yar’Adua administration.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo was said to have assured him that Yar’Adua had granted him a two-month tenure extension but was shocked when Yar’Adua asked him to hand over to the next senior police officer.

Sources at the police headquarters in Abuja described Ehindero as another police officer worse than the disgraced former Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Tafa Balogun.

The song on the lips of many policemen interviewed this morning on the startling revelations was ‘Oga na thief man’.

P.M.News reports that Ehindero’s two-year tenure as police boss was characterized by massive corruption and unresolved assassinations.

It was during his tenure that Engineer Funsho Williams, a PDP chieftain in Lagos, was killed by unknown assassins.

Up till now, the police are yet to bring the killers to book.

Ehindero also made questionable promotions in the force while he held sway.

http://saharareporters.com/www/report/detail/?id=314
Re: Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun by BigB11(m): 4:10pm On Nov 28, 2007
Ehindero's Tenure Expires

This guy should be kicked out like yesterday! Why should he be asking for an extension a second time?!? What does he want - especially as he is such a terrible failure of an I-G?

Auspy.

ABUJA — UNCERTAINTY, last night, surrounded the fate of the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, following the expiration of his tenure.
Although Mr. Ehindero applied for a six-month extension of his tenure from today, President Olusegun Obasanjo is yet to give his nod.

Indeed, the IG was to have proceeded on retirement in 2005 after serving for 35 years. He, however, applied for and got one year extension which expired yesterday.
It was gathered that some state governors who are also members of the Police Council are opposing the fresh extension sought by Mr. Ehindero.

The governors’ opposition, Vanguard gathered, might not be unconnected with some of the postings recently carried out by Ehindero which, sources say, were aimed at positioning the police to favour particular political camps in the 2007 elections.

One of the reasons cited for the opposition include the high rate of robbery and killings, which they say is on the increase in the land without any hope that such criminality would be addressed.
As it is now, the Police hierarchy and officers and men are said to be in a dilemma as to who will be calling the shots from the Force Headquarters from today.

Go Ehindero, GO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is he still there? Somebody kick him out already!

Auspy.

The President of the West African Bar Association, Mr. Femi Falana and a Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, on Tuesday, faulted the bid of the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehinero, to extend his tenure.

Inspector-General of Police, Sunday Ehindero

The legal practitioners who spoke during separate interviews with our correspondent in Lagos, insisted that Ehindero‘s move was illegal and unconstitutional.

Ehindero was said to have approached President Olusegun Obasanjo and applied for extension of his office.

But our correspondents’ investigations revealed that Ehindero had attained the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.

Sections 214 and 215 of the 1999 Constitution which make provisions on the appointment and tenure of the office of the Inspector-General did not provide for extension of the tenure of office.

Section 214 (2) of the Constitution, provides ”Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the Nigeria Police Force shall be organised and administered in accordance with such provisions as may be prescribed by the Act of the National Assembly”

Section 215 (1) (a) also provides ”An Inspector-General of Police who, subject to section 216 (2) of this Constitution shall be appointed by the President on the advice of the Nigeria Police Council from among the serving members of the Nigeria Police Force”

Our correspondents also discovered that the two legislations in this regard, viz, The Police Act and the Civil Service Regulations did not provide for tenure extension.

Falana said, Section 215 provides ”An Inspector-General of Police shall be appointed by the President on the advice of the Nigeria Police Council from among the serving members of the Nigeria Police Force”

”Under the law, a public servant that has turned 60 or puts in 35 years can no longer function or seek to hold office.

”Ehindero turns 60 last March, he ought to have retired before now, but the President had illegally extended his tenure. Any other extension will be a continuation of illegality.

”Now, we need the police chief that will fight the rising wave of armed robbery and other dangerous crimes. Any attempt to extend Ehindero‘s tenure now will be fought by the civil society.

“At this moment, we have no Police Service Commission, the tenure of the last one has expired and the Senate is yet to ratify the list of the new nominees sent to it. But why extending Ehindero‘s tenure? Are there no other capable police officers?

”Ehindero who could not guarantee the safe conduct of the party primaries? How do we trust him to guide the nation through this year general elections. His tenure is over and extending same will be an illegality.”

Adegboruwa said there was no basis for extension of Ehindero‘s office.

He said ” Under Sections 214 and 215 of the 1999 Constitution, the Inspector-General of the Police is a civil servant. Under the Police Act, he is also regarded as a civil servant.

”His appointment is guided by the Civil Service Rules and the Police Act. There is no legal basis for Ehindero‘s bid for tenure extension.

“Legally speaking, Obasanjo has no power to extend the tenure. He can only engage him on contractual basis but not as a substantive IG for the nation.”

”So the rule of 35 years in service and 60 years of age also apply to him. Once you have spent 35 years in service or attain 60 years of age, any IG has to leave the stage for other young, dynamic officers.”.

Nonsense!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Err, what really is the function of the Police Affairs Commission and the Police Affairs ministry, if the police Inspector General has to personally visit the President to "remind" him that his (the IG's) tunure is expired?

Auspicious.

OBJ extends Ehindero’s tenure till May

PRESIDENT Olusegun Obasanjo has further extended the tenure of Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, till May 29, 2007. Ehindero’s tenure had earlier been extended by one year on March 20, 2006 when he personally reminded the president officially that his tenure had come to an end.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that the police boss again took his case to the president last week, informing him that his earlier extended tenure had again ended. A source told the Nigerian Tribune that President Obasanjo told Ehindero that his tenure had further been extended till May 29.

The president was said to have told the Inspector General that the time was too short for him to start looking for another Inspector General at this crucial moment in the nation’s history.

He was said to have impressed it on Ehindero the need for him to stay on till the said date so as to organise the security for the forthcoming general election which he (President Obasanjo) was said to have described as a landmark as it would be the first transition from one civilian administration to another.

The development has now laid to rest speculations as to who would succeed Ehindero whose tenure, after the first extension, would have ended on March 19. The president is at liberty to appoint any Commissioner of Police (CP), Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) and Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) as Inspector General.

Meanwhile, Mr. Ehindero, on Wednesday, read the Riot Act to all religious fanatics planning to foment trouble in the country over the execution of former Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein. The police boss, who warned them not to test the might of his men, said the police were ready to deal with miscreants who would want to hide under religion to truncate democracy in the country.

Ehindero, who spoke through the Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), Mr. Haz Iwendi, on the telephone with the Nigerian Tribune, said directives had been given to all police formations across the country to beef up security in their respective states and deal decisively with all those causing trouble.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/board/main-square/34184-ehinderos-tenure-expires.html
Re: Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun by BigB11(m): 4:28pm On Nov 28, 2007
Ehindero Parades Ige`s Alleged Killers: `They Planned with Mariam Abacha`s Driver`

Ige's killers planned with Mariam Abacha's driver— EHINDERO

*No hands in Ige's death, say suspects

ABUJA—Alhaji Moshood Enefeni, the prime suspect paraded in the killing of the former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige, yesterday publicly denied ever having a hand in it, saying he is being framed up by the government agent posing as witness in the murder case.

The other suspects paraded alongside the prime suspects by the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mr. Sunday Ehindero at the Force Headquarters, who include, Oluwatoyin Onafekon, Suraju Fatuka and Saidi Akande, all denied they knew anything about the gruesome murder of the nation’s former number one law officer.

Alhaji Moshood, who was apparently oblivious of the purpose of their mission to the IGP conference, the venue of the parade, stunned the audience when asked by the IGP, to give account of what he knew about Chief Ige’s murder said, “it is funny. It is like we are in the theatre of drama”.

But the Inspector General of Police revealed that the suspects planned with the driver of the late Head of state Mrs. Mariam Abacha in the cell to eliminate Chief Ige, after all enteritis to him to soft pedal on the trial of the prime suspects who is a drug baron failed.

According to Mr. Ehindero: “Let me start first by apologising for not being able to have this press conference on Thursday. Just as the air operators will say, it was due to operational reasons”.

“But I am happy that we are in better step now to review some of these cases. The reasons why yesterday I couldn’t get the press briefing was mainly because I want the evidence, part of the evidence to be there. And I believe it is here. In the other one too, I wanted the evidence. Because for police, it is not that goods were stolen, the evident is that who stole the goods”.

“If you go to court and say good was stolen, the court is not interest, it is interested who stole. And that was why we have to polish it, get some of the evidence and it is for you to judge. I want to say that it is only by divine providence that we have been able to have breakthrough in some of these cases. You remember last time when I briefed you; we started with the case of Hajia Rimi. Of course we found all those who committed the murder of the wife and they are now being tried”.

“Today I will address you on the case of the murder of Bola Ige. Now in relation to Bola Ige’s case, so many theories have been made. I want to say that there no case that is closed that is never opened. Every case is opened. And people who have useful information should come forward.

“Anybody who is also putting political theory, let him come forward with is political theory and give us evidence. The only thing we don’t accept here is metaphysic. You know metaphysic, babalawo, you know the law of evident doesn’t accept that. But if you have any other evidence, give us. But in as much as we have evidence that is admissible, we will present them”.

“Of course you are all aware about the murder of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige, (SAN) on the 23rd of December 2001. Yes we said 2001, yes; some people have been taken to court, why are we still opening it? Of course when we have fresh evidence, we look at the case. And our own evidence is that we penetrated the prison and was able to find out what happened at that time in the prison yard.

“And we also gave one of those people who were in the prison when they hatched the whole idea of eliminating the Attorney General, because it did not accede to the request to mellow down into the case. First of all an attempt was made, they burgled the office in an attempt to find the case file. But they did not find the case file. They made enteritis to him; they sent people to him to beg him.

“You will hear from them. How Bola Ige went to court because of this case. Because of the quantity of the hard drugs that was recovered then. Now they planed with the driver of Mariam Abacha in the cell that the best thing to do was to eliminate him. And how after the elimination, there was jubilation there in the prison. So we will hear from the horse’s mouth”. The dialogue:

IGP: Alhaji Moshood!

Alhaji Moshood Enefeni: Yes Sir

IGP: Are you in the prison in 2001?

Alhaji Moshood: Yes, I was in prison

IGP: for what offence?

Alhaji Moshood: For drug offence

IGP: What quantity of drug?

Alhaji Moshood: 60 kilogram of cocaine

IGP: Were you there as awaiting trial or you were there as a convict?

Alhaji Moshood: I was there as awaiting trial and also as a convict.

IGP: How many years sentence were you given?

Alhaji Moshood: Three years
IGP: When you were there in the prison and during the prosecution, did the Attorney General appear in court in your case?

Alhaji Moshood: Yes, the Attorney General appeared once. Before he was murdered, there were three adjournments that the late Attorney General did not appear. He did not appear about two or three times before he was murdered.

IGP: Did you know the driver of Mariam Abacha?

Alhaji Moshood: Yes, we were all in the prison there. We knew each other; we interacted with each other, because we are in the same beat.

IGP: OK. Where is one of our witnesses is, is he around?

At this stage, a man, fully-turbanned to the point of no identification appeared

Alhaji Moshood: (Laughs) This is funny. It is funny. It is funny to me.

IGP: Alhaji wants to talk. Alhaji what do you say, you said it is funny. I am in control, Alhaji make your comment. You said it is funny?

Alhaji Moshood: Yes, it is funny. It is like we in theatre making drama sir, because I have no hand in the killing of Chief Bola Ige.

IGP: No, no, we are not talking now. Wait, we have not reached that stage. Now this person, he is a witness. And we want you to talk. Look at this man, do you know him?

The Witness: Yes I know him.

IGP: How do you know him?

The Witness: We met in the prison. He (Alhaji) met me there.

IGP: He met you at the prison, who are the other people who were in prison with him?

The Witness: Tonika (Oluwatoyin Onafekan).

IGP: Tell us generally what was happening in the prison when Alhaji Moshood was there.

The Witness: In the prison, it was just like a free world. When you come newly, you will tell what brought you. So Alhaji Moshood imported almost 13 containers which contain cocaine. And almost nine or 10 containers have already moved before they caught him with three containers. The cocaine was concealed in the tin of geisha. So they first arrested the white man who was the pilot. So two of them were brought to the prison. Later, because all of us are staying in the same building inside the cell, sometimes, they held meeting with Tonika, who is the overall marshal.

IGP: Tonika, they said you are the overall marshal, were you there (prison) before them?

Tonika: What he is saying is a lie. He is just lying.

IGP: Wait, wait, he didn’t say anything. He said you are the marshal.

Tonika: How can I be a marshal? I am not a convict person. Convict person is the overall marshal. I was the provost of myself in the prison.

IGP: But how long were you in the cell before him?

Tonika: I don’t know him.

IGP: No, no, how long were you in the prison?

Tonika: I was there for seven years and four months in detention without trial or conviction.

IGP: How many years were you there before Alhaji Moshood came?

Tonika: Almost six years.

IGP: Sit down, you will talk, we will give you time to talk

IGP’s press statement

It is my pleasure to update you and the general public on the progress so far achieved in respect of protracted investigation into the murder of former Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige. It is my belief that this briefing shall lay to rest the ghost of the appellation of “unresolved murder” and “unresolved assassination”.

MURDER OF CHIEF BOLA IGE SUSPECTS
1. Alhaji Moshood O. Enafeni
2. Oluwatoyin Onafekan
3. Suraju Faruka
4. Saidi Akande
5. Akeem at Large

*Chief Bola Ige SAN, former Attorney-General of the Federation, was gruesomely murdered on 23rd December 2001 at his Bodija residence in Ibadan .

*Chief Ige had just returned from Lagos and his security guards had left to feed, leaving the house porous.

*Two armed men were said to have entered the room held everybody hostage; ransacked the room and carted away cash of 200,000 and some jewelleries.

*The assailants went upstairs and shot Chief Bola Ige on the left side of his chest.

*His murder attracted widespread condemnation and call for high profile investigation.

*Political motives, vengeance of drug barons and all sorts of insinuation were canvassed for the murder. The investigation was long, tortuous, and eventually stalled.

Fresh information

*However, six years later, sometimes in January, 2007, an informant walked into the police station and volunteered fresh line information.

*The informant deposed that between 2001 and 2002, while serving a prison term in Ikoyi prisons, he over heard his fellow cellmate, Alhaji Moshood Olatunji Enafeni, a convicted drug baron, solicited the help of one driver to Mariam Abach to kill Chief Bola Ige then Minister of Justice.

* Chief Ige was personally prosecuting the NDLEA celebrated case of importation of 13 containers of hard drug in 2001 involving Alhaji Enafeni.

*When all attempts to bribe Chief Ige failed, Alhaji Enafeni hatched a plan to hire assassins to eliminate Chief Ige on 23rd December 2001. That when the news of the death reached the prisons, Alhaji Enafeni celebrated wildly.

*Four suspects above were arrested and quizzed.

*Alhaji Moshood Enafeni, from Ikorodu in Lagos , had worked with Nigeria Ports Authority and left for France in 1979; worked with French Ports Authority.

*He was arrested in 2001 for importing 13 containers of hard drugs into Nigeria , the largest single haul by the NDLEA. He was charged to court and convicted.

*Chief Bola Ige personally vetted the case file and prosecuted the case himself. He refused all inducements and appeals from prominent South West traditional rulers.

Police findings

The accounts of the Chief financier of the assassination plot, Alhaji Moshood Enafeni, are being investigated in order to further establish the case. The vehicle used for the operation was burnt and the thrown into the bush around Lagos Ibadan Expressway.
The death of Chief Bola Ige could therefore be said to be, for now, be drug-related until contrary evidence is received.

PUNCH

IG parades Ige’s killers -- It’s a charade - Ige’s daughter

The police on Friday paraded Alhaji Moshood Enafeni as the alleged drug baron behind the 2001 murder of former Minister of Justice, Cheief Bole Ige.

Three other suspects were also paraded by the Inspector General of Police, Mr Sunday Ehindero. their names were given as Onafekon, Suraju Fatuka and Saidi Akande. a fifth accused person was said to be at large.

At the press conference in Abuja, Ehindero presented a masked man, said to have overheard the drug baron discuss the plot to kill Ige in prison. The alleged baron, however, denied involvement in the murder.

In a swift response to the parade, the late Ige’s daughter, Mrs Funsho Adegbola, described the exercise as a charade. The former minister was killed on December 23, 2001 at his Bodija residence in Ibadan.

Enafeni, described the parade as a “drama.” He said though he was arrested and prosecuted by the Federal Government for importation of 13 containers of hard drugs into the country in 200 –the largest single haul by the Nigeria Drug Law Enforcement Agency then– he never believed the late minister was a hindrance to his freedom.

The suspect, who referred to himself as ‘former drug baron,” said he felt bad when the news of the death of Ige was broken to him and other suspects in the prison.

He said, “Yes, it was true that the late minister personally appeared in the case against me. But I never saw him as a person who was against my freedom. I felt bad when we heard that he was killed, despite the fact that he was in court against me. This was a man who actually fought for the masses in this country.”

Earlier, Ehindero had recounted how Ige was killed. He said several theories were propounded as reasons for the killing.

Ehindero said, “Political motives, vengeance of drug barons and all sorts of insinuations were canvassed for the murder. The investigation was long, tortuous and eventually stalled.

“However, six years later, sometimes in January 2007, an informant walked into a police station and later volunteered a fresh line of information. The informant deposed that between 2001 and 2002, while serving a prison term in Ikoyi Prison, he overheard his fellow cellmate, Alhaji Moshood Olatunji Enafeni, a convicted drug baron, solicit the help of one driver to the wife of a former head of state to kill Chief Bola Ige, then minister of Justice.

“Chief Ige was personally prosecuting the NDLEA celebrated case of importation of 13 containers of hard drug in 2001 involving Enafeni.”

The police IG further that when all efforts aimed at bribing the late minister failed, Enafeni hatched the plan to hire assassins to eliminate him (Ige). He added that when the news of the killing got to the prison, Enafeni celebrated it with the killing of a ram which his fellow inmates ate.

According to Ehindero, “Chief Ige personally vetted the case file and prosecuted the case himself. He refused all inducements and appeals from prominent South-West traditional rulers.” He, however, did not mention the names of the traditional rulers.

The police boss also said the accounts of Enafemi, whom he described as the financier of the assassination, were being investigated in order to further establish the case.

He alleged that the vehicle used for the operation was burnt and thrown into the bush around Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. He brought a masked person to testify against the accused persons, saying they would soon be prosecuted in court.

The masked witness said it was true that Enafeni celebrated the death of Ige with the killing of a ram in prison. He said he overheard Enafeni, while in prison, requesting for assistance to eliminate Ige for his refusal to release him and also take the bribe of N5m which was offered him.

The witness said, “I was staying at ‘Aso Rock’ inside the prison. I have the privilege to move around and I overheard him asking for assistance to eliminate the late Ige.” The witness would not say why it took him six years before he could volunteer the information to the police.

But all the accused persons denied the account of the police and the unnamed witness, saying they were not involved in anyway with the murder. Enafeni said it was true that he met the masked witness in prison, but he denied having a discussion on how to eliminate the former minister.

The masked witness had earlier been introduced only to Enafeni in the office of the IG. He said the ram he killed while in prison was to mark the Eid-el-Kabir celebration.

But the other accused persons insisted that they needed to see the man behind the mask, a request the police refused. The witness was also not unmasked for journalists.

Onafekon, who described himself as a tout who collected money from the garage, said he was arrested in 1995 and kept in the prison for six years before he was released and acquitted of the offence of crime which led to his arrest. He described the parade as a charade, said Nigerians were no fools and would not be deceived by the parade.

He said, “I am surprised at this event. I was in prison for six years because members of the Nigeria Police Force don’t know anything about investigation, and that was why I was released afterwards. If the witness who I don’t know is sure of what he is saying, let him remove the mask and confront me. These other two people I have not met before in my life. You have to open the face of this masquerade so that we can confront him. You cannot just go and bring somebody whom we cannot see his face and he will be talking rubbish here.”

Onafekon charged the police investigator, DCP Ali Amodu, to remember that he (Amodu) has children and that whatever he does now would rebound on them in the future. But the IG said it was Onafekon who contacted the two other suspects, Fatuka and Akande, for the killing.

The duo of Fatuka and Akande, however, denied the claim. Both of them denied having met Enafeni before. Ehindero said it was possible because the duo were contracted by Onafekon on behalf of Enafeni.

Asked while the police took the former deputy governor of Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore, and others to court over the matter, and if the police would offer him apology for wrong arraignment, he said there was no basis for apology. He added that he was not the one that took the senator to court in the first place.

He said, “I never took Omisore to court. Apology to him for what? It is a matter of new facts, and that is what we are working on.” He also debunked the claim that he was being forced by President Olusegun Obasanjo to parade the suspects in order to appease the Yoruba since the President’s term is ending in four days’ time.

Ehindero said, “How can you say the President imposed the suspects on us? I did the investigation and I passed it to him. Am I looking forward for another promotion or what? I am already on my way out. Is there any other position after IG? The President has never imposed anything on us. I want to say before God and man that the president never interfere with our work.”

Asked who among the suspects actually pulled the trigger, the IG refused to answer, saying the journalist who asked the question knew nothing about law. He said he would allow the court to decide that.

Also, when he was asked why it was the President who first told the nation about the case, Ehindero said he was the one who passed the information to Obasanjo, and that he was actually waiting for further information on the investigation before making the matter public. “But since it has been let out, I have to come out and speak on it.”

However, Ige’s eldest child, Adegbola, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Friday, said the parade was a last minute effort to give the impression that the Obasanjo administration found those who killed the former minister.

Adegbola said, “At what point did those people confess that they were the killers of my father? I don’t believe that. And I don’t want anybody to play any game with my mind again. It is a charade. I don’t want anybody to get my mind worked up again for nothing. I think it is just a last-minute face-saving effort and I am not taken inby it at all.”

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/articles/?u=Ehindero_Parades_Ige_s_Alleged_Killers_They_Planned_with_Mariam_Abacha_s_Driver_.htm
Re: Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun by BigB11(m): 4:32pm On Nov 28, 2007
Financial Scam: Police Interrogate Ehindero

Police authorities on Sunday commenced the interrogation of immediate past Inspector General of Police, Sunday Gabriel Ehindero over two separate financial scandals involving N21million and N2.5billion in which the former Police top boss was fingered. The investigation is said to b led by Assistant Inspector General of Police Dudari.

Last week, three officers of the Nigeria Police, namely John Obaniyi Commissioner of Police in charge of budgeting at the Force Headquarters, his personal driver and one other officer were caught with the sum of N21million which they had stacked in a sack and were taking it out of the Force Headquarters when they were accosted by some plain clothes detectives and taken to Mike Okiro, the new Inspector General. Obaniyi was immediately detained at the 7th floor of the Police headquarters. He was later interrogated by the Inspector General of Police.

At a press briefing which was conducted by the IG on the matter, Okiro said it was true that some officers were caught with the sum of N21million as they attempted to move the money out of the office. According to him, an officer had rushed to him to ask if he was really serious about fighting corruption in the Police as he had promised at his first briefing of senior officers of the Force. He said when he responded in the affirmative, the officer told him that a large sum of money was about to be moved out in a matter of hours and that if adequate arrangement is put in place, that those stealing the money would be apprehended.

According to the IG, he quickly directed that plain clothes detectives be positioned at the gate which according to him led to the arrest of the culprits, a few hours after the information got to him.

Elendureports.com sources told us that the money was the so-called PR money, a kind of left over by the former IG who had directed the arrested officers to mop them up and bring to his house. The source told us that what caused Ehindero problems was his penchant for “chop alone” which had created bad blood between him and many officers of the Force, including those in his former office who were said to be behind the leaking of the deal to the new IG.

Also on the burner is the N2.5billion belonging to the Police cooperative which the former IG and some of his close associates in the Force are alleged to have lodged in several bank accounts belonging to them.

There are strong indications that the Police authorities are under pressure to hand over the case to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) but sources say that the new IG is insisting that the Force has the capacity to handle the case. It is not yet clear whether the Police intend to prosecute the former IG after their interrogation or treat it at their level and let the scandal go the way of many unfinished cases that are stuck with the Police for years without end. The case is a sure litmus test for the so called new- Police under Mike Okiro.

http://elendureports.com/index.php?Itemid=29&id=429&option=com_content&task=view
Re: Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun by iykrion(m): 9:28pm On Nov 28, 2007
grin grin Where is Mamajama? Pls someone should tell him that it is not yet UHURU for Ehindero tongue tongue
Re: Former Police Inspector General Ehindero Was A Bigger Thief Than Tafa Balogun by Mamajama(m): 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2007
@BIGB1 SILENCE IS GOLDEN.

How many people are responding to all this allegations? dude, you need a better source than PM NEWS and
elendureports.

IF EHINDERO WAS A THIEF AS PROCLAIMED BY YOU.

How come he showed up at the panel that was set up and answered question? He was exonerated in broad day light.

Why didn't your father IBB AKA toothless general not showed up to answered question about DELE GIWA/

$12 Billion dollar golf oil money?

YOUR FATHER the shameless general is the reason most of us are in foreign land working 9 to 5 suffering and smiling today not EHINDERO,

Boy when you come with allegations, look up IBB on Wikipedia and tell me what you see.

I'm too strong for you DUDE

(1) (Reply)

Ex-gov Bola Tinubu Demands Resignation Of Nurtw Boss Over 7.4 Billion Fraud / A New Deadly Sect “akhwat Akwop” To Challenge Boko Haram. / Gunmen Kill 19 In Communal Clash In Village In Zamfara.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.