Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,017 members, 7,810,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Anelka In Spat With Shanghai Shenhua Fan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anelka In Spat With Shanghai Shenhua Fan (511 Views)

Okagbare Wins Gold In Shanghai / Didier Drogha A Free Agent After Shanghai Shenhua Release / Drogba Returns To Chelsea Amid Shanghai Shenhua Crisis !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Anelka In Spat With Shanghai Shenhua Fan by ajirapsy(m): 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2012
Anelka in spat with Shanghai Shenhua fan

The Frenchman has been accused of showing a lack of respect to supporters after failing to bow to them following a defeat which leaves his side just a point off the bottom

By Sean Kilgallon

4 Jul 2012 12:50:00

Shanghai Shenhua striker Nicolas Anelka has been accused of disrespect by an angry fan following his side's recent 1-0 loss away to bottom-of-the-league Qingdao Jonoon.

Anelka, who captains the Shanghai side, refused to take part in the traditional bowing to supporters at the end of the game, as is customary in China.

And, after the defeat left Shenhua just one point off the foot of the Super League table, Anelka's decision was met with anger.

One fan broke into the hotel lobby where the players were based, before shouting at the striker: “Why don’t you bow with the rest of the team?”

The fan was taken away by security, but made another appearance later on as the players made their way onto the bus.

Anelka is reported to have told the supporter: “If you want to have a talk. Stand here now.”

The fan, who is believed to have made a 700-mile round trip in order to see the match, then further criticised Anelka, saying: “I took time off work and paid for flight tickets and a hotel to come to support you all, but you did what?”

The former Chelsea man replied: “Why me? Why don’t you find a Chinese player?"

Before the man responded: “Because you are the captain and you should be responsible for this [bowing to the fans] - if you don’t respect us, we don’t respect you.”

The striker then ended the brief conversation, saying: “I don’t care.”

The Frenchman joined the mega-rich Chinese club in January after falling out of favour under former Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas but has helped his side win just three of 15 league games so far.

Shenhua supporter Lu Xiaoming, 24, told the Mirror: “I didn’t travel to the game but I heard about what happened - what can I say? I just hope he leaves."

However, 27-year-old fan Li Gun was more supportive of the forward, adding: “He’s done his best so far, his personality is not the type to bow to fans, so I still support him.

"The problem in Shenhua is that some local players are just not good enough to play alongside him.”

Anelka's former Chelsea team-mate Didier Drogba recently joined Shenhua and is set to make his debut in the coming weeks.

(1) (Reply)

Get Latest Football Update / Who Owns The Medal, Athletes Or Countries Represent. / Chinese Fans Bowled Over By U.S. Professional Wrestling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.