Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

A Career As A Lecturer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Career As A Lecturer (10878 Views)

Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / Career As A Writer - Little Things That Go A Long Way In Selling Your Book / How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Career As A Lecturer by Siloko26(m): 1:24am On Jul 04, 2012
Please i need ur candid advice and info on been a lecturer in nigeria. Am considering of taking up a career in teaching, as a lecturer in a federal uni. Bt there is this issue of lecturers earn peanut, so my questions are thus
1. How much is an asistant or junior lectures paid?
2. Apart from their normal salaries, are there any other benefits like allowance for house, medical allowance etc

please ur contribution wud b highly appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Career As A Lecturer by twaintoy(f): 8:06am On Jul 04, 2012
I am an assistant lecturer in a state polythecnic and we are being paid well + benefits. My friend, money is not everything, build ur future now, remember many pple are out there looking for jobs. Grab the lecturing job you can get now, it's gonna be a stepping stone for u, moreover, yours is federal university and i learnt federal govt pays well. Wish you well. God bless you

1 Like

Re: A Career As A Lecturer by tanimola22: 10:02am On Jul 04, 2012
Siloko26: Please i need ur candid advice and info on been a lecturer in nigeria. Am considering of taking up a career in teaching, as a lecturer in a federal uni. Bt there is this issue of lecturers earn peanut, so my questions are thus
1. How much is an asistant or junior lectures paid?
2. Apart from their normal salaries, are there any other benefits like allowance for house, medical allowance etc

please ur contribution wud b highly appreciated. Thanks

An assistant lecturer with a PhD earns averagely well. A graduate assistant may earn peanuts.

To get all the benefits you listed, it is advisable that you vigorously pursue and earn a PhD. This way, you have a choice of lecturing anywhere in Nigeria. You will also get any benefits that you are entitled to, without any stories.

I have a lecturer friend who lives in a 2 bedroom flat in Lagos, has two kids and rides a fine jeep. Lecturing is not that bad, especially if your aim is to lead a comfortable life..

T22
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by Siloko26(m): 12:46pm On Jul 04, 2012
tanimola22:

An assistant lecturer with a PhD earns averagely well. A graduate assistant may earn peanuts.

To get all the benefits you listed, it is advisable that you vigorously pursue and earn a PhD. This way, you have a choice of lecturing anywhere in Nigeria. You will also get any benefits that you are entitled to, without any stories.

I have a lecturer friend who lives in a 2 bedroom flat in Lagos, has two kids and rides a fine jeep. Lecturing is not that bad, especially if your aim is to lead a comfortable life..

T22
Ur advice is well taken sir, u are one the best thing dat has happened to NL for words of advice to us all in this career session is most invalueable. Kudos sir
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by Siloko26(m): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2012
twaintoy: I am an assistant lecturer in a state polythecnic and we are being paid well + benefits. My friend, money is not everything, build ur future now, remember many pple are out there looking for jobs. Grab the lecturing job you can get now, it's gonna be a stepping stone for u, moreover, yours is federal university and i learnt federal govt pays well. Wish you well. God bless you
thanks vry much for ur advice bt what kind of benefits can assitant lecturer possibly get? And how much are u paid in dat poly? Bt 4rm ur writings i guess money shouldn't be my motivation bt d passion to impart shud b my priority. Thanks a bunch
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by Kehindedl: 5:38am On Jul 05, 2012
I am a graduate assistant in a federal uni in Nigeria, after every deduction my take home at the end of the month is 99,340 naira. Not bad for a start I gues.

1 Like

Re: A Career As A Lecturer by Siloko26(m): 6:24am On Jul 05, 2012
Kehindedl: I am a graduate assistant in a federal uni in Nigeria, after every deduction my take home at the end of the month is 99,340 naira. Not bad for a start I gues.
that is not bad @tall, its jst fine by me. Thanks for sharing
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by mrmofasa(m): 9:06am On Jul 06, 2012
Kehindedl: I am a graduate assistant in a federal uni in Nigeria, after every deduction my take home at the end of the month is 99,340 naira. Not bad for a start I gues.
Lecturing aint a bad idea at all. I got my B.Sc in 2010 and just registered for my M.Sc at UI and I plan to go all the way to PhD. However, my issues is with the school fees. It's kinda awkward to still depend on my parents for money. So i'll like to know if there are any scholarships or funds to assisst would-be lecturers like me?
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by tanimola22: 9:12am On Jul 06, 2012
mrmofasa:
Lecturing aint a bad idea at all. I got my B.Sc in 2010 and just registered for my M.Sc at UI and I plan to go all the way to PhD. However, my issues is with the school fees. It's kinda awkward to still depend on my parents for money. So i'll like to know if there are any scholarships or funds to assisst would-be lecturers like me?

Hi,

Have you spoken to your current graduate school profs?

Do so asap!

T22
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by mrmofasa(m): 11:31am On Jul 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

Have you spoken to your current graduate school profs?

Do so asap!

T22
I've spoken to some of them and yes, they all encouraged me to go ahead to get my Ph.D. I guess i'll talk about the fees issue sometime later.
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by afroxyz: 9:18am On Jul 10, 2012
I currently work in oil and gas industry, but my talents and passion are geared towards research, lecturing and writing. I hv applied for msc. Money shld not be a motivating factor. If it was, i wld have shelved my dream. Rather, the desire to impact change should propel you. Besides who said lecturers don't make money? Itz because the bulk of our lecturers depend on salaries, handouts and texts. If you are actively involved in research, you wld make money

3 Likes

Re: A Career As A Lecturer by PilotOz(m): 8:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
Kehindedl:
I am a graduate assistant in a federal uni in Nigeria, after every deduction my take home at the end of the month is 99,340 naira. Not bad for a start I gues.
pls, did u finish with a first class?? im currently aiming to be a lecturer but im confused on the course i have to major in at Bsc level that will improve my chances... should i do an education course or a pure science course,.. eg Bsc (ed) or just Bsc. (im currently an NCE) student
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by mickey45: 1:08pm On Jul 05, 2015
afroxyz:
I currently work in oil and gas industry, but my talents and passion are geared towards research, lecturing and writing. I hv applied for msc. Money shld not be a motivating factor. If it was, i wld have shelved my dream. Rather, the desire to impact change should propel you. Besides who said lecturers don't make money? Itz because the bulk of our lecturers depend on salaries, handouts and texts. If you are actively involved in research, you wld make money

Do you mind shedding more light on this pls
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by Adebaba1(m): 6:45pm On Jul 05, 2015
twaintoy:
I am an assistant lecturer in a state polythecnic and we are being paid well + benefits. My friend, money is not everything, build ur future now, remember many pple are out there looking for jobs. Grab the lecturing job you can get now, it's gonna be a stepping stone for u, moreover, yours is federal university and i learnt federal govt pays well. Wish you well. God bless you
yea no wonder you deleted from ur bbm
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by ignis: 2:16pm On Nov 07, 2020
Please are lectures still paid peanuts. I am considering becoming a lecturer in a Federal university in the north.
Re: A Career As A Lecturer by Love800(m): 5:11pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hello
Goodevening.
Hope u will see dis post.
I have a question for u pls.

My question is, the research u talking about, how is it done?
And how will it bring forth money?
afroxyz:

(1) (Reply)

Six Things You Should Not Do As A Tech Newbie. / Whats The Major Challenge You Are Facing At Your Workplace? / Tiler Or Barbing,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.