Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Digging Hole Through Earth - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Digging Hole Through Earth (499 Views)

No Graduate Of Medical Radiography Is Unemployed, Anywhere On Earth! / Two Boys, Aged Six And Seven, Found Baby’s Body While Digging In The Sand At Bus / The Worst Primary School On Earth Is In Ogun - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Digging Hole Through Earth by sailor1234: 3:41pm On Jul 02, 2012
I remember the first time I knew that the earth was round, was thought in Geography class back then, the first question that ran through my mind was ;where would i end up if I started digging straight down?. I even remember asking my Geography teacher this question, he simply told me it is not possible sad, Yes I knew it was not possible scientifically but just for the fun of it,I wanted to know, I was just curious to know.

Have you ever wondered where you would end up if you started digging straight down?
Another interesting question, let’s assume, you had a drill capable of plowing below where you are standing right now and grinding its way straight through the middle of the planet to the other side and you jumped inside this hole? Would you come out of at the other side? Remember gravity will always pull you toward the center of the Earth .What do you think would happen?
Re: Digging Hole Through Earth by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2012
No technology exists, for now, capable of drilling all the way through the earth. High temperatures and other conditions would sabotage drilling apparatus with increasing depth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole

(1) (Reply)

Doubt OAU, Ile-ife's Having The Most Beautiful Campus? Post Yours. / Use Of Digital Microscopes In Education / New Aptitude Test DVD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.