Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing (1494 Views)

Exception While Reading JSON Object In Java / Certification Or Skill / Any Body Reading Head First C#-lab 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by harryobas: 12:42pm On May 22, 2012
Reading other people's code is one of the best ways to improve yourself as a programmer. Code reading is a very much under appreciated aspect of software development. Believe me when i say this i have learnt a lot from reading other people's code. As developers we tend to focus our time, energy and resources on how best to write code without giving much thought about how best to read code i strongly believe that code reading is as important a skill as code writing. According to Dave Thomas of the pragmatic programmers the average software developer spends about 40% of the time writing code and 60% reading it.

1 Like

Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by kodewrita(m): 1:24pm On May 22, 2012
what libraries/app code have you read recently?
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by harryobas: 1:59pm On May 22, 2012
@kodewrita I have just recently started reading RhinoMocks source code. RhinoMocks is an open source library/framework written in c#. It is used for creating dynamic mock and stub objects which are used to aid unit testing of software modules.
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by ektbear: 11:46pm On May 22, 2012
You are 100% right. But...it is time consuming. I think for someone who wants to really call themselves a software developer, it is something they should definitely do.

But for dabblers like myself, I only read the bare minimum necessary in order to accomplish whatever task I want to do.
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by Seun(m): 4:36am On May 23, 2012
You are right, but let me add this: reading Python code is easy. That's one of the reasons why I picked up Python. You can read through most Python libraries and understand what's up, even if you're new to Python. Reading idiomatic Python code doesn't require any skill at all, because everything just makes sense! Reading Python code is like reading pseudocode, except that you can run it.

2 Likes

Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by ektbear: 5:02am On May 23, 2012
Python is easy to read. So is Ruby. PHP can be easy to read also.

But then when you start to take small, each easy to read functions, then start building classes with them, then from those classes build more complicated systems, it sure is nice to be able to catch bugs quickly.

In fact, the easier a language is to write big, complicated systems with, then the more important it is to use testing.
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by kodewrita(m): 8:26am On May 23, 2012
@Seun blehhhhhhhhhh, selling that language again abi. lmao. Cool tho. and the fact that its true is also even more irr-noying.

For me though, reading code especially framework code is an opportunity to see how the really cool programmers do stuff. I learnt how to use PHP magic functions (__call and co) by reading Codeigniter backend codes. And I fell in love with the way Wordpress hooks are implemented ( in fact their own motto is Code is Poetry ), makes you love the Observer pattern.
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by ektbear: 9:18am On May 23, 2012
Man wtf was I writing when I made my post above.

Lol, I thought it was in the other thread. My bad
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by elegale: 10:54am On May 23, 2012
Lmao....so I guess now, its cool to walk around with a compiler in your head, right Sweet. And I was thinkin that I was the only "sane" person on the planet cos I gat a compiler hooked up to my brain. Hehehehehehehehehehe.
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by harryobas: 11:45am On May 23, 2012
I like to read code because code is good to read. Its a fun and educational experience where you learn a lot about programming, algorithms, idioms and a host of other things. You even learn how to lay code out nicely.
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by Jolaemma: 12:28pm On May 23, 2012
I learn how to use ```````` (not'''''') from PHPmyadmin.
$query=mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(`id`)FROM `members` WHERE `username`='$username'"wink;
And i am learning amazing codes from experts on youtube!
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by GideonG(m): 12:33pm On May 23, 2012
Sorry the above post was by me and I mistakenly posted it in somebody's session(I just helped him register on NL and forgot to sign out.)

I learn how to use ```````` (not'''''') from PHPmyadmin.
$query=mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(`id`)FROM `members` WHERE `username`='$username'"wink;
And i am learning amazing codes from experts on youtube!
Re: Code Reading is as Important a Skill as Code Writing by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 23, 2012
harryobas: I like to read code because code is good to read. Its a fun and educational experience where you learn a lot about programming, algorithms, idioms and a host of other things. You even learn how to lay code out nicely.
GBAM

(1) (Reply)

From Estate Agent To Programmer, No Lappy / Greatest List Of Freely Available Programming Books / Become A Programmer Guru/Designer Guru @ a Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.