Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,849 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

The Amazing Quran- Season 1 - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Amazing Quran- Season 1 (8306 Views)

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / A Journey Through The Quran.... The Amazing Quran Season 2... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by snubish: 4:03pm On Jul 04, 2012
jazakAllahu khair,

more oaths,

other gems,

Musa and Firaun can be saved for last if u don,t mind.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by bntY: 5:07pm On Jul 04, 2012
Allahu akbar !I had no inkling abt dis depth of d surah even though I've read it several times.may ur spring of knowledge never go dry but continue to gush.jzk.
......U may do more oaths or something abt surah yusuf-I love dt surah.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 3:10am On Jul 05, 2012
snubish: jazakAllahu khair,

more oaths,

other gems,

Musa and Firaun can be saved for last if u don,t mind.

Wa iyyakum bro

bntY: Allahu akbar !I had no inkling abt dis depth of d surah even though I've read it several times.may ur spring of knowledge never go dry but continue to gush.jzk.
......U may do more oaths or something abt surah yusuf-I love dt surah.

Wa iyyakum...

yea, the best of stories- surah yusuf

We tell you [Prophet] the best of stories in revealing this Quran to you. Before this you were one of those who knew nothing about them. (Surah Yusuf:3)
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 7:13am On Jul 05, 2012
Oaths in Quran.

As we saw earlier, the oaths in the Quran are used to set the tone for a coming argument. After the Oath, comes a response. Oaths in Quran are very powerful tools and they highlight just how incredible this Quran is.

The next oath, we will look at comes at the beginning of Surah Al-Mursalat..

Background:

This is one of the surahs in the Quran where there is a lot of repetition like surah rahman. In Surah mursilat, the repetition is

وَيۡلٌ۬ يَوۡمَٮِٕذٍ۬ لِّلۡمُكَذِّبِينَ

Woe, on that Day, to those who denied the truth!

These repetitions are profound as well but that is not the purpose of our discussion

You see, the prophet(Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) faced skepticism from the Quraish, particularly concerning Judgement and the last day.. They doubted the great catastrophies, this Quran was talking about... The mountains crumbling, the stars losing their light, the sea boiling over, the earth being shaken, ... Really disastrous and chaotic things... They didn't believe these things were going to happen... They would ask the prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him):

They say, ‘If what you say is true, when will this promise be fulfilled?’ (Surah mulk 67 :25)

Their argument were that these events stated by the quran were too enormous, too cataclysmic to be possible.. In response to that, Allah take an oath in these ayat in surah mursalat using winds...

Surah Mursalat

وَٱلۡمُرۡسَلَـٰتِ عُرۡفً۬ا (١) فَٱلۡعَـٰصِفَـٰتِ عَصۡفً۬ا (٢) وَٱلنَّـٰشِرَٲتِ نَشۡرً۬ا (٣) فَٱلۡفَـٰرِقَـٰتِ فَرۡقً۬ا (٤) فَٱلۡمُلۡقِيَـٰتِ ذِكۡرًا (٥) عُذۡرًا أَوۡ نُذۡرًا (٦) إِنَّمَا تُوعَدُونَ لَوَٲقِعٌ۬ (٧

1 By the [winds] sent forth in swift succession,
2 violently storming,
3 scattering far and wide,
4 Then separate them, one from another,
5 delivering a reminder,
6 as a proof or a warning:
7what you are promised will come to pass.

Ayah 1:

وَٱلۡمُرۡسَلَـٰتِ عُرۡفً۬ا (١

Wa Al-Mursalāti `Urfāan

By the [winds] sent forth in swift succession

Al mursalat - This means that which has been released... It was used for horses

The word Urf in arabic refers to the hair at the back of a horse. And if you don't have ropes for a horse, the only thing you can use to slow it down is the hair at the back of the horse

Allah in the ayah gives the image of winds as though there were wild horses which has be released because its hair has been let go...

What happens to wild horse when the hair is let go, It goes crazy, it doesn't care where it is going....

So Allah parallels winds with wild horses..

Here, Allah is saying to the Quraish(and to us) that winds are not something that blow randomly, the soft breeze you feel on your face is because Allah has held the reins of the wind. Alhamdulilah

It is very possible for Allah to release the reins of the winds, what happens then? It is going to turn into this wild horse that is going to crush through every thing in its path....

So Allah talks about the wind being unleashed in beautiful picturesque words again....

Ayah 2

ii. فَٱلۡعَـٰصِفَـٰتِ عَصۡفً۬ا (٢

Fāl`āşifāti `Aşfāan

violently storming

āşifat- means to move in an inconsiderate and inconsistent fashion.... It does not care what it in its way, it just keeps moving....

So we have wind being released and moving in an inconsiderate fashion...

In these two ayahs, Allah has described winds as a source of destruction... Look at what happens after a hurricane, tornado or a typhoon. A hurricane passes through a place in less than a minute... look at the amount of destruction that takes places.... Imagine this, Now Allah said in the Quran that the wind was unleashed on the people of 'ad for 7 consecutive nights and 8 consecutive days...

Ad was destroyed by a furious wind that God let loose against them for seven consecutive nights, eight consecutive days, so that you could have seen its people lying dead like hollow palm-trunks. (Surah 69: 6-7)

See the destruction that takes place in less than a minute in hurricanes; imagine what happens for 7 consecutive nights and 8 consecutive days of violent winds... SubhanAllah...

In just two ayahs, Allah has told the Quraish that all he needs to do is unleash the winds, there needs to be no special arrangement...

The Oath continues

Ayah 3

وَٱلنَّـٰشِرَٲتِ نَشۡرً۬ا (٣

Wa An-Nāshirāti Nashrāan

scattering far and wide,

Now Allah talks about the positive uses of the wind..

Nāshirā - Nashira basically means to spread...

What the scholars have concluded from this, that the winds carry and spread the clouds and spread them far and wide... These clouds carry rain; Which is very important for life on this earth. No rain, no life... Drought means death...

Not only do they carry the clouds, Now we know that winds spread pollen grains around, which are a source of vegetation.

So the same wind that is a source of destruction in the first two ayahs are now the source of life... SubhanAllah..

Ayah 4

فَٱلۡفَـٰرِقَـٰتِ فَرۡقً۬ا (٤
Then separate them, one from another (Making precise divisions)

Ever heard of 'the random acts of nature'.... Well , Allah says there is no such thing; These winds make very precise divisions....

These winds spread the clouds to where it going to rain, and not where would remain dry... precise divisions are spread across the earth..

So we have two things highlighted so far....

i. The wind as a source of destruction
ii. The wind as a source of life

Ayah 5
فَٱلۡمُلۡقِيَـٰتِ ذِكۡرًا (٥

delivering a reminder,

Now Allah tells us that these winds are a reminder if you reflect upon them...... Every time it rain, it is a reminder of the lordship of Allah... Every time you drink a glass of water, it is a reminder... If Allah does not send the rain from the sky by means of the winds, where are we going to do?

It is a powerful reminder

The winds are a reminder of resurrection, the wind drive the clouds to the dead land and gives life to it... Dead becomes living... Every time the rain gives life to the earth, we should be reminded that we also will be resurrected after death...

All of these reminders come by just reflecting on the wind... SubhanAllah

By reflecting on the wind as a source of destruction and mercy, we are also reminded of Allah's Justice and that he has set up a profound system of punishment and reward in the hereafter. Things that will lead to His wrath and other things that will lead to His mercy.

Ayah 6

عُذْراً أَوْ نُذْرا

`Udhrāan 'Aw Nudhrāan

as a proof or a warning:

These winds are proof and a warning

Now the response

Ayah 7

إِنَّمَا تُوعَدُونَ لَوَٲقِعٌ۬

'Innamā Tū`adūna Lawāqi`un

what you are promised will come to pass.

So just like the winds are a sign of Allah's Mercy and Wrath; When the promise of the last day is fulfilled, You will come to experience the wrath of Allah and his mercy.... depending on your actions.. The promise of Judgement which they denied will come to pass... SubhanAllah

You see, the ancient Arab is processing this ayat as they are coming... Imagine the impact, it had on them... SubhanAllah...

Next time you feel the wind on your face. Remember the mercy of Allah and His Wrath....

Assalam Aleikum
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 8:09am On Jul 05, 2012
Let's share a little gem from surah yusuf as a bonus Insha Allah

Allah called the story of Yusuf, the best of stories....

Perfect Word choice

Allah Says:

إِذۡ قَالَ يُوسُفُ لِأَبِيهِ يَـٰٓأَبَتِ إِنِّى رَأَيۡتُ أَحَدَ عَشَرَ كَوۡكَبً۬ا وَٱلشَّمۡسَ وَٱلۡقَمَرَ رَأَيۡتُہُمۡ لِى[size=17pt] سَـٰجِدِينَ[/size] (٤

Joseph said to his father, ‘Father, I dreamed of eleven stars and the sun and the moon: I saw them all bow down before me (Surah yusuf : 4)

The word bolded is SaajidEEN, another word that could have been used is SaajidAAT..

SaajidEEN is used for people not objects

SaajidAAT is used for things...

But we are talking about things here , stars, sun and moon... so why did Joseph use SaajidEEN instead of SaajidAAT.

We see in ayah 6

وَكَذَٲلِكَ يَجۡتَبِيكَ رَبُّكَ [size=17pt]وَيُعَلِّمُكَ مِن تَأۡوِيلِ ٱلۡأَحَادِيثِ[/size] وَيُتِمُّ نِعۡمَتَهُ ۥ عَلَيۡكَ وَعَلَىٰٓ ءَالِ يَعۡقُوبَ كَمَآ أَتَمَّهَا عَلَىٰٓ أَبَوَيۡكَ مِن قَبۡلُ إِبۡرَٲهِيمَ وَإِسۡحَـٰقَ‌ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ۬ (٦

This is about how your Lord will choose you, teach you to interpret dreams, and perfect His blessing on you and the House of Jacob, just as He perfected it earlier on your forefathers Abraham and Isaac: your Lord is all knowing and wise.’ (Surah yusuf:6)

By the choice of word, we see that yusuf already knew the meaning of the dream; which is why he told his father : I saw them (human beings) all bow down before me. This explains why his father never tried to explain anything to him since Joseph had already explained it by his choice of words... He simply said in the next ayah (rough translation):

and he replied, ‘My son, tell your brothers nothing of this dream, or they may plot to harm you––Satan is man’s sworn enemy. (Surah 12:5)

SubhanAllah!!
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by bntY: 9:24am On Jul 05, 2012
thumbs up bro.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 12:18pm On Jul 05, 2012
bntY: thumbs up bro.

JazakAllahu Khairan
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 9:30am On Jul 06, 2012
Assalam Aleikum

More precision & Consistency

There is a science in arabic known as Idgham, It refers to the fusing of letters together so as to shorten a word ... Lets share an example in the Quran...

Two words:

[size=17pt] يَتَدَبَّرُ[/size]

YATADABARU

[size=17pt]يَدَّبَّرُ[/size]

YADABARU

The two words mean the same thing.... They are the same word.... It means to ponder or to reflect.... Yadabaru is the shortened form of Yatadabaru...

So we have that

i. Yadabaru is the abbreviated form

ii. Yatadabaru is the complete form...

Now check this, Whenever Allah speak of the entire Quran (to ponder/reflect on the Quran), He uses the complete form 'Yatadabaru'. For example In Surah Nisa... Allah says

أَفَلَا[b][size=17pt] يَتَدَبَّرُونَ[/size][/b] ٱلۡقُرۡءَانَ‌ۚ وَلَوۡ كَانَ مِنۡ عِندِ غَيۡرِ ٱللَّهِ لَوَجَدُواْ فِيهِ ٱخۡتِلَـٰفً۬ا ڪَثِيرً۬ا (٨٢

Afala yatadabbaroona alqurana walaw kana min AAindi ghayri Allahi lawajadoo feehi ikhtilafan katheeran

Do they not ponder [/b]on the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy. (Surah Nisa:82)

Also in surah Muhammad., Allah says:

أَفَلَا[b][size=17pt] يَتَدَبَّرُونَ[/size]
ٱلۡقُرۡءَانَ أَمۡ عَلَىٰ قُلُوبٍ أَقۡفَالُهَآ

Afala yatadabbaroona alqurana am AAala quloobin aqfaluha

Do they not then [b]reflect on the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them? (Surah 47:24)[/b]

However, whenever Allah speaks of a part of the Quran not the whole, He uses Yadabaru, the abbreviated form...

كِتَـٰبٌ أَنزَلۡنَـٰهُ إِلَيۡكَ مُبَـٰرَكٌ۬ [size=17pt]لِّيَدَّبَّرُوٓاْ[/size] ءَايَـٰتِهِۦ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُوْلُواْ ٱلۡأَلۡبَـٰبِ (٢٩

Kitabun anzalnahu ilayka mubarakun li[b]yaddabbaroo[/b] ayatihi waliyatathakkara oloo alalbabi

(Here is) a Book which We have sent down unto thee, full of blessings, that they may ponder on its ayah, and that men of understanding may receive admonition. (Surah 38:29)

Another example

أَفَلَمۡ يَدَّبَّرُواْ ٱلۡقَوۡلَ أَمۡ جَآءَهُم مَّا لَمۡ يَأۡتِ ءَابَآءَهُمُ ٱلۡأَوَّلِينَ (٦٨

Afalam yaddabbaroo alqawla am jaahum ma lam yati abaahumu alawwaleena

Do they not ponder over the Word (of Allah), or has anything (new) come to them that did not come to their fathers of old? (Surah 23:68)

SubhanAllah, So Allah uses the partial form of the word when He speaks of a part of the Quran and the full version when He speaks of the whole Quran...

Even in the way words are spelt, Allah shows us his miracle, precision and perfection... even to the smallest detail...

SubhanAllah

It is almost time for fajr here....So Id just share a quick one

Example 2

Mekkah and Bakkah

Allah uses two words for the sacred city in the Quran: Mekkah and Bakkah...

So what does Bakkah mean? And why does Allah use both names?

You see, Bakkah comes from the Arabic word بكك – Bakk - which means overcrowding/Crowdedness

In the Quran, There is a wisdom to how words are spelt, placed and used. Allah only uses the the word Bakkah in the context of pilgrimage since that is the period when the city is overcrowded...

نَّ أَوَّلَ بَيۡتٍ۬ وُضِعَ لِلنَّاسِ لَلَّذِى بِبَكَّةَ مُبَارَكً۬ا وَهُدً۬ى لِّلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (٩٦) فِيهِ ءَايَـٰتُۢ بَيِّنَـٰتٌ۬ مَّقَامُ إِبۡرَٲهِيمَ‌ۖ وَمَن دَخَلَهُ ۥ كَانَ ءَامِنً۬ا‌ۗ وَلِلَّهِ عَلَى ٱلنَّاسِ حِجُّ ٱلۡبَيۡتِ مَنِ ٱسۡتَطَاعَ إِلَيۡهِ سَبِيلاً۬‌ۚ وَمَن كَفَرَ فَإِنَّ ٱللَّهَ غَنِىٌّ عَنِ ٱلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (٩٧

The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka: full of blessing and of guidance for all kinds of beings: In it are signs manifest; (for example), the Station of Abraham; whoever enters it attains security;[b] pilgrimage [/b]thereto is a duty men owe to Allah―those who can afford the journey; but if any deny faith; Allah stands not in need of any of His creatures. (surah 3:96-97)

When it does not deal with pilgrimage, Allah uses the name Mecca... SubhanAllah... Precision... Perfection

وَهُوَ ٱلَّذِى كَفَّ أَيۡدِيَهُمۡ عَنكُمۡ وَأَيۡدِيَكُمۡ عَنۡہُم بِبَطۡنِ مَكَّةَ مِنۢ بَعۡدِ أَنۡ أَظۡفَرَكُمۡ عَلَيۡهِمۡ‌ۚ وَكَانَ ٱللَّهُ بِمَا تَعۡمَلُونَ بَصِيرًا (٢٤

And it is He who has restrained their hands from you and your hand from them in the midst of Makkah, after that He gave you the victory over them. And Allah sees well all that ye do. (surah 48: 24)

SubhanAllah...
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 9:35am On Jul 06, 2012
There will be no post tomorrow, Id be travelling... Please make dua....

Questions:

i. Allah also uses two words for medina in the Quran: Medina and Yathrib ... Why??

ii. What is your impression so far? leave a comment Insha Allah...
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by snubish: 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
walaikum salam wa ramatullahi wa barakatuhu.
jazakAllahu khair brother. wish u a safe journey inshAllah.

to answer the 2nd question first:
I'll say Allahu Akbar! i believe this knowledge of the quran is available to only a scant number of Muslims so i feel privileged. if lectures on this topic are given to Muslims say in universities worldwide, i believe it would help in no small measure strengthen the faith of the ummah in this trying times, as well as being a dawah tool towards the sincere, objective non-muslim listener.
for question 1, no idea; but to guess, does it have something to do with being newly arrived, and being settled?
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by bntY: 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2012
Q1:ba idea.

Q2:me think u are Abdullah bn Abbas 'reincarnated' or wat's d name of dt companion who was a consultant in quranic matters.
And lastly, fi amanallah.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
snubish: walaikum salam wa ramatullahi wa barakatuhu.
jazakAllahu khair brother. wish u a safe journey inshAllah.

to answer the 2nd question first:
I'll say Allahu Akbar! i believe this knowledge of the quran is available to only a scant number of Muslims so i feel privileged. if lectures on this topic are given to Muslims say in universities worldwide, i believe it would help in no small measure strengthen the faith of the ummah in this trying times, as well as being a dawah tool towards the sincere, objective non-muslim listener.
for question 1, no idea; but to guess, does it have something to do with being newly arrived, and being settled?

Wa iyyakum akhi. ameen

Each muslim has to learn something of the Quran and teach it to the ones he can.

bntY: Q1:ba idea.

Q2:me think u are Abdullah bn Abbas 'reincarnated' or wat's d name of dt companion who was a consultant in quranic matters.
And lastly, fi amanallah.

That is an over-excessive comment, I am not fit enough to tie the laces of those that can tie the laces of Abdullah bn Abbas... May Allah make us be with the righteous companions on the day of recompense.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 8:58am On Jul 08, 2012
Got back a few hours ago;

Assalam Aleikum

So why did Allah use the Two names Yathrib and Madina? In Surah Ahzab, Allah says:

وَإِذۡ قَالَت طَّآٮِٕفَةٌ۬ مِّنۡہُمۡ يَـٰٓأَهۡلَ[size=15pt] يَثۡرِبَ[/size] لَا مُقَامَ لَكُمۡ فَٱرۡجِعُواْ‌ۚ وَيَسۡتَـٔۡذِنُ فَرِيقٌ۬ مِّنۡہُمُ ٱلنَّبِىَّ يَقُولُونَ إِنَّ بُيُوتَنَا عَوۡرَةٌ۬ وَمَا هِىَ بِعَوۡرَةٍ‌ۖ إِن يُرِيدُونَ إِلَّا فِرَارً۬ا (١٣

Waith qalat taifatun minhum ya ahla yathriba la muqama lakum fairjiAAoo wayastathinu fareequn minhumu alnnabiyya yaqooloona inna buyootana AAawratun wama hiya biAAawratin in yureedoona illa firaran

Some of them said, ‘People of Yathrib, you will not be able to withstand [the attack], so go back!’ Some of them asked the Prophet’s permission to leave, saying, ‘Our houses are exposed,’ even though they were not– they just wanted to run away: (Surah 33:13)

In the same Surah, Allah uses the name Madina.....

لَّٮِٕن لَّمۡ يَنتَهِ ٱلۡمُنَـٰفِقُونَ وَٱلَّذِينَ فِى قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ۬ وَٱلۡمُرۡجِفُونَ فِى[b] [size=15pt]ٱلۡمَدِينَةِ[/size][/b] لَنُغۡرِيَنَّكَ بِهِمۡ ثُمَّ لَا يُجَاوِرُونَكَ فِيہَآ إِلَّا قَلِيلاً۬ (٦٠

If the hypocrites, the sick at heart, and those who spread lies in the city (Madina) do not desist, We shall rouse you [Prophet] against them, and then they will only be your neighbours in this city for a short while. (Surah 33:60)

What makes this even more interesting is that this surah was revealed in Madina. Madina is a short form for Madinat-un-Nabi – The City of the Prophet... The name was given after Hijrah when the prophet emigrated. The name Madina showed loyalty to the prophet. The former name was yathrib..

Now look at Surah 33:13

Surah 33:13 captures the sayings of the hypocrites at the battle of the trench, They called on the people of yathrib (not Madina) to give up and go home... You see the term 'yathrib' fits the context of the situation... It shows that they wanted to return to what the city was before Islam.. they wanted to return to the old Yathrib, because Medinah was about to be destroyed by the Ahzab/Confederates. So by the hypocrites saying “Go back to Yathrib”, they are implying – go back to your old lifestyles before Islam, go back to the city which you were secure in before the Prophet came to us. Because – the hypocrites felt – the Prophet has brought them hardship whereas before they were safe.

More later Insha Allah!
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by Ajii20: 10:26pm On Jul 08, 2012
Nice work brother. May Allah continue to strengthen you and increase you in knowledge.

1 Like

Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 7:56am On Jul 09, 2012
Rhyming Scheme in the Quran

So far, we have explored quite a number of amazing things in the Quran; Alhamdulilah Let's look at another amazing thing in the Quran: The rhyming scheme:

The Quran is made up of beautiful rhyme scheme and these rhymes are not just for beautification, they serve a real purpose... One of the most powerful example is in Surah Maryam; Where Allah negates shirk by just changing the rhyme scheme...

Surah Maryam

The Quran was revealed as a recitation to the people, It is meant to be recited to people. When you recite Surah Maryam, you would notice a consistent ryhme scheme. This continues until it gets to the point where it begins to address Eesa (Alayhi Salam).

So from ayah 2 up to ayah 33, the ayat ends with 'yyah', The story starts with the story of Zakariyyah (Alayhi Salam), moves on to the story of Maryam (Alayhi salam, In surah continues to where Surah 33 where it talks about Eesa talking in the cradle (Alayhi Salam)... Each of the ayahs end with 'yya' ...

It starts with:

ذِكۡرُ رَحۡمَتِ رَبِّكَ عَبۡدَهُ ۥ[b][size=17pt] زَڪَرِيَّآ[/size][/b]
Thikru rahmati rabbika AAabdahu zakar[b]iyya[/b] (Surah 19:2)

This is an account of your Lord’s grace towards His servant,Zachariah (Surah 19:2)

It stops at ayah 33

وَٱلسَّلَـٰمُ عَلَىَّ يَوۡمَ وُلِدتُّ وَيَوۡمَ أَمُوتُ وَيَوۡمَ أُبۡعَثُ حَيًّ۬ا (٣٣

Waalssalamu AAalayya yawma wulidtu wayawma amootu wayawma obAAathu hayya

And peace be on me the day was born and the day die and the day I shall be raised up alive. (Surah 19:33)

Then something drastic happens, the rhyme scheme completely changes... Even if you have no knowledge of Arabic, this would catch your attention. The flow is disrupted all of a sudden,,, You pay more attention when you notice a break in the sequence in Ayah 34.

ذَٰلِكَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ ۚ قَوْلَ الْحَقِّ الَّذِي فِيهِ يَمْتَ[size=15pt]رُونَ[/size]

Thalika AAeesa ibnu maryama qawla alhaqqi allathee feehi yamta[b]roona[/b] (Surah 19:34)

Such was Jesus, son of Mary.[This is] a statement of the Truth about which they are in doubt (Surah 19:34)

It continues

مَا كَانَ لِلَّهِ أَن يَتَّخِذَ مِن وَلَدٍ۬‌ۖ سُبۡحَـٰنَهُ ۥۤ‌ۚ إِذَا قَضَىٰٓ أَمۡرً۬ا فَإِنَّمَا يَقُولُ لَهُ ۥ كُن[b][size=15pt] فَيَكُونُ[/size][/b] (٣٥) وَإِنَّ ٱللَّهَ رَبِّى وَرَبُّكُمۡ فَٱعۡبُدُوهُ‌ۚ هَـٰذَا صِرَٲطٌ۬ مُّسۡتَقِيمٌ۬ (٣٦) فَٱخۡتَلَفَ ٱلۡأَحۡزَابُ مِنۢ بَيۡنِہِمۡ‌ۖ فَوَيۡلٌ۬ لِّلَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مِن مَّشۡہَدِ يَوۡمٍ عَظِيمٍ (٣٧) أَسۡمِعۡ بِہِمۡ وَأَبۡصِرۡ يَوۡمَ يَأۡتُونَنَا‌ۖ لَـٰكِنِ ٱلظَّـٰلِمُونَ ٱلۡيَوۡمَ فِى ضَلَـٰلٍ۬ مُّبِينٍ۬ (٣٨) وَأَنذِرۡهُمۡ يَوۡمَ ٱلۡحَسۡرَةِ إِذۡ قُضِىَ ٱلۡأَمۡرُ وَهُمۡ فِى غَفۡلَةٍ۬ وَهُمۡ لَا يُؤۡمِنُونَ (٣٩) إِنَّا نَحۡنُ نَرِثُ ٱلۡأَرۡضَ وَمَنۡ عَلَيۡہَا وَإِلَيۡنَا يُرۡجَعُونَ (٤٠

35.Ma kana lillahi an yattakhitha min waladin subhanahu itha qada amran fainnama yaqoolu lahu kun fayak[b]oonu[/b]
36 Wainna Allaha rabbee warabbukum faoAAbudoohu hatha siratun mustaqee[b]mun[/b]
37 Faikhtalafa alahzabu min baynihim fawaylun lillatheena kafaroo min mashhadi yawmin AAatheem[b]in[/b]
38 AsmiAA bihim waabsir yawma yatoonana lakini alththalimoona alyawma fee dalalin mubeen[b]in[/b]
39 Waanthirhum yawma alhasrati ith qudiya alamru wahum fee ghaflatin wahum la yumino[b]ona[/b]
40 Inna nahnu narithu alarda waman AAalayha wailayna yurjaAA[b]oona[/b]

35. it would not befit God to have a child. He is far above that: when He decrees something, He says only, ‘Be,’ and it is.
36 ‘God is my Lord and your Lord, so serve Him: that is a straight path.’d
37 But factions have differed among themselves. What suffering will come to those who obscure the truth when a dreadful Day arrives!
38 How sharp of hearing, how sharp of sight they will be when they come to Us, although now they are clearly off course! Warn them [Muhammad] of the Day of Remorse when the matter will be decided,
39 for they are heedless and do not believe.
40 It is We who will inherit the earth and all who are on it: they will all be returned to Us.
(Surah 19:35-40)

A completely new rhyme scheme in which Allah negates the falsehood of shirk.

By changing the ryhme, Allah captures the attention of those in dispute about the character of Jesus. After negating shirk, The ryhme scheme returns with the story of Ibrahim, the father of tawheed (Oneness to Allaah and describing Him as being One and Unique, with no partner or peer in His Essence and Attributes). As usual Allah presents these arguments in the most beautiful ways...

Before you go to tawheed, you have to address the problem of shirk... After that is addressed, we can now talk about tawheed, SubhanAllah...

وَٱذۡكُرۡ فِى ٱلۡكِتَـٰبِ إِبۡرَٲهِيمَ‌ۚ إِنَّهُ ۥ كَانَ صِدِّيقً۬ا نَّبِيًّا (٤١
Waothkur fee alkitabi ibraheema innahu kana siddeeqan nab[b]iyya[/b]

And mention thou in the Book Ibrahim; verily he was a man of truth, a prophet. (Surah 19:41)

The rhyme scheme continues that way for the rest of the surah....

SubhanAllah,

The change in rhyme scheme is employed in the Quran like a footnote in english language, you know the discussion continues, when the rhyme scheme returns... A careful listener would be taken aback by the change in the rhyme... This was unprecedented in the Arabic language...

The most beautiful story: Surah Yusuf

The uncomparable miracle in the Quran as spoken speech is highlighted in Surah yusuf; A story in which Allah himself calls the most beautiful of stories. Even in the layout of the plot of this story there is a miracle and a remarkble consistency,, Allah tells the most beautiful story in a reverse symmetric order, From the problems, then the Solution: Check this out!

1 – Yusuf (alayhis-Salam) has a dream.
2 – His brothers plot against him
3 – His owner’s wife attempts to seduce him
4 – Her friends attempt to seduce him
5 – He (as) is imprisoned
6 – The king has a dream

6 – The king’s dream is interpreted
5 – Yusuf (as) is released from prison
4 – The ladies confess
3 – His former owner’s wife confesses
2 – His brothers learn their lesson
1 – Yusuf (as)’s dream is interpreted and realized.

Subhanallah!

This is spread out in over 100 verses.. Again, the Quran was revealed as speech over a 23 year period;Yet there is this remarkable consistency. Humans can not achieve this kind of consistency from speech. SubhanAllah..

JazakAllahu Khairan..

Last ten days... Remember ramadan is the month of the Quran, connect with this truly, truly truly incredible literature. The words of Allah....
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by snubish: 10:58am On Jul 09, 2012
welcome bro,
off to listen to surah Maryam and surah Yusuf. ma salam.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 8:45am On Jul 10, 2012
Say, ‘Even if all mankind and jinn came together to produce something like this Quran, they could not produce anything like it, however much they helped each other.’ (Surah 17:88)

1. Fear, Grief(and anger) and Tranquility (Sakinah)

In the Quran, Allah speaks of two negative sentiments; Fear and grief (which could lead to anger) in the heart. These difference between these two emotions are that:

Anger/grief stays inside the heart.When you are angry, whenever you see something that reminds you of that anger, it resurfaces... Same thing with grief.... The thing that causes your grief does not have to repeat itself... Whenever you get a reminder, that anger or grief comes to the surface. The anger /grief stays in the heart....

In the case of fear on the other hand, you only get afraid when the cause of your fear repeats itself. For instance, if you are scared of thunder, you only feel fear when thunder strikes. After it, you are back to normal... The fear as an emotion does not stay inside the heart , rather it comes over your heart , It doesn't linger. As soon as the scary situation is over, you are back to normal.

Two points
i. Anger and grief stays inside the heart- an old grief or anger can be reignited by reminders...

ii. Fear comes over the heart but does not linger. - You feel afraid whenever the situation comes about...

In surahtul fath; Allah says:

هُوَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ[size=17pt] ٱلسَّكِينَةَ فِى [/size]قُلُوبِ ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ لِيَزۡدَادُوٓاْ إِيمَـٰنً۬ا مَّعَ إِيمَـٰنِہِمۡ‌ۗ وَلِلَّهِ جُنُودُ ٱلسَّمَـٰوَٲتِ وَٱلۡأَرۡضِ‌ۚ وَكَانَ ٱللَّهُ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمً۬ا (٤

It was He who made His tranquillity descend into the hearts of the believers,a to add faith to their faith––the forces of the heavens and earth belong to God; He is all knowing and all wise (Surah fath:4)

In the same Surah, Allah says:

ذۡ جَعَلَ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ فِى قُلُوبِهِمُ ٱلۡحَمِيَّةَ حَمِيَّةَ ٱلۡجَـٰهِلِيَّةِ فَأَنزَلَ ٱللَّهُ[size=17pt] سَڪِينَتَهُ ۥ عَلَىٰ[/size] رَسُولِهِۦ وَعَلَى ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنِينَ وَأَلۡزَمَهُمۡ ڪَلِمَةَ ٱلتَّقۡوَىٰ وَكَانُوٓاْ أَحَقَّ بِہَا وَأَهۡلَهَا‌ۚ وَكَانَ ٱللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَىۡءٍ عَلِيمً۬ا (٢٦
While the disbelievers had fury in their hearts– the fury of ignorance– God sent [b]His tranquillity upon His Messenger and the believers and made binding on them [their] promise to obey God,b for that was more appropriate and fitting for them. God has full knowledge of all things. (Surah fath:26)[/b]

Did you notice a difference?

In one ayah, Allah says
i. tranquility into the heart

in the other He says:

ii. Tranquility Upon them...

Why? What is the difference? to us , it is the same but the Quran is accurate and precise down to the preposition.

Surah Fath :4 (Tranquility into the hearts)

Here, the muslims had traveled all the way to make Umrah, but couldn't do so. There was anger amongst the muslims ... In this case, Allah sends tranquility into the hearts because that is where it is needed. Since Anger is in the heart.

In Surah fath:26

The muslims were in a situation where the disbelievers were better equipped than them, This was a situation of fear, so Allah sent tranquillity upon them.

Another Example, Surah tawbah:40:

لَّا تَنصُرُوهُ فَقَدۡ نَصَرَهُ ٱللَّهُ إِذۡ أَخۡرَجَهُ ٱلَّذِينَ ڪَفَرُواْ ثَانِىَ ٱثۡنَيۡنِ إِذۡ هُمَا فِى ٱلۡغَارِ إِذۡ يَقُولُ لِصَـٰحِبِهِۦ لَا تَحۡزَنۡ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ مَعَنَا‌ۖ فَأَنزَلَ ٱللَّهُ[size=17pt] سَڪِينَتَهُ ۥ عَلَيۡهِ[/size] وَأَيَّدَهُ ۥ بِجُنُودٍ۬ لَّمۡ تَرَوۡهَا وَجَعَلَ ڪَلِمَةَ ٱلَّذِينَ ڪَفَرُواْ ٱلسُّفۡلَىٰ‌ۗ وَڪَلِمَةُ ٱللَّهِ هِىَ ٱلۡعُلۡيَا‌ۗ وَٱللَّهُ عَزِيزٌ حَكِيمٌ (٤٠

Even if you do not help the Prophet, God helped him when the disbelievers drove him out: when the two of thema were in the cave, he [Muhammad] said to his companion, ‘Do not worry, God is with us,’ and God sent[b] His tranquility upon him[/b], aided him with forces invisible to you, and brought down the disbelievers’ plan. God’s plan is higher: God is almighty and wise. (Surah 9:40)

In this example, the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was in a cave with Abu bakr... And the disbelievers were tracking them to kill them... In this case Allah sends tranquility Upon abu bakr because it was a situation of fear...

Whenever the situation is about fear Allah sends Sakinah(Tranquility) upon them, when it deals with anger, Allah sends tranquility into their hearts...

Perfection, precision... yet again even down to the preposition!! SubhanAllah...

2. 'That' is the book in which there is no doubt

ذَٲلِكَ ٱلۡڪِتَـٰبُ لَا رَيۡبَ‌ۛ فِيهِ‌ۛ هُدً۬ى لِّلۡمُتَّقِينَ (٢

dhaalika-al kitaabu laa Rayba feehi, hudan lil muttaqeen

That is the book in which there is no doubt, containing guidance for those who are mindful of God (Surah 2:2)

Allah uses dhaalika - That
not Haadha = This.

If i say
'This book' - It means that the book is close to me...

when i say:
'That book'- I am talking of something that is farther...

Whenever Allah uses book( kitab) referring to the Quran, He says dhaalika

However, whenever Allah talks about the Quran, He says 'Haadha Quran' - this quran (ex surah 6:18, 10:37, 12:3 et.c)

Whenever Allah talks about Quran, he uses this (Haadha); bringing it close..

Whenever He talks about 'Book' (kitab), he uses dhaalika.... meaning far away

The word kitab comes from the root word kataba yakthubu meaning to write, Kitab means something written .... When the Quran was been revealed, where was it written in its complete form?? It was already complete in the heavens with Allah, so the use of the the term 'that' in the case of a book is appropriate since the Quran existed far away.

Quran means 'the recitation', the recitation is taking place as it is been revealed, hence the use of the word 'this' - Haadha is appropriate...

However, in one case, Allah says 'Haadha kitaab', This book - So the book is been used with 'this' meaning close, right?....

Guess what Allah says next (translated)- WE have sent it down.... SubhanAllah... So even when He uses 'this', he adds that we sent it down showing us that it didn't come from here.... SubhanAllah.

[size=15pt]وَهَـٰذَا[/size] كِتَـٰبٌ أَنزَلۡنَـٰهُ مُبَارَكٌ۬ مُّصَدِّقُ ٱلَّذِى بَيۡنَ يَدَيۡهِ وَلِتُنذِرَ أُمَّ ٱلۡقُرَىٰ وَمَنۡ حَوۡلَهَا‌ۚ وَٱلَّذِينَ يُؤۡمِنُونَ بِٱلۡأَخِرَةِ يُؤۡمِنُونَ بِهِۦ‌ۖ وَهُمۡ عَلَىٰ صَلَاتِہِمۡ يُحَافِظُونَ (٩٢

This is a blessed Scripture that We have sent down to confirm what came before it and for you to warn the Mother of Cities and all around it. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in this Scripture, and do not neglect their prayers. (Surah 6:92)

SubhanAllah!!
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 12:51pm On Jul 11, 2012
The Genius of Ibrahim (peace be upon him)

Today's post is a little (Very) late but it is ok... We have already seen some of the remarkable precision in the Quran. This is more about the genius of a great man.

We will look at the the genius of the duas of Ibrahim (Peace and blessings be Upon Him)....

In the Quran, Ibrahim (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) made two duas:

In Surah Baqarah, ayah 126

And remember Abraham said: "My Lord make this a Peaceful city, and feed its people with fruits―such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day.’

In Surah Ibrahim:35

Remember Abraham said: "O my Lord! make this city one of peace and security: and preserve me and my sons from worshipping idols.

These two dua sound similar , don't they?

Actually before Mecca was a city, He made the dua in baqara:

'My Lord make this a Peaceful city'

So He prayed that it becomes a city that is peaceful...

When he came back and Mecca was already a City, He said:

'make this city one of peace and security'

So here he prays that the city that already exists becomes peaceful...

Again Precision in the wording SubhanAllah

Now let us share the other components of these two dua... Before the city, He (Alayhi Salam) made this dua

And remember Abraham said: "My Lord make this a Peaceful city, and feed its people with fruits―such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day.’ Surah Baqarah, ayah 126

What are the components of a peaceful city? If people find it difficult to survive in a city,to find jobs and take care of their family. The city will eventually collapse.

So Ibrahim made dua for the peace of the city and the properity(feed its people with fruits)... You see, if you have peace and no prosperity the society fails, Also if you have properity and no peace, the society fails. Peace and prosperity is needed for a society to sustain itself.

When the city was established , He makes another dua...

Remember Abraham said: "O my Lord! make this city one of peace and security: and preserve me and my sons from worshipping idols.

When a city is peaceful and has prosperity, a necessary consequence of that is corruption...When life is good, we tend to party.... The worst kind of party you can be exposed to is idolatry,,, This shows the farsightedness and genius of Ibrahim.

We will share some truly heavy things before Ramadan insha Allah.. brace yourself!!
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 7:36am On Jul 12, 2012
Your life in one ayat

Allah describes Human life and adds a very powerful example in just one ayah of the Quran; Subhanallah, It is so powerful...

Allah says:

ٱعۡلَمُوٓاْ أَنَّمَا ٱلۡحَيَوٰةُ ٱلدُّنۡيَا [size=15pt]لَعِبٌ۬[/size] [size=15pt]وَلَهۡوٌ۬[/size] [size=15pt]وَزِينَةٌ۬[/size] [size=17pt]وَتَفَاخُرُۢ[/size] بَيۡنَكُمۡ وَتَكَاثُرٌ۬ فِى ٱلۡأَمۡوَٲلِ وَٱلۡأَوۡلَـٰدِ‌ۖ كَمَثَلِ غَيۡثٍ أَعۡجَبَ ٱلۡكُفَّارَ نَبَاتُهُ ۥ ثُمَّ يَہِيجُ فَتَرَٮٰهُ مُصۡفَرًّ۬ا ثُمَّ يَكُونُ حُطَـٰمً۬ا‌ۖ وَفِى ٱلۡأَخِرَةِ عَذَابٌ۬ شَدِيدٌ۬ وَمَغۡفِرَةٌ۬ مِّنَ ٱللَّهِ وَرِضۡوَٲنٌ۬‌ۚ وَمَا ٱلۡحَيَوٰةُ ٱلدُّنۡيَآ إِلَّا مَتَـٰعُ ٱلۡغُرُورِ (٢٠

Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children.

(It is) as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tillers; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw.

But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers – evildoers), and (there is) forgiveness from Allâh and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers – good-doers). And the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment.
[Quran Surah Hadeed 57:20]

Lets look at how this describes the life of humans and reflect on our own life....

i. Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children.

There is sequence here: Play, amusement, pomp, mutual boasting and rivalry in respect of wealth and children. Does this fit our lives?

Play(la`ibun) - a. We start out as babies, the ayah starts with play ,which is the most important thing to a baby... we spend most of our time doing that.. For those who have small children, you know how difficult it is to get them to sit still.

Amusement(lahwun).- b. When we get a little older, we are more interested in entertainment, video games for instance, we keep ourselves occupied with some form of entertainment. (As they grow older, they run around less and find other forms of entertainment)

Pomp ((zeenatun)-c. As teens, we are obsessed about how things look, we want to fit in. We are more interested in the appearance. (this describes the average teenager, )

Mutual boasting- d. when we get older and start to make money, we have the urges to show off a bit..,,

rivalry in respect of wealth and children.- We get married and have kids... (Ever heard older folks talk about their children) For those who are wealthy, the drive is to make more and more money.. These become our priority our wealth and children

Subhanallah, Allah has just detailed the life of an average human,; Then he gives a truly remarkable example, It is so beautiful, SubhanAllah:

(It is) as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tillers; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw.

Explanation- So we chase all of these things with all our efforts, like a farmer(tiller) who works hard to see his vegetation grow (rain helps his seeds produce vegetation)... But notice something, he doesn't harvest it ... Why doesn't he harvest it? As humans, we put in a lot of efforts to make our goals in life, but when we do achieve them, we quickly lose interest and look for newer things, just like the cycle of our life. And what we were so interested in the past becomes straw and worthless later, just like the abandoned vegetation becomes straw..

We are never contented, True contentment will only come from Allah.

The ayah ends: And the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment.

SubhanAllah, such a powerful ayah...... Allahu Akbar...

Your love-life (married -life) in one ayah

Allah says:

وَمِنۡ ءَايَـٰتِهِۦۤ أَنۡ خَلَقَ لَكُم مِّنۡ أَنفُسِكُمۡ أَزۡوَٲجً۬ا لِّتَسۡكُنُوٓاْ إِلَيۡهَا وَجَعَلَ بَيۡنَڪُم مَّوَدَّةً۬ وَرَحۡمَةً‌ۚ إِنَّ فِى ذَٲلِكَ لَأَيَـٰتٍ۬ لِّقَوۡمٍ۬ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ (٢١

And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put affection and mercy between your (hearts); verily in that are Signs for those who reflect. [Quran ar-Rum 30:21]

Again Allah uses a sequence: Tranquility [taskoonoo] (from sakoon)
Affection (Mawaddah)
Mercy (Rahmah)

The first stage is tranquility

Sakoon- this means tranquility or calmness, The couple are very comfortable with each other. Anyone who has fallen in love can describe this stage, you discuss about anything and every thing.. This leads to the next stage:

Second stage

Mawaddah- This refers to an extreme likeness for someone... a love with passion. This is what they call the honeymoon stage, they couple are crazy about each other at this point. This last from a few months to a few years...

As the couple lives together, this passion becomes less, they get older and the fantasies reduce. They face challenges as they live together and get into arguments that they wouldn't get in the passion stage,they begin to see the imperfections in each other. This leads to the next stage of the union..

Third stage

Rahmah- Mercy, So even though they argue, they forgive each other and have mercy. This keeps the union alive. Even though there is less passion they still care about other and have mercy on themselves..

Then Allah says (rough translation): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.

SubhanAllah:

What has been reflected here also is the sensitivity of the Quran in the sequence of words, SubhanAllah... We have already seen examples of this earlier...

Why respect walidayn (parents) not Abu (father) and Um (mother)

We already know of the sensitivity of the Quran in the use of words; This is just another example: Allah says:

وَقَضَىٰ رَبُّكَ أَلَّا تَعۡبُدُوٓاْ إِلَّآ إِيَّاهُ وَبِٱلۡ[size=15pt]وَٲلِدَيۡنِ[/size] إِحۡسَـٰنًا‌ۚ إِمَّا يَبۡلُغَنَّ عِندَكَ ٱلۡڪِبَرَ أَحَدُهُمَآ أَوۡ كِلَاهُمَا فَلَا تَقُل لَّهُمَآ أُفٍّ۬ وَلَا تَنۡہَرۡهُمَا وَقُل لَّهُمَا قَوۡلاً۬ ڪَرِيمً۬ا (٢٣

Your Lord has commanded that you should worship none but Him, and that you be kind to your parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say no word that shows impatience with them, and do not be harsh with them, but speak to them respectfully. (Surah 17:23)

The word used for parents is walidayn

It is a combination of two words

Walid- meaning the man who fathered you... your biological father

Walida- The woman who gave birth to you. your biological mother

So when Allah says be kind to your parents in this ayah, He speaks of the man who fathered you and the mother who gave birth to you. Basically, your biological parents.

Abu and Um are also used for father and mother but they have different meanings...

Abu- means the one who fathered you, but also took care of you and brought you up. A providing father /Um is the caring mother

So Allah is essentially telling us to be kind to our parents even if all they did was to give birth to you. So for people, whose fathers abandoned them; Allah instruct you to be kind to them. As long as they gave birth to you, be kind to them.

He says (rough translation); do not even say uff to them ; SubhanAllah...
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 8:05am On Jul 12, 2012
The perfection and the precision of Allah's words show that we also have to be careful with our words...

Should i look at one more oath next? any suggestions?
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by faroukbabs: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2012
May allah reward u abundantly in this world and d next. 57:20 is one of my favourite ayats and it never struck me like dat. Do u have any "tafseer" on another of my fav ayat, I've 4gotten d surah but its translated thus
The life of this world is a temoprary enjoyment of deceitful things, the life of the hearafter; that is indeed life, if only u knew. Masalam
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2012
Emphasis in the Quran

Example 1

Alhamdulilah! So far we have looked at the unparalleled precision in the words of Allah: Well we'd look at a lesson that Allah teaches us just by the change in emphasis... This is done many times in the Quran and is often lost in translation...

Allah says many times in the Quran in reference to having patience or being steadfast (Sabr):

إِنَّ ذَلِكَ مِنْ عَزْمِ [size=15pt]الْأُمُورِ[/size]

Certainly that is from the noble tasks.

Example in surah luqman

يَـٰبُنَىَّ أَقِمِ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ وَأۡمُرۡ بِٱلۡمَعۡرُوفِ وَٱنۡهَ عَنِ ٱلۡمُنكَرِ وَٱصۡبِرۡ عَلَىٰ مَآ أَصَابَكَ‌ۖ [size=15pt]إِنَّ ذَٲلِكَ مِنۡ عَزۡمِ ٱلۡأُمُورِ[/size] (١٧

Keep up the prayer, my son; command what is right; forbid what is wrong; bear anything that happens to you steadfastly: Certainly that is from the [b]noble tasks. [/b] (Surah 31:17)

Also in Surah Imran

لَتُبۡلَوُنَّ فِىٓ أَمۡوَٲلِڪُمۡ وَأَنفُسِڪُمۡ وَلَتَسۡمَعُنَّ مِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ مِن قَبۡلِڪُمۡ وَمِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَشۡرَكُوٓاْ أَذً۬ى كَثِيرً۬ا‌ۚ وَإِن تَصۡبِرُواْ وَتَتَّقُواْ [size=15pt]فَإِنَّ ذَٲلِكَ مِنۡ عَزۡمِ ٱلۡأُمُورِ[/size] (١٨٦

you are sure to be tested through your possessions and persons; you are sure to hear much that is hurtful from those who were given the Scripture before you and from those who associate others with God. If you are steadfast and mindful of God, Certainly that is from the [b]noble tasks[/b]... (Surah 3:186)

However in Surah Ash-Shura, Allah changes it a little... Something different is added

[size=17pt]إِنَّ ذَٲلِكَ لَ[/b]مِنۡ عَزۡمِ ٱلۡأُمُورِ[/size]

Truly that is [b]certainly
from the noble tasks. (Shoora 42:43)

A 'laam' is added to the statement. Laam is for emphasis, like saying 'certainly' or 'for sure'. It implies that this kind of patience is more of a noble task than the ones talked about in the previous ayahs...

If we examine it, there are two kinds of patience being talked about. Lets look at the full ayah in Surah Ash-Shura:

But indeed if any show patience and forgive, Truly that is certainly from the noble tasks. (Shoora 42:43)

So Allah is saying that while patience is a great thing, Having patience and forgiving is an even greater. SubhanAllah, the subtleties in the Quran are just Amazing... The speech of Allah is perfect

Examples of scenarios in early Islam that illustrate the two kinds of patience :

i. The muslim were oppressed in mecca but could do nothing about it because they were commanded by Allah to be patient... This is a noble task...

ii. Now later on, during the conquest of Mecca, the muslims have to be patient and forgive all those that have tortured them, kicked them out their homes. They had the power to take revenge but they were patient and forgave. This is a more difficult patience. This is a more Noble task...

SubhanAllah...

Example 2

Allah used four (4) emphasies for Him sending down the Quran and 4 emphasis on its preservation... SubhanAllah... For sure, without doubt..

[size=15pt]إِنَّا نَحۡنُ نَزَّلۡنَا ٱلذِّكۡرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ ۥ لَحَـٰفِظُونَ[/size] (٩

Surely We,We,We sent down the Reminder, and Surely We,Surely [for it], Surely (are) Guarding [it].

[ Surah al Hijr 15:9]

Without doubt, Allah has sent down the book and without doubt He will guard it... The one who sent the book is emphasized first so there will be no doubt, then Allah Guarantees that it will be guarded ,,,

SubhanAllah....
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by maclatunji: 11:43am On Jul 13, 2012
Teacher, I would like your insights into the story of Moses and Khidr (AS). May Allah bless you with additional wisdom, preserve and bless you abundantly.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by snubish: 4:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
7 men went to mooooooow.

jazakAllahu khair bro, very beautiful and true indeed; how we spend our lives in entertainment and ruthless competition. Nigeria is a case in point, we love pomp and showmanship to the hilt.

you may do one more oath but hope you haven't forgotten Musa and Firaun?
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 11:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
faroukbabs: May allah reward u abundantly in this world and d next. 57:20 is one of my favourite ayats and it never struck me like dat. Do u have any "tafseer" on another of my fav ayat, I've 4gotten d surah but its translated thus
The life of this world is a temoprary enjoyment of deceitful things, the life of the hearafter; that is indeed life, if only u knew. Masalam

JazakAllahu Khair, Akhi

The ayah you quoted is in Surah Ankabut ayah 64... I would have to read what the scholars have written before i can comment on the ayah.

snubish: 7 men went to mooooooow.

jazakAllahu khair bro, very beautiful and true indeed; how we spend our lives in entertainment and ruthless competition. Nigeria is a case in point, we love pomp and showmanship to the hilt.

you may do one more oath but hope you haven't forgotten Musa and Firaun?

Wa iyyakum bro

I have not forgotten about musa and firaun

maclatunji: Teacher, I would like your insights into the story of Moses and Khidr (AS). May Allah bless you with additional wisdom, preserve and bless you abundantly.

grin Teacher for where?

JazakAllahu Khair... Beautiful Story... Maybe we'd look at that...
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 10:50am On Jul 14, 2012
Stories in the Quran

Stories in the Quran are incredible.. The amount of detail in every ayah is mind-blowing.. Allah takes you to the scene; It is as if you are witnessing it yourself... No one tells a story better than Allah, the subtleties are incredible.. Every story serves a purpose and there are no unnecessary details that serve no purpose to the story being told. The story is told to address a point and is related to the central idea or theme of the surah.

Example: Allah talks about the story of dawud and Ǧālūt (David and Goliath) in surah baqarah, where a young man kills a great commander Ǧālūt. Here, a small army was able to defeat a big army... Just before this story, the muslims have just been commanded to fight in badr for the first time.... Allah uses this story to encourage the small Muslim army that was coming up against a bigger army.

Allah says when telling the story : ‘How often a small force has defeated a large army with God’s permission! God is with those who are steadfast.’ (Surah baqarah). Allah also reveals the prayer made by Talut(Saul) army asking for patience before battle: Ufrigh ‘alayna sabran wa thabbit aQdaamanaa wa aNSurnaa ‘ala-al Qawmi al kaafireen' - ‘Our Lord, pour patience on us, make us stand firm, and help us against the disbelievers,’

The early muslim were given the courage, the hope and even the prayer to say for the battle that was coming just by Allah relaying the story... All stories in the Quran serve a purpose and are related to the general theme of the surah, there are no unnecessary details. Even when stories are repeated, There is always something remarkable that addresses the theme of the surah.

Parents should understand the depth of these stories and be able to tell their kids... They are fascinating stories...

Story 1

Musa talks to Allah

This is an absolutely incredible story: May Allah help me convey it in the best of ways... We are about to travel to mount sinai... The Story is told in Surah Taha... We would look at ayah 9-21 and show how Allah prepared Musa for Firaun.

Ayah 9

وَهَلۡ أَتَٮٰكَ حَدِيثُ مُوسَىٰٓ (٩

Wa-hal “ata-ka hadithu musaa

Has the story of Moses come to you [Prophet]?

Hadith - This refers to a new story; Already aspects of the story of musa had been revealed; A new story is about to be told... This mode of questioning is idiomatic in the arabic language and it implies ‘think well about it’ or ‘take a lesson from this’.

So here Allah is about to tell you a new story and He wants you to think about it and take a lesson from it...

Ayah 10

إِذۡ رَءَا نَارً۬ا فَقَالَ لِأَهۡلِهِ ٱمۡكُثُوٓاْ إِنِّىٓ ءَانَسۡتُ نَارً۬ا لَّعَلِّىٓ ءَاتِيكُم مِّنۡہَا بِقَبَسٍ أَوۡ أَجِدُ عَلَى ٱلنَّارِ هُدً۬ى (١٠

“Idh ra-“a naran faqala li-“ahli-hi “umkuthu “in-ni “anastu naranl la-‘alli “ati-kum min-ha bi-qabasin “aw “ajidu ‘ala al-n-nari hudan

He saw a fire and said to his people, ‘Stay here––I can see a fire. Maybe I can bring you a flaming brand from it or find some guidance there.’

So musa is travelling with his family in the dark desert and spots a fire, ( they needed light for their journey so it was dark). Something very interesting in the language... Musa says 'in-ni “anastu' which shows an emphasis -(Surely I, I see). This is used in Arabic to convince someone of something. This emphasis shows that Musa is trying to convince his family that he has seen a fire, meaning they didn't see the fire. So only him could see the fire. We saw already how Allah uses emphasis in the Quran. This is lost in translation many times.

But it is odd, isn't it? If you travelling in the dark and there is a fire, everyone should be able to see it but only musa saw it. He has to convince his family that he has seen a fire. Allah made the fire to be seen by only musa so only him comes to the fire. Allah is indicating here that a conversation takes place about whether there was a fire without going into the details... Subhanallah,

Imagine travelling with your family in the desert and you see a fire but no one else sees it but you are certain so you tell them : for sure there is a fire up there, wait here let me get some light for you guys....

SO musa goes off to look for two things; Qabas - flaming brand or Hudan – Guidance for their journey. A fire indicates that there may be people so they could provide them with guidance for their journey or help them with flame...

Ayah 11

فَلَمَّآ أَتَٮٰهَا نُودِىَ يَـٰمُوسَىٰٓ (١١

Fa-lam-ma “ata-ha nudiya ya musaa

When he came to the fire, he was summoned, ‘Moses!

The use of 'lam-ma' shows that there was a time lapse before Musa got to the fire, it indicates that there was a struggle to get up there; It took a prolonged period for Musa to get to the fire.... So Musa is climbing the mountain, he is putting a lot of effort to get to the fire, remember His family is left alone in the dark so Musa is rushing to get to the fire...

Ironically, Musa is going to look for guidance for his journey but finds guidance for life;

He suddenly hears his name 'MUSA'... Musa must be shocked.... who could possibly know his name here?...

Imagine yourself after struggling to climb up a cliff, possibly tired and as you approach the fire, all alone, in the middle of the night. And out of no where, you hear your first name 'MUSA'. No 'who is there' or 'what goes there' ... Your first name... Someone knows who you are... Musa must be shocked..

So What does Allah tell him immediately?

AYAH 12

إِنِّىٓ أَنَا۟ رَبُّكَ فَٱخۡلَعۡ نَعۡلَيۡكَ‌ۖ إِنَّكَ بِٱلۡوَادِ ٱلۡمُقَدَّسِ طُوً۬ى (١٢

“In-nii “ana rab-bu-ka fa-ikhla’ na‘lay-ka “in-na-ka bi-al-wadi al-muqad-dasi tuwan

“No doubt I am your Lord/Master, take your shoes off. You are in the Sacred Valley of Tuwa.”

Immediately, after hearing his name in this place, he hears a command ' I am your master, take off your shoe'. You are in a sacred valley; There is also an emphasis (In-nii) which makes it even more powerful.

A parallel can be drawn to the life of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), When the Angel came to him; there was a direct command as well :Recite'

Then the ayah:

' Recite in the name of your rabb(master, sustainer, owner, nourisher) who created'

Imagine the state of mind of Musa right now;

Ayah 13

وَأَنَا ٱخۡتَرۡتُكَ فَٱسۡتَمِعۡ لِمَا يُوحَىٰٓ (١٣

Wa-“ana ikhtartu-ka fa-istami’ li-ma yuhaa

I have chosen you, so listen to what is being revealed

ana ikhtartu - Another emphasis: I, I chose/preferred you ... This emphasises that there is no doubt as to who has chosen musa, It is his Master, it creates exclusivity... Allah is clearing any doubts from the mind of musa by the emphasis.

There are three words for 'chosen' in the Arabic language:

Allah used

ikhtartu - (from iKhtiyaar )

Other words that could be used are

iJtibaa
iStifaa

So why does Allah use ikhtartu?

ikhtartu - comes from iKhtiyaar which comes from the word khayr (goodness)... It means choosing something because it has goodness.

So essentially, Allah is telling musa that he has been chosen because of the goodness in him...

then Allah says

fa-istami’ li-ma yuhaa

So listen extremely carefully for what is Revealed/Inspired (wahy).

So essentially we have (rough interpretation)

Musa, this is for sure your lord/master, take off your shoes, you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa, It is definitely me and i have chosen you because i see goodness in you, so listen extremely carefully to what is revealed..

Imagine Allah telling you that you have been chosen because he finds goodness in you... So far: Only Allah has spoken

Allah continues:

Ayah 14

إِنَّنِىٓ أَنَا ٱللَّهُ لَآ إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّآ أَنَا۟ فَٱعۡبُدۡنِى وَأَقِمِ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ لِذِڪۡرِىٓ (١٤

“In-nan-i “ana Allahu la “ilaha “il-la “ana fau‘bud-ni wa-“aqimi al-s-salata li-dhikri

Surely I, I (am) Allah, (there is) no god except Me, enslave (a’bud) yourself to me / worship me, and Uphold the Prayer for My Remembrance.

This is a beautiful ayah;

After commanding musa and letting musa know he is master, he lets musa know that, He is Allah, there is nothing else worthy of worship and commands Musa to enslave himself to him (obey every command by Allah)

Now Musa knows he is speaking to Allah, who has chosen him because of goodness in him... Wow!! Have you ever met a celebrity? Someone who is really famous.... Do you think you can ever forget? Not only that, He started the conversation with you... Musa just spoke to the master of all that exists and Allah started the conversation calling him by his first name.. wow!!

That is the state, musa is now....

But Allah tells him, if you truly want to remember me, keep up the prayer.... SubhanAllah...It shows how important the prayer is... So even though Allah just spoke to him, the greatest thing that can ever happen to Musa, he might forget sometimes, upholding the prayer would help Musa remember Allah...

Ayah 15

إِنَّ ٱلسَّاعَةَ ءَاتِيَةٌ أَكَادُ أُخۡفِيہَا لِتُجۡزَىٰ كُلُّ نَفۡسِۭ بِمَا تَسۡعَىٰ (١٥

“In-na al-s-sa’ata “atiyatun “akadu “ukhfi-ha li-tu-jza kul-lu nafsinm bi-ma ta-s’a

Indeed, the Hour is coming – I almost conceal it – so that every soul may be recompensed according to that for which it strives.

Another reason for uphold the prayer is that there is a judgement coming; Also Allah said he 'almost conceals' the Hour; which means that he has given us the signs of it. The messenger (peace be upon him ) gave us some of the signs..

Then Allah says:

so that every soul may be recompensed according to that for which it ran towards. (ta-s'a)

The language here is beautiful; ta-saa means to run to...

People get the reward of what they ran towards, Musa rushed to get guidance for his family but Allah gave him guidance from Himself..... SubhanAllah

Ayah 16

فَلَا يَصُدَّنَّكَ عَنۡہَا مَن لَّا يُؤۡمِنُ بِہَا وَٱتَّبَعَ هَوَٮٰهُ فَتَرۡدَىٰ (١٦

Do not let anyone who does not believe in it and follows his own desires distract you from it, and so bring you to ruin.

More warning for Musa; Imagine the state of Musa, now... He must be terrified; More serious stuff.. Allah has been very direct and tough with him so far... so in the next Ayah, Allah brings down the tone...

Ayah 17

وَمَا تِلۡكَ بِيَمِينِكَ يَـٰمُوسَىٰ (١٧

So what is in your right hand O Moses?

You see, Where the name is placed in speech, reflects the tone of the speech..

If Allah had said

Musa, what is your right hand?

It would have been in a commanding tone, rather He says in a soft manner:

So what is in your right hand O Moses?

SubhanAllah, Allah already knows what is in his right hand, the question serves to calm Musa... Allah Spoke with toughness at the beginning and Musa must have been terrified and in awe, After making sure Musa understands, He softens the tone....

Ayah 18

قَالَ هِىَ عَصَاىَ أَتَوَڪَّؤُاْ عَلَيۡہَا وَأَهُشُّ بِہَا عَلَىٰ غَنَمِى وَلِىَ فِيہَا مَـَٔارِبُ أُخۡرَىٰ (١٨

Qala hiya ‘asaya “atawak-ka-“u ‘alay-ha wa-“ahush-shu bi-ha ‘ala ghanami wa-liya fi-ha ma-“aribu “ukhra

‘It is my staff,’ he said, ‘I lean on it; restrain my sheep with it; I also have other uses for it.’

Finally Musa gets to talk to Allah, Imagine getting to talk to a very famous person... You want to extend the conversation, Musa is about to speak to Allah:

Musa was simply asked; What is in your hand? Instead of just saying 'my staff'.

Musa tries to extend the conversation:

He says ' It is my staff, i lean on it, restrain my sheep and i have other uses for it' Allah simply asked what is in your hand....

It also reflects his nervousness at this point...

Ayah 19

قَالَ أَلۡقِهَا يَـٰمُوسَىٰ (١٩

God said, ‘Throw it down, O Moses.’

The name at the end indicates that Allah is still being gentle with him...

Ayah 20

فَأَلۡقَٮٰهَا فَإِذَا هِىَ حَيَّةٌ۬ تَسۡعَىٰ (٢٠

He threw it down and– lo and behold!– it became a fast-moving snake.

Musa obeyed immediately , the language suggests there was no delay but immediately it becomes a snake...

Wow... Now imagine you are Musa, you are just beginning to calm down... then you throw your staff and see a huge snake moving about... haha

Ayah 21

قَالَ خُذۡهَا وَلَا تَخَفۡ‌ۖ سَنُعِيدُهَا سِيرَتَهَا ٱلۡأُولَىٰ (٢١

He [Allah] said Grab it! And don’t be afraid. We will return it to its original state.

This one ayah is all of the lesson, Musa needs for pharoah.... The words of Allah are so powerful... we will see how...

Grab it?? imagine you just saw your staff turn it into snake now you have to grab it... Allah could have said ' Don't be afraid, grab it' like most of us might do if telling a child to do something scary for instance...

But Allah emphasizes Obedience first... Allah expects obedience first. He gives the order first before telling us the wisdom behind it... In this case ' We will return it to its original state' .

Allah taught Moses through this series of commands;

1 – Obey Allah (Pick up the Snake)
2 - Courage (Don't be afraid) (being brave enough to do it.)
3 – Trust (' We will return it to its original state' ) (in Allah that the snake will not bite him.)

Why is this important?

1.Musa would obey Allah first by Going to Pharoah, - Obedience

2. He must exhibit courage and not be afraid; In Surah Al-Shuara, we see that Musa was afraid they were going to kill him because of the crime he committed

Moses said, ‘My Lord, I fear they will call me a liar, and I will feel stressed and tongue-tied, so send Aaron too; besides, they have a charge
against me, and I fear they may kill me.’ (Surah 26 12-14)
- Courage

3. Trust in Allah for the success of his Mission...

All of the lessons for Pharaoh in one Ayat : He [Allah] said Grab it! And don’t be afraid. We will return it to its original state.

Allahuakbar... Subhanallah The words of Allah are stunning

More on Musa tomorrow Inshallah

Leave a comment
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by faroukbabs: 2:16pm On Jul 14, 2012
ALLAHU AKBAR
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by snubish: 7:04pm On Jul 14, 2012
6 men went to moooooow.....

God bless you bro, very beautiful indeed. somehow the story of Musa(peace be on him) stands out for me; how humans can't outsmart the divine plan. Firaun ended up raising in his own household the doom of his arrogant reign.
did u see "prince of Egypt" cartoon by dreamworks? very cool.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 4:02am On Jul 15, 2012
snubish: 6 men went to moooooow.....

God bless you bro, very beautiful indeed. somehow the story of Musa(peace be on him) stands out for me; how humans can't outsmart the divine plan. Firaun ended up raising in his own household the doom of his arrogant reign.
did u see "prince of Egypt" cartoon by dreamworks? very cool.

Jazakallahu Khair
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by tbaba1234: 8:19am On Jul 15, 2012
Stories in the Quran

Musa gets to meet pharaoh Part 1

I am excited about what i am going to share today... smiley This dialogue is a battle of wits... May Allah Help me transmit it in the best way... It might require more than one part depending on how much i can cover today...

Does anyone understand what transition in movies is ? Sometimes in movies they cut off scenes and just show subsequent events resulting from the scene.... Id give you an example...

Check out this clip from 'finding Nemo'... Starting from 7:00 mins to about 10:00 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQFC7jFt6xE&feature=relmfu

Marlin's son Nemo was missing; Marlin begins to tell the story of his journey to find his son to some mini-turtles... but they don't complete the scene... they show how the same story is carried from animal to animal until it finally get to Nemo...They don't have to waste time repeating the same story from animal to animal... The audience is expected to understand what goes on in between the lines. We even get to watch cartoons hehe... SubhanAllah..

Transition is a modern film technique but it is employed many times in the Quran...No one tells a story better than Allah... It's so beautiful, SubhanAllah.... We will continue the story of Musa from Surah Shuara..

from Ayah 10...

Ayah 10 & 11

وَإِذۡ نَادَىٰ رَبُّكَ مُوسَىٰٓ أَنِ ٱئۡتِ ٱلۡقَوۡمَ ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ (١٠

10. Waith nada rabbuka moosa ani iti alqawma alththalimeena
11. Qawma firAAawna ala yattaqoona

10.Your Lord called to Moses: ‘Go to those wrongdoers
11. the people of Pharaoh. Will they not take heed?’

We are picking off from the conversation Allah had with Musa, Here Allah commands musa to go to pharaoh and his people...

Ayah 12, 13, 14

Now Musa responds

قَالَ رَبِّ إِنِّىٓ أَخَافُ أَن يُكَذِّبُونِ (١٢
وَيَضِيقُ صَدۡرِى وَلَا يَنطَلِقُ لِسَانِى فَأَرۡسِلۡ إِلَىٰ هَـٰرُونَ (١٣
وَلَهُمۡ عَلَىَّ ذَنۢبٌ۬ فَأَخَافُ أَن يَقۡتُلُونِ (١٤

12. Qala rabbi innee akhafu an yukaththibooni
13. Wayadeequ sadree wala yantaliqu lisanee faarsil ila haroona
14. Walahum AAalayya thanbun faakhafu an yaqtulooni

12.Moses said, ‘My Lord, I fear they will call me a liar,
13.and I will feel stressed and tongue-tied, so send Aaron too;
14. besides, they have a charge against me, and I fear they may kill me.’

The most important concern raised by musa was the success of the mission, Musa had a temper so he was afraid that if they called him a liar or lied against him, he will get angry. When he gets angry, he can't communicate his thoughts clearly and when he does that, he fears that the mission will fail. So He asks for a back-up, if He fails, the back up should be there.. He makes the mission the priority.

Another reason for asking for a backup was that the people of pharaoh had a charge against Him and they could kill him when he get there. If they kill Him, the back-up will the mission. So he is explaining his reasons for a back-up.

He had more concern for the mission that his own life. So two reasons for a back-up Aaron:

i. If they call him a liar or lie against him, he could lose his temper. when angry, He can't talk straight. the back-up will take over in that case.
ii. They had a charge against him and could kill him, the back-up will continue the mission in this case..

Subhanallah.... His only concern was fulfilling the message given to him by Allah...

Ayah 15

Allah replies:

قَالَ كَلَّا‌ۖ فَٱذۡهَبَا بِـَٔايَـٰتِنَآ‌ۖ إِنَّا مَعَكُم مُّسۡتَمِعُونَ (١٥

Qala kalla faithhaba biayatina inna maAAakum mustamiAAoona

15. God said, ‘No [they will not]. Go, both of you, with Our signs––We shall be with you, listening.

Allah assures Musa that he will not be killed. Then says: Go both of you with Our signs... Allah uses 'both of you' showing that the request of Musa has been granted.

Allah then says(rough translation): We shall be with you, listening. Interesting Allah uses listening instead of watching... you see you can watch from a distance but to listen you have to be close. So Allah by the language is assuring Musa that He will be close to Him... Subhanallah....

So Allah says; He will be listening to this dialogue with Pharaoh. We must also be listening carefully....

Ayah 16 & 17

فَأۡتِيَا فِرۡعَوۡنَ فَقُولَآ إِنَّا رَسُولُ رَبِّ ٱلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (١٦
أَنۡ أَرۡسِلۡ مَعَنَا بَنِىٓ إِسۡرَٲٓءِيلَ (١٧

16. Fatiya firAAawna faqoola inna rasoolu rabbi alAAalameena
17. An arsil maAAana banee israeela

16 Go, both of you, to Pharaoh and say, “We are like one messenger from the Lord of the Worlds:
17 let the Children of Israel leave with us.” ’

Now Allah gives them the message to pharoah;
1.Tell him that you are both like one messenger from the lord of the worlds (coming with a single message)

2. and that he should let the children of Israel come with you...

Now there is the transition...

Ayah 18
قَالَ أَلَمۡ نُرَبِّكَ فِينَا وَلِيدً۬ا وَلَبِثۡتَ فِينَا مِنۡ عُمُرِكَ سِنِينَ (١٨

18. Qala alam nurabbika feena waleedan walabithta feena min AAumurika sineena
19. WafaAAalta faAAlataka allatee faAAalta waanta mina alkafireena

18.Pharaoh said, ‘Did we not bring you up as a child among us? Did you not stay with us for many years?
19 And then you committed that crime of yours: you were so ungrateful.’

Did you notice what just happened? Allah had told Musa and Aaron to say: “We are like one messenger from the Lord of the Worlds: let the Children of Israel leave with us.” in the previous ayah

This is not repeated again; rather the pharaoh response to the demand of Musa is relayed.... The reader understands that Musa has already placed this demand before Pharaoh, There is no need for repetition, It is redundant.... Subhanallah... This is an example of transition in the Quran..

Imagine Musa, who ran away from Egypt after committing a crime. He has a charge against him... He does not sneak into Egypt, rather He goes to the palace of Pharaoh to talk to him. Not only that, He comes to pharaoh and says: We come with a message from the 'Lord of the Worlds' : Let the children of Israel go....

At this point, Pharaoh is in a position of power in this conversation: So Pharaoh said:

‘Did we not bring you up as a child among us? Did you not stay with us for many years?'

Pharaoh is smart here, He is trying to play on the emotions of Musa... Aren't you grateful that you grew up with us for many years? We raised you for many years.... Trying to show him as being disloyal and ungrateful.... It is an attack on the character of Musa...

By the way, he did not address the issue raised by Musa. He is trying to test Musa's resolve, He is clever...

Then goes for another psychological attack:

And then you committed that crime of yours: you were so ungrateful.’

He is trying to make Musa nervous by referring to his crime, then he says you are of those who deny ....The word used is 'alkafireena' which means to deny... So basically he says,

you are denying my goodness to you...
Are you denying the crime you committed?

See what Pharaoh is doing, He is putting himself up in an intimidating position and putting Musa down... Pharaoh has raised three issues so far?

i. We raised you as a boy
ii. You lived with us for many years
iii. You committed a crime...

So Pharaoh is trying to intimidate Musa..

Musa gives a brilliant response that switches the tables but you will have to wait for it.... See you tomorrow Insha Allah

This is a fascinating dialogue, a psychological warfare... you do not want to miss out on the concluding part of this dialogue

Comments are welcome...
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by snubish: 1:12pm On Jul 15, 2012
5 men went to mooooow.....

wow, i call this "the great confrontation". the pharoah harassed Musa, on whom be peace, with heavy questions. how does one reply to those questions as there was no falsehood in the accusations. my heart bleeds for Musa always at this place; you know what parents say to rebellious children; how they are rebels, disloyal, impulsive, will come to no good, and their siblings are better than them. may God have mercy on Musa.
Re: The Amazing Quran- Season 1 by Edzy: 12:58am On Jul 16, 2012
I love this thread,i go through it over and over without getting bored as it provide spectacle upon spectacle on this historic events. May Allah(SWT)increase you in knowledge OP.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jaiz Bank Will Add Value To The Economy - MD / How To Inspire Our Children To Gain Knowledge / Criticising People In Their Presence Or Absence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 220
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.