Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,208 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme (8221 Views)

GEJ & PMB: Power Generation Comparison April 2015 Vs April, 2016 / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Murphy7h4: 9:47am On Jun 30, 2012
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 30, 2012
lipsrsealed
Murphy7h4: lol[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]

I have no problem with utilizing nuclear to source our electricity but we have got to be rational going about this. We have not been able to manage our petroleum properly, perhaps safely, and we want to go nuclear? Who is deceiving who here? I was born and raised in Nigeria, I know Nineja well well, know their love for money. If terrorists gave $1 million to the guards guarding the nuclear facility to sabotage it, they will do it in a heart beat, killing all of us, including themselves.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by joejeezy(m): 10:04am On Jun 30, 2012
Abeg make dem no carry am cm my area o, cuz one day u fit hear say d tin vex kill d whole state....na beg i d beg
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 30, 2012
All of you supporting this initiative are dumb. Why are Nigerians so stupid? Sincerely speaking, I was thinking about being the forerunners for the development of this nation but obviously, this my generation lacks wisdom. What is wrong with you guys self? Nigeria has so many primary problems that should be treated first and we want to go for nuclear energy. 650 million naira! Just for a start! How many millions of people go hungry in Nigeria everyday? How many millions lack shelter? What about the security problems we have at hand like Boko Haram? Have you guys ever thought that this is a daft move to embezzle money again? Wasnt that what Obasanjo and Atiku told us when they foolishly spent 14 billion usd in the power sector while promising you fools better energy by 2015? Now they want to go for Nuclear energy. Hahahahaha. I just laugh. Now lets presume we have treated all these problems and Nigeria is corruption free presumably. What of the security implications of a Nuclear power in the event of a Nuclear disaster like the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine? O most Nigerians are already dead before their real death. What of the recent Japanese Nuclear disaster when they had an Earthquake? Japan with all its best technology in the world are not able to tackle that problem up till now. They still have poisoned Vegetables, fruits and highly acidic lands. Nairalanders be informed. When you are INFORMED, you become REFORMED. When you are not INFORMED, you become DEFORMED! Period.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Eltonluigi(m): 10:12am On Jun 30, 2012
What type of a country would build a nuclear hostel near its capital?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by gbadexy(m): 10:13am On Jun 30, 2012
No problem, they have vast land in the north. Let them build their nuclear station there.
Russia that has high disaster rate, they are very advanced but seem to have problems with casualties with most of their technology, probably due to corruption or lack of maintainace.
Canada generates almost 40,000 megawatt and the use their hydro turbine and other environmental friendly means. I'm not sure if france and britain use it, but a lot more advanced country than nigeria are not contemplating it.
It is not beans, I saw a documentary about a community in america where there was an accident in their nuclear plant, the people had to be evacuated but the exposed people are still battling with cancer and other genetic disorder, it can be googled as I don't have the exact name and datas off hand but it sure happened.
If america that is developed and have high maintenance culture can have accidents, God save us in nigeria.
I swear to God Almighty, I read an article on Tell magazine some years back about nigeria buying some nuclear enrichment mineral and the was abandoned for years, now someone sold it along with other materials as scrap to an european country and they now discovered at their port that there were some radiation emitted from the scrap, and lo, it was the material earlier bought by nigeria.
The canada's source of electricity generation was also read on tell, I wish they have archive online so one can still have access to their incredible news but the datas can be gotten on google.
I don't support nigeria's nuclear program. We have vast land in the north where countless solar panel and windmill can be erected and they have abundant of those there due to low vegetation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by OLUWAMETOO: 10:20am On Jun 30, 2012
nigeria dat cant take proper care of hydro power is going to nuclear......hw will they suspect leak.....the waste..........a lot of work has to b done.....they shud sha nt build it ner my side.........radiation is terrible...it might nt show in u nw...but future
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by bombwar(m): 10:21am On Jun 30, 2012
Way to go GEJ,haters can kiss ur hairy and oily bottom
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80: True, lets only concentrate on gas till we completely run out of gas and then we can start developing Nuclear and other alternative power sources. I'm certain that by then, our super generation of genetically modified two headed citizens wld be "ripe" for nuclear power. Right?
Are you stupid ? Please I need an answer.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 30, 2012
Its a step in the right direction but it is also predictable that the world police called USA will start getting jittery soon. Mark my word, once they are aware that Russia is making serious commitment to develop nuclear plant, they will label Boko Haram terrorist organization and influence IAEA to veto the nuclear project. I expected FG to contract USA to handle it and not Russia, that way, their bad belle go lessen as they are losing out on major futuristic contracts in Africa. By and large, nuclear energy as source of electricity, remains the best option, but the plant has to be located in the West, close to the Atlantic Ocean, i no wan hear say, wahala dey and my family for N'Delta get gbege. grin
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Abbycite(m): 10:31am On Jun 30, 2012
Sometimes, it cracks me up when I read some comments from u guys. And it has dawn on me that, Nigerians are d only set of people that want change in their lives but are not willing to change the way they do things. For God sake, we can't continue to do things d same way and xpect things to change. Sourcing for nuclear power is d only viable solution to our current predicament in d energy sector. D only thing we can take is to make sure govt take proper measure in ensuring standard safety measure...
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by lacasa: 10:32am On Jun 30, 2012
Nuclear energy wen common light dem no fit manage?

Chai! Jona cheesy Jona cheesy
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by nanizle(m): 10:38am On Jun 30, 2012
The day NIGERIA starts operating a nuclear power plant is the day I'll relocate to another country. I very strongly believe that NIGERIA cannot maintain a nuclear power plant.

NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY IS NOT CHILD'S PLAY!!!!!

WE ARE NOT READY FOR IT!!!
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by jmaine: 10:40am On Jun 30, 2012
just to bring in consistency . . . . .If you are in support of State policing then please do not castigate this . .cos they all look similar . . .

Great intentions but employing them here is disaster waiting to happen . . . .IMO, we are not ready for such things at this point in our history . . . .
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by member479760: 10:40am On Jun 30, 2012
nothing will work, with Russia! besides Russian women nothing good will come from those people.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by KINGwax(m): 10:46am On Jun 30, 2012
Anybody heard abt dt nuclear disaster wit d JAPS? some will bribe someone and someone will recieve money(not bribe as they say) to plant bomb while d project are going on. Someone will say they're militants and fighting for their village when in d hidden truth, he has received cash from someone who is corrupt and the stable power will be a problem to his illegal business. Then someone will be president and stop d whole process because it won't give his pockets better cash than him awarding his own projects. Some senators will stand and say they're fighting for d masses when in truth they've recieved bribe from some other set of businessmen who sees the success of d programme as a potential hitch in their business and stop d process. Or better yet..anybody dt has a brain will knw dt in Nigeria, d goverment will apologise dt the recent explosion at the Bleep power station was caused because d plant has been leaking or faulty since yrs back. And d minister for nuclear energy(who is a professor in zoology) has been travellin to garbon for potential help.
Corruption, incompetency, mismanagement, negligence, stupiditi, lack of organization and all shittz is alwys plaguing us!
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 30, 2012
Best news I have heard in years.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by jmaine: 11:04am On Jun 30, 2012
LeoMax: Best news I have heard in years.

Congratulation is in order for you here . . .
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Builder: 11:19am On Jun 30, 2012
Germany says all of its nuclear power plants will be shut by 2022 in the wake of the Fukushima crisis in Japan, just then nigeria says it will starts its own. what is wrong with this stupid country, simple roads we dont have, water we dont have nothing we have going for us, no maintaneace culture, we havent find ways of tackling BOKO HAREN , guess what!!!! we want nuclear power. I pray to God nothing happens because Chynobyl and fukushima will be like a wedding reception

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by wesley80(m): 11:20am On Jun 30, 2012
Billyonaire: Are you stupid ? Please I need an answer.

You must be daft not to have heard the word "Sarcasm" before!
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by 3rdparty: 11:23am On Jun 30, 2012
Another Chernobyl nuclear disaster in the making.

We can't maintain Nitel, PHCN, Refinery, pipelines, water corporation, roads, etc, na Nuclear remain
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Nobody: 11:24am On Jun 30, 2012
wesley80:

You must be daft not to have heard the word "Sarcasm" before!
NO, Have you heard of seriousness before ?
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by nasty45(m): 11:27am On Jun 30, 2012
Abeg mk i do ja comot frm naija.na whic ppl wan carry out the maintenance?nigerians?MTCHEW,wahala de b dt.....we no de do bomb buh boko boys get bomb,com talk of nuclear atom.tis a nice idea buh unles tis d russians dt'l do the maintenance
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by kettykin: 11:35am On Jun 30, 2012
Russians again strongly convinced this will end up like Ajaokuta.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by mamaafrik(m): 11:56am On Jun 30, 2012
Hmmm i was tink somwhere in ekiti,sokoto,bayelsa suld do,just imagine japanese nuclear accident in lagos(wish abuja'll bcom 1 day)
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by kiyosaki1(m): 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2012
3rdparty: Another Chernobyl nuclear disaster in the making.

We can't maintain Nitel, PHCN, Refinery, pipelines, water corporation, roads, etc, na Nuclear remain
On point the GEJ apologists like brag and co don't seem to analyse issues and situations before coming to be defending any program set up by the FG just because its proposed by an arm of the FG do not make it a sustainable venture we all know our safety and maintenance culture is nothing to write home about or let's look at it in this way another means of providing foods for beaf bosses do I may be wrong
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by erniok(m): 12:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
The Three Gorges Dam in China, Itaipu Dam in Brazil, and Guri Dam in Venezuela give more than 10GW. these are hydroelectricity plants. what is wrong with upgrading our hydro plants. ohh...i get it, we like exotic things that we cant manage and maintain properly and will kill us off eventually.

All those in support of this plan, i wish i can recommend to FG to site the plans in your communities; very, very close to your family houses.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by homerac7: 12:24pm On Jun 30, 2012
Again, I condemn ds move not because I don't wish Nigeria to advance but because its very very avoidable if power generation is d sole purpose.

A dumb head earlier asked what would Nigeria resort to after we run out of gas. Many half informed people shouting here don't even know dt Nigeria Is more of a gas producing nation than oil producing. As at 2010, oil reserve was 40 years while gas was 120 years. Even as at now, we flare off more gas than we use. And from what we use to power turbines, our transmission system can't support full generation of d power plants steadily without collapsing due to undercapacity and other inefficiencies.

Out of d turbine houses in Kainji, not all units r installed. Some were left uninstalled at commissioning for future expansion and some of the commissioned one packed up years back wtout replacements. Same for Shiroro and Jebba. Dadinkowa for example has d turbines delivered to site where It rusted away for many years without installation. Only read in d news not too long ago dt another turbines hav been procured for Installation there. Similar stories trail most of dams built for agriculture and power pourposes, yet we only know of kainji, shiroro and jebba. Many more dams were in plan and up till few years ago, the govt hasn't done feasibility studies for most of d rivers in d southern Nigeria.

For gas plants, it currently provides over 70% of current national capacity. But wt dt, egbin has uninstalled units, same for sapele and port Harcourt. Most of those plants were built wt future expansion capacities wc have not been activated.

All those said, anyone wt good understanding of Nigeria power problem knows dt the biggest immediate challenge is getting enough gas to d power plants. The gas r there in Niger delta but d handling infrastructural capacity is abysmally low. It's y most of d power plants can't even run up to their present capacity. Currently, Nigeria has installed capacity of about 10GW but generation is about 3.5GW while consumption is somewhat below 10GW.

Don't even mention evacuation and distribution.

Now you see that its ignorance to think that nuclear plant is d immediate need of Nigeria's power crises. Nigeria can conveniently advance without it for another 50-80yrs without qualms. So nothing is pressing about It.

Did I mention coal? What about off shore wind? Do u realize Nigeria has one of largest lagoon formations? ...think tidal.

One ignorant govt apologists mentioned In one thread earlier that d present govt has COMPLETED Mambilla power project....WHAAAAAAT D FREAKIN HELL!!!...JEEEEZZZZ!!! Was nematode has come up again on this thread doing what he's paid for-telling lies! Mambilla that hasn't even been started? Does he think its aboki mai taba kiosk he can build in a week we r talking here? Mambilla is to be d flagship of dams in Nigeria with abt 3GW capacity. That's a monster! ...and here's a joker talking from all cardinal points of his mouth...just like his cohorts from pit of hell.

My point is nuclear plant is not needed by Nigeria for now, period!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Dpeacemaker101: 12:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
We wake up every morning, to hear the good news and development plans of our dear nation, am really impressed. The sky is our beginning.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by homerac7: 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2012
erniok: The Three Gorges Dam in China, Itaipu Dam in Brazil, and Guri Dam in Venezuela give more than 10GW. these are hydroelectricity plants. what is wrong with upgrading our hydro plants. ohh...i get it, we like exotic things that we cant manage and maintain properly and will kill us off eventually.

All those in support of this plan, i wish i can recommend to FG to site the plans in your communities; very, very close to your family houses.

Lolzz...

No waterbody in Nigeria has flow capacities of d mighty rivers on which those dams r sited. Remember those r some of the longest and largest rivers- Yangtse for Three Gorges Dam and Amazon for Itaipu and Guri. No Nigerian river is near them in flow.

The biggest is Africa is d planned Grand Inga Dam in Congo DR with rejection to sell electricity up to Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by Reference(m): 1:09pm On Jun 30, 2012
Good move. The time to start is now.
Re: Nigeria & Russia Commence Nuclear Power Generation Programme by otokx(m): 2:02pm On Jun 30, 2012
Another wild goose chase

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidency Defends N5.6bn Paid To Ex-militants / Igbo Have No Leaders – Ben Obi / Petrol Station Manager Killed By Gunmen In Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.