Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) (2452 Views)

The Sea Turtle A Nairalander Saved At Chevron Roundabout / Horned Sea Monster Washed Ashore In Spain / Amazing Giant Snake Killed In Egypt Red Sea. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) by JimOvia: 11:07am On Jul 03, 2012
Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea

Researchers have been showing off a 355 ft vertical ship in the Pacific Ocean, as it marks its 50th birthday.

FLIP, or Floating Instrument Platform, is owned by the US Navy, and flips from horizontal to a vertical position by pumping 700 tonnes of seawater into the 'handle' end.

Air is then pumped into the opposite end, causing it to rise up out of the sea.

Everything on board is designed to flip along with the ship, including beds, ketchup and other condiments, and even the bathroom sinks.

The design allows researchers to take acoustic measurements, and study meteorology, physical oceanography and air-sea interactions.

Re: Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) by nobertify(m): 12:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
Amazing.
Re: Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) by hakunamatata1: 9:08am On Aug 11, 2012
Really?....... im stunned!
why doesnt educating stories like this make front page?
MODS, wake up!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) by piogau88: 8:56am On Aug 14, 2012
Re: Vertical ship marks 50 years at sea(and I'm just knowing such existed) by KLand(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2014
Wow

(1) (Reply)

Top 7 Most Technologically Advanced Countries In Africa / Things You Need To Know About Wismec Reuleaux RX 200 / 12 Scientific Facts That Will Amaze You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.