Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,131 members, 7,845,757 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly (10096 Views)

Northern Lawmakers Kick Against Birth Control, Say It Is Anti- Islam. / Obasanjo Returns $200 Million To National Treasury. / Fashola Signs Building Control Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by shakers(m): 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2012
first of all we all should ask GEJ how many wives he's got..... cos i heard he is a polygamist himself.... this thing can work if you can stop polygamy first...
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by nwanioma(f): 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2012
With all the problems we are facing in this country, birth control bill is what the government is embarking on! Na wa oh! this country just makes me sick! BTW it would be violating our human right to free religion, My religion say go forth and multiply
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by SisiKill1: 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ah ha! Once again, GEJ shows us how ignorant we are. All this time we thought it was the misappropriation of funds, the general lack of checks and balances and the wanton destruction of lives and property which cripples our country. How wrong we were. . .it is obviously the unborn children. . .children of parents who don't even know yet if they are gonna have them, who are bleeding us dry. This is the reason this Bill takes top priority!!

Thank you, Mr. President for always taking time out of your busy schedule to educated us on how to prioritize. The lecturer in you is ever so eager to come out and this never ceases to amaze us considering the many other things you could be focusing on!! cool
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by auwal87(m): 3:34pm On Jun 27, 2012
Most of the countries that worries much about population growth usually pays enormous amount of benefits to their citizens, ranging from enemployment benefit, housing, and in most cases free education up to university level, they will try to control the population to tally with their economic growth. But in the case of Nigeria, things like unemployment benefit or any housing program for citizens doesn't exist, people take care of themselves. So in my opinion controlling population growth in the right sense is a complete waste of time and of course money.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
An effective birth control is needed in this country.
Let's start with one-child family like the Chinese.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by tnktosin(m): 3:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
This comedian again.. He's yet to get boko haram under control, improve power or road network or even reduce corruption for that matter. Many serious matters on ground plagueing Nigeria as a nation yet he's talking about birth control #smh#
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
This GEJ guy keep on tackling issue of no importance. When has Nigeria population became an issue in the development of the country. A country that cannot manage it's natural resources, which results from rampart and epidemic corruptions at the upper level of government, is trying to blame the poor populous for his government incompetence.

As of now, major countries are craving for population growth by using all means like immigration and so fort. It's only in Nigeria which has vast amount of oil, gas, and other natural resources that population growth is seen as a threat to economic development rather than the corrupt politicians and incompetent government that is hindering both the economic and the human development of our great nation.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by rabzy01: 3:53pm On Jun 27, 2012
Birth control because our population is too much? I now understand the reason behind the introduction of Boko Haram- to reduce our population. Now that BH has failed to enter the south, law must be used to complement their job. GEJ/PDP the real boko haram- A. Azazi.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by NwaNimo1(m): 4:18pm On Jun 27, 2012
From the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights:

Article 12.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 16.
(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

Article 30.
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by queensmith: 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2012
I was still squealing in excitement at Fashola criminalizing dead beat dads when I saw this. I guess you take one step forward 55 steps back with this country. Hilary Clinton must have gotten to him. The conniving bitch.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by BetaThings: 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2012
Timehin: Its a welcome development but for it to work polygamy will have to be made illegal.
I think we would need to first make a lot more things illegal - eg the right to practice religion, vote, bear children, criticise the government, live
Fresh Air
Same people who will support legalisation of faggotry and polyamorous relationship
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by johnglo2(m): 4:26pm On Jun 27, 2012
ebamma: for this rainy season?,
shocked
Nawao. Na because of ur type this bill go pass through the 2 chambers and they will not kill it. If we ve ur type and this bill is not pass,hope no go dey 4 odas as u fit contribute 10% of the next census result. Girls fear this person.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by BetaThings: 4:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
ayobase: Im fully in support of this, atleast the issue of religiously giving births massively in order to take over the land can be slowed down.
But, how is the governement trying to 'actualise' this?
The problems with some people is hypocrisy is narrow-mindeness
Pa Ekweremadu late father of the Deputy Senate President had 24 children. He was a christian from SE. Are the people of SE trying to "culturally giving births massively in order to take over the land"
Senate President, David Mark, is a christian from NC. He has about 14 children
Are the[b] christian people of NC trying to "religiously giving births massively in order to take over the land"[/b]

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by BetaThings: 4:33pm On Jun 27, 2012
edicolove:

Yes birth control is a major problem in Nigeria. In fact, it is a fundamental problem. If you want to change a country, you attack the fundamental flaws, not apply band aids. Lagos is already trying to reduce its population. Nigerias problem is largely cultural. We have to address the fundamental flaws in our mindset for the country to move forward. We need an accurate census and credible data of our population before we can do anything right. And we need this data like yesterday.
Yes, accurate census data on number of population, religion, tribe etc
But not on number of unemployed youths/graduates, people without adequate healthcare, people whose assets exceed possible 3 lifetimes income, ex-convicts holding political office,
We love to chase shadows
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by BetaThings: 4:41pm On Jun 27, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Ah ha! Once again, GEJ shows us how ignorant we are. All this time we thought it was the misappropriation of funds, the general lack of checks and balances and the wanton destruction of lives and property which cripples our country. How wrong we were. . .it is obviously the unborn children. . .children of parents who don't even know yet if they are gonna have them, who are bleeding us dry. This is the reason this Bill takes top priority!!

Thank you, Mr. President for always taking time out of your busy schedule to educated us on how to prioritize. The lecturer in you is ever so eager to come out and this never ceases to amaze us considering the many other things you could be focusing on!! cool
Excellent Post!

Will Mr President declaring his assets stop Boko Haram? - asks GEJ at presidential media chat
No, Mr President, you are always right! You declaring your assets will not stop Boko Haram
You are so full of insight, Mr President, birth control will solve Boko Haram at once
Infact corruption, insincerity of public office holders will disappear
And may I suggest, Mr President, that we should sterlise all our women - we will banish both maternal and children mortality for ever from Nigeria!
Mr President, Nigeria is so lucky with you as our President. You are so visionary and imaginative!

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by BetaThings: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: From the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights:

Article 12.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 16.
(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

Article 30.
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein
This is for silly countries that don't want to progress. Nigeria is focussed on fast-paced growth
We are in a hurry, we need to do away with people who will slow us down. We carry a lot of baggage in this country, people who are not contributing anything and criticise the government, using multiple IDS
We need the few who can go to NASS to contribute to making good laws, become ministers or MD of NNPC
The problems of this country are caused by the masses who are iliterate, whose children have no shoes, carry their books in their hands

Afterall, Nigeria is not the first country to introduce birth control
The problems of this country did not start with GEJ. He has to move fast, please don't distract him
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by BetaThings: 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ile-Ife:
Oboy hope our mallams won't take this personal. well, polygamy is a widespread thing in Nigeria, so no wahala.
How many children does the Oni of Ife has?
Or are we going to apply this to only "mallams"?
Please don't take this personal
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Gomachi: 5:18pm On Jun 27, 2012
Birth control indeed. This beggars belief in a country with one of the worst maternal and child health indices.
I'm even surprised at the level of support this GEJ's pipe-man's dream is garnering on this forum.
He would be better advised to promulgate a rule to control the avarice in government and make education free and compulsory at least to secondary level. Good and affordable healthcare should not just be free, it is an inalienable human right!

Having worked in naija as a medic I watched children die for peanuts in the arms of their crying mothers.So you will tell such a mother to limit her family size to 4? U must be kidding me! In a country where one of my duties as a junior doctor included attending deliveries with no power supply and hence no functional suction machine to clear the newborn's airways; setting IV lines on very ill children with candle; and having no adhesives to hold the cannulae in place? A poor woman who comes into a tertiary hospital with a ruptured uterus after labouring for days in a traditional birth attendant's 'delivery suite' in my experience had a death sentence until proven otherwise. Only 1 survived among the many I saw. As part of the theatre requirements the poor husband / relatives would be told to provide 3 units of blood before the OP would go on. This is a man who could not afford regular hospital antenatal for the wife in the first instance. The man then travels miles to his village for fundraising from his peasant farmer community. By the time he returns the next morning to try and explain that he could not raise enough funds for the OP the wife would already be at sub-zero temperature in the morgue. This was sadly a true life experience. I'd left the ward that night knowing I would not be seeing that woman in the morning. Comically when the unfortunate young mother was becoming restless and not following instructions due to ongoing exsanguination the nurses were calling her stubborn. Need I go on?.

Some colleagues left the shores of naija for economic reasons; but my main reason for leaving was because I could no longer endure the psychological trauma of seeing countless preventable deaths due either to lack of requisite equipment or in rare instances that they are available patients not being able to afford the 'pay as you go' service. Even countries as poor as Tanzania that depend mostly on foreign aid run a free ambulance service to transfer patients to hospitals (never mind how poorly qualified the paramedics may be). Anything related to pregnancy, including Cesarean section is also free there. I'm talking about a country the same geographical size as naija with only 4 major roads and no single 'flyover'.

I for one would never advocate birth control to the underprivileged in our society when I know those kids have as much chance of making it to their 5th birthdays as GEJ declaring his assets. IMO fix the grinding poverty and illiteracy and every other thing would follow. It would only require the people in high places paying a 'tithe' on their little pleasures to the system. A tenth of the amounts we hear looted would go along way.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
Jack of all trades. Master of none
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Osama10(m): 5:23pm On Jun 27, 2012
This man is so confused now.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
nwanna89: Jack of all trades. Master of none

I beg oh, leave our dear president . . . He is too "Smart"
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by canuck(m): 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
nwanna89: Jack of all trades. Master of none

Please which one of the trades has GEJ mastered? I dunno one.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by SNCOQ3(m): 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
Kay 17: Liberalize birth control methods. eg abortion.

That would take years and decades, however overpopulation strains the little economy and govt resources. I think its an immediate problem, so needs immediate solutions.

Abortion?? The evil of atheism.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 6:16pm On Jun 27, 2012
canuck:

Please which one of the trades has GEJ mastered? I dunno one.

He MUST have mastered eating really well for him to budget so much for feeding . . .
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Orikinla(m): 6:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
The poor masses are responsible for the population explosion in Nigeria.
Most of them should no longer be allowed to have children they cannot provide for.

They have no other achievements, except counting the numbers of their kids who in most cases are liabilities contributing little or nothing to our national development.

You see poor couples having 6 to 10 children and staying in squalid tenements in the ghettos.

Couples with more children should be made to pay more tax. And benefits should only be limited to two children. And any couple with less than combined annual income of N500, 000 should not be allowed to start a family until they can prove that they have enough annual income to provide adequately for the education and general welfare of the number of children they want to have.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Fhemmmy: 6:22pm On Jun 27, 2012
Orikinla: The poor masses are responsible for the population explosion in Nigeria.
Most of them should no longer be allowed to have children they cannot provide for.

They have no other achievements, except counting the numbers of their kids who in most cases are liabilities contributing little or nothing to our national development.

You see poor couples having 6 to 10 children and staying in squalid tenements in the ghettos.

Couples with more children should be made to pay more tax. And benefits should only be limited to two children. And any couple with less than combined annual income of N500, 000 should not be allowed to start a family until they can prove that they have enough annual income to provide adequately for the education and general welfare of the number of children they want to have.

Where will the tax come from, from the popcorn being sold on the street? Lol grin
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by killuminati(m): 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2012
ebamma: for this rainy season?,
I tire o, for dis kain time wey kporon dey stand so....!?grin
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by betrani(m): 6:37pm On Jun 27, 2012
ogugua88: I wonder why GEJ always has to mention that Nigeria would not be the first when he brings up a topic though. Because another nation has done it (and succeeded) doesn't mean it will work in Nigeria. Not with our kind of selfish politicians.

I do agree with this though. Birth control and immigration as Nigeria is super-overpopulated. Wish we could see the bill as it's easy to talk about any kind of change in Naija for how many terms and not do squat.
GEJ needs to specify that nigeria isn't d first to try a policy! Everytin he intends to do, that other countries ve done and succeeded; he needs to educate nigerians! Nigerians I would say are educated illiterate who claim to knw everytin! Wat happened to a lofty idea like subsidy removal? They all rejected it, not so? Our populations is really affectin our progress and development! If we had the brain, zeal, and "against-all-odds" atitude that china has then we won't need any o these!
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by Biggyd2: 6:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
As laudable as this may sound, I don't think it will work. Yes we don't need a law like this for an educated person who will readily tell you that with the situation in the country, the best contraceptive is his\her childrens school fees. There is however a great disparity between the percentage of the poor and uneducated in Nigeria? And there lies the problem.

Many of the poor in this country don't even have and form of recreation. They work from morning till night. And when they get home, there is no light to watch something as mundane as TV or listen to their radio(for those that have any). Madam and oga are then left to look at each other. Left with nothing else to do, they procreate. Poverty is a big problem. Aside from that how many of them have been educated to know that what our great grand parents told us that 'God bring pickin and im go take care of them' is not necessarily true? We can't put the cart before the horse.

And how do they want to deal with law and polygamy? Customary and sharia law embrace poligamy. Can this government give us the names of people in his cabinet or even the legislature who practice polygamy and how many children each of them have already? Will this law seriously apply to them as well(knowing what happens in this country)?

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by betrani(m): 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
nwani oma: With all the problems we are facing in this country, birth control bill is what the government is embarking on! Na wa oh! this country just makes me sick! BTW it would be violating our human right to free religion, My religion say go forth and multiply
If nor b illiteracy! U sef suppose sabi say if ur pocket nor heavy to raise kwashiokorless children! U nor go attempt to get small pot bellies and glittering-fat-cheeks littered all over d place with mucus for nostrills beggin attention! Reason with ur head for ur own good!
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by nijanigga: 6:53pm On Jun 27, 2012
This GEJ is the most ludicrous president we've ever seen. If he can't send a bill to execute all CORRUPT politicians and corrupt contractor,by firing squad, he want to send a bill to stop me from having as many kids as I want.Ok, let's go,let's roll the dice. A man with a Useless Ph.d.
Arrant Nonsense.
Re: GEJ To Send Birth Control Bill To National Assembly by canuck(m): 7:01pm On Jun 27, 2012
Orikinla:
They (poor masses) have no other achievements, except counting the numbers of their kids who in most cases are liabilities contributing little or nothing to our national development.

And you want to take that away from them in a country where nothing works?!?! What else will they do for self-actualization in a moribund economy?

At the breeding level, most poor folks are doing better than you middle-class/rich guys and gals. No fertility drugs and they give birth like rabbits! Abeg, no take bad-belle pour sand-sand for dia garri!

I say get the economy on its feet with fiscal discipline, selfless leadership, power sector, infrastructure, etc, and before long, Nigeria will have to start an aggressive immigration program to attract other African nationals to the country to manage the massive productivity that will follow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Tells Nigerians In South Africa To Respect Themselves / Burial Of Habib Jega, Ex-Kebbi House Of Assembly Speaker, Habib Jega / Yari, Associates Still In APC Despite Closure Of Inec’s Substitution Window

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.