Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient (10042 Views)

Netflix Will BLOCK Proxies And Vpns – Restrict UK Customers To Their Own Region / MTN Is Rewarding Its Customers! / BlackBerry's Open Letter To Customers, Partners & Fans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Abbaj: 1:45pm On Jul 01, 2012
Striking workers of the MTN call centre in Jos on Saturday appealed to customers hit by their action to be ``a little more patient’’ as the contending issues were being resolved.

The staff members of the organisation have been at home since the first week of May.

``We want to resume work; we want to go to our beats and serve Nigeria. That we are at home is not our making,’’ the workers said in Jos through their Chairman, Mr Paul Afolabi.

``We have very crucial issues with the management of Communications Support Service Limited (CNSSL), the company handling the Jos call centre, and shall resume work as soon as they do the right thing,’’ Afolabi added.

He expressed appreciation to members of the Plateau House of Assembly for their intervention toward resolving the matter, and urged them to help to address the issues.

On the workers’ main grouse, Afolabi said that they wanted their salaries harmonised with those of their counterparts in Kano, Lagos, Kaduna and Port Harcourt.

``Our colleagues in those areas receive between N120,000 and N86,000 per month, but we receive N43,600 as salaries in Jos for the same work and same risk,’’ he explained.

He also called for MTN credit on staff lines as obtained in other towns, and disclosed that each staff was entitled to N6, 000 credit per month, a privilege enjoyed in other areas but denied his members.

Afolabi also called for public holiday allowance and night allowance as given to other centres, and explained that staff members were denied the N11, 500 entitlement for every night in the office.

``Instead of N11, 500, what we have is Nescafe and milk satchets, two cubes of sugar and N20 biscuit. This is not fair,’’ he said.

He also alleged that staff members in other centres received 50 Kg of rice and 12 litres of groundnut oil as Christmas gift, a privilege denied his colleagues whom, he said, were usually given 25 kg of rice with no groundnut oil.

Afolabi also alleged that the management was not remitting taxes deducted from their salaries to the Plateau Government, and explained that the situation came to light only recently when tax officials stormed the office.

The official also alleged that they had been forced to register into the Bighma Hospital, Jos, for their National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) services, adding that they were not even allowed to receive treatment beyond N2000.

He also alleged general victimisation, and claimed that 18 staff members were sacked for merely requesting an improvement in working conditions.

NAN reports that the Plateau House of Assembly and the Plateau chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress have intervened in the feud with the issues still yet unresolved.

The House of Assembly on Thursday received the report of the committee directed to investigate the feud, and promised prompt action toward resolving the issues.

Efforts to reach Mr Adeboh Ejiga, the Regional Technical Officer of the CNSSL in Jos, proved abortive.

However, a top CNSSL official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the issues were being resolved with officials of the workers’ union.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/28590/2012/06/30/striking_mtn_workers_urge_customers_exercise_little_patience.html
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 01, 2012
wow, seems the strike have reached here in ogun state. Error in network connection" that's what you keep seeing anytime you tried to make a call. mtn is boring!
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Ajibel(m): 12:57pm On Jul 02, 2012
And it's like the network in my area here in lagos has gone on strike, i cant send a message or make a call since saturday cry but thanks to glo cool

1 Like

Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by 9jvirgin(m): 12:58pm On Jul 02, 2012
MTN is clinically dead in the last few days, network around some sections of Lagos is a poo
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Biggysmalls919(m): 1:01pm On Jul 02, 2012
i thought they said mtn is d best connection everywhere u go. So why won‘t they have uniform payment to their staff or contract staff?

1 Like

Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by redcliff: 1:02pm On Jul 02, 2012
om thanks to the wifi in my office if not pings for no even deliver atall.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by etchel(m): 1:06pm On Jul 02, 2012
MTN is about to fall hands down with all these issues coming up frm time to time.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Emmaesty(f): 1:07pm On Jul 02, 2012
It's like the strike affected lagos cos Mtn is really bad here in ikeja. . I can't browse and check my account balance and sometimes i won't be able to call. . .
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Bawss1(m): 1:12pm On Jul 02, 2012
Reports like these are usually misleading.

Are the workers at the call center in Jos really MTN staff or third party contractors.i.e, are they directly under the payroll of MTN?
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by stagger: 1:14pm On Jul 02, 2012
Internet has been non existent for 3 days. Even credit I tried to transfer on Friday got missing; was not credited to the recipient and taken away from my phone.

I think the NCC should get involved. This is total nonsense.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by stepo707: 1:18pm On Jul 02, 2012
stagger: Internet has been non existent for 3 days. Even credit I tried to transfer on Friday got missing; was not credited to the recipient and taken away from my phone.

I think the NCC should get involved. This is total nonsense.

Relived now.I thought it was my phone.Never knew mtn ha a general issue.MTN yyou guys should fix your mess. angry
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by DammyFx: 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2012
Guess the strike as reached OYO state got to OYO yesterday and I've not been able to browse nor call out what is happening ??
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Abayomin70(m): 1:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
MTN UR BEST CONNECTION

DIS PEOPLE ALWAYS PLAY US LIKE FOOL NETWORK WONT GO AND THEY WONT EVEN PAY US BACK FOR THE BAD NETWORK THEY ARE REALY SCAMMING US BIG TIME

Y CANT THEY INCREASE THERE BANDWITCH
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Paulego(m): 1:42pm On Jul 02, 2012
I have not been able to call nor browse for about 2 days now in benin-city.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by mystikal(m): 1:45pm On Jul 02, 2012
MTN fix ur house abeg, I want make call.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by stagger: 2:07pm On Jul 02, 2012
Even the 180 call centre is now on permanent busy mode. Total BS.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 02, 2012
That salary no make sense, why cant they pay at least 200k
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Reference(m): 2:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
But they apologised over the weekend saying they lost some major fibre optics but were on top of the situation or something. Could it be they suffered serious flood damage. Anyway I've long ceased to be in their income ledger.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Kesmakveli(m): 2:21pm On Jul 02, 2012
Same shit here in Awka undecided
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by GboyegaD(m): 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2012
MTN has been in a serious mess since April. I have not been able to use my BIS service abroad and I think they are having issues with their international partners. Same thing is happening in Nigeria, I bow for them sha ooooo.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by emmykk(m): 3:15pm On Jul 02, 2012
Kesmakveli: Same shit here in Awka undecided
port harcourt mtn number error
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by WebSurfer(m): 3:37pm On Jul 02, 2012
na wa o, theres nuffing l.ike making or receiving a call with the mtn network where i am, not mentioning gprs service yet.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by cecegorz(m): 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2012
What is all this y'hello nonsense
I personally don't use their line but this is killing business.
I've got tons of PoS terminals out there that can't process transactions because of this rubbish.
They should pay people to do their job!
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Clemzy16(m): 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2012
Same thing here in benin. I've not been able to call or browse efficiently for quite some days now. The network here is very poor.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by sazycul: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
I think this is not fare at all, they should know that other networks like etisalat is overtaking them here in port harcourt
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by dadde(m): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2012
what you all witnessing at MTN today is just a sample of how most Nigerian employees are treated like Slaves. its even worse in other companies.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by 3rdparty: 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2012
MTN
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by sparkwil(m): 5:14pm On Jul 02, 2012
pls folks stop overheating the polity. Ive travelled frm benin to ibadan and didnt experience any kind of network failure on my mtn network. stop being stereotyped coz of d thread. mtn remains d best.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by curtain: 6:09pm On Jul 02, 2012
Communication is the most lucrative business in nigeria second 2 crude oil, inspite of the money these comm. Companies rake frm nigeria, they still cant employ permanent staffs of nigerian origin. i learnt dat there ar no contract staffs in ghana and southafrica bt 80percent of mtn staffs in nig. ar contract staffs. Yet dey ar given peanuts. NLC abdulwaheed shud hide his face in shame.
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Neddyogu(m): 7:08pm On Jul 02, 2012
Empty N!
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Joe50(m): 7:29pm On Jul 02, 2012
three days now no browsing for zaria...
Re: Striking MTN Workers Urge Customers To Be Patient by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 02, 2012
Jeez! I nearly reloaded my BB on sunday when my bis expired and I recharged for a new one and it wasn't for over 10 hrs, even my android refused to browse I felt so lost without these 2 phones cause I couldn't access the internet.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opsson Genesis X Smartphone Specification / Official 9mobile Special Data ₦200/1GB And ₦1000/5GB / MTN Gives Free BBM Access To Android and Iphone Users.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.