Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,769 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Whose Party? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Party? (979 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Party? by olanajim(m): 11:17pm On Dec 02, 2007
A jobless guy has just put lady in family way. That  is not the news afterall in a city where a dozen unplanned babies are born daily. The news is that every well intentioned guest would have to cough out #1, 200 to buy Aso Ebi that normally cost #700 to celebrate the birth of unwanted foetus! And they must do this within three days.

It had been like that in western part of Naija recently. Maybe, it happens everywhere, who knows.

Why must everyone, regardless of their purchasing power pay for the party they did not prepare for? Or clothes they don't like? Personally, I hate Ankara. And the one I had are from "party investment". Must they throw party even when it is obvious that the celebrants are ill-equiped for the task of raising a family? Whose party?

I am angry and I am bitter at having to pay for people's wedding, naming ceremony, burrials etc when I know it is a waste of resource. In the last 2 months, I have purchased such clothes reluctantly just to please the celebrants. I got to the venue and all I get are plastic cup, match, rubber slippers, pure-water and chewing gums! All these on top of a badly cooked jolof rice. And when you don't buy their substandard Aso Ebi, all you get is backstabbing, and other form of subtle humiliations.

Aso Ebi, is a good innovation that is now being used as a business venture and fund raising ceremony by the poor/greedy folks. Must they throw party when they can't afford it? Must they celebrate unwanted pregnancy, and emergency wedding?

Fellow nairalanders, I need education here. Maybe I am missing a point. Must we incur liability for other people's party? How is the best way to go about it? I have already told the girl I am not paying for Aso Ebi. This is the second time in a month that that family is celebrating with Aso Ebi. I wonder why we can't wear the first one.

Please I need advices and input on this. Maybe I was wrong, maybe!
Re: Whose Party? by Nobody: 12:51am On Dec 03, 2007
Well in cases like this I wear what I have and give no damn about Aso ebi. If Asoebi is red I will wear red
Re: Whose Party? by janami(f): 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2007
just wear what u ve got, nobody canf orce u to pay for what u dnt want. smiley
Re: Whose Party? by ndubest(m): 11:18am On Dec 04, 2007
, IF YOU WILL NOT ASK OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU WHEN U HAVE SUCH EVENT THEN
, DONT DO IT FOR THEM, peroid
Re: Whose Party? by ifyalways(f): 4:22pm On Dec 04, 2007
ndubest:

, IF YOU WILL NOT ASK OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU WHEN You HAVE SUCH EVENT THEN
, DONT DO IT FOR THEM, peroid
at the spot.

do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Whose Party? by janami(f): 7:22am On Dec 05, 2007
lol true. Do unto others what u want them to do for u, but buying two aso ebi for a family under one month lipsrsealed
Re: Whose Party? by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 05, 2007
Am also against the idea of aso ebi, I have clothes to wear for any occasion why do i need to buy more when there are more important things to do. They get you in debts. Members of my family know me they dont bring it to me, we have a watseful mentality.
Someone that can not afford three square meals will be planning to have a huge party and all the money goes to the drain becasue after the party is over you are left with debts and your sorry life
Re: Whose Party? by olanajim(m): 9:45am On Dec 05, 2007
Exactly. But these party mentality is been taken to ridiculous level. Imagine you attend a party and you are the odd one in the park. It plays psychological effect on hapless people who do not want to seperated from the bunch. The poor are mostly affected as they may not want to offend the rich by not partaking in their party. They probably do this so that the rich would be a part of their own party.

Now when it is time for the poor, they starts hoarding substandard Aso Ebi and Gele at exhobitant costs.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Kills Wife In Us / Bone-faced Liar / Help! Her Marriage Is Failing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.