Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. (1610 Views)

Nigeria “ll Only Support Nuclear Technology On Peaceful Purposes – Buhari / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / Oba Of Lagos, Akiolu Organises Prayer For Peaceful Co-existence In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 28, 2012
Against the background of international opposition to the acquisition of Nuclear energy by Iran, President Goodluck Jonathan Thursday assured the International community that Nigeria’s pursuit of nuclear technology was only for peaceful purposes.

From Left: Chairman/CEO, Nnigeria Atomic Energy Commission Dr. Franklin Erepamo Osaisai; Vice President Mohammed Namadi Sambo and Minister of Science and Technology Prof. Ita Okon Bassey during commissioning of the Reseachers’ Hostel and Conference Centre at Nuclear Technology Centre,sheda,fct Abuja. Thursday 28
While commissioning the Researchers’ Hostel and Conference Centre of the National Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC), in Abuja, president Jonathan said “the acquisition and use of nuclear technology for peaceful purposes is an important element in any nation’s path towards economic, scientific and technological development.

The president who was represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo noted that “Apart from the generation of electricity, nuclear energy finds ready peaceful applications in agriculture and food security, human health and medicine, water resources management, industry and in basic and applied scientific research.

“The decision to introduce nuclear power into our energy mix was made after lengthy and meticulous process, which involved the use of analytical and planning tools with the cooperation and assistance of the International Atomic energy Agency (IAEA).”

He charged NAEC to evolve mechanisms that will ensure its safe use when eventually pointing out that NAEC must also develop and implement appropriate mechanisms to assess, national, regional and international nuclear emergency preparedness and response capabilities.”

On the project that was commissioned, President Jonathan asserted that it was a critical national resource centre in the area of nuclear power educational infrastructure development, adding that “it is also an affirmation of this administration’s strong belief that the frontiers of socio-economic development are within the reach of any determined and committed society driven by science and technology.”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/nigerias-nuclear-power-is-for-peaceful-purposes-jonathan/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by jmaine: 8:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
I believe we have no reason to go nuclear cos our capacity in handling the shyte nuclear brings along is non existent . And not when the rest of the developed world are panicking about how to properly dispose their current toxic nuclear shyte that demands hundreds of years to degrade
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by NwaNimo1(m): 8:35pm On Jun 28, 2012
NNE-PA

Nigerian Nuclear Electricity Power Authority

(another scheme to chop money)

Anyway, the international community will not allow a unstable state full of terrorists(Nigeria) to engage in such a thing,

See how Boko move with impunity - what happens when they blow the reactors up?
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Piyke: 8:37pm On Jun 28, 2012
We've not been able to manage ordinary power stations and refineries but want to move to nuclear reactors. Our natural gas is busy wasting everyday being flared. Why not fully utilise that one before looking for something else. Germany as meticulous as they are shutdown their nuclear programme after the aftermath of fukushima in Japan. This move should be opposed by all means possible.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Otutu1(m): 8:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
Jonathan Jonathan Jonathan. respect ya self ooh!
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
All, yes I mean all Industrialized nations use Nuclear Energy because of the potency and the capacity of electricity generated. I am not playing down the major health hazards, but we do have uninhabited deserts and rainforest where nuclear facilities can be installed underground. We cant power this country only on gas, we need cheap nuclear fuel so gas can remain our revenue generator. Nuclear is the way forward. In 22nd century, cars and planes will be powered by nuclear turbines, the faster the world harnesses nuclear energy the earlier we will invent nuclear saucers that will fly us to the neighboring galaxies. The time is now.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by koruji(m): 12:03am On Jun 29, 2012
This is how they invite unnecessary attention, when they really have zero nuclear capability.

All of our available funds for "nuclear power" are enough to build and commission hostels and offices. That is it.

We are currently running from pillar to post to find foreign investors for conventional power capacity. Who dash monkey nuclear power plant?

@Billyonaire
Have you seen any nuclear plants in the desert anywhere in the world. Guess why not - they need huge amounts of constantly availability of water.
http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/nuclear_power_technology/got-water-nuclear-power.html
Download: Got Water? Nuclear Power Plant Cooling Water Needs

For every three units of energy produced by the reactor core of a U.S. nuclear power plants, two units are discharged to the environment as waste heat. Nuclear plants are built on the shores of lakes, rivers, and oceans because these bodies provide the large quantities of cooling water needed to handle the waste heat discharge.

Got Water? explains the cooling water needs of nuclear power plants and describes the various methods used to meet those needs. In addition, this 14-page illustrated backgrounder summarizes some of the problems nuclear power plants have encountered when the insatiable cooling water needs were unmet.

Billyonaire: All, yes I mean all Industrialized nations use Nuclear Energy because of the potency and the capacity of electricity generated. I am not playing down the major health hazards, but we do have uninhabited deserts and rainforest where nuclear facilities can be installed underground. We cant power this country only on gas, we need cheap nuclear fuel so gas can remain our revenue generator. Nuclear is the way forward. In 22nd century, cars and planes will be powered by nuclear turbines, the faster the world harnesses nuclear energy the earlier we will invent nuclear saucers that will fly us to the neighboring galaxies. The time is now.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 12:20am On Jun 29, 2012
koruji: This is how they invite unnecessary attention, when they really have zero nuclear capability.

All of our available funds for "nuclear power" are enough to build and commission hostels and offices. That is it.

We are currently running from pillar to post to find foreign investors for conventional power capacity. Who dash monkey nuclear power plant?

@Billyonaire
Have you seen any nuclear plants in the desert anywhere in the world. Guess why not - they need huge amounts of constantly availability of water.

Then the whole of SS,SE and SW is sorrounded by Ocean....we need this nuclear energy badly......I cant wait to stay online all day without buying diesel.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Kobojunkie: 12:25am On Jun 29, 2012
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Pataki: 12:32am On Jun 29, 2012
LOL!

It seems that this brainless buffoon of a president really needs to visit a psychiatric hospital.

Cassava bread last week, MAULAG yesterday, birth control bill tomorrow, Nuclear power today. grin

What a confused goat. undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 12:51am On Jun 29, 2012
Pataki: LOL!

It seems that this brainless buffoon of a president really needs to visit a psychiatric hospital.

Cassava bread last week, MAULAG yesterday, birth control bill tomorrow, Nuclear power today. grin

You have no rights to insult the person of the president, I am seriously considering labeling you a persona non-grata. What will you teach your kids about patriotism and tolerance ?
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Murphy7h4: 1:11am On Jun 29, 2012
Much appreciated
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by ODB1: 1:33am On Jun 29, 2012
Nigeria has no business acquiring Nuclear reactors. We have more than enough energy reserves in the form of natural gas which we are currently flaring off. I don't even think alternative sustainable energy sources can be a solution to our power requirements. That technology is still in it's infancy stage and would amount to wasteful investment once the technology becomes realistic in meeting our current energy demand.
I don't even want to see us build dams anymore other than reservoir dams for agriculture. Dams have been documented to be more harmful to the environment and ecology then green house gasses.
Countries like Japan and France can afford to have Nuclear powered reactors because of the lack of alternate fossil fuels.
But Nigeria with her abundant natural gas reserves should look into tapping and utilizing gas for electricity generation and even in transportation.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by ODB1: 1:41am On Jun 29, 2012
Billyonaire: All, yes I mean all Industrialized nations use Nuclear Energy because of the potency and the capacity of electricity generated. I am not playing down the major health hazards, but we do have uninhabited deserts and rainforest where nuclear facilities can be installed underground. We cant power this country only on gas, we need cheap nuclear fuel so gas can remain our revenue generator. Nuclear is the way forward. In 22nd century, cars and planes will be powered by nuclear turbines, the faster the world harnesses nuclear energy the earlier we will invent nuclear saucers that will fly us to the neighboring galaxies. The time is now.
Nuclear reactors require a water source to both generate steam to run the turbines and also cool the rods. Where are you going to get that water source in the desert? Nuclear power is by no means cheap. All countries that operate nuclear reactors, are fully subsidized by the government including the U.S.
Current Nuclear Fission technology is not the future but the past. Nuclear fussion is the future.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Obiagu1(m): 1:57am On Jun 29, 2012
Once it's not sited in the SE, make dem carry go with their fantasy.

Dey no fit manage hydro power na nuclear power dey wan manage?
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 29, 2012
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by koruji(m): 2:16am On Jun 29, 2012
Yeah, that is right - all you need for a nuclear powerplant is water

Where are the coal powerplants that you have built, where at the gas powered plants, where are the oil powered plants - despite abundance of all these resources?

People with no teeth attempting to enroll in a guguru eating contest.

I dey laugh o!

Billyonaire: Then the whole of SS,SE and SW is sorrounded by Ocean....we need this nuclear energy badly......I cant wait to stay online all day without buying diesel.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by fagamite: 2:30am On Jun 29, 2012
koruji: Yeah, that is right - all you need for a nuclear powerplant is water

Where are the coal powerplants that you have built, where at the gas powered plants, where are the oil powered plants - despite abundance of all these resources?

People with no teeth attempting to enroll in a guguru eating contest.

I dey laugh o!

The journey to self-annihilation starts with a single step. grin
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by dasparrow: 4:44am On Jun 29, 2012
Piyke: We've not been able to manage ordinary power stations and refineries but want to move to nuclear reactors. Our natural gas is busy wasting everyday being flared. Why not fully utilise that one before looking for something else. Germany as meticulous as they are shutdown their nuclear programme after the aftermath of fukushima in Japan. This move should be opposed by all means possible.

My thoughts exactly. Well said!
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 29, 2012
O.D.B.:

Nuclear reactors require a water source to both generate steam to run the turbines and also cool the rods. Where are you going to get that water source in the desert? Nuclear power is by no means cheap. All countries that operate nuclear reactors, are fully subsidized by the government including the U.S.
Current Nuclear Fission technology is not the future but the past. Nuclear fusion is the future.
Wetin concern me if its nuclear fusion or fission. All I need is nuclear energy as source of energy. If they like they should split atoms or combine radio-active isotopes, bottom line is enormous energy will be generated to solve world's energy needs. Methinks that if all the money wasted in fighting wars was channeled into safe nuclear energy researches, nuclear fusion which is relatively safe would have been totally mastered and controlled, by now, We would have been paying tfare to go see other planets needless to mention common electricity. That being said, Nigeria can not continue to have excuses why it can not join the league of nuclear nations. Without nuclear weapons, you have no voice.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 29, 2012
ROTFLMAO

Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Mandelaguy(m): 6:30am On Jun 29, 2012
Pataki: LOL!

typical hater remark. Try something new,we have lost interest in your childish games at being relevance. Anyway,the nuclear energy issue has a lot of positives if controlled and harnessed. Even the buffoons that are opening their mouths wide know the truth,but they have formed the habit of denying the truth if when it is starring hem to their faces. Nice thinking GEJ.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 29, 2012
i reserve my comment
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by homerac7: 3:52pm On Jun 29, 2012
This is foolish priority.

Gas plants, we can't maintain.

Gas feedstocks, we can't even harvest enough to use.

Coal mines r abandoned.

Dams r under utilized and mismanaged.

Refineries r badly maintained.

Pipelines r poorly secured and r numorously leaking

Now we want nuclear plants...

Only babies talk and think like that...oh sorry!...politicians too. If u believe in dat let me hear u say SANTA CLAUS! Yea, Santa is coming to town soon wt brand new nuclear plant to b sited in Nguru desert of Yobe, oh sorry, ...forgot Bayelsa is d new destination choice....but never mind, Santa won't make mistake wt dt.

Only a gullible soul will miss d mischief behind d whole ruse to deflect attention away from obvious failure to deliver on electricity. Do we think the other world leaders think irrationally as ours as to allow/approve a nuclear plant b sited here? Abi we think say na like aboki mai taba shop we dey talk about? It's good to dream and walk in path of ones dreams, but its gross folly not to b able to separate realities from mere fantasies.

It's not dt we dot have d economic credit potential to fund one nor suitable space and people to man it, but we don't have the character as a community to handle complex and sophisticated systems. Worse Is that everyone knows this except we ourselves.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by homerac7: 3:53pm On Jun 29, 2012
This is foolish priority.

Gas plants, we can't maintain.

Gas feedstocks, we can't even harvest enough to use.

Coal mines r abandoned.

Dams r under utilized and mismanaged.

Refineries r badly maintained.

Pipelines r poorly secured and r numorously leaking

Now we want nuclear plants...

Only babies talk and think like that...oh sorry!...politicians too. If u believe in dat let me hear u say SANTA CLAUS! Yea, Santa is coming to town soon wt brand new nuclear plant to b sited in Nguru desert of Yobe, oh sorry, ...forgot Bayelsa is d new destination choice....but never mind, Santa won't make mistake wt dt.

Only a gullible soul will miss d mischief behind d whole ruse to deflect attention away from obvious failure to deliver on electricity. Do we think the other world leaders think irrationally as ours as to allow/approve a nuclear plant b sited here? Abi we think say na like aboki mai taba shop we dey talk about? It's good to dream and walk in path of ones dreams, but its gross folly not to b able to separate realities from mere fantasies.

It's not dt we dot have d economic credit potential to fund one nor suitable space and people to man it, but we don't have the character as a community to handle complex and sophisticated systems. Worse Is that everyone knows this except we ourselves.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Pataki: 12:37am On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: You have no rights to insult the person of the president, I am seriously considering labeling you a persona non-grata. What will you teach your kids about patriotism and tolerance ?

Never in your pathetic arse-licking life should you refer to my post again! I have very low tolerance level to all you GEJ arse-lickers wannabees

Who is this idi0t talking to? Billygoat bleating about patriotism and tolerance? Tolerance to what? A clueless shoeless retarded canoe maker?

Asinine goat!

Mandelaguy: typical hater remark. Try something new,we have lost interest in your childish games at being relevance. Anyway,the nuclear energy issue has a lot of positives if controlled and harnessed. Even the buffoons that are opening their mouths wide know the truth,but they have formed the habit of denying the truth if when it is starring hem to their faces. Nice thinking GEJ.
''At being relevance''? undecided Just like Patience, you must have been a student under GEJ.

Did you read the latest classic from the stables of the clueless one? Power supply by 2020, no reference to this nuclear power generation. What a disjointed, clueless and useless government. Tell me one truth/reality that GEJ has said and effectively undertaken in just one year of administration! Just one!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 30, 2012
Pataki:

Never in your pathetic arse-licking life should you refer to my post again! I have very low tolerance level to all you GEJ arse-lickers wannabees

Who is this idi0t talking to? Billygoat bleating about patriotism and tolerance? Tolerance to what? A clueless shoeless retarded canoe maker?

Asinine goat!

''At being relevance''? undecided Just like Patience, you must have been a student under GEJ.

Did you read the latest classic from the stables of the clueless one? Power supply by 2020, no reference to this nuclear power generation. What a disjointed, clueless and useless government. Tell me one truth/reality that GEJ has said and effectively undertaken in just one year of administration! Just one!!!

F00lish boy, dont address me in that manner.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: You have no rights to insult the person of the president, I am seriously considering labeling you a persona non-grata. What will you teach your kids about patriotism and tolerance ?
thanks dear! I've bin constantly hammering on this; pple shud learn hw 2 b constructive in passing a simple msg. D truth is dat pple like him can't perform any beta in anytin.
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by maigaskiya1: 10:50pm On Jun 30, 2012
O.D.B.:

Current Nuclear Fission technology is not the future but the past. Nuclear fussion is the future.
then d sw wil be a gud location
Re: Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Is For Peaceful Purposes – Jonathan. by maigaskiya1: 10:58pm On Jun 30, 2012
O.D.B.:

then d sw wil be a gud location
Obiagu1: Once it's not sited in the SE, make dem carry go with their fantasy.

Dey no fit manage hydro power na nuclear power dey wan manage?
O.D.B.:

then d sw wil be a gud location o boy u get sense at all ur hoples con3 ndva manage refinary na nucler nd u hav d guts 2 ask 4 it 2be sitd in d se.wel na ur vilage go gve d land.anu mpam

(1) (Reply)

Abacha Driver Mohammed Abdul, Was Bribed By Obasanjo To Accuse Abacha Of Looting / What Of If Okorocha Emerges As Presidential Candidate Of the Mega Party? / Nollywood Star Saint Obi Now A Media Consultant To Pres. Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.