Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves (9567 Views)

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination / See Dead Bodies From Abuja Bombing (Photos) / Drama At NIMASA As Jauro Displaces Obi As Acting DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Korrection(m): 6:45am On Jul 06, 2012
BY Ndahi Marama

MAIDUGURI—A heavy rainfall in Maiduguri, Borno State capital, from Wednesday evening till the early hours of yesterday, has displaced over 10,000 residents, with property worth millions of naira destroyed.

In Jajeri Moslem Cemetery in Maiduguri and Jere Council Area, over 500 dead bodies were washed up from their graves. A 10-year-old, who was buried two days ago, was also washed up.

The rainfall, which started at 5.00pm, Wednesday, stopped at 7.00pm; continued again by 2.00am till 6.00am, yesterday. The down-pour was said to be the heaviest in the state since the commencement of the rainy season.

The most affected areas are: Bullumkutu, Ajillari, Jajeri, London Ciki, Polo, Bolori, Ummarari, Maduganari, Gomari Airport, Gwange and Mary wards of the metropolis. Most of the residents in these areas had to stay indoors. Others were seen evacuating their property and laying the items under the sun and on trees to dry.

Mallam Bukar Maina, a resident, said the affected people have met and unanimously endorsed a letter to Governor Shettima to come to their aid.

Maina said: “This is not the first time we have taken our complaint to the governor on the devastating effect of flooding in the area due to our proximity to River Gadambul. But all our cries fell on deaf ears. We hope this time around the governor will listen to us.”

One of the victims of the flooding in Bullumkutu, who is a senior civil servant(names withheld), said the state government, under Governor Kashim Shettima, was paying lip service to the environment sector.

A woman, who gave her name as Hajiya Asabe Umara in Bolori area, described the situation as very pathetic and destructive.

She said: “It is by the grace of Almighty Allah that I was able to deliver a baby boy in our house this morning(yesterday).
“The massive flooding prevented any vehicle from coming to take me to a nearby hospital.”

Meanwhile, Governor Shettima has said the state government has awarded contracts worth N14 billion for the construction of roads and drainage in Bullumkutu, Dala, Abuja Talaka, Bullumkutu Tsalake, among other wards of the metropolis, to check flooding.

He said there was ongoing planting of over 10 million Arabic trees/seedlings across the 27 council areas of the state.
He said there was need for Borno State government to embark on massive construction of roads and drainage networks in the flood-prone areas of the state.

He said: “It is unfortunate that apart from some of my valuable documents and property which were destroyed, some section of my only hard-earned two bedroom bungalow was brought down by the flood. I am now totally confused as I have nowhere to go to with my family of 10.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/downpour-displaces-10000-in-borno-washes-up-500-bodies-from-graves/
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Korrection(m): 6:47am On Jul 06, 2012
Never heard of this except in a serious war torn areas...whats happening ?
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 06, 2012
In Jajeri Moslem Cemetery in Maiduguri and Jere Council Area, over 500 dead bodies were washed up from their graves. A 10-year-old, who was buried two days ago, was also washed up.

Sounds funny! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Korrection(m): 6:49am On Jul 06, 2012
na wao ...dont our muslim brothers dig graves b4 burying the dead?
bayooooooo:

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by amaham(m): 7:08am On Jul 06, 2012
What an ill fated metropolis. Durin de dry season is as hot as hell,if it rains it floods,durin harmattan is a combo of sandstorms,freezing temperature and flies invasion while all year round is a battle ground of terrorists.

6 Likes

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Mandelaguy(m): 7:11am On Jul 06, 2012
Let them change their ways in maiduguri.

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Korrection(m): 7:23am On Jul 06, 2012
Wahala..yet people lives there...
amaham: What an ill fated metropolis. Durin de dry season is as hot as hell,if it rains it floods,durin harmattan is a combo of sandstorms,freezing temperature and flies invasion while all year round is a battle ground of terrorists.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Tyche(m): 7:31am On Jul 06, 2012
You said it all ...
amaham: What an ill fated metropolis. Durin de dry season is as hot as hell,if it rains it floods,durin harmattan is a combo of sandstorms,freezing temperature and flies invasion while all year round is a battle ground of terrorists.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Korrection(m): 7:35am On Jul 06, 2012
Korrection: BY Ndahi Marama

MAIDUGURI—A heavy rainfall in Maiduguri, Borno State capital, from Wednesday evening till the early hours of yesterday, has displaced over 10,000 residents, with property worth millions of naira destroyed.

The rainfall, which started at 5.00pm, Wednesday, stopped at 7.00pm; continued again by 2.00am till 6.00am, yesterday. The down-pour was said to be the heaviest in the state since the commencement of the rainy season.

The most affected areas are: Bullumkutu, Ajillari, Jajeri, London Ciki, Polo, Bolori, Ummarari, Maduganari, Gomari Airport, Gwange and Mary wards of the metropolis. Most of the residents in these areas had to stay indoors. Others were seen evacuating their property and laying the items under the sun and on trees to dry.

Mallam Bukar Maina, a resident, said the affected people have met and unanimously endorsed a letter to Governor Shettima to come to their aid.

Maina said: “This is not the first time we have taken our complaint to the governor on the devastating effect of flooding in the area due to our proximity to River Gadambul. But all our cries fell on deaf ears. We hope this time around the governor will listen to us.”

One of the victims of the flooding in Bullumkutu, who is a senior civil servant(names withheld), said the state government, under Governor Kashim Shettima, was paying lip service to the environment sector.

A woman, who gave her name as Hajiya Asabe Umara in Bolori area, described the situation as very pathetic and destructive.

She said: “It is by the grace of Almighty Allah that I was able to deliver a baby boy in our house this morning(yesterday).
“The massive flooding prevented any vehicle from coming to take me to a nearby hospital.”

Meanwhile, Governor Shettima has said the state government has awarded contracts worth N14 billion for the construction of roads and drainage in Bullumkutu, Dala, Abuja Talaka, Bullumkutu Tsalake, among other wards of the metropolis, to check flooding.

He said there was ongoing planting of over 10 million Arabic trees/seedlings across the 27 council areas of the state.
He said there was need for Borno State government to embark on massive construction of roads and drainage networks in the flood-prone areas of the state.

He said: “It is unfortunate that apart from some of my valuable documents and property which were destroyed, some section of my only hard-earned two bedroom bungalow was brought down by the flood. I am now totally confused as I have nowhere to go to with my family of 10.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/downpour-displaces-10000-in-borno-washes-up-500-bodies-from-graves/
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Korrection(m): 7:36am On Jul 06, 2012
Never knew we had a town called London in Bornu...[quote author=Korrection][/quote]
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by victorazy(m): 8:04am On Jul 06, 2012
Borno State is the gate of hell right now. We're picking human skull on the floor like mango

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by miteolu(m): 9:05am On Jul 06, 2012
If possible Borno state should be carved out of Nigeria. Borno full of cry day in day out. Borno State wastes FG monies. Upon all no result.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 06, 2012
10 million ARABIC trees? must everything in that region be religiously related... even tree sef.!
hardluck to my Maidas frends sha...

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by benjazy: 9:13am On Jul 06, 2012
what the hell....500 dead bodies!
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Takara: 9:15am On Jul 06, 2012
dirtymoney: 10 million ARABIC trees? must everything in that region be religiously related... even tree sef.!
hardluck to my Maidas frends sha...

Is Arabic a religion? See what sentiment and phobia can do to a human being

2 Likes

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by akereconfi: 9:15am On Jul 06, 2012

nnaaa eh me I taya o.....AWUSAland
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:17am On Jul 06, 2012
The government should go get us Bakassi back and Give Borno to the Camerounians!! How the Bleep does a body thats supposed to be buried at a minimum depth of 6 ft get washed up by a flood?!

Nigeria has some serious Epidemics heading our way in the future with the way we are going!! Dumpsite, Boreholes and now shallow graves.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by akereconfi: 9:17am On Jul 06, 2012
PERILIOUS time shall come
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by azimibraun: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2012
Hw the hell is maiduguri going 2 attract sympathy frm nigerians, even if d entire state is submerged in water? Cld dis be Gods warning on an area dt hs wasted so mch innocent lives? I grew up hearing God once destroyed d world with water and common sense tells me dt God hs still gt d skill, d tool and d swag to do it again. He may nt neccessarily use flames. I sympathise with d residents still. Allah akbar! Jumaat kareem.

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Lushka(m): 9:20am On Jul 06, 2012
Flood in a desert ?...........turn back from ur evil ways

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Lakayana: 9:22am On Jul 06, 2012
What do expect from graves that they scratch like chickens and drop their dead of course even the slightest wind will out their dead bokoharam corpse. Arabic trees these people will never learn, they are planting the arabic trees now when they are fully grown the monsters will surely turn against them.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Azidogen2: 9:22am On Jul 06, 2012
that place is hell on earth. Chai the people for there don sufferrrrrrrr. The governor is a heartless beast. On top of their woes boko haram, haba God prove that you are alive and all powerful. Do not be slow or we all shall perish. Jesus Christ comeeeeeeeeee!!!!

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Redhot111(m): 9:28am On Jul 06, 2012
Hmmm, never knew there were still up to 10,000 residents in dat state after d daily bombing dat takes place there.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 06, 2012
bayooooooo:

maybe the idi0ts dig only 2ft and bury the dead peeps. Senselezz barbarians
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by redsun(m): 9:32am On Jul 06, 2012
I cant help but laugh. Double wahala for dead and the owner of dead.

Nigerians are hell dwellers as a result of fundamental ignorance. By the way,how come moslem dont dig their graves deep? Mere laziness,i presumed.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by greall1: 9:34am On Jul 06, 2012
It”s possible because in dry season their land hard to dig. If they want to bury.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Agiliti(m): 9:36am On Jul 06, 2012

8 Likes

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by odedipapa(m): 9:40am On Jul 06, 2012
akereconfi: PERILIOUS time shall come
Perilous times are already here
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by stepo707: 9:41am On Jul 06, 2012
Redhot111: Hmmm, never knew there were still up to 10,000 residents in dat state after d daily bombing dat takes place there.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Agiliti: This kain maidugri sef. If you dey live, koboko haram wan flog you enter ground, as you don enter ground, rain wan carry you come back undecided
cheesy cheesy
redsun: I cant help but laugh. Double wahala for dead and the owner of dead.

Nigerians are hell dwellers as a result of fundamental ignorance. By the way,how come moslem dont dig their graves deep? Mere laziness,i presumed.
grin grin grin

This are really trying moments now all over Nigeria.This is the time to seek the face of God.
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by maclatunji: 9:42am On Jul 06, 2012
Oh dear!
Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 06, 2012
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
.......Albert Einstein

1 Like

Re: Downpour Displaces 10,000 In Borno, Washes Up 500 Bodies From Graves by redsun(m): 10:28am On Jul 06, 2012
greall1: It”s possible because in dry season their land hard to dig. If they want to bury.

That is why they should use their brains and mechanize. Necessity they say is the mother of invention. Or better still,they can burn the bodies like the hindus do . Oh no,i forgot they wont be able to find fuel for fire.

A society that does not understand and control the intricasies of MACHINE is virtually a helpless society,like nigeria.

Man has to use his head,hands and legs to pave his way in life. Nobody has been there before,even oyinbo. We ard all helpless,until we try.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Africa Backwards & Why Are Blacks The Most Unsuccessful Race / Again, Lai Mohammed Accuses Media Of Under-Reporting Military Successes / Phrank Shaibu: Tinubu Set To Foist Propaganda As State Policy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.