Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study (4449 Views)

Dream Says Lot About Your Life Knows Yours Interpretation / Nigerian Foods That Help Lower Blood Pressure / Young People Who Smoke Marijuana (cannabis) Are Likely To Have Lower Iqs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by dani1luv: 2:37pm On Jun 30, 2012
Washington – Among people at high risk of diabetes are people who get very little exercise, according to U.S study.

The study also showed that those who manage to walk more throughout the day are less likely to actually develop the blood sugar disorder.

Earlier studies have shown that walking more is tied to a lower risk of diabetes, but few studies have looked into precise measures of how many steps people take each day, said Amanda Fretts, lead author of the study and a researcher at the University of Washington in Seattle.

“Our finding wasn’t surprising given that other studies have shown that even light activity is associated with a lower risk of diabetes,”Fretts wrote in an email to Reuters Health.

To get a better sense of the potential benefits of walking, Fretts and her colleagues asked more than 1,800 people to wear a pedometer for a week to tally the number of steps they typically took each day.

All of them came from native American communities in Arizona, Oklahoma and North and South Dakota that are known to have low physical activity levels and high rates of diabetes.

About a quarter of the group were considered to have very low activity, taking fewer than 3,500 steps a day, while half took fewer than 7,800 steps a day.

One mile is around 2,000 steps and daily walking recommendations typically point to a minimum of 10,000 steps a day.

At the beginning of the study, none of the participants had diabetes.

But after five years of follow-up, 243 people had the condition.

About 17 per cent of the people in the lowest activity group developed diabetes, compared to 12 per cent of the people who took more than 3,500 steps a day.

After taking into account people’s age, whether they smoked and other diabetes risk factors, Fretts’s team determined that people who walked the most were 29 per cent less likely to develop diabetes than those who walked the least.

The findings don’t prove that walking more is responsible for the lower diabetes risk, but Fretts offered some possible explanations for how walking might help.

“Increased physical activity may prevent weight gain and promote weight loss, a major determinant of diabetes risk,”she said.

Physical activity also has effects on inflammation, glucose and other molecules in the body that could help lower diabetes risk.

But she added that the potential benefits of moderate levels of walking are “only for those who are really inactive to begin with.” (Reuters/NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/people-who-walk-a-lot-have-lower-diabetes-risk-study/
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by RossTaylor: 7:32am On Jul 02, 2012
I agree that walking increases your life span as it prevents you getting diabetes or heart diseases. A daily walk for about thirty minutes can keep your body and organs healthy. It controls your cholesterol level and purifies blood circulation.
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 02, 2012
RossTaylor: I agree that walking increases your life span as it prevents you getting diabetes or heart diseases. A daily walk for about thirty minutes can keep your body and organs healthy. It controls your cholesterol level and purifies blood circulation.
Whats the meaning of the emboldened
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by dapsyd1(m): 10:05am On Jul 02, 2012
I do not totally agree with u, my dad walk more miles per day yet he died of diabetes.
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by kingsilly(m): 10:06am On Jul 02, 2012
Tank God say i broke small...na legedis all d way
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Nightshift(m): 11:10am On Jul 02, 2012
Nigerians used to walk far distance before OKADA culture took over our people. Nowadays, people board Okada for a journey of 500m! Get your arse off the damn Okada and walk!!
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by redsun(m): 11:18am On Jul 02, 2012
Processed and high sugar food are the main causes of diabetes,it doesnt matter one,s size. Though,fat is a factor but not a key one. White rice,white rice,whiue sugar are all poisonous when eaten always. Not to mention sugared drinks like coke.
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by inspirenet: 11:19am On Jul 02, 2012
Nightshift: Nigerians used to walk far distance before OKADA culture took over our people. Nowadays, people board Okada for a journey of 500m! Get your arse off the damn Okada and walk!!
smiley
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by valencia25(m): 11:19am On Jul 02, 2012
Let the Walking begin.....
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Aifey(m): 11:21am On Jul 02, 2012
Whites always look 4a of gainin attention. Somany of our aged Perents those days walk n treak alot yet greater% of then are diabetic. Last year a study in britain told girls 2get there breast sucked 2lower d risk of breast cancer. Do nt mind them. Is here they sale such aticles n nt there.
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 02, 2012
These white people and their funny studies self. My grandfather has been walking daily since he was 5 and still was diagnosed with diabetes. He is known to have crisscross the entire village in the name of walking. Was dubbed in igbo "Onye eeje" meaning "Walker walker" in English!
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Blackteeth(m): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2012
Danka7777: These white people and their funny studies self. My grandfather has been walking daily since he was 5 and still was diagnosed with diabetes. He is known to have crisscross the entire village in the name of walking. Was dubbed in igbo "Onye eeje" meaning "Walker walker" in English!

Maybe it doesn't work for Africans who take poor diets. grin
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by redsun(m): 12:08pm On Jul 02, 2012
Blackteeth:
Maybe it doesn't work for Africans who take poor diets. grin

Africans dont necessarily take poor diets. Bad combination maybe,but average african diets are quite safer than the pesticide,insecticide and chemical full western diets that i personally suspect are the main cause of cancer epidemic in the west,even with the socalled high standard of living.

An average non organic apple has been scientifically confirmed to contain more than 80 diffrent types of pesticides and insectides. And ignorant hard up people eat them everyday, in the name of 5 portions of fruits and veg a day for healthy living. Healthy living my ass.
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by kalufelix(m): 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2012
Ma view is nat only limited to walkin... i'l say jst find a way 2 take sweat outta ur body..nat 4rm office 2 car 2 house u re in airconditioner...
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Kaylee1: 2:33pm On Jul 02, 2012
Danka7777: These white people and their funny studies self. My grandfather has been walking daily since he was 5 and still was diagnosed with diabetes. He is known to have crisscross the entire village in the name of walking. Was dubbed in igbo "Onye eeje" meaning "Walker walker" in English!

Diet plays a major role in the equation of things. Also, he probably led a physically active life in his younger days, and has become more sedentary now.
Susceptibility through heredity could also contribute.

My mum, like your grandad, would walk miles upon miles yet she was still diagnosed with the ailment.
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by redcliff: 3:47pm On Jul 02, 2012
dapsy d: I do not totally agree with u, my dad walk more miles per day yet he died of diabetes.
maybe his sugar intake was more than his walk perday.. speaking of someone taking 3bottles of coke perday and still drinks garri and eats rice and walks 1km per day. wont work my bro... wont work
Re: People Who Walk A Lot Have Lower Diabetes Risk – Study by Watermelon(m): 6:39pm On Jul 02, 2012
Na so my great great grand father come wlker sotee by age 40 him leg don bow from athritis, which one we dey sef?, if u no walk na diabetes, if u walk na athritis, na wah oh ;DNa so my great great grand father come wlker sotee by age 40 him leg don bow from athritis, which one we dey sef?, if u no walk na diabetes, if u walk na athritis, na wah oh

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Heard Of Pcos? / Someone Should Please Help Me With My Hard Palms.. / COVID-19 Update For September 22 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.