Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - (2319 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - by lifestyle1(m): 2:53pm On Jun 24, 2012
According to Wikipedia, Next of Kin is a term used for many interpretations that depend on the jurisdiction being referred to. In some jurisdictions, such as the United States, It is used to describe a person's closest living blood relative or relatives. I think the bold is what i am interested in and i will like to base the discussion on that.

There are some questions i will like the forum members to shed more light on i.e :

1, Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ?

2, Why do I need to have a next of kin ?

3, At what age is one required to have a next of kin ?

4, Who is your Next Of Kin ?

Your contributions will really go along way. Thank you.
Re: Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - by omotee88(f): 9:58pm On Jun 24, 2012
If its a family man, his wife or one of his children shld be d next of kin and if its a woman d husband or child shld be. As a young girl or boy, Ūя̲̅ parents or siblings shld be Ūя̲̅ next of kin. ♏γ̲̣̣̥ immediate sis Ȋ̝̊̅§ ♏γ̲̣̣̥ next of kin. And as for d age i don't really knw
Re: Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - by lifestyle1(m): 10:24pm On Jun 24, 2012
omotee88: If its a family man, his wife or one of his children shld be d next of kin and if its a woman d husband or child shld be. As a young girl or boy, Ūя̲̅ parents or siblings shld be Ūя̲̅ next of kin. ♏γ̲̣̣̥ immediate sis Ȋ̝̊̅§ ♏γ̲̣̣̥ next of kin. And as for d age i don't really knw

Thank you...
Re: Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - by titilaelae(f): 9:58am On Jun 26, 2012
In the case of bank stuff and investment or anything that has to do with who claims your lot in case of your demise, the man should use the wife or the eldest (or the most trusted)child as next of kin. The wife should use the child as well. The bottom line here is using someone who will naturally, and all things being equal, succeed you, that is, a younger relation by blood. Children should always use either parent as next of kin until they marry or have children.

My husband and I used each other as next of kin until I saw a form my boss filled some time ago where he filled in his 10yr old only child as next of kin, I curiously asked him why he did not use his wife and he said 'not that he did not trust his wife, that of course it is the wife that will still act on the child's behalf (being a minor) anyway. But that 'what happens if something happens to both him and the wife at the same time?' That was when I decided to be using my 3yr old child as next of kin but my husband is not convinced yet, he still uses me as his undecided.
I wish lawyers on this forum could come and share from their legal point of view.
Re: Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - by titilaelae(f): 10:01am On Jun 26, 2012
In the case of bank stuff and investment or anything that has to do with who claims your lot in case of your demise, the man should use the wife or the eldest (or the most trusted)child as next of kin. The wife should use the child as well. The bottom line here is using someone who will naturally, and all things being equal, succeed you, that is, a younger relation by blood. Children should always use either parent as next of kin until they marry or have children.

My husband and I used each other as next of kin until I saw a form my boss filled some time ago where he filled in his 10yr old only child as next of kin, I curiously asked him why he did not use his wife and he said 'not that he did not trust his wife, that of course it is the wife that will still act on the child's behalf (being a minor) anyway. But that 'what happens if something happens to both him and the wife at the same time?' That was when I decided to be using my 3yr old child as next of kin but my husband is not convinced yet, he still uses me as his undecided.
I wish lawyers on this forum could come and share from their legal point of view.

Oh, I later found these: https://www.nairaland.com/973039/should-ones-next-kin#11213019 and https://www.nairaland.com/806841/right-person-choose-next-kin the topic is extensively discussed there
Re: Who Should Be One's Next Of Kin ? - by lifestyle1(m): 1:33pm On Jun 26, 2012
titilaelae: In the case of bank stuff and investment or anything that has to do with who claims your lot in case of your demise, the man should use the wife or the eldest (or the most trusted)child as next of kin. The wife should use the child as well. The bottom line here is using someone who will naturally, and all things being equal, succeed you, that is, a younger relation by blood. Children should always use either parent as next of kin until they marry or have children.

Oh, I later found these: https://www.nairaland.com/973039/should-ones-next-kin#11213019 and https://www.nairaland.com/806841/right-person-choose-next-kin the topic is extensively discussed there

Thank you for this input.

(1) (Reply)

What Pet Name Do You Call Your Hubby/spouse? / Hello! Nairalanders, Tonye001 Just Got Married!!! / 7 Things Married And Unmarried Should Learn From Tiwa And Teebliz Melodrama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.