Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,020 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win (1135 Views)

West, Kalu, Ndah-Isaiah, Fashola, Abdulahi, Akeredolu may make Buhari's cabinet / Akeredolu Will Transform Ondo, Says Fashola / Intrigues As ACN Picks Akeredolu As Ondo Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win by Ufeolorun(m): 11:04am On Jun 25, 2012
Akure — GOVERNOR Olusegun Mimiko, weekend, said that the resurgence of incessant criminal activities in some parts of the country could only be effectively curbed if Nigeria embraces the practice of true federalism.
Mimiko said this while addressing[b] participants at the 9th All-Yoruba Youth Conference organised by Coalition of Oodua Self-Determination Groups in Akure.[/b]
He said true federalism would encourage devolution of powers from the Federal Government to states and local councils and would guarantee effective policing.
The governor expressed concern that the Federal Government had not been able to curtail the activities of gunmen in the northern part of the country because external security agents were drafted there.
Mimiko lamented the extent of carnage and destruction of valuable private and public property by the gunmen, stressing that the perpetrators and their sponsors would have been identified and arrested if the security agents on their trail were members of their community.
He urged relevant arms of government to work towards achieving true federalism in the country to guarantee effective security of life and property and peaceful co-existence.
He said: "True federalism is practicable and achievable in our country. What the federal authorities need do is to devolve necessary powers to states in terms of security and resource control.

"Each of the states should be in control of the security of their area while the federal authorities should empower them economically to tackle any man-made, natural or environmental challenge.

"To start with, the subsidy funds should be disbursed to states and local governments to address critical areas like security, healthcare, food security, infrastructure, education and environmental degradation, among others."

The governor challenged his colleagues in the southwest to focus more on projects and programmes that would benefit the majority of the masses and make the people the centre of development.
He said, "As political office holders, egalitarianism should be our watchword.
We should follow the footsteps of our great leader and political icon, the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, whose programmes centred on the people.
"We should use instrumentality of government to liberate our people. We should develop the people by investing heavily in public education, and offer them quality healthcare.
"We need to empower our women and youths because they are the true drivers of development. We also need to pay attention to technology, which is another sector that can give the Yoruba nation, an edge."
Mimiko also stressed the need for community policing to complement the current efforts of the various security outfits in the country.

Chairman of the group Mr. Dayo Ogunlana, said the immediate convocation of a Sovereign National Conference was necessary to resolve the current crisis in the country.
He said, "There is no doubt that the resolution of the Nigerian crisis is hinged on geniuine restructuring based on devolution of powers, fiscal federalism, justice and equity in a parliamentary democracy."
Re: Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win by Ufeolorun(m): 11:09am On Jun 25, 2012
How do you put down Acn anti-Yoruba accusation? 'let your boys organize a conference(talking about mainstream SW-issues)and make you the special guest'
More like it,he needs to fight back rather running to a man who is obviously lost and cant even manage his own affairs.I had expected him to team up with Fayose in building the labour party in Ekiti.HAD THAT HAPPENED HE PROBABLY WONT BE ON THE DEFENSIVE RIGHT NOW atleast Fayose would prolly be keeping Fayemi busy,covering the Ekiti flank of the opposition.
MIMIko v security votes from OYO,OSUN,EKITI,OGUN and panbabari LAGOS.
grin grin
Re: Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win by Akanbiedu(m): 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ah ha e no try at all just like Olamide said in "e ni duro"; "dem be dey try to make sound but we no hear"
Re: Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win by Ufeolorun(m): 3:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
Akanbi_edu: Ah ha e no try at all just like Olamide said in "e ni duro"; "dem be dey try to make sound but we no hear"

Well a little more of this and maybe other political scheming and you go start to hear.
He should have even taken the event to Lagos sef.
Lol.
Re: Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win by Akanbiedu(m): 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
GOODLUCK to him on that.

(Some of my friends actually take this statement as a bad wish nowadays) grin grin grin grin
Re: Way To Go Mimiko- Fight Back Though I Want Akeredolu To Win by Ufeolorun(m): 4:33pm On Jun 25, 2012
cheesy
I can't blame them considering the nightmare Nigeria is having at the moment.
Wishing people sense rather than good- luck maybe more sensible and acceptable nowadays.

(1) (Reply)

Tens Of Thousands Protest Anti-islam Film In Kano,nigeria / Nigeria's Achievements So Far / The Aburi Minutes- 9ja Would Have Worked Out Better Under The Aburi Agreement!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.