Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? (4943 Views)

Revamping Our Dying Literature Section... I Nominate Divepen1 And Llaykorn Mods / The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse / What Happened To Our Reading Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by olanajim(m): 4:18am On Dec 03, 2007
Nigerians don't read anymore! What are the problems and how do we revive the Reading Culture?
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by LolaDee(f): 5:04pm On Dec 10, 2007
I think generally, reading for pleasure in the Nigerian Culture is not something that has been widely encouraged. Most have been brought up to view reading as something you do in order to pass examinations and parents encouraged their children to bury themselves studying text books. The result being; adults who grew up to view reading as a necessary evil or chore which if they would avoid if they could help it.
So probably promoting the view that reading could also be something pleasurable would be a start, changing current attitudes,  then maybe this could be the start to halting the decline.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by Nobody: 5:27am On Dec 11, 2007
When I was a child, my parents bought more story books than "toys." I also think television, mobile phones,and the internet is more appealing to kids than having a book to themselves.
Solution
It is the duty of the parents not even school teachers to instill a reading culture in their wards by buying books rather than unnnecssary toys, christmas clothes etc. And also restricting television.
In our days we had just NTA that commenced broadcast by 4 pm but now television is a 24 hr deal. (Glory be to God for the advent of private television station.) Notwithstanding television watching has to be decreased.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by WesleyanA(f): 7:09am On Dec 11, 2007
i don't think we had a reading culture before in the first place. sad

build public libraries in communities
sell papers written in pidgin (?)
cheaper books and papers in general
etc
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 11, 2007
WesleyanA:

i don't think we had a reading culture before in the first place. sad

Oh yes we did. I remember in primary school we all had reading corners where we could go and read books at leisure periods. Birthday gifts always came in the form of your favorite novel. Up until senior secondary school the popular books doing the rounds then were the pacesetters novels and the famous African Writers Series books.

Today 24hrs TV and coolfm has replaced the need to bury our heads in a good old book by Amos Tutuola.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by LolaDee(f): 10:54pm On Dec 13, 2007
erm, where and when was this? reading corners? I beg to differ, I can only say you were lucky enough to have that but I can tell you it certainly would've been a rare sight. My love for reading was nutured by my parents who were willing to think outside the box.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by saha(f): 8:57pm On Jan 09, 2008
Parents schools & society need to get involved.parents don't have time to read themselves teying to make ends meet.schools teach kids to read solely to pass exams society just doesn't care if books are written or read.Government, there are no medals for reading so govt doesn't really care.individually we can promote book reading by forming book clubs. & acting as rolemodels for others.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by biife: 9:15am On Jan 14, 2008
promoting the advantages of reading.
setting up programmes, competitions, etc
that will really inspire folks to read.

making books, magazines, etc affordable
and available.

encouraging fine writers to write and be published;
discouraging hungry writers.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by Fela2: 11:25am On Jan 14, 2008
i don't think we had a reading culture before in the first place.

Of course we did. Back in the days, it was hugely fashionable to have a Pacesetters, Famous Five or Hardley Chase in the back pocket of your Levi's jeans and many a Levi in those days retain the tell-tale fade-stamp of the permanent book-in-the-pocket.

One of the problems, I think, is that a lot of the "mainstream" reading materials (Famous Five, Hardley Chase, Harold Robins, Sydney Sheldon, Mills and Boon, etc) were imported and the SAP days probably did us in due to:

1. High cost of importation because of the devaluation of the Naira
2. High pressure on time due to the "panic" among the citizenry and the exigency to make ends meet, and
3. Intellectual decay due to corruption as well as physical and mental poverty

However, it looks like we are gradually getting back on track.  We can further boost this renaissance by encouraging more stores like Nu-Metro to come on stream (e.g. with tax incentives, etc); encouraging more on-line book retailers now that we have a viable payment system in Inter-switch, and, perhaps developing public libraries in all LGAs.
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by ifyalways(f): 9:12pm On Jan 19, 2008
saha:

Parents schools & society need to get involved.parents don't have time to read themselves teying to make ends meet.schools teach kids to read solely to pass exams society just doesn't care if books are written or read.Government, there are no medals for reading so govt doesn't really care.individually we can promote book reading by forming book clubs. & acting as rolemodels for others.
well said
davidylan:

Today 24hrs TV and coolfm has replaced the need to bury our heads in a good old book by Amos Tutuola.
so true
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by papine(m): 12:27pm On Feb 01, 2008
So, What is the way forward now?
there should be solution to this problem.
be 4 it gets out of hand. sad
Re: How Do We Revive Our Dying Reading Culture? by tpia5: 8:51am On Mar 23, 2013
i think the reading culture is gone for good.

things have changed, everything is different now.

(1) (Reply)

Which Do You Prefer: Stephen Covey Or John Maxwell / Linda Ikeji Presents Her First Book "It Takes You" Today / Mrs. Violet Maduka (A Story Series)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.