Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,885 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women (9422 Views)

How To Reduce Your Risk Of Miscarriage And General Misconception / Major Causes Of Sleepless Night. / What Are The Possible Solutions To Watery sperm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by ogogo24(m): 7:54pm On Dec 01, 2007
Hello All

My wife just suffered a terrible miscarriage. We are a young couple and it was our first conception.

It was a very terrible thing for us and we want to avoid future occurences, God willing.

Doctors in the house, or anybody with useful tips,please HELP!

Thanks.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by naijaking1: 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2007
Miscarriage or abortions are caused by a broad class of factors, namely:

Genetic
Anatomic
Physiological
Microbiological

With the ltd information you provided, it's impossible to classify your case under one of these headings. Your personal OB/Gyne would be able to put your condition under one of these so that it could be treated or prevented in the future.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by QUESHIQUE(f): 3:10am On Feb 28, 2008
There are many factors that can be contributed to miscarriage. First females who wears

high heel shoes regularly non-stop will to a greater extent suffers from miscarriage.

Wearing high heel shoes non-stop will gradually tilt the womb abnormally backward or

retrovert the womb. The abnormality of the womb in most time will not accommodate the

unborn foetus hence a miscarriage tahes place. Another abnormality problem is when the

wall of the cervix becomes weak due to retrovertion and during gestation it should be

tighten to hold the baby but it's doing the opposite this can result in miscarriage.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by TOYOSI20(f): 7:19am On Feb 28, 2008
ogogo24:

Hello All

My wife just suffered a terrible miscarriage. We are a young couple and it was our first conception.

It was a very terrible thing for us and we want to avoid future occurences, God willing.

Thanks.

These are some of the most common causes of miscarrages.

* Hormones

* Chromosome Defects

* Physical Problem with the Uterus or Cervix

* Immune Disorders

* Premature Rupture of Membranes and Early Labor

* Blighted Ovum, Ectopic Pregnancy, Molar Pregnancy, and Stillbirth
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by kathyekiti: 5:49am On Feb 29, 2008
@ogogo24
Sorry for your loss. I am an ob/gyn. Feel free to email me and we can discuss the particulars of the case.
@que'shique
Absolutely False. There is no correlation between high heeled shoes and miscarriages
@toyosi20
Blighted ovum is the fertilization of an empty egg.
Ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that develops outside the uterus
molar pregnancy is an abnormal gestation
stillbirth is the death of a fetus 20wks or greater in utero.

These are not causes of miscarriage but descriptions of conditions that might cause bleeding during pregnancy

That being said, I absolutely agree with the rest of your list
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by TOYOSI20(f): 7:10am On Feb 29, 2008
@kathyekiti

Both my parents are ob/gyns, and eventually I intend to follow in their foot steps, by the special grace of God.

I will start off by defining what a miscarriage is.

A miscarriage can be defined as the loss of a baby during pregnancy at any stage from the date of a missed period until the 24th week of pregnancy.
A molar pregnancy, also called gestational trophoblastic disease, is an abnormality of the placenta caused by a problem at fertilization. In a molar pregnancy, the early placenta develops into a fast-growing mass of cysts (hydatidiform mole) in the uterus. Molar pregnancy is a type of miscarriage complicated by a noncancerous (benign) tumor.

There are two types of molar pregnancies:

With a complete mole, there is only abnormal placental tissue and no embryo.
With a partial mole, there is abnormal placental tissue and development of at least some embryonic tissue.
Molar pregnancy is uncommon, occurring in about one out of every 1,000 pregnancies in the United States. You are at increased risk of a molar pregnancy if you're older than age 40. The incidence is somewhat higher in people of East Asian descent.

Signs and symptoms of a molar pregnancy include:

Vaginal bleeding
Severe nausea and vomiting
Abdominal or pelvic cramps

Which are synonymous with normal pregnancy.

Ectopic Pregnancy.
Up to 1 pregnancy in 50 is ectopic, which means “out of place.” In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg implants outside of the uterus, usually in the fallopian tube, and begins to grow. Rarely, an ectopic pregnancy implants in the woman’s abdomen, on the outside of the uterus, on an ovary or in the cervix.

Some women with an ectopic pregnancy start out with typical early-pregnancy symptoms, such as nausea and breast tenderness. Others have no early symptoms and may not realize they are pregnant. However, about one week after a missed menstrual period, a woman may experience slight, irregular vaginal bleeding that often is brownish in color. The bleeding may be followed by pain in the lower abdomen, often felt mainly on one side. A woman with these symptoms should contact her health care provider promptly or go to a hospital emergency room. Without treatment, these symptoms may be followed in several days or weeks by severe pelvic pain, shoulder pain (due to blood from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy pressing on the diaphragm), faintness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting.
A misscamiscarriage place eventually

And as for a blighted ovum which is the most common type of miscarriage. It happens when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus but the resulting embryo either stops developing very early or doesn't form at all. Nowadays, the term "blighted ovum" is considered out of date. Instead, most medical professionals use the term "early pregnancy failure" to describe this situation.

With an early pregnancy failure, you'll get a positive result on a pregnancy test, because the placenta begins to develop anyway and starts to secrete human choriochronictrophin (hCG), the hormone that these tests look for.

At first you might notice some reddish-brown staining, or have no spotting at all. Later you might have cramps or bleeding as your hormone levels recede. If you're having cramps or bleeding, or your uterus isn't growing as it should, or if your healthcare practitioner can't hear the baby's heartbeat with a Doppler by 12 weeks or so, you'll have an ultrasound to check on your baby. If it's a case of early pregnancy failure, the ultrasound will show an empty gestational sac.

You're likely to miscarry — that is, to expel the gestational sac and accumulated tissue by the end of your first trimester, though it may happen earlier than that. The miscarriage process can take weeks, though, and once you find out you aren't carrying a baby, you may find it's too emotionally wrenching or physically uncomfortable.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by ifyalways(f): 11:18am On Feb 29, 2008
naijaking1:

Miscarriage or abortions are caused by a broad class of factors, namely:

Genetic
Anatomic
Physiological
Microbiological

With the ltd information you provided, it's impossible to classify your case under one of these headings. Your personal OB/Gyne would be able to put your condition under one of these so that it could be treated or prevented in the future.

Good luck
. . .very well said.
@poster,there is little NL can do for you now.take your wife to a doctor to ascertain the cause and to avoid any future recurrence.goodluck
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by kathyekiti: 1:04am On Mar 01, 2008
@ toyosi20
While it is wonderful that both your parents are physicians and you have unlimited access to Droegemuller and Williams, all this does not help the poster. While your parents and I are physicians, you have an interest that by God's grace you will be able to see to fruition. However, you have one common drawback among premed students. You forget to truly see the patient. How are you helping the poster with your desertation on molar pregnancies? Would you like him to start worrying about whether his wife has one? Was there any thing in the history given that made you think of this? If you had taken the time to read my entire post and not immediately taken umbrage at the clarifications I made for the well being of the poster, you would see that I am an OB/GYN just like your parents.
P.s. Ectopics don't "miscarriage." They rupture
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by TOYOSI20(f): 1:51am On Mar 01, 2008
kathyekiti:

@ toyosi20
While it is wonderful that both your parents are physicians and you have unlimited access to Droegemuller and Williams, all this does not help the poster. While your parents and I are physicians, you have an interest that by God's grace you will be able to see to fruition. However, you have one common drawback among premed students. You forget to truly see the patient. How are you helping the poster with your desertation on molar pregnancies? Would you like him to start worrying about whether his wife has one? Was there any thing in the history given that made you think of this? If you had taken the time to read my entire post and[b] not immediately taken umbrage at the clarifications I made for the well being of the poster, you would see that I am an OB/GYN just like your parents. [/b] P.s. Ectopics don't "miscarriage." They rupture

I must first extend my heart felt sympathy to the poster.

With all "Due Respect", one of the first things I noticed in your reply was your profession, that is why I referred to the fact that My parents were both Ob/Gyns, I am very fortunate and I give Glory to God every day, for the privilege to observe and learn from them.

Having said that I am not a Pre Med student, I've successful completed my Bsc, and i'm working on my Masters currently, I'll be done this spring, and then In the fall will be of to Med school,

As for u stating that I "unbarged" at your post I see no reason for that i don't know u from adam so there would certainly be no cause for that!!!!!!!!!

He need not worry about what kind of pregnancy his wife had, whether or not it was "molar or ectopic, or whatever. It is for the ob/gyn to find out, and diagnose, evaluate and then carry on with the implementation process.

When an ectopic pregnancy rupture, is the fetus still alive, No, it becomes a miscarriage, just like embryos that do not properly adhere to the wall of the uterus, leading to miscarriages as well.

And in conclusion, the patient is always first, that is the main reason why a physician is needed in the first place, there is no cause for "gra-gra" at all, we are in charge of people's lives, and that definitely is my top priority.

ogogo24:

Hello All

It was a very terrible thing for us and we want to avoid future occurrences, God willing.

Thanks.

What history are u referring to?
there is no history of any genetic or hereditary disease,
we weren't told whether or not she was obesessed, or stressed out, or even if she was on any kind of medication at the time of the loss.

Having just one miscarriage, does not mean u are likely to have another on infact your chances of having another one are equal to a couple who has never had any.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by kathyekiti: 2:20am On Mar 01, 2008
@toyosi20
Exactly!! There was no history to warrant a discussion on ectopics or molar pregnancies.
I also never said anything about unbarged. I said umbrage.
To say that he need not worry about the type of pregnancy his wife had is to discount the main reason he is here. He wants reassurance, not a list of possible conditions that his wife may or may not have.
I must say that I like the first sentence in this particular reply. You will see that when you become a physician, presentation is everything. A patient's response to information is greatly affected by the presentation. In any other situation, I would have ignored your post and moved on but the anguish of the poster appealed to me and I wanted to reassure him.
As for gra-gra, I have nothing to prove. I am in charge of patients' lives and one day you will too. I think that your lengthy post was an attempt to show that you had knowledge on the topic. That was not the point of my reply. I hope you remember this exchange on the long days and nights to come.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by naijaking1: 3:46am On Mar 01, 2008
@Kathyekiti

After many futile attempts at diplomatically managing uninformed and uneducated M&Ms in this forum, I came to the direct conclusion that I will never debate medicine with anybody who does not have a formal medical education.

You can save your breath advice for people who truely need them.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by kathyekiti: 6:05am On Mar 01, 2008
@naijaking
lol, thanks for the advice. As I said before, my only reason for continuing this discussion was to reassure the original poster. I have nothing to prove.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by smurf(f): 9:09pm On Mar 02, 2008
I see no problem with what Toyosi said, i am currently doing my residency, and I find it intresting that my collages and I have this zeal to acquire knowledge and infact we can be described as sponges that readilly and willingly soak up knowledge,

On the contrary it is some of the veteran Ob/gyns, that feel act as though the last thing on their minds are the patients.

@Toyosi,

Go for it, beyond the sky is the limit for u.

Good Luck.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by nwauwa(m): 9:33pm On Mar 02, 2008
grin
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by TOYOSI20(f): 9:34pm On Mar 02, 2008
@kathyekiti

There isn't such a word as "unbarged", so it was clearly a typo, I was referring  

to the fact that I had no reason whatsoever to be hostile towards ur response,

since "there wasn't any in ur initial post" or was there? I read and understood

it clearly before I responded.

As far as remembering this "exchange on the long days and nights ahead of me". . . . . . .

Hummmmmm, I don't think so,

U see my days and nights will be properly spent and accounted for acquire useful knowlege

and information, tat will, take me places academically, and not on information, or topics already at my finger tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

quote author=smurf link=topic=98212.msg2015293#msg2015293 date=1204488569]
I see no problem with what Toyosi said, i am currently doing my residency, and I find it intresting that my collages and I have this zeal to acquire knowledge and infact we can be described as sponges that readilly and willingly soak up knowledge,

On the contrary it is some of the veteran Ob/gyns, that feel act as though the last thing on their minds are the patients.

@Toyosi,

Go for it, beyond the sky is the limit for u.

Good Luck.
[quote][/quote]

@Smurf

Are u now

Good for u. Thank u so much, I intend to.  kiss kiss

U are right about some veteran Physicians and their cold and unflinching attitudes towards the patients,

Well here is a food for thought at least we know better.

Good Luck in ur residency. wink
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by ifyalways(f): 9:37pm On Mar 02, 2008
hmmmmmn  undecided
@ poster,hope all is well with you now?stay safe  cool
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by smurf(f): 10:23pm On Mar 02, 2008
@Poster
I sympathize with yourself and your wife on your recent loss, may God Almighty who gives the fruit of the womb, bless u both.

What are they "keeping coming", I believe the poster has been duel informed about the likely causes of a miscarriage, and even then the couples personal ob/gyn must have told them the cause and how to better prepare for future pregnancies, with that being said, CASE CLOSED.

I 3 know ko, I ten know ni.

Abeg knowledge is powere jare.
Re: What Are The Possible Causes Of Miscarriage(threatened Abortion) In Women by TOYOSI20(f): 10:32pm On Mar 02, 2008
My dear it is only the ignorant ones that talk of people knowing too much, grin

No obtained or acquired knowledge is ever wasted, in any little way I can

I hope I've been able to shed some light on the issue the "Original Poster", brought forward,

Whether I am a student OOOOOOOOOO or or I'm a professional, OOOOOOOO

if there is any information I can give to any member of this forum, in the near future it will definitely be my pleasure. cool

Afterall, shouldn't we be our Brother's keeper. tongue tongue tongue tongue

Smurf, Let them keep waithing for "keep it coming", . . . . . . . . . . . . . . angry

(1) (Reply)

Natural Home Remedies For (stomach) Ulcer / What You Need To Know About The Deadly Mango Worm / ‘Sort Your Waste For Recycling’ – LAWMA MD Urges Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.