Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1782774 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 8:06pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

You are 100% correct!
Those that are putting up all these "artist impression" NOT REAL actually built cities, are just talking without thinking.

Abagworo summed it by saying it will not be feasible to lay out such contruction in Enugu if it were not a federal capital or hold some importance. So that means, he has realized the impracticability of the suggestion for Enugu.

The other guy just loves to spam the thread and post more and more rendition for the sake of it. Without asking himself the critical question why an investor would sink billions of dollars in Lagos or Abuja but not in Enugu. Even an elementary 1 pupil knows the answer! They are federal capitals and commercial centers of Nigeria!

Anyway,he self confessed to have been educated in the north. No wonder.
Try reasoning with Shekau
grin

Please dont do that. We should not be attacking people here.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 8:10pm On Sep 16, 2014
londoner:

I agree, I am also against unchecked anything, especially when it comes to cities or town planning.

There are only two options, either build up, or across/out. I'm not advocating an ugly sprawl and incohesive development either. London is one city that regenerates areas across itself and outwards at a steady, planned pace. At the same time there is investment and development in transport. The key is to create a situation where people are not really disadvataged to any unbearable length, by living on the outskirts, because there is more than one centre both within and outside the dominant centre.

There is not just one dominant administration, but many local authorities that are equipped and knowledgeable about specific needs of their locality, but also the collective/wider need and vision. I agree that ALL cities town of the SE should be developed with this in mind.

If we can think collectively, we can act in a manner that supports our population, commerce and industries in each state that make up the REGION.

But, will our political and economic leaders come to together for long enough to see the bigger picture though, or will it degenerate into the usual egotistical clashes of "my state versus your state" ?

Europe has done a better job than the US. The US has several sprawl cities. The end result is the city of all cities are just giant ghettos and the wealth flees to the outskirts. By the time more sprawl is added, that nice house you bought 10 years ago is now considered ghetto and you can't sell it for a better one because everyone wants to buy something brand new further away from the ghetto in the city center.

Eastern cities just be like this.
1. Limit expansion for a 15 year period
2. Conserve land (natural parks, historic cites, forests, gardens, valleys etc). In fact surround cities with land reserves so that the cities stop sprawling
3. Enforce a building code within the city that says buildings can't be older than 70 years, must be a certain height, and a certain quality.

You will see people transform their own neighborhoods into modern cities over night. Tax violators and use the penalty tax to buy old or abandoned properties and turn them into something viable and modern. The ones living in bungalows that are occupying valuable land will be able to sell their bungalow for a great price because the supply of land being limited increases the value. The person that buys that land from them will by nature be wealthy due to the ability to buy the land and will demolish the unfit bungalow and replace it with a multi-story.

These multi-stories will not only house businesses, but people and serve as storage or parking spaces. You'll get a city that runs cleaner and smart and is more economically robust.

If you wake 10 businesses and stack 2 on top of each other, it requires less roads to link them, less cable and power to electrify them, less water to nourish them, and the end result is the government budget can literally drop in half in that 15 years while serving the same amount or more people. If you have 10 business, all of them with 10 buildings, you need double and amenities to facilitate them.

You can limit the height of buildings so that property prices are stable for everyone across the board and this also discourages sprawl because spread will be slow and steady.

If you stack buildings, you can fit more economic activity and people into a smaller space, economies will double, budgets will shrink, and the quality of life will skyrocket. We will then be able to consider things like light rail, water ways etc. When PH said they wanted to build a light rail i laughed. Sprawl has turned PH into a giant slum and the cost of putting light rail from one end to another is enough to build a regular rail to lagos.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 8:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
londoner:

Please dont do that. We should not be attacking people here.
You are right,we need to stick to the issue.
But, I had to add that line after the Dude in question was making reference that i was panicking.
Like WTF? Why should I be afraid of his opinion? I only asked him if he was changing his skyscrapers clusters advocacy position by posting Amaechi's projects as examples of what he meant.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 8:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
Great insightful contributions all through. First,who said Enugu cannot have a boulevard filled with high rise sky scrapers in Okpara Avenue which is our CBD? Enugu as a prime city needs the balance and I know it will come to that in due time. Talking about developing our clusters of emerging cities,it is suprising that no one spoke about the role a seaport will play in imploding the promising economy of d South East! Already,all the micro-indicators(thriving middle class,massive pool of entrepreneurs,innovators,educated populace,large markets and a very mobile population,to name but a few) are evident and waiting to be tapped. Igbo land of today is akin to the American society during the mercantile era.My point is that a seaport will be a critical catalyst to the boom we all desire and until the unity of purpose exhibited in this forum is translated into reality.......The slavation of Igboland can only come from Igboland.Nigeria is our cancer!

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
I am so loving the discussion going on here, even without pics I could go on reading the comments. ChimaAdeoye and Cjrane you both should contest for political offices already gringrin I am so loving your comments

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:39pm On Sep 16, 2014
Whenever i see the skylines of cities such as London, Hong Kong, Dubai, London or Paris, i wish Enugu or any city culd look like that. but like they say, Rome was not built in a day. We have to be realistic in our expectations and like someone has pointed out, the budget of Enugu and other states in the east are too measly to achieve something such gargantuan. Even Abuja that Nigeria's 10 years budget was plunged into, is still an average city by all standards how much more Enugu that receives peanut from the FG. Why should Enugu even be expecting to receive money from the top to survive. Is that how other cities in the world survive? i don't think so. If Enugu wants to make a mark, there are several variables that need to be looked into.

First and foremost, there has to be a long term plan and it starts from planning the city. Enugu has been planned to some reasonable extent but more can still be done. During planning, different parts of the city should be designated for a particular thing. For example, Emene should be the industtrial hub, Agbani can be the educational center etc. Now, any city that cannot survive alone is not fit to be called a city. I keep hearing people talking about why Enugu should not be commercialized. How can a city not be commercialized when commercialization is one of the factors that makes it a city. A part of Enugu can be designated as a commercial center. To build a city and maintain it, you need to have recurring income.

Secondly, i don't think Enugu can be like new York or Hong Kong even in 200 years but it can be unique and attractive. Enugu must not have the speed trains for now. The basics have to be taken care of first before anything else and the basics include good network of roads, schools, hospitals and transport system. Here in Mauritius, there are no trains let alone speed trains but they have one of the best bus systems that i have ever seen. You can live your life to the fullest even if you depend greatly on the transport system. It's superb and top notch. Enugu can replicate that such that big buses run to every nook and cranny.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
I AM LOVING THE CONTRIBUTIONS, KEEP THEM COMING grin

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
I'm proudly ENUGU boy!!!

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 9:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
Nugu

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 9:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

Europe has done a better job than the US. The US has several sprawl cities. The end result is the city of all cities are just giant ghettos and the wealth flees to the outskirts. By the time more sprawl is added, that nice house you bought 10 years ago is now considered ghetto and you can't sell it for a better one because everyone wants to buy something brand new further away from the ghetto in the city center.

Eastern cities just be like this.
1. Limit expansion for a 15 year period
2. Conserve land (natural parks, historic cites, forests, gardens, valleys etc). In fact surround cities with land reserves so that the cities stop sprawling
3. Enforce a building code within the city that says buildings can't be older than 70 years, must be a certain height, and a certain quality.

You will see people transform their own neighborhoods into modern cities over night. Tax violators and use the penalty tax to buy old or abandoned properties and turn them into something viable and modern. The ones living in bungalows that are occupying valuable land will be able to sell their bungalow for a great price because the supply of land being limited increases the value. The person that buys that land from them will by nature be wealthy due to the ability to buy the land and will demolish the unfit bungalow and replace it with a multi-story.

These multi-stories will not only house businesses, but people and serve as storage or parking spaces. You'll get a city that runs cleaner and smart and is more economically robust.

If you wake 10 businesses and stack 2 on top of each other, it requires less roads to link them, less cable and power to electrify them, less water to nourish them, and the end result is the government budget can literally drop in half in that 15 years while serving the same amount or more people. If you have 10 business, all of them with 10 buildings, you need double and amenities to facilitate them.

You can limit the height of buildings so that property prices are stable for everyone across the board and this also discourages sprawl because spread will be slow and steady.

If you stack buildings, you can fit more economic activity and people into a smaller space, economies will double, budgets will shrink, and the quality of life will skyrocket. We will then be able to consider things like light rail, water ways etc. When PH said they wanted to build a light rail i laughed. Sprawl has turned PH into a giant slum and the cost of putting light rail from one end to another is enough to build a regular rail to lagos.

I totally agree with you. If we can just map out long term plans in Nigeria and enforce strict planning and maintance measures we can create true reflections of our potential.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 9:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
Enugu @ night

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 10:07pm On Sep 16, 2014
We are proud of Chime

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 10:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
I prefer the German city model than hong kong/dubai etc model

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

I DESPISE the single city idea for the SE

1. Bigger is not always better: Just because a city is bigger doesn't make it better. Example Abuja and Lagos. A Single city for what will be 50 million people by 2020 is madness, though I understand the incentives. Think about pollution, traffic, amenities, cost of living etc.

2. Germany: Germany follows a model where there are several cities that can sustain and support themselves and are almost essentially on equal standing. All of them offer what the other offers and because of this the next step for them economically is to export to the rest of the world. This is why Germany per capita leads the world in exports, and this is the model of Igbo land. an Igbo man from Owerri has no loyalty to Enugu. This is a strength not a weakness because he will strive to develop his home even if it's a village and not abandon it to start claiming something else like we see with Yorubas and hausa. This is the same as a German.

3. We're already moving in a multi city direction: There's no reason to reverse the natural tide of development we're already taking. People aren't abandoning Onitcha for Awka; they're both moving. Same with Umuahia and Aba, Owerri and Orlu, Enugu and Nsukka etc. In times of war and for general economic productivity, this is the best model to follow because we're safer with multiple heads as opposed to one. Besides, it's already our nature.

I'm also against unchecked outward sprawl. I live in a US city that sprawls almost endlessly. It makes for 45 minutes to get to work, almost an hour with traffic. As the city expands, the older parts are abandoned and rotted. Would you want to live in an 'older' part of town when a newer shinier part is added monthly? Property prices keep plummeting for the people that already own a home and increasing for those looking to buy one so owning a home is a bad investment now. Plus you can't convince investors to buy the old properties at the center of town and rebuild them or add something new when all of the economic activity is sprawling outwards.

Sprawl is horrible We don't want that in the SE nor do we have enough land. [size=15pt]I believe that every village and city should have an urban planning blueprint[/size] because all of our communities will be urban or semi-urban centers by 2050. This plan should heed land conservation by encouraging home and business builders to build at no less that 3 stories, 4 stories in CBD.

This will allow government and investors to buy businesses in the center of town that can afford renovation, and build something more deserving of a CBD.

@bolded. That's a very very important aspect of development that Nigeria fail to employ. I have emphasised that severally, satellite towns surrounding the major cities in Nigeria are just left to develop in a disorganised way. When such places become big we start talking of demolition, with the resultant economic set back.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 10:24pm On Sep 16, 2014
Estates in Enugu

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

Yes, status does matter.
The only way to get around that is to decentralize the powers of the FG.
For example, if Akwa Ibom builds an international airport, they only need to convince major airlines to fly the route and not FG. In the case of Nigeria,the FG micro-manages everything, so they will block international access to Uyo, even if it is a viable route. No matter what is built in Uyo, investors will still troop to Abuja and Lagos!
am happy people see some of the problems governors with vision face when they are passionate about moving their state forward. We concentrated a lot of powers in the centre. I am sure a lot of governors can lure investors into building railway, power plant, world class airport, if not because these economically important infrastructures are under the federal.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
ENUGU!

Delivered from the oppressive forces of roadlessness grin

The new road created from Independence layout to link Port Harcourt express road.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 10:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
More

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 11:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

Yes, status does matter.
The only way to get around that is to decentralize the powers of the FG.
For example, if Akwa Ibom builds an international airport, they only need to convince major airlines to fly the route and not FG. In the case of Nigeria,the FG micro-manages everything, so they will block international access to Uyo, even if it is a viable route. No matter what is built in Uyo, investors will still troop to Abuja and Lagos!

Investors troop to PH and Lagos, not Abuja and Lagos. Reason is the PH is the second largest economy and Lagos is the first. I can be the capital and lower case city it doesn't matter, where the money is at is where the money is at.

The federal budget is a tiny portion of the Nigerian economy. How many businesses in Nigeria conduct a single transaction with the federal government? less that 1%. Why then does 'decentralizing' matter? We act like government is the only source of money in the country. If they build something in Uyo conducive of business, OR the economy in Uyo is large and active, business will come. What did the federal government build in Aba and Onitsha that made their economies strong and filled their boarders with businesses local and foreign?

Abuja has infrastructure, Lagos has market and PH has oil. Status is not the only means to development.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 11:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
Bishop42: Enugu @ night

Sir, are you Afam Okereke or you are just taking credit for him pictures without at least acknowledging him as the man that took the pains to take the pictures and post them on his site?

http://afamokereke..com/2013/10/the-new-coal-city-at-night-by-afam.html

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:32am On Sep 17, 2014
Ikengawo:

Investors troop to PH and Lagos, not Abuja and Lagos. Reason is the PH is the second largest economy and Lagos is the first. I can be the capital and lower case city it doesn't matter, where the money is at is where the money is at.

The federal budget is a tiny portion of the Nigerian economy. How many businesses in Nigeria conduct a single transaction with the federal government? less that 1%. Why then does 'decentralizing' matter? We act like government is the only source of money in the country. If they build something in Uyo conducive of business, OR the economy in Uyo is large and active, business will come. What did the federal government build in Aba and Onitsha that made their economies strong and filled their boarders with businesses local and foreign?

Abuja has infrastructure, Lagos has market and PH has oil. Status is not the only means to development.
ah! My dear you seem to miss something. Investors follow the government. What that means is that government's policies, commitment to providing basic amenities, including security lures investors. The idea of decentralising power is bourne out of repeated failure of the federal govt to put into good use the exclusive powers at its disposal, state government is closer to the people and appear to be doing better hence the agitation for more power to the states. A smart and honest governor can easily utilize such power to create enabling environment that will make investors want to invest in his state.
Take a look at the Aba and Onitsha you mentioned,...Time after time, many posters here have expressed disappointment with the way our governors handle Aba and Onitsha. We all know that if visionary governors should re-position those two cities, trust me, Aba and Onitsha will be mentioned at international level along side lagos. But they remain at the level they are, since there's no strong government commitment.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 17, 2014
The problem is sourcing funds to develop the city models we want, inclusive of skyscrapers, a detailed urban and rural grid, extensive public utilities such as mass transit and consumer travel.

Money.

The government on a state level has a big role to play in sourcing funds. We can issue state or municipal bonds but this is not enough and I am not even sure that the state can generate enough future cash flows to pay off its interest or principal.

Which brings us to the big elephant in the room - our abysmally low IGR. The south eastern states generate very low revenue from potentially lucrative means. We are not taxing our constituents and home grown businesses enough and MORE IMPORTANTLY, we don't have enough large corporate entities or big businesses to tax.

The skyscrapers we desperately want to line our city with have to be populated by companies and flourishing
businesses in the first place.

Big companies mean jobs, a flourishing middle class with better spending power (aka gentrification)...thus, a city plan that will be created to meet higher standards and provide for that middle class (Entertainment, sports, stadiums, shops, and other world class venues).

So why aren't the state governments taxing more out of states with arguably the highest concentration of SMEs in the country? Why aren't we adopting aggressive strategies to attract "big corp"? How about indigenes with businesses (large and small) who are based abroad? Incentives to attract them back home are important.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 3:02am On Sep 17, 2014
A city is a living organism and like any living organism it needs to have a means of livelihood to survive. Therefore its survivability depends on its ability to go out there and bring home the bacon so to speak.

Enugu really does not have to reinvent the wheel nor does it have to look like other cities to be recognized. No two cities are same just like identical twins still have character differences with each individual cultures and idiosyncrasies.

What Enugu needs to do is study the economic variables of great inland cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Phonenix. These cities do not have seaports yet they are able to generate great economies that attracts and continue attract big corporations to their land. But what these cities have in common are transportation hubs for movement of people goods and services. E.g. American does Dallas, Delta does Atlanta, Usair does Phoenix etc.
Secondly they have great agric, tourism and manufacturing industries.

Manufacturing doesnt have be be the ability to make big airlines but little everyday things that people need.

So in all for Enugu to progress beyond what it is currently , the culture of making things ...doesn't matter what it is...should be part of culture of Enugu.

Thanks

And keep the communication.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 4:28am On Sep 17, 2014
kmariko: A city is a living organism and like any living organism it needs to have a means of livelihood to survive. Therefore its survivability depends on its ability to go out there and bring home the bacon so to speak.

Enugu really does not have to reinvent the wheel nor does it have to look like other cities to be recognized. No two cities are same just like identical twins still have character differences with each individual cultures and idiosyncrasies.

What Enugu needs to do is study the economic variables of great inland cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Phonenix. These cities do not have seaports yet they are able to generate great economies that attracts and continue attract big corporations to their land. But what these cities have in common are transportation hubs for movement of people goods and services. E.g. American does Dallas, Delta does Atlanta, Usair does Phoenix etc.
Secondly they have great agric, tourism and manufacturing industries.

Manufacturing doesnt have be be the ability to make big airlines but little everyday things that people need.

So in all for Enugu to progress beyond what it is currently the culture of making things ...doesn't matter what it is...should be part of culture of Enugu.

Thanks

And keep the communication.

Great point! I think Enugu when SE is fully developed and functional, will be the corporate hub of the SE region. Where every multinational, manufacturing company, industry with plants, warehouses in Aba, Onitsha, Nnewi, banks and others will have their headquarters at. Same with outreach offices of federal government agencies...someone from SE; whether domiciled, visiting or doing business there should not have to travel to Lagos or Abuja to get something done at a federal office.

Just curious, as I understand it the new Enugu Golf and Centenary City is more residential geared...right? What I was wondering...is there any plan on the horizon for a business district where foreign, national and regional companies can locate their headquarters at...like a modern downtown? Another concern worth mentioning, you mentioned Denver, Denver came to global limelight right after it constructed what is inarguably one of the largest(not busiest) airports in the world...think it's second only to King Fahd Airport in Saudi Arabia, and largest in the U.S. It gave the city fame that it never had. What this Airport did for Denver or in general for Colorado essentially was to generate revenue for the state, create jobs, lure investors..hotels, restaurants, malls/shopping centers, breweries, ,medical centers, real estates, e.t.c. Attract people from all over the world who are not only visiting Colorado for its natural beauty; something that Enugu has also, but more importantly for flight connections... connecting flights out of Denver to other destinations around the world because they have the capacity to house as many aircraft and passengers as they want; this airport is incredibly massive! I don't know of any single airline in the world that doesn't have a primary or connecting flight out or to Denver. I shared this not that I want Enugu to build a massive airport like Denver but for them understand that a functional airport will attract people and investors.

The biggest mistake Enugu government will make is to allow the Federal Aviation to build a mediocre airport. As I have stated before, I'm disappointed with the finish work done at the local wing...way below standard for 2013 and amount appropriated for the remodeling. Spyder880 can do an excellent job judging by his estate projects. This on-going airport must, I repeat, must set itself apart from typical Nigerian mediocre airports. The irony is enormous sum of monies appropriated for these airports doesn't translate to what is built...makes no sense to me. Enugu government need to work closely with the Federal Aviation to ensure this airport is finished to international standard; nothing less or hands off the project to Chime. It doesn't need to be extravagant like Dubai, kuala lumpur aiports but something as simple and functional as most US airports. Can fellow Igbos in the house agree with me that we need to set precedent for this in Nigeria with Enugu? Enugu International Airport holds the gate way to the future of Enugu and SE; the government must seize on it now or never! Expand it for cargo capability, flight connection, aircraft hangers for airlines; the latter is something most Nigerian airports lack in quantity and many will seize on it . Airport doesn't cater to passengers alone but also for the airline industry. An airline that knows that an airport has an existing facility for its staff and aircraft, will be more keen to be based in that city. Most US airlines have presence....corporate offices and huge workforce in Atlanta and Denver. Why? Because It cuts operating and logistical costs for them since these airports already have existing accommodation for them...logistics, hangers and more.

Achieving this will attract more Igbos in diaspora who love Enugu and would like to visit more and invest. For me and as with my close friends, though we didn't grow up in Enugu, we share similar sentiments that Enugu has this special international character and flair to it that attracts people in Diaspora more to it than other metros in Nigeria...it's quiet, clean, functional, orderly, lively/things to do, people are nice;approachable, jovial, great nightlife, great road network, I can drive comfortably as the roads are well marked, road sign posts, traffic lights work like I'm in the US, and many more. Not as busy or rowdy like Abuja, Port harcourt or Lagos, especially for people who are just wanting to relax, unwind, invest and need no unnecessary disturbance.

We are getting there. Igbo Knewu!

12 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:27am On Sep 17, 2014
Bishop42: Then you have a new city called Centenary City being built in Airport Road, Abuja. The new city will gulp 16 billion dollar and will be 100% funded by private sector. What this means is that Government wont spend a kobo on this project
The model looks nice, but I'm not sure Abuja needs another stadium. Or will it be a football-specific stadium?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:39am On Sep 17, 2014
The Denver airport is a massive 54 sq miles in size shocked
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ozonna(m): 7:26am On Sep 17, 2014
It’ll be sad if soneone doesnt forward all that have been discussed here to SE governors forum or even Ohaneze ndigbo.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 7:32am On Sep 17, 2014
For already existing city like Enugu,Owerri and Akwa, may i suggest a model of faster city development called Land -Swap. This model adopted 3years ago by Abuja is helping a great in infrastruture provision.

According to Businessday online, land swap is an arrangement in which private sector players are given parcels of land in return for the provision of critical infrastructure.

the Land-Swap model, as it applies to the FCT, “means providing infrastructure in exchange for land, thus setting up the implementation thrust of transforming the FCT
by opening up the new districts through construction and completing access to the new districts”.
www.businessdayonline.com/2013/09/abuja-land-swap-investors-take-position-as-natives-endorse-initiative/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 8:21am On Sep 17, 2014
REMINDER!!!
Lagos, Rivers, Anambra
Abia, Kano, Ogun & Abuja control 90% of cash transaction in Nigeria -- Former CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/lagos-6-other-states-control-90-of-cash-transactions-in-nigeria-cbn/
South East already has a hugh market-There is money my friends. What our governors like Chime should do is to attract more big boys from Anambra and Aba with beautiful High-Rise Apartment. If he construct a fast rail line connecting Enugu, Onitsha and Aba, build 30 high-rise apartment,put it up for sale, i bet they will be sold out even before they are completed.
And Enugu continues to look beautiful and modern

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tandj: 8:25am On Sep 17, 2014

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 8:28am On Sep 17, 2014
Ozonna: It’ll be sad if soneone doesnt forward all that have been discussed here to[s]SE governors forum or even Ohaneze ndigbo[/s].
Those two groups are utterly useless! What good can come from a Gov's Forum run by an Imbecillic M0Ron as Orji? Ohanaeze is more interested in flying to Abuja every week to sell Igbos out to Jonathan!

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ozonna(m): 8:34am On Sep 17, 2014
Nnewi1stSon: Those two groups are utterly useless! What good can come from a Gov's Forum run by an Imbecillic M0Ron as Orji? Ohanaeze is more interested in flying to Abuja every week to sell Igbos out to Jonathan!

Theres no harm in trying cheesy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.