Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import (5963 Views)

Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market / Business Ideas For Cement Biz / Good Biz Ideas For Cement Biz? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by mukina2: 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2012
Indications emerged at the weekend that the federal government had stopped the issuance of license for the importation of cement in the last six months.

The chairman of Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria Joseph Makoju, who disclosed this at the 40th Annual General Meeting of the association, said the policy was aimed at encouraging local production of cement which has gone beyond the reach of Nigerians.

He said the policy has paid off as the country is currently producing 19 metric tonnes of cement per year.

He said if the policy is sustained and with the enabling environment, Nigeria will be one of the biggest exporters of the product in the world which will not only earn the country revenue but also bring down the price of cement in the country.

Makoju, who was the former Managing Director of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), also spoke on the power situation in the country saying that Nigeria should build more power stations in order to save it from perennial energy crisis.

Source
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by clemmonce(m): 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2012
it seems nobody is viewin dis topic. everybody don tire 4 naija
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by uberuuche09: 4:43pm On Jul 02, 2012
I need half trailer of cement in anambra east which agent wil supply me wit ibeto/bua text me on 07030470927
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 02, 2012
Dangote, which art are thou trying to do again.... You dont want the poor masses to build houses, I know your brothers in the North like Mud houses >smiley

3 Likes

Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2012
Dangote's ruined the market for others.
On another note, What is the "God" Particle? Scientists claim to have found it: https://www.nairaland.com/979963/scientists-find-god-particle
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Rhino5dm: 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2012
Dangote 1: Nigerians 0

This is fresh air!!!
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by manny4life(m): 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2012
When I said few weeks ago about Dangote's double expansion and I believe he's about to control the market, and market prices are about to double, many of them called be bad belle. I highlighted this as one amongst several others as one of the moves, well, like Rhino said, enjoy the fresh air. grin grin grin
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by JAkpayen(m): 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2012
Indications emerged at the weekend that the federal government had stopped the issuance of license for the importation of cement in the last six months.

The chairman of Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria Joseph Makoju, who disclosed this at the 40th Annual General Meeting of the association, said the policy was aimed at encouraging local production of cement which has gone beyond the reach of Nigerians.

He said the policy has paid off as the country is currently producing 19 metric tonnes of cement per year.

He said if the policy is sustained and with the enabling environment, Nigeria will be one of the biggest exporters of the product in the world which will not only earn the country revenue but also bring down the price of cement in the country.

Makoju, who was the former Managing Director of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), also spoke on the power situation in the country saying that Nigeria should build more power stations in order to save it from perennial energy crisis.

mukina2, shey na 19 metric tonnes shocked shocked or 1.9million metric tonnes? If na 19 metric tonnes then the country is currently producing 380 bags of cement per year. Poor journalism for naija!! lmao!

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 02, 2012
Very good step in the right direction.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Reference(m): 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2012
Good move. More makers. Less traders. Without the previous bans we will not have come anything near 19 million tons.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Reference(m): 5:14pm On Jul 02, 2012
Same with fuels. Why produce when you can buy. Who wants to take care of a damn cow.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by fm7070: 5:14pm On Jul 02, 2012
Government is revoking other company's licence so Dangote can make more money.
Why can't they give licence to other manufacturers.
Cost of the commodity is still very high because of monopoly
GEJ, is your head still upright??
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by honeric01(m): 5:21pm On Jul 02, 2012
fm7070:

lol
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Tsmooth1(m): 5:55pm On Jul 02, 2012
This is the brain work of Dangote, by next year now he would be no 10 in the world, but that one no boda me at all......
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by maigaskiya1: 6:01pm On Jul 02, 2012
clemmonce: it seems nobody is viewin dis topic. everybody don tire 4 naija
if na u nko
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by AK481(m): 6:28pm On Jul 02, 2012
Good move,let those that import cement start building factories and employing nigerians or go out of biz totally.2 fingers to ur soul jonathan goodluck ebelemi.

Bt gej shouldn't deny others manufacturing licence,na that 1 go vex me oo.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by lookmangiw(m): 6:51pm On Jul 02, 2012
God will surely judge this people. With way things are now, how many local manufacturers do we have in that sector except dangote and some few others.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by tunapawizzy: 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2012
I am so anti- GEJ but This seems to me like a good move...or am I missing something. Embrace made in nigeria goods. Strengthen local producers so they can expand operations n generate more employment for our people. More tax income for government too. A lot of indirect jobs provided..@ least if local cement factory expand its multiplier effect on d economy is huge.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by DaLover(m): 8:33pm On Jul 02, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Dangote 1: Nigerians 0

This is fresh air!!!
Have you or any one you know being prevented from building your own cement factory?
Please give us the full details ....otherwise
[size=28pt]STFU[/size]
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by DaLover(m): 8:36pm On Jul 02, 2012
Reference: Same with fuels. Why produce when you can buy. Who wants to take care of a damn cow.
In-fact we should be targeting complete refining of all petroleum products no more exporting raw products...haba we need to try and use our intelligence...

GEJ you too much sha
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by DaLover(m): 8:39pm On Jul 02, 2012
fm7070: Government is revoking other company's licence so Dangote can make more money.
Why can't they give licence to other manufacturers.
Cost of the commodity is still very high because of monopoly

Have you heard of anyone who was denied license to manufacture
Ok, if you have what exactly were the circumstances surrounding this denial?

If Not

Is your own head upright?

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Chyz2: 9:19pm On Jul 02, 2012
Hands down, Goodluck Jonathan has to be the dumbest president to ever walk the planet earth. The FG did not buy-out Dangote Cement so he is the one receiving the revenue and now has full control of the market. This means, like one of the posters said, Dangote 1: Nigeria 0

Retardeen has proven his cluelessness again.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by DaLover(m): 10:25pm On Jul 02, 2012
Chyz*:
Hands down, Goodluck Jonathan has to be the dumbest president to ever walk the planet earth. The FG did not buy-out Dangote Cement so he is the one receiving the revenue and now has full control of the market. This means, like one of the posters said, Dangote 1: Nigeria 0

Retardeen has proven his cluelessness again.

Just imagine the calibre of dumb azz negros that have access to the internet
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by AK481(m): 11:07pm On Jul 02, 2012
tunapawizzy: I am so anti- GEJ but This seems to me like a good move...or am I missing something. Embrace made in nigeria goods. Strengthen local producers so they can expand operations n generate more employment for our people. More tax income for government too. A lot of indirect jobs provided..@ least if local cement factory expand its multiplier effect on d economy is huge.

Yea.but first things first,wey the light?
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by stpat1(m): 1:40am On Jul 03, 2012
I wont be surprised if this move further shots up the price of cement as the few producers will catch on the opportunity to strangle the masses knowing they have the power in their palms.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Rhino5dm: 6:37am On Jul 03, 2012
Fool.

DaLover:
Have you or any one you know being prevented from building your own cement factory?
Please give us the full details ....otherwise
[size=28pt]STFU[/size]
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by AK481(m): 6:58am On Jul 03, 2012
tunapawizzy: I am so anti- GEJ but This seems to me like a good move...or am I missing something. Embrace made in nigeria goods. Strengthen local producers so they can expand operations n generate more employment for our people. More tax income for government too. A lot of indirect jobs provided..@ least if local cement factory expand its multiplier effect on d economy is huge.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by sadi78: 8:08am On Jul 03, 2012
Dangote, by next year now he would be no 10 in the world, but that one no boda me at all...... [/quote] and you are jealous?? Abi?
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by supereagle(m): 8:33am On Jul 03, 2012
Up Dangote[size=28pt]Up Dangote[/size]Up Dangote
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by Rhino5dm: 9:20am On Jul 03, 2012
Na today? The cabals are winning. . . .

Dangote Receives Cement Monopoly THE GUARDIAN 4/24/03

Dangote gets concessions for cement production From Madu Onuorah, Abuja
THE Federal Government yesterday rolled out several incentives to an indigenous conglomerate, the Dangote Group, in its efforts to encourage Nigerians to invest locally. The business concession is to enable the company actualise an $850 million project involving the establishment of cement production plants in three locations in Nigeria.

[b] Minister of Transport, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, announced after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja, yesterday that the incentives included the granting of pioneer status to the company in the area of cement production for seven years. This means that within the period, no new cement plant will be established in the country. Other incentives include the granting of 2.5 per cent duty on all plants, machinery and quarry equipment, exemption from payment of the Value Added Tax (VAT) on all plant, machinery and quarry equipment and the payment of only five per cent duty on construction materials not available within the country.

In its request to the council for establishment of the plants in Ogun, Kogi and Cross River states, the Dangote Group requested from the Federal Government the following investment palliatives; pioneer status for 10 years; exemption of payment of duties on all plant, machinery and quarry equipment; exemption of payment of VAT on all plant, machinery and quarry equipment; exemption of payment of duties on construction materials not locally available; massive road construction at sites of the plant by the Federal Government, and; permission to import five million metric tonnes of bulk cement at a maximum rate of five per cent duties.[/b]

The three plants located in Ibesha, Obagana and Odukpani, are expected to produce 4.3 million metric tonnes of cement yearly by the year 2005. Maduekwe explained, "we are doing this to serve notice that this government is willing to support companies which are willing to vote (for the country) with their cheque books.

They need to put their money in their country. This is a government that is encouraging the business class. We are ready to do it forother companies as we did to Dangote". Other decisions of the council include the approval of a new energy policy for Nigeria and approval of a contract for provision of 2,000 telephone lines and 240 digital telephones to Gboko, Benue State. The contract is worth N130.6 million.
Re: FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import by jpphilips(m): 8:47am On Jul 04, 2012

which is the best option

A

throw in a ban for imported cement because your campaign sponsor is controlling the market who already has an unbeatable structure on ground. by saying unbeatable it means that unless you are competing as the 5th richest man in the world, you cannot rival dangote's grasp on the market,and he who controls the market fixes the price.
the above spells nothing but "MONOPOLY" that will translate to high price.

OR

B

set up a competent price regulatory agency who fixes price apar with cost of production, then plots a graph of demand versus local production before the ban, that way, the price remains fair and demand is checked. what about if only Govt has the right to import to check the excesses of the manufacturers?

obviously hiou yang was right after all, the reasons Nigerians have not revolted is because majority don't even know where their problem is coming from.

obviously, you don't know why you buy a 14kg propane (cooking gas) for 5k when your country flares off 2.5billion dollars worth annually, poor Nigerians!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Invest 60-80k In Popcorn Production.make A Profit Of #75k Monthly / SME Toolkit: Sample Business Plans And Articles on Business / Laundry Business: A Way To Take Away Poverty Line.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.