Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,239 members, 7,807,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

Certification Or Skill - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Certification Or Skill (2687 Views)

Is Programming A Profitable Skill? / Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing / Programing( It Certification Or Degree) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Certification Or Skill by Ajafik(m): 9:40pm On Jun 24, 2012
I wonder this days when everyone start embarking on IT Certification rather than proper acquisition of skills required to meet the standard of solving problems effectively. Is it because we are certificate freak in Nigeria?
Re: Certification Or Skill by Seun(m): 9:44pm On Jun 24, 2012
A typical IT worker needs both - you need certifications to get a job, but you also need skills in order to keep it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certification Or Skill by okeyxyz(m): 2:00am On Jun 25, 2012
Seun: A typical IT worker needs both - y[b]ou need certifications to get a job[/b], but you also need skills in order to keep it.

true! certification is very important if you need to apply for a job. don't let anybody tell you otherwise. certificates makes you formally verified & validated, it's an assurance that you meet the required standards.
Re: Certification Or Skill by adewaleh(m): 5:42am On Jun 29, 2012
i believe in skill and certificate, but with your good skills you can create thousands of jobs for other people and you won;t search for jobs like must Nigerians do. grin
Re: Certification Or Skill by kodewrita(m): 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2012
Seun: A typical IT worker needs both - you need certifications to get a job, but you also need skills in order to keep it.
true
Re: Certification Or Skill by lordZOUGA(m): 4:41pm On Dec 28, 2012
Seun: A typical IT worker needs both - you need certifications to get a job, but you also need skills in order to keep it.
Nope, you need skill to get a job and you need skill to keep it...
Are you telling me that if you have a project and you want to hire a developer, are you going to hire a non-certified developer who has completed the type of project you want before or a certified developer that claims he/she can complete your project?
Re: Certification Or Skill by harryobas: 11:14am On Dec 31, 2012
Both are important but i think skill is more important. You need skill to validate your certification
Re: Certification Or Skill by Fayimora(m): 12:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
Slightly off topic question.. Why do Nigerians, well not all but most, care so much about certifications?
Re: Certification Or Skill by Javanian: 12:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
Fayimora: Slightly off topic question.. Why do Nigerians, well not all but most, care so much about certifications?

Because they are in Nigeria where 9 out of 10 times if you don't have a certification your skill has a void return type grin. Except you want to be a free lancer or create the Next Big Thing with your skill...
Re: Certification Or Skill by Nov1ce(m): 10:28pm On Jan 01, 2013
Fayimora: Slightly off topic question.. Why do Nigerians, well not all but most, care so much about certifications?
Cos we live in a papered economy my friend!
But I have absolutely zip interest in certifications, I have paid for trainings without writing the certification exams at the end of the day!, am a biggie of 'showing me what you can do' rather than 'telling me what you can do'...
Re: Certification Or Skill by Fayimora(m): 1:51am On Jan 02, 2013
I still don't see a reason. I think it's pointless lol. Certifications are just exams.

IMHO

Are they any good? Well, yeah kinda. I believe they prove you know how to prepare for and pass exams. Do they show your level of proficiency? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Yes I believe in proof too. Seeing is believing! Show me what you can do. The fact that an investment bank is hiring/interviewing you doesn't mean your games(be it 2D, 3D or even text based) are useless to them. What matters is how you approached the problem. Also, change! Has your knowledge of Software Development improved overtime? What about your analytical skills?

It doesn't seem obvious how you can extract such information from someone's code but trust me when I say it's one of the easiest ways to do it.

Re: Certification Or Skill by talk2hb1(m): 7:53am On Jan 02, 2013
okeyxyz:

true! certification is very important if you need to apply for a job. don't let anybody tell you otherwise. certificates makes you formally verified & validated, it's an assurance that you meet the required standards.
Believe me the last thing smart IT employer look for is your certification. I have gone for series of IT job test and interview, after going through your CV they want to see your portfolio and that is what determines your salary or pay. But if you seek placement in non IT organisation like ministry they want to see your papers, because that is what they care about, you don't need any skill. Only few guys in government ministry has the skill and they are often over worked.
Re: Certification Or Skill by Javanian: 7:54am On Jan 02, 2013
Fayimora: I still don't see a reason. I think it's pointless lol. Certifications are just exams.

IMHO

Are they any good? Well, yeah kinda. I believe they prove you know how to prepare for and pass exams. Do they show your level of proficiency? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Yes I believe in proof too. Seeing is believing! Show me what you can do. The fact that an investment bank is hiring/interviewing you doesn't mean your games(be it 2D, 3D or even text based) are useless to them. What matters is how you approached the problem. Also, change! Has your knowledge of Software Development improved overtime? What about your analytical skills?

It doesn't seem obvious how you can extract such information from someone's code but trust me when I say it's one of the easiest ways to do it.

I don't in anyway doubt what you have said. I don't have any certification, why ? because i don't need one. It is the mentality that we they live with here. I have done final year projects for some 400L computer science students and sometimes i am like what did you spend your four years in the university doing if you can't come up with anything for your final year project most of them give a lot of flimsy excuses but one was bold enough to tell me he isn't interested in programming, all he wants is his degree certificate. I didn't blame him because in Nigeria he has a higher chance of getting a Job with his degree than you that has none even with all the skills in the world. This is not always true but it is true 7 out 10 times. This doesn't apply to this field alone it is a mentality most idiots people in this country live with.

1 Like

Re: Certification Or Skill by naijaswag1: 8:49am On Jan 02, 2013
This is more or less a pointless question. Certification and skill are both important. If you can prove to the world that you have got skills and come up with tangible results, no one is interested in your certifications. The wizkids in IT history and today have their achievements regardless of whether they are certified or not. Now that does not stop them from getting certified if they desire so. If you then want to show that you are knowledgeable in a certain IT area and comply with necessary bench marks and standards for knowledge level therein, you get certified. So both are mutually exclusive. If you have got skills, getting certified does not prove it,it is proved by real world projects that you execute and likewise,getting certified does not guarantee that you have got the necessary skills, you could be knowledgeable enough to pass the exams only. So get the certification, enhance your skills and be a complete Information Technology expert. Don't neglect any, they are both equally important.
Re: Certification Or Skill by Fayimora(m): 11:45am On Jan 02, 2013
That is quite sad @Javanian. Things really need to change in Nigeria then. I still find it funny that CS students "contract out their projects". That's very very sad. If I were you, I'll stop working for such people, except they are ready to pay an exorbitant fee of course cheesy.

@naija_swag I disagree. It's not a pointless topic. Not everyone believes in certifications. To be honest, I haven't heard anyone say anything about certifications in the last 12months. All I hear about are projects -> this pluggin or that extension or that library.
Re: Certification Or Skill by lordZOUGA(m): 1:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
the only scenario where certification would have been important is a scenario where you need certification to study programming but since that is not the case, the only true certification a developer can get is from his work and that kind of certification stays valid for an infinite number of days. I'd advice people to pursue this type of certification.

1 Like

Re: Certification Or Skill by AZeD1(m): 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2013
Fayimora: That is quite sad @Javanian. Things really need to change in Nigeria then. I still find it funny that CS students "contract out their projects". That's very very sad. If I were you, I'll stop working for such people, except they are ready to pay an exorbitant fee of course cheesy.

@naija_swag I disagree. It's not a pointless topic. Not everyone believes in certifications. To be honest, I haven't heard anyone say anything about certifications in the last 12months. All I hear about are projects -> this pluggin or that extension or that library.
@the bolded, even people doing Msc in computer science/information technology contract out their projects.
As for the certification issue, its a Nigerian thing. I made up my mind never to do any certification exam when a fellow corper i served it was busy doing certification exams and passing while i was reporting to work on public holidays to finish projects. The corper finished the whole microsoft developer thingy while we were serving but did not participate in one project. The corper is also a 1st class graduate of computer science.

Skill first then certification if you need it to get a job or promotion.

On another note, Fayimora can we hook up?
Re: Certification Or Skill by prodam(m): 1:44pm On Jun 17, 2013
Skill and certification..
Skill is as important as certification but a valid point here is that one comes before the other and one compliments the other. And that is: skill/proficiency should come before certification while certification actually compliments proficiency. In accordance with a poster's advice, it is ideal to be a complete IT expert with much accolade by acquiring both.
My2k..
Re: Certification Or Skill by alarm4: 11:40pm On Jun 17, 2013
prodam: Skill and certification..
Skill is as important as certification but a valid point here is that one comes before the other and one compliments the other. And that is: skill/proficiency should come before certification while certification actually compliments proficiency. In accordance with a poster's advice, it is ideal to be a complete IT expert with much accolade by acquiring both.
My2k..
meaning sm1 need to become jake of all trade on anything as a complete IT expert:that's a lot of money to get those skills done on oneself:
Re: Certification Or Skill by embee3(m): 10:12am On Jun 22, 2013
Well, certificates acquisition is a Nigerian syndrome. A typical Nigerian employer prefer to see your certificate rather than your projects completed. It might interest you to know that, am a programmer with no certificates. I prefer freelancing rather than work for anyone. My job gets more jobs for me because, its speeks for itself. In my opinion, I think skill is more important. If you are good at what you do, your clients also help sell you.
Re: Certification Or Skill by kambo(m): 12:48am On Jun 26, 2013
Certs dnt matter because the present I.T situatn makes it so: there a large mrket 4 heuristc systems whch require nothg more thn primary school intelligence.
Popular development kits hav high degree of security baked into them, freeg d client developer 2 cater to only d business logic.
Lots of libraries and framewrks abound for almost any automatable task imaginable, the dev only has to know how to connect the different components like lego blocks to build his system.
Typical business software caters to sloppiness. Modern computg platfrms can execute highly wasteful ineffcient software wthout breakg a sweat . Not with blazg fast processors, oceans of ram and double catious Oses. Mor ineptitude can b accomodated.
With these situation mor people can flock into programmg and call themselves programmers with proof - wrkg code. Its hard to argue with executg proof bf ure eyes! Most end users of software ar also mor tolerant to shoddy products so theyll put up with half-good stuff. Infact , lay users are more visually oriented . If it looks gud it must wrk even better thn it looks! But in situations where risk acceptance bar is very low, employers will require all the verifiable formal proofs they can get b4 lettg on board their ship.
Middle/system software often require more frmal knowledge thn that for d layers they support e.g browsers, webservers, domain name servers, compilers, operatg systems, inference engines, embedded systems, (non)/relational databases, cryptographic systems, graphic systems, etc will require frmal education to write. Certifcations wont even cut because theyre useless here. Microsoft/oracle wnt admit u to wrk on their compiler/database team wth a perfect score in their cert exams! Thts for artsans!
Infact in some cases, a terminal degree is d prerequisite (phD) and a from a snooty school (ivy league etc). Even if u get in without an advanced degree u mayb marginalised in d scheme of thngs,
e.g receivg research grants , promotion, greater opportunities
Google distinguished engineers are often phDs with enviable track records of stellar achievements.
Microsoft hires highly intelligent ppl and most of them are either stellar pragmatc acheivers (designer of csharp) or theoretcl innovators (co-designer of Haskell) etc. But u dnt need frml logc to do artsan jobs like: create a shoppg cart in php, a hotel/supermarket/ school management app, use jquery, write sql queries, create a forum etc.
These apps can b hairy and complex but they'll never require a knowledge of college mathematcs (linear algebra,calculus etc) to tame. Just primary school level logic.
Re: Certification Or Skill by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 27, 2013
Fayimora: That is quite sad @Javanian. Things really need to change in Nigeria then. I still find it funny that CS students "contract out their projects". That's very very sad. If I were you, I'll stop working for such people, except they are ready to pay an exorbitant fee of course cheesy.

the bolded:

I have done projects for Msc. student before. i could remember in my ND days a Bsc holder begged me to his project. This happens here in nigeria. When i was in school we(as in group) do projects for some lecturers in another school.
Re: Certification Or Skill by mj(m): 1:43pm On Jun 27, 2013
naija_swag: This is more or less a pointless question. Certification and skill are both important. If you can prove to the world that you have got skills and come up with tangible results, no one is interested in your certifications. The wizkids in IT history and today have their achievements regardless of whether they are certified or not. Now that does not stop them from getting certified if they desire so. If you then want to show that you are knowledgeable in a certain IT area and comply with necessary bench marks and standards for knowledge level therein, you get certified. So both are mutually exclusive. If you have got skills, getting certified does not prove it,it is proved by real world projects that you execute and likewise,getting certified does not guarantee that you have got the necessary skills, you could be knowledgeable enough to pass the exams only. So get the certification, enhance your skills and be a complete Information Technology expert. Don't neglect any, they are both equally important.
We are thinking in the same direction, in fact am preparing for MCSD, then I head to PMP. I still got my portfolio of applications.
Re: Certification Or Skill by Fayimora(m): 12:10am On Jun 28, 2013
ibrodex:

the bolded:

I have done projects for Msc. student before. i could remember in my ND days a Bsc holder begged me to his project. This happens here in nigeria. When i was in school we(as in group) do projects for some lecturers in another school.
I guess they see the project as a burden. Projects are meant to be fun. A project should be something you use to show your understanding of a subject matter. I'll insult the hell out of anyone who gives me his/her project to work on. Of course I'm more than willing to HELP along the way but work on the whole project? F U! lol
Re: Certification Or Skill by gistme24(m): 8:45pm On Jun 30, 2013
In the Nigerian Context, things are always a bit different.

Back in March, I was looking to leave my Job for another, in fact I already had an offer from another firm, was just weighing my options when a former colleague of mine, who works with a Chinese Telecom firm here in Lagos, asked me to forward my CV .
I was called in for a Technical Test a week later. The test was in two parts, written and oral, conducted by two Chinese dudes . The questions were on core Linux, Oracle, and Java. I nailed them both. I did so well that the tech guys wanted me in as soon as possible.

In comes the Nigerian HR personnel. And it was a resounding NO. Reason being that I was running an online Degree program with a UK based university and had a year to go.

This may be a bit off topic, but my point is that here in Nigeria, we value paper qualifications more than knowledge .
Re: Certification Or Skill by Fayimora(m): 11:31am On Jul 01, 2013
gistme24: In the Nigerian Context, things are always a bit different.

Back in March, I was looking to leave my Job for another, in fact I already had an offer from another firm, was just weighing my options when a former colleague of mine, who works with a Chinese Telecom firm here in Lagos, asked me to forward my CV .
I was called in for a Technical Test a week later. The test was in two parts, written and oral, conducted by two Chinese dudes . The questions were on core Linux, Oracle, and Java. I nailed them both. I did so well that the tech guys wanted me in as soon as possible.

In comes the Nigerian HR personnel. And it was a resounding NO. Reason being that I was running an online Degree program with a UK based university and had a year to go.

This may be a bit off topic, but my point is that here in Nigeria, we value paper qualifications more than knowledge .

Sorry about that mate. That's really sad!
Re: Certification Or Skill by gistme24(m): 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2013
Fayimora:

Sorry about that mate. That's really sad!

Thanks boss. Its their loss actually! wink

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Extract Data From Online Websites? / Java, Golang And Python Developers Needed Urgently / Chat Room Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.