Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain (22587 Views)

3 Things You May Be Doing On Facebook That Make People Dislike You Immediately / Three Things Microsoft Can’t Explain About Their Operating System / Windows Speed Secrets - Things Microsoft Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by tessyade: 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2012
@maleeq i hail o!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Maleeq(m): 5:04pm On Jun 27, 2012
HighBK: @maleek nice one, but you should have allowee people to enjoy this for sometime first. @ OP don't believe everything you see on the internet, they are sometimes maligned to amaze and entertain you. Nice post though.
I had already posted it before I thought of that too!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by tiarabubu: 5:04pm On Jun 27, 2012
[size=35pt]maleeq is a virus that just crash this hoax! Lol[/size]
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Maleeq(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
FXKing2012: @Maleeq, u are very good. Nice one bro! I was wondering if u would like to work my company.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I pwomise not to expose all the shady deals in your company if I am employed! grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by funshint(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq: No biggie. Its a known tradition that programmers/developers add "Easter Eggs" to applications.

These are hidden features that don't necessarily add features to the application. But they are kinda cool. Google it out, do you know there are hidden car racing games in lower versions of excel??

There are several reserved keywords in Windows. The restriction isn't a mistake/magic that, as you claim, even Microsoft cant explain. Ofcourse they put it there to avoid conflict. The CON is a DOS reserved keyword that was brought forward into Windows. CON is used to specify the device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.

And oh yes, you can create the folder. You have to specify the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path though. Try it:
Open the Command prompt by clicking Start -> Run and typing cmd
Enter: C:\> md \\.\c:\con and press the ENTER key.
Now, Open My Computer and browse through the path where you created CON folder... Surprising.. ?? Yeah.. you have created it successfully

Now, try to delete the folder from My computer. OOPS!!! You cant delete it...

Now, try this in command prompt console

C:\> rd \\.\c:\con

Yeah!! You did it...
Check this link for other names you cant use: Restricted File Names On Windows/DOS

Another hoax. They put it there to create "Filler texts" in a document. Not just the numbers (200, 99), try any combination.
Typing =rand(X,Y) (with numbers for X and Y) results in X paragraphs of Y repetitions of the sentence.
For example, =rand(10,10) will produce ten paragraphs, each with ten repetitions. Microsoft has officially described this as a feature and not an Easter egg.
While you are at it, try =rand() and see the "magic"

Wingdings font is all about symbols (characters to symbols), it was developed by Microsoft in 1990 and since then it has been a part of every text editor by Microsoft. Its no magic or hoax, but an amazing coincidence.
The magic is valid, but the flight number is a lie, those are not the flight numbers of the one that hit Twin Towers. The flight numbers were United Airlines Flight 175 and American Airlines flight 11. These, if shortened, would be UA175 and AA11. Q33N is just an interesting coincidence in notepad.

Neeeeeeeext!
tanx jare, b4 u know it sum1 would hv cum up wit 1 concocted illuminati theory!

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by xrazzy(m): 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
2kass: Even without knowing what you are saying, i concur grin
you are a GIN-HORSE!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by kinnex(m): 5:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
Nice thread.. Quite educative..
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by wellmax(m): 5:14pm On Jun 27, 2012
@ Maleeq
Bros yee, tualle, I hail.
If no be for you, somebody for just deceive us.
Thanks for the info.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Maleeq(m): 5:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
tiarabubu: [size=35pt]maleeq is a virus that just crash this hoax! Lol[/size]
hehehehehe! grin
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by etchel(m): 5:31pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq: No biggie. Its a known tradition that programmers/developers add "Easter Eggs" to applications.

These are hidden features that don't necessarily add features to the application. But they are kinda cool. Google it out, do you know there are hidden car racing games in lower versions of excel??

There are several reserved keywords in Windows. The restriction isn't a mistake/magic that, as you claim, even Microsoft cant explain. Ofcourse they put it there to avoid conflict. The CON is a DOS reserved keyword that was brought forward into Windows. CON is used to specify the device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.

And oh yes, you can create the folder. You have to specify the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path though. Try it:
Now, Open My Computer and browse through the path where you created CON folder... Surprising.. ?? Yeah.. you have created it successfully

Yeah!! You did it...
Check this link for other names you cant use: Restricted File Names On Windows/DOS

Another hoax. They put it there to create "Filler texts" in a document. Not just the numbers (200, 99), try any combination.
Typing =rand(X,Y) (with numbers for X and Y) results in X paragraphs of Y repetitions of the sentence.
For example, =rand(10,10) will produce ten paragraphs, each with ten repetitions. Microsoft has officially described this as a feature and not an Easter egg.

Wingdings font is all about symbols (characters to symbols), it was developed by Microsoft in 1990 and since then it has been a part of every text editor by Microsoft. Its no magic or hoax, but an amazing coincidence.
The magic is valid, but the flight number is a lie, those are not the flight numbers of the one that hit Twin Towers. The flight numbers were United Airlines Flight 175 and American Airlines flight 11. These, if shortened, would be UA175 and AA11. Q33N is just an interesting coincidence in notepad.

Neeeeeeeext!
Aha, here comes another geek. Thanks but d prb is do u work alone or u share rub minds or probably u are a teacher?
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by gbolahan1(m): 5:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq the silencer. U have just silenced the Poster n many other. I done commot my head ooo.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 27, 2012
WOW!!! Proud of this Maleq guy joor!!! DAMN!!!!! Waiting for someone to crash the illuminati junk too.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Koolking(m): 5:47pm On Jun 27, 2012

Yeah!! You did it...

Neeeeeeeext!

Amazing, how I love this topic. Thanks to the OP for posting the riddle. Very educative and entertaining. I must admit, I have learnt a whole new stuff. This maleeq is an 'egghead', I doff my hat for him. He indeed stole the spotlight from the OP.
I admire them both
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by abdul4me(m): 5:49pm On Jun 27, 2012
I recommend Naira Land to close comment on this post before this member commit [size=20pt]suicide[/size]
I don close work, na house I de go so, good night ooooooooooo
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by shadys(f): 5:49pm On Jun 27, 2012
In MS-DOS, several special "device files" were available to aid in performing certain tasks, such as clearing the screen or deleting extraneous output from a program. In order to maintain backwards-compatibility, all versions of Windows up to and including Windows 7 will refuse to allow you to create a file with these "reserved" device file names. The following file names are reserved:

CON
PRN
AUX
NUL
COM1
COM2
COM3
COM4
COM5
COM6
COM7
COM8
COM9
LPT1
LPT2
LPT3
LPT4
LPT5
LPT6
LPT7
LPT8
LPT9

CON, incidentally, was a device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.
Con for console

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by BaBaMike: 6:05pm On Jun 27, 2012
You can actually create a folder named CON !! This can be done through command prompt.

open Command Prompt (Windows Key +R and type cmd)
type cd\ and press enter.
type mkdir c:\con\ and press enter.

But it is advisable not to do so, as it might result in your system becoming unstable.

Magic 2:

This magic depend upon Version of your Notepad. Actually this is a bug in older versions of Notepad but now it has been removed. The phrase "Bush hid the facts " is combination of 4 3 4 5. It generates some chines words. This is an UNICODE error of Notepad However, some character strings that fit the "4,3,3,5" pattern do not generate the error. For example, the phrase "Bush hid the truth" is displayed normally. However, conspiracy theorists should not take this as aiding their argument. "Fred led the brats", "brad ate the trees" and other strings also escape the error.

Magic 3:

=rand(200,99) returns bunch of statement but why, because rand() function is used to generates automatically text and paragraphs. Now open that words document and find this phrase " The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" by using CTRL+F. This phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" contains all alphabets of English so it is used to test the font and font size in word document.
You can also try same this with this function "lorem().

Hope this will help

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by espn(m): 6:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
BizBooks: We really need several Maleeqs to help debunk some of the junk people post here. Mukina & Co
are making it more difficult by posting materials on the front page without editorial
oversight.
dats little..I observed dat when you start a thread b4 u knw it..d MODS wld have 1 of there friends put up d same thread u earlier created..u wld see it @ d front page nd u wld be amazed!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by idirect(m): 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
freecocoa:
But few minutes here on NL,we(maleeq and I) cracked it.cheesy

See ya mouth like U and maleeq
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ma'leak' will leak al d secrets of your company ooo....lol....
But seriously i dont agree with maleeq atallllll....all dese are signs of d end tym...microsoft machine is a spy on al homes..it shows dat evrythin we do on our computer is spyin on our lives,our homes...we r not safe...dis is what d christians call beast of no nature...d muslims call DAJJAL..d one eyed beats...now we all check facebook more dan we read bible or quran...dia ar so many hidden things dat dese computer stuff does on us or can do by just a command sent from bill gates...see d name..."bill gate" bill-payment for service..."gate"- entry to d good or d evil world...think abt it...pls nobody shud abuse me o
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by uceee(m): 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2012
That's right maleeq, teach them, school them.......you're the bomb.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by mfonini: 6:33pm On Jun 27, 2012
this post is from www.****.info spammers guys just join me there
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by doublej1(m): 6:55pm On Jun 27, 2012
Baba oh!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by paleo(m): 7:02pm On Jun 27, 2012
soe: Ma'leak' will leak al d secrets of your company ooo....lol....
But seriously i dont agree with maleeq atallllll....all dese are signs of d end tym...microsoft machine is a spy on al homes..it shows dat evrythin we do on our computer is spyin on our lives,our homes...we r not safe...dis is what d christians call beast of no nature...d muslims call DAJJAL..d one eyed beats...now we all check facebook more dan we read bible or quran...dia ar so many hidden things dat dese computer stuff does on us or can do by just a command sent from bill gates...see d name..."bill gate" bill-payment for service..."gate"- entry to d good or d evil world...think abt it...pls nobody shud abuse me o
..Guyman I am so resistin d urge 2 abuse u..this illuminati conspiracy u keep clamouring bout is all hoax and u've been caught in its web,in ur ideas and thinkin.u subconsciously allow dis idea 2 affect ur judgement on neutral issues.lyk som1 pin pointed earlier,we're all waitin 4 som1 2 com decode and dicipher its meaning just lyk malek did 2 dis thread...are u 4 real,if machine is a sign of end tym and spys on human lifes,why are u still usin it 2 browse nairaland 2 post comments.why usin ur phone..av u ever asked urself wat makes ur thinkin different from dat of boko men..if u talk bout time spent on facebook,well i'l agree a lil on dat but i'l also not rule out d fact dat visitin facebook is a matter of choice.Usin me 4 example,i bearly visit facebook but always on nairaland..dats issued cleared ryt...kk.now d part dat got me mad @ u was d bill gates part..1st bill gates was christen by his parent @ child birth.he didnt determine d name he would get and there was no dreams he would bcom dis great and get associated wit microsoft so ur premise 2 d argument is totally flawed.he neither saw his future nor knew he would b a guru 2day.and if I am 2 add,u are d 1 who is gettin all delusional bout ideas of computer and its "bin gate" 2 hell..truth b told,u are already captivated in d web of religion dat u cant even reason normally again lyk u should..enough analyses already from me alone.let som1 help me out on dis..concluding. guy,if not dat u said no abuse,i would av called u a nitwit, goat,cow,idiot,mumu,delusional,ewu and a crazy fellow stucked in d enclaves of d deception of religion..but thank ur star u said and pleaded b4 hand dat no abuses,so i wont call u these names..just try 2 b wise next tym..peace.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Maleeq(m): 7:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
paleo: .Guyman i am so resistin d urge 2 abuse u..this illuminati conspiracy u keep clamouring bout is all hoax and u've been caught in its web in ur ideas and thinkin.u subconsciously allow dis idea 2 affect ur judgement on neutral issues.lyk som1 said,we all waitin 4 som1 2 com decode it lyk malek did 2 dis thread...are u 4 real,if machine is a sign of end tym and spy,why are u now usin it 2 browse nairaland and post comments.why usin ur phone..av u ever asked urself wat makes ur thinkin different from dat of boko men..if u talk bout facebook well i'l agree a lil on dat but visitin facebook is just a matter of choice.lyk 4 example,i bearly visit facebook but always on nairaland.now d part dat got me mad @ u was d bill gates part..1st bill gates was named by his parent @ child birth.he didnt determine d name he would get and there was no dreams he would bcom dis great and get associated wit microsoft so ur premise 2 d argument is totally flawed and if i am 2 add,u are d 1 who is gettin delusional bout ideas of computer and it bin gate 2 hell..truth b told,u are already captivated in d web of religion dat u cant even reason normally again..enough analyses already from me alone.let som1 help me out on dis..so guy,if not dat u said no abuse,i would av called u a nitwit, goat,cow,idiot,mumu,delusional,ewu and a crazy fellow stucked in d enclaves of d deception of religion..but thank God u said no abuses so i wont call u these names..just try 2 b wise next tym..peace.
shocked shocked shocked grin

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by AK481(m): 7:18pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq=AK 48=maleeq ;DMaleeq=AK 48=maleeq
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by paleo(m): 7:19pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq:
shocked shocked shocked grin
Master Maleeq,why d bolded now,Na opinion i dey o.u want start fire wey fit burn down nairaland....@Egbon Seun, Abeg my hand no dey o.blames on maleeq o.

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by tchaik(m): 7:33pm On Jun 27, 2012
BaBa Mike: You can actually create a folder named CON !! This can be done through command prompt.

open Command Prompt (Windows Key +R and type cmd)
type cd\ and press enter.
type mkdir c:\con\ and press enter.

But it is advisable not to do so, as it might result in your system becoming unstable.

Magic 2:

This magic depend upon Version of your Notepad. Actually this is a bug in older versions of Notepad but now it has been removed. The phrase "Bush hid the facts " is combination of 4 3 4 5. It generates some chines words. This is an UNICODE error of Notepad However, some character strings that fit the "4,3,3,5" pattern do not generate the error. For example, the phrase "Bush hid the truth" is displayed normally. However, conspiracy theorists should not take this as aiding their argument. "Fred led the brats", "brad ate the trees" and other strings also escape the error.

Magic 3:

=rand(200,99) returns bunch of statement but why, because rand() function is used to generates automatically text and paragraphs. Now open that words document and find this phrase " The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" by using CTRL+F. This phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" contains all alphabets of English so it is used to test the font and font size in word document.
You can also try same this with this function "lorem().

Hope this will help

@Maleeq, na your broda be this?
Abi na Freecocoa? (that solved the ish with you) grin grin

SERIOUSLY; you guyz are awesome (only you and Maleeq)

@SOE, if not for your plea; I for insult you sotey, you no go fit sleep tonite! PASS THE MIC JOOR
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by engrj(m): 7:34pm On Jun 27, 2012
wOW Wow wOw this amazing and so interesting i like it i have tried it and it give me exactly what is there.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by KINGwax(m): 7:35pm On Jun 27, 2012
abuse u kë? You're a mad man already!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by frond: 7:38pm On Jun 27, 2012

Yeah!! You did it...

Neeeeeeeext!

Thanks for revealing the mystery. Indeed we have genius in our country. Keep it up.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by WhyAWhy(m): 7:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by newmaonza: 8:11pm On Jun 27, 2012
We all know d world ended Year 2000, and dat d Millenium bug ushered in rapture. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Easily Tether Or Share Your Simple Server Or Psiphon Connection To Other Phones / "I Am Not Cooking Your Balls" - Laptops Protest / What Do You Normally Use To Clean Your Laptop Screen ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.