Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji (88163 Views)

Checkout Photos Of GEJ Branded Phones By Orji Uzor Kalu's SLOK Mobile / Pictures From Inside Aso Rock (2014-2015) / Remembering Today In History: The Day Abacha Seized Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 25, 2012
who killed Abacha?
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2012
I believe his head of security Al Mustapha probably betrayed him.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 17, 2012
[size=14pt] Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died -part 6[/size]

By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji

While the meeting at Aso Council Chambers was in session, Major Al-Mustapha sat in the chair at the entrance, holding a newspaper in his hands, which he occasionally glanced at. He looked rather relaxed after ensuring that every necessary arrangement had been put in place. He occasionally responded to our discussions with selected and reserved comments. His aides quoted him as saying that nobody would leave the Council Chambers unless a new Military Head of State was selected by the meeting. His fear, I learnt, was that a vacuum was dangerous before General Abacha's burial later the same day. Mustapha declined all efforts by the few Pressmen around to narrate how General Abacha died. All efforts to bring him fully into our discussion also failed. Insiders at the "red carpet" revealed that shortly after Abacha died, Major Al-Mustapha took some strategic decisions that were of national significance. One of such decisions was the immediate evacuation of the condemned coup plotters in Jos Prison to a more secured place. The measure was probably to pre-empt any intention to summarily execute the plotters by possible overzealous forces.

From morning till 5 p.m., no official press statement on the death of General Abacha from any quarters was issued, even when the incident was already known all over the world. It was difficult to reconcile how such a major sad event could happen in the country and up till that time, nobody deemed it necessary to issue an official statement. We then decided to mount pressure on the then Minister of Information, Ikeobasi Mokelu, to make a pronouncement. It was after much pressure that an official statement was eventually issued. The press statement was five paragraphs in all, issued at about 5.25 p.m.

The atmosphere in the Villa then was overcast. On June 8 in Aso Rock, hierarchy of command collapsed. It was a day everybody was free. Shortly after the statement was issued, people began to troop towards the Red Carpet area (official residence of the Head of State). I immediately imagined that the body of the General might be Iying in state. I quickly followed, not certain if it was going to be possible to be allowed to have a glimpse of it.

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/forum/threads/the-day-abacha-died.10380/

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2012
[size=14pt] Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died -part 7[/size]

By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji

However, on getting to the house, I quietly walked in and saw the body of General Abacha wrapped in white cloth and laid in a small private sitting room in the residence. And I said to myself, "vanity upon vanity". His death to me was as dramatic as his ascendancy to power, equally evoking tragic memories of a nation that was unsafe of itself.

I returned to the Aso Council Chambers to wait for the outcome of the special session of the Provisional Ruling Council. The outcome of the meeting was all that the media was awaiting. The meeting was to answer the question "who succeeds Abacha?" But before long, the picture of who succeeds General Abacha began to emerge. Shortly after the meeting at Aso Council Chambers had ended, I saw General Abdulsalami Abubakar walk out of the meeting ahead of other senior military officers. This immediately conveyed the message that he had been chosen as the new leader. My conclusion was based on the tradition in the military, there is much respect for hierarchy and seniority. All other military officers and PRC members lined behind Abdulsalami, confirming the saying in the military that appointment supercedes rank. Besides, I watched and saw that he was dishing out orders which all complied to, even his seniors. He took control of the ad-hoc arrangement to convey the body of General Abacha to Kano for burial. He was seen giving orders to both high and low to arrange vehicles for movement to the airport.

The journey to Kano was already far behind schedule, given the fact that the burial must take place that same day in keeping with the Islamic injunction. We left Aso Rock for the airport at about 6 p.m.

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
[size=14pt] Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died -part 8[/size]

By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji

It was indeed a big tragedy for the members of former first family as they packed their belongings to join the convoy which took the corpse of the once powerful General home. I wept when I saw Madam, Mrs. Abacha being helped into the waiting car. She stared at Aso Rock in tears, a most difficult and tragic way to say good-bye. Tears rolled freely from all gathered as Madam was driven out of the Villa with her husband's corpse in front of her in a moving ambulance. The ambulance is normally one of the last vehicles in the usually long Presidential convoy. But on June 8, 1998, the ambulance was in the front with General Abacha's corpse. All other vehicles lined behind in a day-light reversal of history. The ambulance drove through the IBB bye-pass connecting the airport link road as the entourage made its way to Nnamdi Azikiwe airport. I was surprised that there was instant jubilation by passersby. Taxi drivers lined up at major junctions shouting shame! shame!! as the convoy drove past. Men and women ran after the convoy in utter disbelief of the turn of events. Some other people formed queues in groups with green leaves in their hands singing solidarity songs in a loud tone that suggested liberation from bondage. It was a day in which my biro refused to write and the lines in my jotter went blank. The journalist in me was overtaken by emotions as most of us in the convoy found it difficult to speak to one another. We simply lacked the words or the topic for discussion as our minds went blank and our brains went asleep.

On our arrival at the airport, the body of General Abacha, which was still wrapped in white cloth was carried into the hold of the presidential aircraft, zero-zero one. There was no particular arrangement on who should be in the aircraft, except that members of the first family and some PRC members were given priority. I however noticed that most PRC members at the airport were not even keen in accompanying the corpse of the late General to Kano.

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 2:01am On Dec 09, 2012
[size=18pt] Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - part 9[/size]

By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji

While the aircraft was being positioned, Madam and her children waited at the Presidential lounge with a cluster of relatives and very few associates. The usual crowd around the first family had begun to disappear. That day, it was as though the Abacha family was for the first time in many years on a lonely journey to an unknown destination, even though the aircraft was heading for Kano. It was incredible to imagine the Abachas without General Sani Abacha. As the saying goes, "when the big tree falls, all the birds will fly away".

The aircraft ready, Madam and her children left the lounge with the heavy burden of making their last flight on the presidential jet, with the corpse of the former Head of State on board. Mrs. Abacha climbed into the aircraft in tears with measured steps. Her children joined too, then some few friends and relations.

Inside, the plane was taken over by grief, tears and open weeping. We had already boarded the aircraft and almost getting set to take-off when General Abubakar curiously asked, "where is the corpse?" He was told that it was kept in the hold. "No, no, no, bring it inside!" the General commanded. And it was brought in and kept few seats away from where I sat. As the journey progressed, whenever there was turbulence, the body would shake, exposing the legs, which were partially covered. I sat in that aircraft speechless. My reflections were on life, death, power, influence and the vanity of human desires.

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by juman(m): 9:03am On Dec 09, 2012
Hmmmm.

Insha Allah, I will buy the book "Inside Aso Rock".
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
smiley
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 17, 2014
Abubakar Bagudu was an associate of IBB and once worked in the World Bank during IBB's time in power.
GenBuhari:
[size=20pt]HOW BRIBED PDP STOOGE POSING AS ABACHA'S BUSINESS ASSOCIATE MALICIOUSLY IMPLICATED ABACHA IN FOREIGN COURT CASE[/size]

Abubakar Bagudu appeared before a judge in Geneva for three days, last year. Here is what he told the court on 30 September, 1999.

''I am Abubakar Bagudu, a Nigerian citizen, born in Gwandu, in the northern part of the country in 1961. I belong to the Hausa tribe, one of the three major ethnic groups in the country. I first had compulsory primary education in Gwandu, then I studied economics in the University of Sokoto from 1979 to 1983. I then went to another university in Jos from 1988 to 1989, where I obtained my degree in economics. I was an assistant lecturer in the University of Sokoto between 1985 and 1989. Between 1983 and 1984, I did my NYSC for one year. From 1989 to 1991, I worked for Nigeria International Bank in Lagos.

I then went to Columbia University in New York from 1992 to 1993 where I obtained a master's degree in International Business.

In 1993 after my master's degree, I worked for six months in the World Bank in Washington. I wish to state that my master's degree was sponsored by the World Bank. In 1993, I came back to Nigeria. I engaged myself in consulting and international trade with my partner Mr. Ibrahim Turaki. We registered a company under the name EPCEL Ltd., Lagos. We represented the French company Pasteur Merieux Connaught. We were importing machinery.

Up till now, we are still in business and I maintain a home in Lagos, even though I now spend most of my time in London.

Mr. Ibrahim Turaki and I have stopped working for EPCEL Ltd., which we sold in 1995. In February 1994, Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha, eldest son of former head of state, General Sani Abacha, joined my partner and I to form the company, Morgan Procurement Corporation, Lagos, among others. We were mostly importing vaccines. One of the companies we established is Mecosta Securities Ltd., BVI, in October 1995. We intended to engage in debt recovery and arbitration between creditors and debtors. At the inception of Mecosta Securities Ltd., three of us namely Mr. Ibrahim Abacha, Mr. Mohammed Sani Abacha and myself had equal shares.

Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha died in a plane crash in January 1996.

On that occasion, Mr. Mohammed Sani Abacha, his brother, the next in line, took up the late brother's share in Morgan Procurement Corporation. He also took over the shares in Mecosta Securities Ltd. In fact, Mr. Mohammed Sani Abacha and I became equal shareholders in the company (50% - 50%). I have never held political office in Nigeria. However, my family has always been close to power. Members of my family have never held political or public office, with the exception of my father who was a Director of Primary Education in his state, Kebbi State, my state of origin. May I remind you that Nigeria is a federation of 36 states.

Kebbi State shares a border with Benin Republic. Commercially speaking, the state is highly developed because a large quantity of goods transit through it. My elder brother, Bello Bagudu, was elected a member of the federal parliament in February 1999. He is one of the six representing Kebbi State.

Neither myself nor any other member of the extended family has occupied public or political office. As for my business partners, Mr. Ibrahim Turaki was elected governor of Jigawa State in February 1999. Mr. Mohammed Sani Abacha has never held political or public office. However, as I said earlier, he is one of the sons of the former head of state, who died in June 1998.

Talking about money, my family is one of the rich families of Nigeria. I cannot state the exact figures of my family fortune.

I can state that no member of my family needs to work to earn a living. Each member of the family is engaged in managing the family assets. As for me, I do not need to work because I have a personal fortune worth tens of millions of US Dollars, though I cannot quote an exact figure. Moreover, my only wife also has a personal fortune, which comes from her family or gifts. My wife is not a member of the Abacha family, nor does she belong to any of the families that once ruled Nigeria. If I am not mistaking, members of my wife's family occupy no public or political post. I am aware that the judge will ask me about relationship with a few individuals.

General Sani Abacha He was head of state of Nigeria between November, 1993 and June 1998, up till his death at age 57. General Abacha took power under the following circumstances:

Following June 1993 elections organised by former head of state, General Babangida, a civilian president was elected namely Mr. Abiola. The elections were annulled by General Babangida, officially due to electoral malpractices; as a result of the annulment, there were riots and disturbance of public peace in the country; as a remedy, General Babangida decided to establish a transitional government and appointed Ernest Shonekan head of state. He was overthrown by General Sani Abacha. Before being appointed head of state, General Sani Abacha was a career military officer. He was one of the five most powerful military men in the country.

I met General Sani Abacha for the first time in 1979 in his house in Kano, his native town. I was introduced to him at home, by his son, Ibrahim Sani Abacha, but anytime I met him at home, I used to greet him. He knew I was one of the friends of his son and he knew my name. I do not think he knew any other member of my family. After he assumed power, I continued to meet him in the same manner as before. At no time did I have commercial or business links with General Sani Abacha. Our discussions were strictly limited to political exchanges. After the death of Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha, I continued visiting the home of the general as in the past, but this time in company of Mr. Mohammed Sani Abacha. At this juncture, the general became aware of my training, asked me a few questions on the economy, but we never had any business relationship.

Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha As I said earlier, he was my childhood friend. I knew him when we were very young. It is possible for him to bear Alhaji instead of Mister, which, according to Islamic culture, means that Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha has gone on pilgrimage to Mecca.

Therefore his name can also be Alhaji Ibrahim Sani Abacha. It was Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha who was my friend. Mr.Mohammed Sani Abacha only came in after the death of Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha. Ibrahim and Mohammed Sani Abacha brothers had an international sugar company. Therefore as early as 1985, we had business links without being business partners.

As far back as February 1994, Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha and myself became business partners and Morgan Procurement Corporation was established thereafter. Our partnership began under the following circumstances: For several years, even before I went on course to Washington, Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha, had proposed that we work together; I had been refusing because before 1993, I did not want to work and, in 1993, my job in Washington took most of my interest and time; I agreed to work with Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha in 1994 because the latter had a huge fortune and I had a lot of ideas about how to invest or manage the fortune. At that time, my fortune was much smaller than now. Even then, I did not need to work for a living.

Between February 1994 and today, my fortune has considerably increased and a big portion of it comes from funds deposited by the Central Bank of Nigeria in favour of Mecosta Securities, in the book of Goldmann Sachs, Zurich, in April 1997.

In reply to a question from the investigating judge, I explained that there is no direct link between the rise to power of General Sani Abacha in November 1993 and the fact that I accepted in February 1994 to become the business partner of his eldest son, Mr. Ibrahim Sani Abacha. It was only coincidental. However, it is probable that the fact that my new trading partner is the son of the head of state contributed to a large extent to the expansion of our business.

I am aware that my hearing will last at least a whole day, but I am prepared to go through it. I already have appointments tomorrow, but I can easily come back to Geneva. Meanwhile, I am leaving a copy of a diagram showing the itinerary of funds, the third agreement dated 16 August 1999 signed with Nigeria, as well as the draft law negotiated between the parties and which was to be deposited with High Court of London for authentication''.

http://holysmoke.org/minton/mintonia.htm
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by happystep(m): 9:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
thoth:

we should allow for disabilities and impairments on behalf of our citizens, considering the importance of educating nigerians i can see reasons with his later decisions though i doubt its efficiency.

I made enquiries and i found out that the Abacha truly owns a modest house, i am still waiting for replies for people who are closer to the son. This is the most startling information i have had on this man.
What is most confusing is how people still choose to accept and believe those allegations heaped on Abacha considering the amount of visual facts on the ground.
Do you mean to say that Abacha loots stories were fabricated by Obasanjo's government and the rest of the world.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by happystep(m): 9:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
GenBuhari:
I believe his head of security Al Mustapha probably betrayed him.
That is not a fair judgment. Even though I am not of the north, it is evident that mustapha was to Gen. Abacha, what Idiagbo was to Gen. Buhari— his best confidant — which explains why all the grievances against Abacha was shift to Mustapha, by they that had alledged to depose Abacha by force. grin
Anyway I still don't understand why no one have told us what killed Abacha, since he was seen healthy and hearty less than a day before his death. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by happystep(m): 9:26pm On Mar 10, 2017
You have to understand that once the Western world can't control your government, the next option for them is to heap economic sanctions on your state.
GenBuhari:
Abacha's economic peformance (verifiable by CBN data and world bank data):

Abacha never accepted world bank of IMF loans

Abacha reduced inflation from 54% to approx 8.5%

Abacha maintained the exchange rate at N22= $1

Abacha paid of approx $6bn of national debt

Abacha increased our reserves by approx $9

And all this was whilst he was facing economic sanctions from western countries who did not like his pro-Nigeria policies.

And all this during a period when oil prices were as low as $9 per barrel

He commanded respect and influence in Africa and rest of the world for his interventions in Sierra Leone and Liberia fulfilling our role as regional superpower.

It would have need him to be a magician to have managed to loot money as well!!
The facts and evidence are overwhelming that Abacha never looted.

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by obyback: 5:51pm On Jun 08, 2018
Seun dominique lalasticlala can you move this thread to the front page for history sake. Thanks
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by charain: 8:06pm On Jun 08, 2018
Which mod move this piece of propaganda to the front page.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by israelmao(m): 8:07pm On Jun 08, 2018
Story,story 25years after.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Paperwhite(m): 8:07pm On Jun 08, 2018
Nigeria really had a peaceful interlude in our political journey.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by shamecurls(m): 8:12pm On Jun 08, 2018
I was suppose to have a meeting with him the following week
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by FTrebirth(m): 8:12pm On Jun 08, 2018
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Harrynight(m): 8:15pm On Jun 08, 2018

Shout out to whoever push this 2012 thread back to FP in this 2018

Must be an APC member/supporter they like taking us backward angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by adisabarber(m): 8:16pm On Jun 08, 2018
ehmusshogun:
oro po ninu iwe kobo

O su mi o.
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by emi14: 8:18pm On Jun 08, 2018
GenBuhari:
I have a very strong suspicion that Al Mustapha had a hand in Abacha's killing. It seems he betrayed Abacha and handed power to IBB. The man deserves to be in prison for being such a fool and allowing himself to be double-crossed.

What is your opinion?
Gen Sani Abacha was defense boss under IBB as CnC.
What are you talking about?
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by blazer2018: 8:23pm On Jun 08, 2018
GenBuhari:
Conspiracy theory are those which are stated with out concrete evidence.

But the evidence that Abacha was a great leader and that he never looted, is overwhelming !

Who accused Abacha of looting ?

The trio of IBB, Absulsalami Abubakar and Obj - all men known to be most dishonest and biggest looters in African history?

Which honest man accused Abacha of looting?

D only difference between the 3 of them was that one was not greedy with power
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by MrPresident1: 8:26pm On Jun 08, 2018
I Remember Orji very well.

''Orji Ogbonaya Orji, Presidential Villa Abuja'' that voice on Radio Nigeria as he signed off his reporting...

2 Likes

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by omerah86(m): 8:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
If I read dat long write up make I bend..
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by BiafranDel: 8:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
airmark:
Genbuhari, why did u break the article again and repost. You bowed to silly pressure and it showed u are a mumu. Most nigerians are lazy readers, you don't need to encourage them.
you talk like a fool. what has reading the whole post got to do with nigerians being lazy readers. Who are you to decide what people reads or not. How many books have you read or written in your entire life to make such nonsense comment. Una go just dey do oversabi for internet meanwhile nothing to show for it in reality

1 Like

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by Neoteny(m): 8:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
GenBuhari:
I have a very strong suspicion that Al Mustapha had a hand in Abacha's killing. It seems he betrayed Abacha and handed power to IBB. The man deserves to be in prison for being such a fool and allowing himself to be double-crossed.

What is your opinion?

that abacha was assassinated is without question.

that it couldnt have been done without Al Mustapha's complicity is without doubt.

2 Likes

Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by SmartPolician: 8:45pm On Jun 08, 2018
ypzilanti:
For a journalist, the author is a really boring writer. Check out the articles in the Economist and forbes...even the back page of Thisday newspaper. Commercial writing is a craft and a talent. Journalists need to be paid more in Nigeria to attract the best hands.

I'm glad u noticed it too

Check out news on Nytimes, I normally have my pen and paper to add new phrases to my grammar book.

Nigerian journalists are miles away from writing engaging content

Femi Aribisala is doing well though
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by BiafranDel: 8:46pm On Jun 08, 2018
Re: Inside Aso Rock: The Day Abacha Died - By Orji Ogbonnaya Orji by bibicici(f): 8:47pm On Jun 08, 2018
Wow! Nice read, great composition, I enjoyed it.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ekiti Youths Hail Tinubu As He Arrives APC Campaign Grounds (VIDEO) / Lord Lugard Footbridge Kaduna: 116 Years After (Photos, Video) / David Mark's Look When Amaechi Said He's Never Taken Bribe Before. (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.